• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Anime

Ghibli films on Film Four! Here's the schedule:

Jan 01 - Princess Mononoke
Jan 05 - Princess Mononoke
Jan 07 - The Little Norse Prince
Jan 08 - Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro
Jan 11 - The Little Norse Prince
Jan 12 - Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro
Jan 14 - Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
Jan 15 - Pom Poko
Jan 18 - Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
Jan 19 - Pom Poko
Jan 21 - Laputa: The Castle in the Sky
Jan 22 - Kiki's Delivery Service
Jan 25 - Laputa: The Castle in the Sky
Jan 26 - Kiki's Delivery Service
Jan 28 - Only Yesterday
Jan 29 - Porco Rosso

"Pom Poko" has taken the place of "My Neighbor Totoro".

Feb 1 - Only Yesterday
Feb 2 - Porco Rosso
Feb 4 - Princess Mononoke
Feb 4 - Grave of the Fireflies
Feb 5 - The Cat Returns
Feb 8 - Princess Mononoke
Feb 8 - Grave of the Fireflies
Feb 9 - The Cat Returns

Most of the films will be shown with their English dub.

Source

Shame about Totoro. Don't miss Kiki's Delivery Service, it's only on twice.

Anime/manga recommendations:

Fullmetal Alchemist-alchemist brothers lose mom to disease and figure that they can bring her back to life through alchemy--big mistake. Ed ends up with mechanical limbs, Al ends up with his soul attached to a suit of armor. How to recover Al's lost body--can the mysterious Philosopher's Stone help? And what does it have to do with the deadly humonculi? (a sucky US dub is now on Adult Swim, and being released in stores-anime series is finished-except for movie projects--manga series is still going)
Trigun--set against the backdrop of the far future, some sort of colonization fleet from earth crash-lands on desert planet, survivor culture mirrors US old west. Two brothers with supernatural powers fight to decide the future of the human survivors. One brother, Vash the Stampede, causes such much destruction where ever he goes that he is labeled a walking natural disaster. Two ladies from the Bernadelli Insurance Agency are sent to monitor him and keep him from causing more claims against the agency. (decent dub--anime is done, manga is still being released--music from this series was also good)
One Piece--don't be put off by the weird art--a great story about a young pirate who wants to become Pirate King and find the treasure One Piece. He collects strong comrades along the way, each with their own dream to fulfill. Great emphasis on friendship. (don't, don't, DON"T watch the funimation slaughter of it if you can any way get around it--look for a official release that has the original series, Japanese voices with subtitles--both anime and manga are ongoing)
Cardcaptor Sakura--girl opens book in archaeologist's dad study, magic cards come flying out, turn into various creatures and take off to plague Tokyo, she is ordered by keeper of the book to re-capture creatures-then a rival card-captor appears. Don't let the big-eyed art fool you, series is well-written, with good character development. (both anime and manga are finished--beware of the the edited US version Cardcaptors--it isn't a dub of the Japanese series)
Fruits Basket--orphaned schoolgirl meets family under a strange curse and seeks to help them undo it. (US dub was good quality, anime finished, manga ongoing)
Naruto--goofy ninja kid dreams of being top ninja in town, unaware that his body houses spirit of deadly demon, the Nine-Tailed Fox. (Cartoon Network has a dub of this on now--both anime and manga are ongoing)
Bleach--boy who can see ghosts meets shinigami, accidently causes her a severe injury, and must take her place fighting bad ghosts "hollow" during her recuperation. ( both anime and manga are ongoing, anime only available in fansub so far, but it will probably be licensed soon-manga already licensed)
Samurai Champloo--masterless samurai and fight-loving bandit accompany a restaurant worker on her quest for "the samurai who smells like sunflowers." (ditto what everyone else has been saying)
Cowboy Bebop (''--also check out series soundtracks)
Hellsing--ancient monster-fighting organization in England keeps pet vampire as a secret weapon, must fight resurrection of Nazi menace armed w/werewolves and zombies. (decent dub, anime series done, new OVA's still coming out, manga ongoing)
Samurai Deeper Kyo--mild mannered travelling apothecary shares body with famous deadly samurai Demon Eyes Kyo; is accompanied by female bounty hunter who schemes after Demon Eyes Kyo's bounty. (decent dub, anime done, manga ongoing)
Ranma 1/2--teenage martial artist and dad fall into cursed springs during martial arts training; boy turns into girl when doused w/cold water, dad turns into panda, hot water reverses the effects (decent dub, although lead character voice actor changes mid-series, anime and manga done)
Inu Yasha--school girl falls down temple well, ends ups in feudal Japan, meets dog-demon and other assorted characters (pretty bad dubs except for title role, anime done, manga ongoing)
Mantanti Loki Ragnorak aka Mythical Detective Loki--strange yet charming series about a girl who's obsessed with the supernatural and the seemingly grade-school aged kid she meets who runs a detective agency. (anime done, unsure of manga status, not licensed or released by anyone in US--check ebay for hong kong dvd subs)
Shingetsutan Tsukihime--I hear this was based on a h-game, but you can't tell it. Boy who has been mysteriously fostered out by family is just as mysteriously called home again. A murderer is stalking the city. On the way to his new home, boy commits an monstrous crime--or was it just a dream? (licensed, should be available for purchase from most anime sources)

New this season, unlicensed, you can only get fansubs so far:
Mushishi--man travels through Japan hunting Mushi--a sort of supernatural building block of life--ridding people of their more harmul manifestations. It's a slow quiet tale, with beautiful animation--almost like a Ghibli series, without the obiquitous girl.
Blood +--girl with no memory is adopted by family. Gradually it comes to light that she is much older than she seems--an ancient being whose job/curse is to hunt other ancient creatures who prey on mankind.

Best source for finding out where to get fansubs of unlicensed series is http://www.animesuki.com. They are extremely scrupulous about licensing. If you have the option, I recommend watching the shows in Japanese with subtitles. The Japanese anime voice actors make the US dub actors sound like wooden poles. For me, listening to the American dubs of my favorite series is akin to hearing fingernails on a chalkboard.

Trigun has just been given a new R1 release, the first volume is out now. As well as a fancy metal case, the original opening credit sequences - which were different for every episode - have been restored.

Anyone who likes sci-fi must watch Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.

And there's also Berserk, one of the best fantasy shows ever made.

Robotech: The Masters Vol.1 in February

Manga have announced the UK Region 2 DVD release of Robotech: The Masters - Volume 1 (Remastered Extended Edition) for 27th February 2006 priced at £14.99. The Robotech saga enters its second chapter with this opening volume which offers 12 digitally remastered episodes (37 to 48 of the ongoing saga) with new opening and closing credits and including extended footage originally edited from the broadcast version. The episodes are spread across two discs which are presented in a deluxe slip-case with eye-popping mirror board packaging.

www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=59708

Ghost In The Shell 2: Innocence (R2) in February

Manga have announced the UK Region 2 DVD release of Ghost In The Shell 2: Innocence for 27th February 2006 priced at £19.99. Following its successful nationwide theatrical release in October 2005, Ghost In The Shell 2: Innocence comes to DVD on 27th February 2006 as a Deluxe Double Disc Edition boasting a host of never before seen extras including a world exclusive English language dub voiced by the original American "Ghost In The Shell' cast and a bonus booklet featuring a foreword by Jonathan Clements (co-author of The Anime Encyclopedia).

Mimicking their Stand Alone Complex DVD releases the main feature will be present on both discs, with Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround audio on disc one and DTS audio on disc two...

Disc One

• * Widescreen presentation (1.85:1)
    * Japanese & English DD5.1 Surround
    * Japanese & English Stereo 2.0
    * English subtitles
    * The Making Of Innocence featurette
    * Audio commentary by Mamoru Oshii (director) and Toshihiko Nishikubo (animation director) with subtitles

Disc Two

* English & Japanese DTS
* English subtitles
* UK exclusive "Face To Face Interview With Mamoru Oshii"
* Sneak Peak at Ghost In The Shell Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig Volume 2, Episode 5
* Full-length Japanese trailer
* Manga trailers

This release will also be available as part of a three-disc Ghost In The Shell Movie Double Bill Boxed Set (£24.99) along with the Special Edition of the original feature length "Ghost In The Shell" anime.

www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=59707

I tried to watch the Ghost in the Shell series but I could never get past the gratuitous fan-service that seems to be a hallmark of Masamune Shirow's work. Any time you have a man and a woman in an anime doing the same job and the man is dressed in long pants, a shirt and a coat and the woman is dressed in a catsuit, it ruins my ability to suspend disbelief and makes it impossible to watch the show. :hmph:

When they redraw this anime with the men all wearing catsuits that closely reveal their external physical attributes, then I might watch it. :tongue:

I see your point, fan service really bugs me as well (it almost ruined the otherwise excellent Gunbuster) but you're missing out on one of the finest sci-fi shows ever.

Good to see GitS 2 coming out finally. I didn't enjoy it the first time but I'm hoping it'll make more sense on a second viewing.

Sorry, Emps, I was busy watching the shower scene and nude transformation in the first Gatchaman OAV.

What were you going on about?

Kondoru said:
Sorry, Emps, I was busy watching the shower scene and nude transformation in the first Gatchaman OAV.

What were you going on about?

Do you mean OVA? ;)

/pedant mode

<settles back anime hero fashion with a can of cider.>

Whatever.

No, I lie, today I was watching `Full Metal Skin Panic -Madox 01` I got for xmas.

Its quite good; funny but not roaringly so.

Howl's Moving Castle (R1) in March

Buena Vista Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Howl's Moving Castle for 7th March 2006 priced at $29.99 SRP. Director Hayao Mayazaki has produced another masterpiece from his Studio Ghibli. A beautifully crafted, mostly hand-drawn animated feature, Howl's Moving Castle is the latest in an impressive catalogue of quite simply, some of the best animation ever committed to celluloid.

Features on the DVD are TBC.

www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=59721

Pre-orders:
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000CDG ... enantmc-20

Porco Rosso & Pom Poko (R2) in January - Menus added

Optimum Asia have announced the UK Region 2 DVD release of Hayao Miyazaki’s Porco Rosso and Isao Takahata’s Pom Poko for 30th January 2006 priced at £19.99 each. These magical animated films from Japan’s leading animation company, Studio Ghibli, will be released for the first time on DVD in the UK.

Porco Rosso is a fantastical mix of action and adventure above the clouds. In 1930s Balkans, only one pilot rules the skies: Porco Rosso, a talented pilot who, due to a magic spell, has been transformed into a pig. Porco lives a happy life as a pilot for hire protecting airships from marauding pilots, resting on his private island and visiting his friend, the beautiful hotel-owner Gina. But when a hot-headed American pilot arrives looking to make a name for himself by shooting down The Crimson Pig, Porco gets his battered plane back into shape with the help of a feisty teenage engineer called Fio This DVD release will provide two audio options- the original Japanese version and a dubbed version featuring the voice of Michael Keaton (Batman, Beetlejuice) as Porco.

Features include:

• * Anamorphic Widescreen
    * Japanese 2.0 with optional English subtitles
    * English 2.0 with optional HOH subtitles
    * Alternative Angle Storyboards
    * Interview with Studio Ghibli Producer Toshio Suzuki (3:30mins)
    * Original Trailers (8:04mins)
    * Studio Ghibli Trailers (10:51mins)

Pom Poko is set on the outskirts of civilization, where a group of magical shape-shifting raccoons called the tanuki live happily together in the forest. Unfortunately, human construction workers arrive to build new homes for an expanding Tokyo. With their homes and way of life endangered, the tanuki decide to fight for their forest; disguising themselves as humans and sabotaging the building equipment. When their tactics fail to prevent a construction crew from forging the new suburb, the tanuki decide to use all of their powers in an awesome display of magic.

Features include:

• * Anamorphic Widescreen
    * Japanese 2.0 with optional English subtitles
    * English 2.0 with optional HOH subtitles
    * Alternative Angle Storyboards
    * Original Trailers (7:53mins)
    * Howl’s Moving Castle Trailer (1:34mins)
    * Studio Ghibli Trailers (10:51mins)

www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=59507

Pre-orders:

PR:
www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000B ... ntmagaz-21
R1:
www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0001 ... ntmagaz-21
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0001XA ... enantmc-20

PP:
www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000B ... ntmagaz-21
R1:
www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0009 ... ntmagaz-21
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0009MA ... enantmc-20

Got any top picks from that lot?

I've just seen Ulysses 31 but it isn't that much of a saving from its usual price.

~wanders off signing the theme song~

Its a good price on Paranoia Agent (which sounds very Fortean) but Vampire Hunter D is the same price as it is at Amazon.

Cowboy Bebop movie, Death & Rebirth/End of Evangelion double pack, Akira, Memories, Barefoot Gen. Any of the Ghibli films are a bargain at £8.99. Don't bother with the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex discs, not with the entire series available in a nice box for £30.

December 22, 2005

First Stills From the New Miyazaki Shorts

(Posted In Animation Asia Film News )

We first mentioned back in January that Hayao Miyazaki was working on four short films commissioned by the Studio Ghibli Museum and stills from three of the four have now turned up online. That shot to the left is from "Hoshi wo Katta Hi" and you can click the links for stills from "Mizugumo Monmon" and "Yadosagashi".

[Sources: Catsuka, Walkerplus]

www.twitchfilm.net/archives/004593.html

hokum6 said:
http://www.ergoproxy.com/2006test/trailer/ergoproxypv.asx

Trailer for Ergo Proxy, a new show from people involved in Samurai Champloo and Witch Hunter Robin. It looks stunning (shame the trailer is in crap-tacular Media Player format). This is going to be a biggie.

The nice people at Twitch agree with you: "My pick for the big anime series of 2006? Without a doubt, it's got to be Ergo Proxy"

www.twitchfilm.net/archives/004602.html

That links to a couple of embedded Flash trailers too.

It looks good.

WTF is it about?

No idea. :)

Did anyone happen to catch Jonathan Ross' Asian Invasion on BBC Four tonight? I only saw the end where he was interviewing Ghost in the Shell creator Mamoru Oshii (he took the mickey out his t-shirt - someone will be getting an androids head in their bed tonight.)

hokum6 said:
I only saw the end where he was interviewing Ghost in the Shell creator Mamoru Oshii (he took the mickey out his t-shirt - someone will be getting an androids head in their bed tonight.)

I feel the need to be picky and say that the Ghost in the Shell creator was Masamune Shirow, Mamoru Oshii was just the director of the film, which I didn't overly like (I'm a Masamune Shirow fan, as you may have guessed ;) )

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, on the other hand, is excellent. And Mamoru Oshii didn't direct it either ;)

A few other things I see mentioned here I've seen - Howl's Moving Castle, I saw in the cinema and bought on DVD (from Japan, where it was released late last year. Studio Ghibli DVDs always have English subtitles, and often English dub tracks). Porco Rosso is also excellent, my little brother watched it every day for a month when I got it on DVD ;) Pom Poko is good too.

I watched Ulysses 31 and Jayce & The Wheeled Warriors recently on one of the children's channels on Sky, very weird cartoons.

Meh, director, creator. Close enough.

There's a series being fansubbed at the moment that everyone should watch: Monster. It is, so far, one of the best thrillers I've ever seen, either animated or live. I'm just hoping they can keep the pace going for 74 episodes. It's being made into a live-action movie by the same guy who scripted A History of Violence.

PM if you want download links.

Oh yeah, Casshern is totally, utterly bonkers. But as you say, stunning visuals. Problem I had with it was the pacing, it really dragged at times. Still a fun one. Did you know it was based on an old anime called Casshan? I keep meaning to get hold of it (dirt cheap on Amazon).

0072.jpg

If you like completely mental movies, try watching Versus. That thing is nuttier than a bag of nuts being eaten by a crazy person in a mental hospital.

hokum6 said:
If you like completely mental movies, try watching Versus. That thing is nuttier than a bag of nuts being eaten by a crazy person in a mental hospital.

Oh yeah - team that up with Wild Zero and you have a winning double of full on nuttiness.

hokum6 said:
... Problem I had with it was the pacing, it really dragged at times. Still a fun one. ...
Still shorter than Lord of the Rings, though.

And it made more sense. :)

Back