• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT326

liveinabin

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Has no one else had theirs yet, or am I the only person sad enough to start a thread?
Mine arrived at Bin Towers on Friday.

Vampires seems to be the main theme.

Is there something going on with the light levels at FT HQ? I ask because so many pictures seem to be printed too dark. I had to look up the ghost picture from Hampton Court online so I could see it properly. I've had this problem before with the pictures.

Has no one else had theirs yet, or am I the only person sad enough to start a thread?
Mine arrived at Bin Towers on Friday.

Vampires seems to be the main theme.

Is there something going on with the light levels at FT HQ? I ask because so many pictures seem to be printed too dark. I had to look up the ghost picture from Hampton Court online so I could see it properly. I've had this problem before with the pictures.

I've got mine but waited for this thread to appear. Sad as I am.
It was nice to see one of my favourites pop up again. The South African spheres are really intriguing. I hope there's an update on these in a future FT. Next months issue issue could provide an ideal opportunity for a catch up.

You have a point - especially regarding the black and white pics. They look a bit gloomy and could probably to with a levels tweak.

I've got mine, but I've been busy and am also reading a book at the moment, so I've only read Mythconceptions, which I always read as soon as I open my new FT.

The pics are sometimes a bit dark. We had the un-seeable "moonbow" a couple of months back.

Mine just came today. I don't really have an issue with the pics - there's three Hampton Court ghosts pics and the two black and white ones are fine. Maybe the colour one could be a little bit brighter but I'd not have thought of it if I hadn't read your post.

Mine arrived on Saturday, I've read all the articles and am now onto the news items and features. The crucifixion one was really interesting, could have been longer. I always heard it was suffocation that killed you in the execution, but the cheery 70s man in the photo gives lie to that. So Christ probably died because he was beaten mostly to death, though I have also heard it said starvation was usually a factor.

The one about politicians rubbed me up the wrong way. I liked the stuff about the earlier politicians but talking about current ones pissed me off rather. Firstly the author seemed to be very pro Gove, that makes me take a dislike to someone from the start. Then he was very dismissive of the greens making out that if you the only people who would consider voting for them are the types that knit their own yoghurt. I suggest there are a fair few FT readers who have eaten the odd lentil or brown bread. If they are voters for the Green party is another point but I think that referring to people who live their life in a slightly more environmentally fashion as weird is a bit to far. (he might have not used the word weird but it was inferred).

He did seem to have a bee in his bonnet about the Greens. Worth it for bringing Captain Beany to my attention, though.

The one about politicians rubbed me up the wrong way. I liked the stuff about the earlier politicians but talking about current ones pissed me off rather. Firstly the author seemed to be very pro Gove, that makes me take a dislike to someone from the start. Then he was very dismissive of the greens making out that if you the only people who would consider voting for them are the types that knit their own yoghurt. I suggest there are a fair few FT readers who have eaten the odd lentil or brown bread. If they are voters for the Green party is another point but I think that referring to people who live their life in a slightly more environmentally fashion as weird is a bit to far. (he might have not used the word weird but it was inferred).

Haven't got the issue yet but anyone who likes Gove has to be the Spawn of Satan. The Greens sometimes get unfairly criticised, even caricatured. I'm an ex Green and I've been guilty of it myself.

Unfortunately, my Dad likes Gove.

So I suppose that makes me the Spawn of the Spawn of Satan. :D

Unfortunately, my Dad likes Gove.

So I suppose that makes me the Spawn of the Spawn of Satan. :D

1. (Deuteronomy 5:9)--" I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, and on the third and the fourth generations of those who hate Me,"

A good issue, i didn't find the westminster weirdos anywhere near as rubbish as most SD tucker articles, i actually enjoyed this one, the ghosts of hampton court was interesting, as was crucifixion science, but the highlight of this issue was the fortean traveller article, i will be going to do a ghost hunt in castle bran in september, so that article was a good introduction to transylvania and castle bran looks really scary, if i ever get scared on a ghost hunt it will be there.

I keep a selection of my favourite articles from each issue. From this one, only the regular fairy feature, which I keep from every issue (I love fairy lore) and the fortean traveller piece, begrudgingly really, as it contained no information I don't possess in books, but I liked the personal touch of the article. There was one issue some time ago in which I kept nothing, but otherwise that is the least that has struck me as worth preserving. For me, it was a disappointing issue. However, I don't hold with those who say the mag is losing its touch, as there have been many fab issues recently, in my opinion.

I think the problem Pete is that Forteana is a very broad church.
I personally can't be bothered with UFOs but to many that is the cornerstone.
In every recent issue there has been at least one article that I have go so far though and then just not bothered finishing. I think I read every article in this issue.

I think the problem Pete is that Forteana is a very broad church.
I personally can't be bothered with UFOs but to many that is the cornerstone.
In every recent issue there has been at least one article that I have go so far though and then just not bothered finishing. I think I read every article in this issue.

Yeah, I used to be really into UFOs & Ghosts. Now they are just meh.

Yeah, I used to be really into UFOs & Ghosts. Now they are just meh.
I was into UFOs, and then, after sooo many years of reading about encounters that were all much of a muchness with no real progress being made, I lost interest. Yet, I always find the UFO part of FT fascinating. Because it seems to acknowledge nothing new has been found but focuses on the nature of the encounters and the UFO community. Also, the odd really interesting case, like PC Godfrey's experience covered in the last issue, does still fascinate me. I wonder how many other forteans were once avid UFO fans but have become weary of the subject as time as gone on.

I became weary of UFOs when the subject became less about some "fancy that!" tales and amusing speculation and more about pushing a conspiracy theorist, anti-science posing as new science agenda. There were only so many accounts of alien abduction gathered under hypnosis I could take before reluctantly giving up and going back to the vintage cases for my entertainment.

Still have to read most of it.

Liked the Dolls piece.

The egging of houses was also interesting. In one series of incidents black ouddings, bacon and even legs of mutton were thrown. Reminds me of a Dublin demo where a leg of lamb was thrown at police.

A good issue, i didn't find the westminster weirdos anywhere near as rubbish as most SD tucker articles, i actually enjoyed this one, the ghosts of hampton court was interesting, as was crucifixion science, but the highlight of this issue was the fortean traveller article, i will be going to do a ghost hunt in castle bran in september, so that article was a good introduction to transylvania and castle bran looks really scary, if i ever get scared on a ghost hunt it will be there.

Yeah, for an SD Tucker article it was pretty even-handed and almost funny.

I became weary of UFOs when the subject became less about some "fancy that!" tales and amusing speculation and more about pushing a conspiracy theorist, anti-science posing as new science agenda
There is also the superficial (yet for me both persuasive and perceptable) correlation between the rise and fall of The Cold War, and the quantity of mainstream media reported classic UFO sightings. This reductionist paradigm may truly be much closer to being the hard-core (and depressingly terrestrial) solution to a large proportion of 1947-1997 sightings.

On an arguably-related note: I think FT-326 is the edition wherein Christopher Knight's publishers the valient Watkins, have taken out a full-page advert for his latest book "God's Blueprint"?

Surely I'm not the only FTMB member to be currently ploughing their way through it? It is either the ultimate chutzpah epistle of the anthropic principle, carved upon the cosmos.....or it is not.

I find Knight's material to be like a massive chunk of frozen chilli chocolate: addictive, shocking, classic, presumptuous, familiar yet alien....a confection of enticing concepts. And, nearing the end of his partially re-served ice-fire, I do feel increasingly uneasy. But a fascinating, and hugely thought-provoking read.

Come on Board, speak on it, please!!

An enjoyable article on Westminster. Few real characters left there now.

Hampton Court was meh.

Fortean history was interesting again.
I was pleasantly surprised how old school eccentricity was tolerated until relatively recently.

Catching up on the spring and summer editions. Any thoughts on the girl in the bush picture? Surely a simulacra but does look a lot like a girl. Scale would suggest it isn't. Had to have a little chuckle about the description of the grandfather liking to go on long walks to isolated spits in the middle of nowhere with his friend the priest and his camera...

The IHTM about the face in the back of the stolen van was particularly chilling when you consider the pay-off. Far more sinister than I was expecting it to turn out.

Catching up on the spring and summer editions. Any thoughts on the girl in the bush picture? Surely a simulacra but does look a lot like a girl. Scale would suggest it isn't. Had to have a little chuckle about the description of the grandfather liking to go on long walks to isolated spits in the middle of nowhere with his friend the priest and his camera...

The IHTM about the face in the back of the stolen van was particularly chilling when you consider the pay-off. Far more sinister than I was expecting it to turn out.

Yeah, that girl in the bush pic was really freaky. It seems too good to be a simulacra so IMO it was probably a real girl hiding for some reason. Maybe she was out for a walk with her own family and was playing hide and seek with her siblings and just happened to see the priest and his friend passing by?

Back