• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Headlines

Funny, the past week, two headlines have featured Cork. Both times I have wondered why cork is a popular topic. Then, it takes me about 1/2 minute to think "duh, Cork, Ireland". I can't seem to get past my idea of any cork reference being only about a wood.:chuckle:

This just seems a bit weird. Lightning being blamed but it seems it came from nowhere and sounding louder than usual. Smoke being seen but the fire brigade not finding anyway. It just feels a bit off.

https://www.mylondon.news/news/north-london-news/islington-explosion-live-updates-huge-25625740

I’m putting the text here because I don’t trust it not to disappear.

People across North London and East London have reported hearing a huge 'explosion' this evening (Monday, November 28). A plume of smoke could also be seen around North London although it isn't clear if it is linked to the loud bang.

Police have said that it appears to have simply been very loud thunder but many of those who heard it have said it sounded far too loud to be simply a weather event. Most of the reports of the noise have come from parts of Islington and Stoke Newington although other residents have reported hearing it in Camden, Hackney and Stratford too.

A Met Police spokesperson said: "We've received several calls about loud bangs in the Stoke Newington area this evening. No major incidents have been reported to us. The noise appears to have been caused by thunder and lightning."

The London Fire Brigade also reported not finding any fires. A spokesperson said: "Firefighters carried out an extensive search of the local area after reports of an explosion on Belfast Road in Hackney. They found no fire.

LightningMaps.org reports that several lightning strikes took place back-to-back across Camden, Stoke Newington, Hampstead, and Stamford Hill.

One resident, David Wyllie, tweeted: "Quite a loud explosion (and flash of light) here in Islington but no sign of thunderclouds." Barnaby Slater said: "Huge flash of light followed by sound of massive explosion and plume of smoke in North London."

Aubrey Whitfield said: "Two huge flashes of light in London and loud bangs. Explosion? Heard in Hackney. Hope everyone is safe." Mikan said: "I just heard a very loud bang/explosion in North London?? Initially I thought it was thunder but apparently people across London heard it too."

Highbury resident Chris W told MyLondon that he heard one loud bang at 5.40pm then another 10 minutes later similar to the first.

This just seems a bit weird. Lightning being blamed but it seems it came from nowhere and sounding louder than usual. Smoke being seen but the fire brigade not finding anyway. It just feels a bit off.

https://www.mylondon.news/news/north-london-news/islington-explosion-live-updates-huge-25625740

I’m putting the text here because I don’t trust it not to disappear.

People across North London and East London have reported hearing a huge 'explosion' this evening (Monday, November 28). A plume of smoke could also be seen around North London although it isn't clear if it is linked to the loud bang.

Police have said that it appears to have simply been very loud thunder but many of those who heard it have said it sounded far too loud to be simply a weather event. Most of the reports of the noise have come from parts of Islington and Stoke Newington although other residents have reported hearing it in Camden, Hackney and Stratford too.

A Met Police spokesperson said: "We've received several calls about loud bangs in the Stoke Newington area this evening. No major incidents have been reported to us. The noise appears to have been caused by thunder and lightning."

The London Fire Brigade also reported not finding any fires. A spokesperson said: "Firefighters carried out an extensive search of the local area after reports of an explosion on Belfast Road in Hackney. They found no fire.

LightningMaps.org reports that several lightning strikes took place back-to-back across Camden, Stoke Newington, Hampstead, and Stamford Hill.

One resident, David Wyllie, tweeted: "Quite a loud explosion (and flash of light) here in Islington but no sign of thunderclouds." Barnaby Slater said: "Huge flash of light followed by sound of massive explosion and plume of smoke in North London."

Aubrey Whitfield said: "Two huge flashes of light in London and loud bangs. Explosion? Heard in Hackney. Hope everyone is safe." Mikan said: "I just heard a very loud bang/explosion in North London?? Initially I thought it was thunder but apparently people across London heard it too."

Highbury resident Chris W told MyLondon that he heard one loud bang at 5.40pm then another 10 minutes later similar to the first.

‘A large explosion was reportedly heard before a huge flash of light followed by a plume of smoke in the London district of Hackney Wick.’​

Explosion first doesn’t sound like lightning.

‘Another person living in Clapton told the publication that her front room ‘flashed blue when it happened’.’ Lightning is usually white.

https://euroweeklynews.com/2022/11/...-by-massive-explosion-in-hackney-wick-london/

‘A large explosion was reportedly heard before a huge flash of light followed by a plume of smoke in the London district of Hackney Wick.’​

Explosion first doesn’t sound like lightning.

‘Another person living in Clapton told the publication that her front room ‘flashed blue when it happened’.’ Lightning is usually white.

https://euroweeklynews.com/2022/11/...-by-massive-explosion-in-hackney-wick-london/
But for the apparent fact (as nothing reported) lightning hitting a large transformer would be what I would suspect. But there would be electricity outage somewhere.

But for the apparent fact (as nothing reported) lightning hitting a large transformer would be what I would suspect. But there would be electricity outage somewhere.

1669673858473.png

from https://metro.co.uk/2022/11/28/huge-clouds-of-smoke-after-explosion-in-london-17841523/

I take it you are pointing out the lights still on?

We had a substation fire in my area over a decade ago and the loss of power spread. It was some …’s trying to steal cables and a large area was without power for days. We were lucky we live on an old council estate (some still council owned) and we had a generator to our local substation in under 24 hours. My Grandfather on the posh estate was not so lucky.

I take it you are pointing out the lights still on?

We had a substation fire in my area over a decade ago and the loss of power spread. It was some …’s trying to steal cables and a large area was without power for days. We were lucky we live on an old council estate (some still council owned) and we had a generator to our local substation in under 24 hours. My Grandfather on the posh estate was not so lucky.
Me? No just posting an image. Should have replied to the original post rather than the latest one.

I’m in the locale & can confirm 2 bright flashes each followed by 2 loud booms. Lightning & thunder it seemed to me, no rain round my way though. I had a copious nosebleed shortly after - the first I’ve had in years. Not that I think the two are connected.

I’m in the locale & can confirm 2 bright flashes each followed by 2 loud booms. Lightning & thunder it seemed to me, no rain round my way though. I had a copious nosebleed shortly after - the first I’ve had in years. Not that I think the two are connected.
Thanks. It’s odd when lightning seems to come from nowhere. I mentioned on here the other week there was just a random flash in the sky.

Maybe the pressure connected to it might have something to do with your nose bleed. Or it’s aliens.

Thanks. It’s odd when lightning seems to come from nowhere. I mentioned on here the other week there was just a random flash in the sky.

Maybe the pressure connected to it might have something to do with your nose bleed. Or it’s aliens.
Yes, lightning & thunder sometimes happens seemingly out of the blue with just a single flash/clap & nothing else.

Blimey, there’s now a fire engine stopped outside my house right now & they’ve got a ladder up against the house immediately opposite. No sign of fire though.. A man climbed the ladder & opened a first floor window then they put the ladder back & have driven off. No lights on in the house. Feck knows what that was about..

Yes, lightning & thunder sometimes happens seemingly out of the blue with just a single flash/clap & nothing else.

Blimey, there’s now a fire engine stopped outside my house right now & they’ve got a ladder up against the house immediately opposite. No sign of fire though.. A man climbed the ladder & opened a first floor window then they put the ladder back & have driven off. No lights on in the house. Feck knows what that was about..
They were checking for aliens.

Indeed.

"Some lightning bolts can appear to hit from a clear blue sky. A “Bolt from the Blue” is a cloud-to-ground lightning bolt, which comes from the side of the thunderstorm cloud and travels through clear air away from the storm, eventually striking the ground. They can strike tens of kilometers from the thunderstorm, under the clear, blue sky, hence the name."
https://www.severe-weather.eu/theory/top-10-most-interesting-and-surprising-facts-about-lightning/

At least it wasn't deliberate...

Hunter accidentally shot dead by his own dog in freak accident​

A new dad tragically died after he was accidentally shot by his own pet during a hunting excursion with friends over the weekend.
A new dad tragically died after he was accidentally shot by his own dog during a hunting excursion in Turkey over the weekend.
Ozgur Gevrekoglu, 32, was on a hunting trip with a group of friends near Alacam, northern Turkey, when the freak accident took place, Newsflash reported.

According to the New York Post, disaster struck while the hunter was packing up to leave.
https://www.news.com.au/world/europ...t/news-story/4c06aad6c20d57000f7b0f7d85f8badb

Indeed.

"Some lightning bolts can appear to hit from a clear blue sky. A “Bolt from the Blue” is a cloud-to-ground lightning bolt, which comes from the side of the thunderstorm cloud and travels through clear air away from the storm, eventually striking the ground. They can strike tens of kilometers from the thunderstorm, under the clear, blue sky, hence the name."
https://www.severe-weather.eu/theory/top-10-most-interesting-and-surprising-facts-about-lightning/
There was the wrong atmospheric conditions for lightning and thunder. What a weird story though.

Lightning strike on a transformer or similar apparatus wouldn’t always cause a power cut. In fact it rarely does. Transmission and distribution networks have built in redundancy. There’s always a secondary system to immediately take the load. Your lights might flicker for a few seconds but that’s normally all.
And transformers themselves have built in lightning protection, (horns) to protect themselves.

Lightning strike on a transformer or similar apparatus wouldn’t always cause a power cut. In fact it rarely does. Transmission and distribution networks have built in redundancy. There’s always a secondary system to immediately take the load. Your lights might flicker for a few seconds but that’s normally all.
And transformers themselves have built in lightning protection, (horns) to protect themselves.
Not if you live where I do. A car hitting a pole with a transformer can knock out power.

Not if you live where I do. A car hitting a pole with a transformer can knock out power.
Yes pole mounted TXs are for local supplies, normally a few houses . They don’t have a “back up” . They’re not something we have huge numbers of in the UK though. Our distribution network is different.

Back