• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT308

liveinabin

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
40th Anniversary special!

Fortean Top 40
The first Forteans
Desna and Duppy
Nessie at 80
Shooting Big Foot

Mine's here. I took it to work then brought it back unopened. Need to read it properly. ;)

The Top 40 looks great, but I suspect it'll take up a lot of time, further reading and all that. Also good to see the door in the tree photo cleared up. Happy anniversary, FT!

For those of us who don't have the current issue yet, could you explain how the "door in the tree" photo is cleared up? Or perhaps we should just wait for our copy to arrive? :p

DrWhiteface said:
For those of us who don't have the current issue yet, could you explain how the "door in the tree" photo is cleared up? Or perhaps we should just wait for our copy to arrive? :p

Yes, the liquid metal Terminator tree is present and correct!

Haven't read much of it yet, but I really enjoyed seeing Hunt Emerson's early work in the Phenomenomix special. His art has stayed at a consistent level of quality, but has developed its own voice - his first drawings for FT are more obviously influenced by the likes of R Crumb and Vaughn Bode.

Really enjoyed the Top 40, some great articles I'd forgotten about but the one recommended concerning the mysterious sieges by impossible assailants sounded fascinating. Alas, it hailed from an issue way before I was reading the mag, so any chance of an update, FT?

We could always start a series reprinting classic articles from the 70s and 80s if there was a demand for that - although how we'd find room is another matter. Anything you'd like to see kicked out to make some space? A spring clean in the New Year might be a good thing...

Not sure I'd like to see something "kicked out" but something like the Fortean Follow-Ups item, only as an occasional featured article on one subject covered a while back, might be worth a try? There is that quote from Fort about continuing to investigate a puzzle once it has been solved, after all.

Also, very impressed with the Paul Giamatti endorsement! A great actor (and horse puncher) and a fortean too!

I don't like the idea of something being "kicked out" to make way for a Follow Up article, but having space for a semi-regular article might be good - looking at an event that made a big impact at the time, Follow Up articles, a review of old cases, and you could have three or four of these a year.

just add a couple of pages to the 80 ... problem solved !

Dr_David_Sutton said:
We could always start a series reprinting classic articles from the 70s and 80s if there was a demand for that - although how we'd find room is another matter. Anything you'd like to see kicked out to make some space? A spring clean in the New Year might be a good thing...

I like this idea. Although I have been an FT subscriber for over 10 years I still think there are some basics of Forteana that are referred to as if we all know about them even though they haven't been mentioned in 10 years. (rather like the Archers, I've been listening to that for 10 years plus and I still don't have a clue whats going on).

There is nothing that I would like to see kicked out though.

HenryFort said:
just add a couple of pages to the 80 ... problem solved !

Yes, more pages! It's been done before, and it thoroughly improved the magazine, and we need more Forteana in our lives!

Actually, I should have mentioned, the Nessie article in this issue is a nice example of what I was on about above, revisiting an old case (one of the most famous in this instance), and finding a fresh spin on it.

The Greek gentleman's pic looks like a wave to me, but I get his point about the chances of him taking it being odd in themselves.

An excellent issue, loved the big foot and nessie features.
"Many of you where not even born...." young whipper snappers, i was almost at the grizzled maturity of 3 when the mag fist came out

Thanks for the kind words on the Nessie article, glad people enjoyed it.

Gordon

Mine turned up, yesterday. :)

Really enjoyed the FT related autobiographical & historical Phenomenomix strip. :yeay:

Really enjoyed the FT related autobiographical & historical Phenomenomix strip.

I've met him and he really does look just like that. :D

Thought this issue was a brilliant read! FT at its peak of perfection!

The only thing that spoiled this issue was the picture on page 47 of Richard Dawkings!

Otherwise, another brilliant issue from Fortean Towers!

Richard Dawkins! I thought He Who Must Not Be Named/He Who Must Be Avoided was persona non grata here!

I am glad they corrected the "Terminator" and the "door in a tree" pictures in the letters section - Life is confusing enough! :lol:

that terminator just looked like a craggy old tree face though

I loved the favourite articles section. They bought back a lot of memories, and someone chose the main article from the first issue of FT I bought! (The Angel of Mons, if you're wondering). There's quite a few from before my time that really caught my interest, I'll have to look into them!

Shame we didn't get another crazy letters page like last anniversary, that was absolutely hilarious. Maybe for the 50th birthday/400th issue? (hint hint)

The crazy letters section ought to have been in the 300th issue!

Urvogel said:
I loved the favourite articles section. They bought back a lot of memories, and someone chose the main article from the first issue of FT I bought! (The Angel of Mons, if you're wondering). There's quite a few from before my time that really caught my interest, I'll have to look into them!

Shame we didn't get another crazy letters page like last anniversary, that was absolutely hilarious. Maybe for the 50th birthday/400th issue? (hint hint)

I was hoping for a crazy letters special too. And a round up of the best headlines like there was in a previous anniversary.
I still recall one headline from that round up - 'incest more common than thought in America.'

Back