• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT176

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Good issue - my main intial concern is is anyone having problems with the paper?

On pages 41, 48, 49 and 56 it looks like I have got the end of the roll and the start of a new one - i.e. there is a dirty great big join across the page. It doesn't stop me from reading the content so I'm not bothered (and if it hasn't happened to anyone else then it is a collectors item) but if it is a widespread problem hen it needs to be addressed.

Also if I fill in the survey bu I have the books being offered as prizes can I have something else of equal value? ;)

Emps

Got mine today haven't opened it yet! will check re the page problems.

rynner said:
No page problems here.

The website for the tree octupus mentioned by Heirophant is
http://zapatopi.net/treeoctopus.html :D

I almost believed that one...it's brilliant.:D

There's nothing in there that couldn't have happened, it's just that it didn't.

In a parallel universe perhaps the earth is run by the descendents of tree-going octopoids, who made it out of the water ahead of the vertebrates.

Write your representatives to let them know that you are concerned and that you feel the tree octopus should be included on the Endangered Species List and given special protection.

I would so love to know how many people have actually done this.

But right now it's 3.25am and I'm out of fags and how come you guys all get FT before it even appears in Borders over here?

BlackRiverFalls said:
...how come you guys all get FT before it even appears in Borders over here?

Becasue we're all sad gits who subscribe and wait joyously for the clatter of the letter box each month!

On the survey there was a question like "How do you read your FT? All in one go, over 2-3 readings etc..." I try to make mine last as long as possible. Even though I really enjoy the letters I know I'm getting to the end and I get a bit miffed.

Pathetic, I know.

I'm attempting to save the entire issue for my flight to Phoenix next month. Now you sods have made me read Heirophant :mad:

In Glasgow Forbidden Planet usually gets FT a week or so before WH Smith, it's been out since at least Tuesday there.

It just gets earlier and earlier, what is it, aiming to be fortnightly now? lol.

I've just re-subscribed and got mine early too. Deep joy. The last few issues have been just the ticket, keep it up. (Note to t-shirt dept, extra large doesn't fit this Claw!) :nooo:

Many_Angled_One said:
In Glasgow Forbidden Planet usually gets FT a week or so before WH Smith, it's been out since at least Tuesday there.

It just gets earlier and earlier, what is it, aiming to be fortnightly now? lol.
The early issues are so they can fit in the 30th anniversary issue.

I've had Welsh Dragon paté (see sidelines) and very nice it was too.:D

What's the classical corner got to do with Daleks?
It went on about robots not single-seater travel machines.

Many_Angled_One said:

I never find it in Forbidian Planet. I thought they didn't stock it.

I go to the newsagents on Byres Road for mine.

*sob*

Where's my copy?? I've even e-mailed IFG (who are still advertised on the main page as the distributors, although whether they still are I'm not sure) and my e mail has been sent back as being 'delayed'.

I'm giving up on this subscription lark and I'm buying it from Smiths. Of course i can't cancel my sub 'cos my e mail will be delayed and so on, and so on..........

I've already finished 176. Before I saw the thread here. That's a first. Usually I'm looking on with envy while the rest of you rave about the latest features.

Buying from a newsagent isn't really an option here. Sure they get it regularly, but they run about six weeks behind the subs.

Now I'm niggled, the phone number for IFG is 'not recognised'.......

Hi,

Don't know what this subs problem is, and I'm away for a few days so can't do much about it, but I suggest anyone with a problem phones Laura Scarbrough on 0207 907 6148 (over at Dennis - not ideal since we're still stuck at the old IFG building!)and she should be able to help you.

David

Briiliant thanks for that David, i'll do it tomorrow. Of course my copy will arrive through the letterbox the minute i put the phone down, just like last time :rolleyes: .

Inverurie Jones said:
I got a sub recently. The T-shirt has arrived, at least...

what t-shirt? :confused:

when i paid for my sub at uncon 03. i wasnt told that was/might be a free something or other when taking out the sub.

if there was i wasnt listening

Did anyone else have trouble with the format of the survey? A couple of the questions had simple tick boxes, but had two rows of them, for some reason. And I don't think I have high enough qualifications in origami to make it fit for a postbox without a serious amount of sellotape which will presumably damage the survey in some way when extracted!

I am a total survey-junkie though, it seems like the only way to mould my world in a way which might suit me. And the FT survey is the coolest, even if they didn't have a 'nearly one' option under 'how many children in your household'.

My FT hasn't arrived either (first time in over ten years).

I phoned the lovely Laura yesterday, and she was brilliant!

One of the most helpful, polite and efficient people I've had the pleasure of complaining to for a long time!

The upshot is that a replacement copy is winging it's way to me even as I write!

Phenominal customer service :D

Arthur ASCII said:
One of the most helpful, polite and efficient people I've had the pleasure of complaining to for a long time!

Thats the key, you complained to her and not at her. Having done a briefish stint working at social services i know the difference all to well. (Nobody calls to congratulate us on a job well done...)

I must say i had quite a different experience with the subscription people which is why i don't currently subscribe. I attempted to process it online and set everything up (got the confirmation details) but nothing happened. When i sent a polite email asking what was going on the reply more or less said 'you obviously screwed up, its not our fault try again'. Needless to say i didn't.

Edit: I very nearly typed 'Needless to say i had the last laugh.' Oh dear...

Spot on Yithian.

It wasn't a complaint, it was an enquiry.

I make a point of NEVER "shooting the messenger".

Yeah, my survey had those unexplained double lines where only one answer was needed. Seems the compiler committed the 'cut and paste but no proof reading' sin. Oh dear.

Can somebody explain to me the picture on page 55?
The caption says "The World Trade Centre ablaze on 9 September 2001"
I have stared at this for ages trying to work out if they are saying the two towers were burning on the 9th and not 11th September. Or does it mean someone tweaked the space time continuum to remove the distinction between the 9th and the 11th - that would be a serious conspiracy!
Or is it just a careless typo?

hungry like the wolf

Did anyone else catch the 'Medical Bag' about (apoligies for the spelling) Lycanthrope?

What did you think? Is there a feminist component to Wearwolf myths* (Angela Carter was right for once!) and is it all about mental ilness?

*ie. the observation at the end of the artical baout women suffering a form of psychosis due to sex within a loveless relationahip. I found the idea verry haunting.

Back