• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT176

Re: hungry like the wolf

The Virgin Queen said:
*ie. the observation at the end of the artical baout women suffering a form of psychosis due to sex within a loveless relationahip. I found the idea verry haunting.

'Ludicrous' more than 'haunting'.

There doesn't have to be an 'ism' element in everything. Sociologists make all that stuff up to give themselves work, you know, otherwise people would figure out just how pointless they actually are.

Inverurie Jones said:
There doesn't have to be an 'ism' element in everything. Sociologists make all that stuff up to give themselves work, you know, otherwise people would figure out just how pointless they actually are.

I like 'isms' they're fun.

Is there a way to fold the survey so that either your holiday preferences and gender, or your salary, living circumstances and address aren't visible for all to see on the back?

Sally said:
Is there a way to fold the survey so that either your holiday preferences and gender, or your salary, living circumstances and address aren't visible for all to see on the back?

No, I tried it. Now I'm wondering weither to post it.

I very much doubt that postman have the time or inclination to look at the back of the folded questionairre! Thay are too busy wondering whether to strike.

Anyway, seriously, like they're bothered. And like it does any harm.

Its hardly like putting a sign over your door saying "I shag goats and pavements." Is it? Mr Posty wouldn't even know who you are?

Sally said:

Stick it in an envelope....

Bilderberger said:
I very much doubt that postman have the time or inclination to look at the back of the folded questionairre! Thay are too busy wondering whether to strike.

Anyway, seriously, like they're bothered. And like it does any harm.

Its hardly like putting a sign over your door saying "I shag goats and pavements." Is it? Mr Posty wouldn't even know who you are?

No that I'm paraniod...

A solution the Equality Network thought up when they gave out forms for people to fill pout about homaphobic/ transphobic abuse was to have the back of it blank and to encorage you to celotape it together.

Sod it. Couldn't be bothered waiting anymore, so I went out and bought it.

Scarlett said:
Can somebody explain to me the picture on page 55?
The caption says "The World Trade Centre ablaze on 9 September 2001"
I have stared at this for ages trying to work out if they are saying the two towers were burning on the 9th and not 11th September. Or does it mean someone tweaked the space time continuum to remove the distinction between the 9th and the 11th - that would be a serious conspiracy!
Or is it just a careless typo?

I noticed that too. I thought it must be a typo. We are so used to calling september the 11th 9/11, when in the uk we would write it 11/9.

Or is there something that FT know that we don't?

Never realised you were a Carter fan VC?

I've been trying to get hold of a copy of the film version of The Magic Toyshop but it's so illusive that sometimes I've wondered if I really did see it on TV around '87 or if I dreamed it.

Just a thought..

Blackriverfalls, you're not by any chance thinking of 'Company of Wolves' which is based an Angela Carter story, directed by Neil Jordan, either 1984 or 1985.

The one with the perverse version of little Riding Hood where the woodman turns into a wolf with the wolf bursting out of the man's mouth?

Angela Lansbury as the Grandmother

And Terence Stamp as the Devil in a black Rolls Royce?

boy

could I tell some stories on that! From my days going to clubs in Orange county California!! wheee oooh!! :eek!!!!:

Inverurie Jones said:

What are you on about IJ? More misanthropy, eh? :rolleyes:

Just in case you didn't know, some cases of proported lycanthropy have a sexual undercurrent running through them (i.e. WRT sex crime). Identification with various animals during periods of psychosis or manic behaviour also aren't all that unusual. I don't think it's one of those things you can split into male and female sides, as the history of the subject doesn't focus on aspects to do with women.

I had a call today not from the lovely Laura but an equally charming young lady who says that my copy was despatched. However, they are still sending me a replacement copy which I'm chuffed about.

Maybe I won't cancel my sub after all.

Mines not here either, i emailed IFG and was told that it was dispatched on the 17th then again on the 22nd (after my first email) and now they say they have sent it again (3rd copy) i just dont believe that 2 copies of the same issue would go missing unless my postie is a giant bird and is using them to build a nest with.

oh yes and here is the phone number that they gave me to call
01458 271100 as the one on the web page has died, in addition does anyone know whats happened to the .co.uk version of this site as it does'nt seem to work anymore
LOAM

JerryB said:
What are you on about IJ? More misanthropy, eh? :rolleyes:

Just in case you didn't know, some cases of proported lycanthropy have a sexual undercurrent running through them (i.e. WRT sex crime). Identification with various animals during periods of psychosis or manic behaviour also aren't all that unusual. I don't think it's one of those things you can split into male and female sides, as the history of the subject doesn't focus on aspects to do with women.

Oh I was just comenting on one thing in the artical that haunted me after reading it not claiminmg it was only women that sufferd this.

And Carter? I'm not that much of a fan. I like her ideas but not her style wich is far too showy for me (her book The Sadien Woman is about her best work. Well worth a read.) Company of Wolfs: I've seen it on vidio. Have you tried prdering it from a shop BRF?

rynner said:
No page problems here.

The website for the tree octupus mentioned by Heirophant is
http://zapatopi.net/treeoctopus.html :D

Timble said:
I almost believed that one...it's brilliant.:D

There's nothing in there that couldn't have happened, it's just that it didn't.

In a parallel universe perhaps the earth is run by the descendents of tree-going octopoids, who made it out of the water ahead of the vertebrates.

http://www.thefutureiswild.com/
The idea, in essence, is simple. Imagine the world millions of years in the future, without the overbearing presence of mankind. The stories yet to be told are sure to be extraordinary and intriguing...
Squibbon
These are descended from squid, which have successfully invaded the land. They are an arboreal species that live in simple structures built in the treetops, capitalising on their natural dexterity and acute stereoscopic vision.

http://animal.discovery.com/convergence/futureiswild/poll/poll_200mill.html
Squibbon
Habitat: Northern Forest
Futuristic Factoid: Tree-swinging squid exhibit the highest form of intelligence since humans inhabited the Earth.

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5780

Hmmmmmmmm the future seems to hold an awful lot of highly evolved squid :(

Emps

Oh I have tried looking everywhere for the film of The Magic Toyshop for about a decade, it might as well have ceased to exist.

The only serious internet info on it is at:

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0097806/plotsummary

and then there's only one user review.

Re Carter generally, seeing the film and CofW motivated me to read her, I liked the book of TMT and The Bloody Chamber, I've read The Sadean Woman too. Then I tried Heroes and Villains and found it thoroughly boring, after that I went off of her.

More highly evolved squid

Emperor said:
Hmmmmmmmm the future seems to hold an awful lot of highly evolved squid :(

Emps

In some of Stephen Baxter's stories, particularly the novel 'Time' bio-engineered squid developed for one-way missions to mine the asteroids, evolve into a true space-travelling species.:cool:

BTW I'd not seen The Future is Wild site, nice to know the world will be in safe tentacles when we're gone.

Re: More highly evolved squid

Originally posted by Timble

BTW I'd not seen The Future is Wild site, nice to know the world will be in safe tentacles when we're gone.

Rodney will be pleased.

My copy is still not here. I'm giving them to the weekend because of the London postal strike.

I nearly brought a copy in Smiths today but I'm such a cheap-skate I don't want to waste my money in case it ever does turn up.

BlackRiverFalls said:
Re Carter generally, seeing the film and CofW motivated me to read her, I liked the book of TMT and The Bloody Chamber, I've read The Sadean Woman too. Then I tried Heroes and Villains and found it thoroughly boring, after that I went off of her.

I got through part of The Magic Toyshop and part of The Bloody Chamber for university and then was persuaded to read The Sadien Woman as 'it's better than the fiction' wich is a sentament I have to agree with.

mine came yesterday in a brown envolope, call them back i did and they extended my subscription free of charge, i personally think that something went wrong with this months mail process and some of us got missed out of the run. That said they have been really good about sending more copies out so fair play.
LOAM

An issue of Alan Moore's classic comic series "Swamp Thing" (called, i think, "The Curse") also covered these issues...

Back