• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT268

colpepper1

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Another good spooky theme issue. The magazine seems to have turned a corner for the better lately.

colpepper1 said:
Another good spooky theme issue. The magazine seems to have turned a corner for the better lately.

Not into ghosts. Thats put me in bad spirits.

The November FT is generally a ghost theme issue. There are other articles of course. Better than the anthropology/ drug culture/ debunking tendency IMO and genuinely Fortean.

Here's a brief summary of the issue highlights:-

• Newman Beatified
    Fearsome Flotsam
    Quirks of Memory
    Horned Woman and Tricorn Cow
    Tutankhamen's Peas
    Trunko Identified
    Crisp Packet Collections
    Foreign Accent Syndrome Cases
    More Floating Feet
    Long-Embedded Bullets
    Fergus Gwnplaine MacIntyre obit.
    Mischief Night
    The Greatest Ghoul On Earth?
    A Rhinoceros's Tale
    Mystery Blue Spider
    'Ghost' Photo Letter
    New Comic Strip: The Cryptid Kid Investigates

I've just found mine, it was hidden under the junk mail and free "newspaper".

paulsamfreya said:
Tumour!! :shock:

Yeah, not nice! On a similar note, still not keen on the paedophile fiction advertised next to the editorial, it was there again this issue!

Fewer letters than usual, too. And what's happened to Phenomenonix?

Haven't tried the main articles yet, but they do indeed look promising.

I got deja vu over the Mischief Night article. Has something similar been run elsewhere or have I gleaned it from The English Year?
Been reading FT since the 70s and reckon to have read Phenomenomix no more than a handful of times, one of the counter-cultural vestiges that's way past its sell-by date, though each to their own I suppose.

Oooh, 'ark at 'im an' 'is counter-cultural vestiges! :lol:

Dr_Baltar said:
ramonmercado said:

They need to strike a happy medium (squarely on the jaw).

These jokes are a Manifestation From Beyond! (But done in High Spirits!)

Mine''d better be here when I get home from work or you lot're in BIG trouble. :evil:

Dr_Baltar said:
ramonmercado said:

They need to strike a happy medium (squarely on the jaw).
Derek! Sam! come here i have something for you! :evil:

The Christianity and horror films article was really interesting, but this new breed of Christian horror films aren't as much fun as The Exorcist, The Omen or The Devil Rides Out. They're too much like the awful Hell Houses as mentioned in the sub-article.

Those of us blessed to be living in Australia are still waiting!

(Taps foot impatiently by the letter box)

Mine came yesterday and I saved it until I'd wallpapered the difficult bits by the window, as a little reward. ;)

Ghosts're my favourite Fortean subject, never tire of reading about them, so I'm happy with this issue.

I'm LOVING the spooky extra head on the garden photo. Had the magnifying glass out an' everything. Wonder if we can get in touch with the photographer and get the photos on here?

If it's a fake it's a good'un. 8)

escargot1 said:
Mine came yesterday and I saved it until I'd wallpapered the difficult bits by the window, as a little reward. ;)

Ghosts're my favourite Fortean subject, never tire of reading about them, so I'm happy with this issue.

I'm LOVING the spooky extra head on the garden photo. Had the magnifying glass out an' everything. Wonder if we can get in touch with the photographer and get the photos on here?

If it's a fake it's a good'un. 8)

Still no sign of mine. I hope a poltergeist rips yer wallpaper down, :twisted:

You've nearly got your wish. Some faulty wiring in the wall I'd just papered blew the wallpaper off again and I've had to have an electrician in to make it safe and repair it.

JUST finished all that decorating, I had, too! :evil:

gncxx said:
paulsamfreya said:
Tumour!! :shock:

Yeah, not nice! On a similar note, still not keen on the paedophile fiction advertised next to the editorial, it was there again this issue!

Fewer letters than usual, too. And what's happened to Phenomenonix?

Haven't tried the main articles yet, but they do indeed look promising.

Yeah, what on earth is it with the paedophile fiction ad? Who on earth thought that was a good idea??? :x

paulsamfreya said:
Yeah, what on earth is it with the paedophile fiction ad? Who on earth thought that was a good idea??? :x

I know! I resent the implication that because I like to read about ghosts and UFOs and weirdness I'd like to relax with a "thriller" all about paedophiles. They're dead wrong there.

escargot1 said:
You've nearly got your wish. Some faulty wiring in the wall I'd just papered blew the wallpaper off again and I've had to have an electrician in to make it safe and repair it.

Thats shocking! Watt will it cost you? You must be revolted! Har! Har! :twisted:

gncxx said:
paulsamfreya said:

I know! I resent the implication that because I like to read about ghosts and UFOs and weirdness I'd like to relax with a "thriller" all about paedophiles. They're dead wrong there.

The book might be about the tracking down of a ped. A of of serial killer novels seem to involve peds these days. Good writers like John Connolly don't need to go into the gory details of the abuse.

edit to fix typo.

I've long since learnt to turn a blind eye to FTs adverts. I know times are hard in publishing but it's real bottom of the barrel stuff. Dildos, dodgy T-shirts, slasher movies and now nonce noir. Not very edifying.

ramonmercado said:
down of a ped. A of of serial killer novels seem to involve peds these days. Good writers like John Connolly don't need to go into the gory details of the abuse.

From the blurb, it doesn't sound as if good writing is involved. The child abuse angle is presented as the books' main selling points.

ramonmercado said:
escargot1 said:

Thats shocking! Watt will it cost you? You must be revolted! Har! Har! :twisted:

To come up with those ample puns, you must be a bright spark!

colpepper1 said:
I've long since learnt to turn a blind eye to FTs adverts. I know times are hard in publishing but it's real bottom of the barrel stuff. Dildos, dodgy T-shirts, slasher movies and now nonce noir. Not very edifying.

It's a veritable one stop shop for a great weekend!

I'm still wondering what an org*sm is, and why you only get one when it's upside-down.

Back