• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT219

TheQuixote

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Weird World in review, 2006! a news round-up of 2006's weirdest stories.

The rest of the mag looks pretty good, I've just scanned through the Fortean Traveller piece about The Wang Saen Suk Hell Garden, Thailand - creepy!

There's also:

The Ghost Hunters

The Curse of the Stones

Animal Spirits

Hooo, mine's not here yet, I must go to the gym so that my sacrifice of pain will ensure its appearance on my arrival home! :D

Hahaha, I went shopping instead but the FT still arrived anyway! :D

*shakes fists to sky*

I win! I win!

*cough*

Off to the gym now.

Got mine today - postie apologised for the state of it . The bag had come open at the top and I assume it had dropped out or something sharp had jammed in. Probably someone have a sneaky read of it in the sorting depot - I wonder if they do that: need a number 2 no reading material around grab FT off the conveyor, have a good skim and bag it up and send it on its way?

Looks good anyway (no obviosu stains either).

My envelope was open too, but with no obvious damage. Happens quite a lot. Might be just faulty plastic seals.

Judging by the photos, the Letters page is turning into That's Life. Will there be a picture of a potato shaped like Esther Rantzen next issue?

The review of the year looks like it's been compiled with those casual readers who don't pick up every issue in mind.

I wish I hadn't read the penis restaurant article right before I had my dinner tonight.

Emps M8, I'm not sure you know this, but sometimes people read magazines and books without having a bowel movement at the same time. Even postmen. :lol:

Got mine on the return home. I look forward to a boiling hot bath, a glass of something cold and alcoholic ... and a darned good read.

He didn't say he was going to get in it. :roll:

the item on people eating animal penises in chinese restaurants has a very high "gag factor"

the item on people eating animal penises in chinese restaurants has a very high "gag factor"

I wonder if the restuarant is called 'Wangs'?

Look, it was either that, or some wittery concerning 'Spotted Dick'...

barfing_pumpkin said:

I wonder if the restuarant is called 'Wangs'?

Look, it was either that, or some wittery concerning 'Spotted Dick'...

And do they serve Cocktails with real cocks?

Not had chance to read much of my copy yet.

WOW" There'a an advert for the UK's ONLY GLOSSY UFO Magazine!!! :eek!!!!:

Surely a reason to read it rather than the Hairly and Matte ones....

Rrose_Selavy said:
WOW" There'a an advert for the UK's ONLY GLOSSY UFO Magazine!!! :eek!!!!:

You do know why 'they' make magazines glossy, don't you?

I noticed the FT has had a cover price increase. Sneaky!

Help me out, people. Tell me i'm not the only one who laughed out loud at that photo of the family planning clinic sign. :oops:

escargot1 said:
Emps M8, I'm not sure you know this, but sometimes people read magazines and books without having a bowel movement at the same time. Even postmen. :lol:

Yeah right. :roll:

There are nerves that connect the bowel and the optical processes. Its the way it works. It can get messy having a quick read before going to sleep though :(

I hope you wash your hands after you read.

Just curious - how do you manage at the library?

maybe he has one of those commode things on wheels...lol

the article on pusscats and toxiplasmosis induced madness was quite good... now we know why crazy old cat ladies really are crazy... maybe...

BlackRiverFalls said:

the article on pusscats and toxiplasmosis induced madness was quite good... now we know why crazy old cat ladies really are crazy... maybe...
No, we start off that way. :) The cats are just an accessory.

The Hierophant was in a good mood this month.

JohnnyMolten said:
Help me out, people. Tell me i'm not the only one who laughed out loud at that photo of the family planning clinic sign. :oops:
I hooted, showed my bloke and wondered how I could send a picture to my dad.

gncxx said:
How dull. I thought the whole point was that he was permanently annoyed.

Anome_ said:
gncxx said:
How dull. I thought the whole point was that he was permanently annoyed.
I think gncxx may have meant that The Hierophant was pretty much back on pre-disappearance form. Perhaps because, T.H. appears to have got himself a day job. :)

I've seen the Family Planning sign on the 'net, can't remember where, but it's out there somewhere!

escargot1 said:
I've seen the Family Planning sign on the 'net, can't remember where, but it's out there somewhere!

I think it was on B3TA - and someone has sent it to the mag claiming it to be his own. I therefore think it's a 'shopped' image and not a real sign.

Yup, I think it was b3ta where I saw it too.

Don't we have a local mole who can pop over with a camera and settle it one way or the other? ;)

I once posted an accidentally salacious image from a Tesco display on b3ta and it was all over the 'net in no time, with lots of other freeloaders claiming credit for MY photo. :(

It was funny though. :lol:

beakboo said:
BlackRiverFalls said:

No, we start off that way. :) The cats are just an accessory.

Found the cat article really interesting, and I am now wondering if having cats right up to in my 20s is indeed related to various mental health problems I've suffered over the years!
Wonder if my GP will take me seriously if I ask for a test for the said parasite? No doubt will be laughed out of the surgery! :)

Frobush said:
escargot1 said:

I think it was on B3TA - and someone has sent it to the mag claiming it to be his own. I therefore think it's a 'shopped' image and not a real sign.

Tut tut, bad FT! Didn't they get their fake-detecting goggles on? Will next month have a mystery picture with a giant kitten and Status Quo laughing in the foreground?

Yeah the Family Planning sign was funny, right up there with the one on Carlisle? Station - Do not stand close to the platform edge or you will be sucked off.
My gripe is the commodification of spooks with Ghostwatch. On the one hand it's pleasing to see The Great Beyond getting its own pages, on the other there's just a few web style snippets, no trees trunks pulled up. Okay we had Victorian Ghost Hunters in the current mag so I won't enter into a spectral word count but can we have some more proper ghostly articles. UFOs get more acrage.

Back