• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT346

Oh, you Lucky Thing! I am envious that you have your copy already! So jealous!

Just came through the door, Hallowe'en issue!

Ditto-snap. Praise the saints! (of darkness, obviously...and, presuming that such a 'shadow cabinet' has ever been appointed?)

Looks v good, based upon a quick skim. And the red-eyed skelingtons adorning the front cover are gorgeously ghastly (I always do like an FT cover that might successfully-entrap a few more extra passing flies into the alterweb of forteana...this cover hits the spot at an Etiennesque level. Bravo!).

Shan't get a proper chance to read it 'til Monday, late of the clock. Most vexing. But it'll keep..

Made some progress with this issue, it's OK, but it's not going to be one of my favourites. I was interested reading the articles without being totally engrossed. Maybe it's the disappointment of no Mythconceptions? Mind you, I'm not finished it yet, so there's plenty of opportunity for it to redeem itself.

is it me or are the covers of slightly different material, they seem less glossy and a toucher rougher ...

is it me or are the covers of slightly different material, they seem less glossy and a toucher rougher ...
There might be a second use for the mag after you've read it.

Glad my copy hasn't arrived yet, as I am in the middle of clearing out the house (skip bin due any minute now!) - once all the old junk gets heaved out, I am sure there's time for the best read ever.

Still heaving out old junk - makes space for new junk! There's stuff I haven't seen in years and cannot recall buying!

Just finished my second read. What do you say? I didn't notice any change in the quality of the cover, to be honest. and I was stuck for finding the "Hitler's Hellmouth" piece and wondered if there'd been an editorial slip, then realised it was the "Fortean Traveller" bit at the back - realised with a horrible guilty start how often I tend to skip over this bit to get to the letters, personal accounts, and Hunt Emerson.Iit was actually quite interesting as a mystery. And so much in Eastern Europe has been "clouded" by the undeniable fact so much of the ground war in WW2 passed over the region - so much has been lost, destroyed, disrupted, et c, what with total war going on, and all the population transfers and rebuilding that went on after 1945. Not to mention the paranoid secrecy of the Warsaw Pact, Stalinism, cold war, et c. (And what came this way in 1968?) The idea the current Czech administration has got secrets it doesn't want out in the open is plausible. And you also have the mixing of populations that occured prior to 1945 and the forcible expulsion of the Czech Germans. several scenarios: no European country, and this includes Britain, wants to admit to the full degree of colloboration that went on with Germany during the war years. We were never occupied. Czechoslovakia was one of Hitler's first scalps. Evidence of collaboration is embarrassing. Was Hrad Houska some sort of centre for Czech colloborationists who even today don't want their involvement with the occupiers to come out in the open? It was later used as a "convalescent centre" - shades of the Russian use of "mental hospitals" as informal prisons for people hostile or critical of the regime? Reason for highly placed Czech people to be nervous and hide the relevant files and documents that could be used against them? Also, the location appears to place it in what was then the Sudetenland - the then dominantly German part of the country. Could be worth digging a bit deeper here - for instance, out of the many "foreign legion" battalions of the Waffen-SS was there a specifically Czech one? Was the German destruction of all records at HH motivated by a sort of kindness, or fellow-soldier loyalty, to ethnic Czechs who volunteered for the SS - to leave no records that could be used to incriminate Czech SS men after the war? We know they did this for SS men of other nationalities, after all, when they realised the war was over. This is beginning to interest me...

Last edited:
Interesting. It's historically confused, but very, very, few ethnic Czechs volunteered for the SS, apparently. So there wasn't a Czech unit as such in the Waffen SS. Plenty of Sudeten Germans and plenty of forced conscripts (most of whom were apparently pardoned after the war as coercion was understood to have happened) but barely enough volunteers for a company, let alone a full batallion or regiment. But what status did Hrad Houska have for the SS? One source confirms the SS used the place for normal understandable military purposes (garrison, training centre or admin purposes) and discounts any oddness completely. The dead men buried in the grounds suggests a military prison or detention centre?

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistori...czechs_fight_in_the_german_army_or_waffen_ss/

If you want to excavate the floor of the chapel, I volunteer to be lowered into the entrance to hell. It can't be any worse than this world will be after the American elections, regardless of who wins.

i understand the current custodians are reluctant to allow digging, but what about non-invasive investigation - the geophysics devices used in Time Team, for instance, that could locate anomolies such as pits and cavities under the floor? There's a thought - send in the Time Team crew, albeit without any JCB's....

I found this issue a bit meh, only the "there be dragons" article and jenny randles piece held my interest, but it is clever to have the peter brookesmith article right next to UFO casebook, that way brookesmith can glance across and see how a UFO article should be, instead of his pointless drivel.

And a final moan, a right handed archer will hold thier bow with the left hand and draw with thier right, its an archery thing, not a symbol of satan

Yeah, it wasn't very scary for a Halloween issue.

My copy of this issue has yet to arrive, and my subscription is still active (a while to go before it runs out!) - anyone else not get their copy of this issue, or have the weirdness of Royal Mail and Australia Post combined to eat my issue?!

My copy of this issue has yet to arrive, and my subscription is still active (a while to go before it runs out!) - anyone else not get their copy of this issue, or have the weirdness of Royal Mail and Australia Post combined to eat my issue?!

Sorry to hear you haven't got your copy yet! It was a real humdinger!

Well, I've had one copy arrive the day before the next issue arrived, so perhaps that will happen this time...

Finally read the Hitler's Hellmouth piece and really enjoyed it. However, I think it was just an entertaining tale without much substance.
As Titchagain notes, archers will hold their bow in the left hand - who knew the covers of my books were so Satanic? Not me.

rotw-tw-audible.jpg

I feel fairly sure Hitler really wasn't too interested in the occult - that was Himmler's thing. I could be wrong but I read a few books on occult Nazism years ago and that's how I remember it.
As for it being a castle, and having battlements on the inside? Well, I don't see any battlements in pictures and in what way is it even a castle? Just looks like a big house to me! :p
I came home planning on researching it further but there's really nothing out there.
Apparently it was built to keep something IN but where's the architectural evidence for that?

Hrad Houska article was really good. Never heard of it before. Plus the diaboliques article led me down a wormhole of art that was very enjoyable… :cat:

Back