• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

'Ghost Hunting' Shows Are Getting So Bad That It's Beyond Amusing

I'd imagine so. I follow Caitlin Doherty (Ask a Mortician) on You Tube and have her semi-autobiography "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes"* which is very good. She pointed out that the biggest hurdle to pass was the revulsion of dead bodies. She didn't mention being worried about feeling a tap on her shoulder ... :)

* Available online, highly recommended.
Thanks. I enjoy her videos.

Ghosthunters in Fife pick up an award
‘Who you gonna call?’: Fife-based Scottish Paranormal team wins ghost hunting series award
by Michael Alexander
December 4 2020, 8.00am

Scottish Paranormal, a paranormal research team based in West Wemyss in Fife, has been awarded Silver for the best Ghost Hunting Series (Facebook) in the annual Higgypop Paranormal Entertainment Awards.
Higgypop was created in 2006 and has grown to be one of the largest websites dedicated to the paranormal and is now the number one site for reviews of paranormal TV.
The Scottish Paranormal Team comprises of Ryan O’Neill, Greg Stewart, Ally Reid and Kyle Stewart and has over two decades of verifiable experience.
Team members have appeared on several television shows including Brew Dogs, Help! My House Is Haunted, Most Haunted, Tough Gig and behind scenes of Ghost Hunters International (Scotland) and are also established authors of both paranormal and historical books.
etc

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/new...anormal-team-wins-ghost-hunting-series-award/

Cool. One of our friends (Chris Halton) has had some of his ghost investigation vids picked up by the Amazon Prime channel, the first one made available to view, rent or buy yesterday. For people who moan about most paranormal investigators looking like goths, Chris looks like he's time travelled from the 1940s. More importantly, he knows what he's doing.

I'd suggest that there are a few factors.
The extant public fear/thrill/unease over mental illness.
Like, a place where mentally ill patients were resident has been 'contaminated'.

The general thrill of large, rambling buildings.
Perhaps not haunted but inhabited by "hobos", junkies, and other ... urban explorers.

The general image of a medical facility.
Ventnor's (IoW) massive sanatorium which treated "chest diseases" such as TB, has been long gone, and is now a huge and wonderful public park and garden ... but "rumours" of the area being "haunted" persist.

I think it's mostly - not all - concerning the first factor. The taboo of mental illness. It's been used by many films and games* to inspire dread and thrill. This, combined with the natural association between a place where a lot of people died - such as battlefields - means that an old, rambling building, surrounded by local distaste and rumour, associated with medical death, is bound to have ghosts in. Isn't it? (#sarcasm)
There is good argument to note that locations involved with emotional events have many legends of ghosts. In this, ordinary homes where old folk died happy are ... open to phenomena. But a hospital has so much more "emotion"?
Why, then, do many people worry about cemeteries (of those already dead not killed in their precincts), or morgues?

* I'm not having a 'go' at games, of course. But, like cemeteries, they've become cliche with many genre.

Just come across 'Paranormal scholar' channel on YouTube. None of the annoying like, subscribe and share y'all nonsense.
Just creepy stories told in a calm manner covering a wide range of fortean subjects.
One of the best I've seen.

Like, a place where mentally ill patients were resident has been 'contaminated'.

The general thrill of large, rambling buildings.
Perhaps not haunted but inhabited by "hobos", junkies, and other ... urban explorers.

The general image of a medical facility.
Ventnor's (IoW) massive sanatorium which treated "chest diseases" such as TB, has been long gone, and is now a huge and wonderful public park and garden ... but "rumours" of the area being "haunted" persist.

I think it's mostly - not all - concerning the first factor. The taboo of mental illness. It's been used by many films and games* to inspire dread and thrill. This, combined with the natural association between a place where a lot of people died - such as battlefields - means that an old, rambling building, surrounded by local distaste and rumour, associated with medical death, is bound to have ghosts in. Isn't it? (#sarcasm)
There is good argument to note that locations involved with emotional events have many legends of ghosts. In this, ordinary homes where old folk died happy are ... open to phenomena. But a hospital has so much more "emotion"?
Why, then, do many people worry about cemeteries (of those already dead not killed in their precincts), or morgues?

* I'm not having a 'go' at games, of course. But, like cemeteries, they've become cliche with many genre.
I read an interesting point of view in a book on the paranormal a few years back, the writer was speculating that football grounds could meet the criteria for future hauntings because they contain thousands of highly emotionally charged fans watching the games so this energy in theory could be 'recorded' and re manifest itself in the future, no deaths needed.

Cool. One of our friends (Chris Halton) has had some of his ghost investigation vids picked up by the Amazon Prime channel, the first one made available to view, rent or buy yesterday. For people who moan about most paranormal investigators looking like goths, Chris looks like he's time travelled from the 1940s. More importantly, he knows what he's doing.
Proof that he knows what he’s doing please?

I read an interesting point of view in a book on the paranormal a few years back, the writer was speculating that football grounds could meet the criteria for future hauntings because they contain thousands of highly emotionally charged fans watching the games so this energy in theory could be 'recorded' and re manifest itself in the future, no deaths needed.
Fuck. Sunderland has to be the biggest hotspot in Britain then if bitter disappointment and anguish causes these phenomena.

Proof that he knows what he’s doing please?
If that's a sincere question from you out of a desire to find out and decide for yourself, I can pm you his contact details so you can talk with him. Would you like me to do that?.

Fuck. Sunderland has to be the biggest hotspot in Britain then if bitter disappointment and anguish causes these phenomena.
I know you're joking but I wonder if only negative emotions like bitter disappointment and anguish and similar are the only triggers for paranormal phenomena or if any heightened emotions could do the trick?.

I know you're joking but I wonder if only negative emotions like bitter disappointment and anguish and similar are the only triggers for paranormal phenomena or if any heightened emotions could do the trick?.
Well. Firstly he have to work out and prove if there is any form of paranormal activity at all in the first place.

Well. Firstly he'd have to work out and prove if there is any form of paranormal activity at all in the first place.
Yep, he's happy to debunk on location. I've worked with airy fairy investigators before which is why I think this thread is a valuable one. Chris Halton is sober in his approach instead so not a 'ghost hunter', he investigates to see if there's any paranormal anomalies or not instead . He's gathered a lot of evidence but if he had proof of the after life, he'd be a world famous billionaire by now and the churches around the world would probably see a massive leap in attendance. So no, he hasn't got proof. He is, however, ploddingly methodical.

It would be interesting to see if anyone can get the same interpretation without having any background story to the evps. I'm guessing they wouldn't!
I applied for a grant from the SPR once. Part of the work would have involved setting up a web site with different recordings (including the same recordings at different compression rates and recordings at the same time with different sampling rates). People would then listen to them and report what they thought they heard. Head of the grant group liked it and then he died and the new head wasn’t interested. Subsequently money was given to someone else for a very similar project.

If heightened emotions do it, surely wedding centers would be likely location for hauntings. The happiness of the bride and groom, the tears of joy of the parents, the disappointment and anguish of the in-laws.

If heightened emotions do it, surely wedding centers would be likely location for hauntings. The happiness of the bride and groom, the tears of joy of the parents, the disappointment and anguish of the in-laws.
You could be right. I've read loads of reports about laughing being heard in abandoned places and poltergeists are often described as mischievous more than malicious. Having said that, most of the possibly haunted places our crew have been to have a legend of an unhappy or tragic history and we have to ask ourselves why always the depressing back story?

You could be right. I've read loads of reports about laughing being heard in abandoned places and poltergeists are often described as mischievous more than malicious. Having said that, most of the possibly haunted places our crew have been to have a legend of an unhappy or tragic history and we have to ask ourselves why always the depressing back story?
I'm guessing here, but maybe because people tend to relive bad experiences more often, trying to figure what they did wrong. Or of course one of the other common ideas is that people return trying to relay some message that they felt strongly about.

Happiness is a fleeting emotion, difficult to hold onto. Anger and sadness are emotions which tend to stay with people. I think very strong emotions resonate moreso.

I applied for a grant from the SPR once. Part of the work would have involved setting up a web site with different recordings (including the same recordings at different compression rates and recordings at the same time with different sampling rates). People would then listen to them and report what they thought they heard. Head of the grant group liked it and then he died and the new head wasn’t interested. Subsequently money was given to someone else for a very similar project.
Annoying that you didn't get to investigate your theory. Do you know what the findings were from the person that got the grant?

Whenever I watch that Zack fella it seems to me like he has an unhealthy obsession with Demons!
Flickering lights: must be a demon etc.
Someone once posted on one of his talkbacks "And in this episode of Ghost Hunters, Zack Baggans tries to find a pair of pants that fit". Made me laugh anyway.

I quite liked the earlier episodes of Ghost Adventures but he soon became annoying.
Can't watch him anymore!

Perhaps the problem is that many small groups start out to record and broadcast their 'hunts' and, with clicks, likes and You Tube monetisation, it goes to their head and start become a performance act.

Perhaps the problem is that many small groups start out to record and broadcast their 'hunts' and, with clicks, likes and You Tube monetisation, it goes to their head and start become a performance act.

"Performance" is the perfect word for it. Just like that old phrase "everyone's a critic", now everyone online is a performer - as well as a critic.

I've started watching "Kindred Spirits" on Really (Sky channel 142).
It makes a nice contrast to the hysteria of Most Haunted, with its minimalist approach.
No psychic artists or mediums, just a couple of investigators, armed with cameras, EVP recorders and assorted EDI/EMF apparatus.
Kindred Spirits' far more sober approach makes it a bit more impressive when something inexplicable does occur.
I remain sceptical, as some of their "hits" still seem too good to be true, but it's worth a look.

Last edited:
Morning swifty I like chris Halton watch him on prime now and again he does a very good background history on the places he investigates.
No over the top shouting and screaming and no demons etc.Bet he is an interesting fella to talk to about the paranormal.

The problem with most YouTube paranormal investigators is they get lots of views and are monetized on that basis. If nothing happened, no one would watch, so there is a real insentive to fake stuff. Has anyone else noticed that ghost videos seem to follow trends? It used to be girls with long black hair covering their faces, now it's a glimpse of a figure ducking around a corner. I've not seen anything remotely believable, and Chills? Don't get me started.....

The 'fear' of the mentally unwell is transferred to the location in which they lived, maybe? I've always put that fear down to the fact that the body language of the mentally ill being somewhat 'scrambled'. When we approach one another, we read so much of the intentions of the other person from their body language, so when we are with someone whose body language doesn't follow patterns we are used to, we become uneasy.

Morning swifty I like chris Halton watch him on prime now and again he does a very good background history on the places he investigates.
No over the top shouting and screaming and no demons etc.Bet he is an interesting fella to talk to about the paranormal.
I've never investigated anywhere with him personally but people I've worked with have. He was (understandably) a bit excited when his videos recently got picked up as TV broadcast quality. Me and him have been having private conversations about using late 80's small portable battery operated TV sets in a 'white noise' way because we're curious that the places we've visited independently that provide good EVP results on our digital sound recorders might also provide good visual anomalies on one of these small TV sets. The advantage of using this low tech is that, of course, TV networks don't broadcast anymore on the wavelengths those sets were designed to pick up so, in theory, any images displayed would/could be clean of external pollution factors.

Neither me or Chris Halton have tried this out yet (thanks to covid restrictions) but look out for this method of investigating springing up in his or our videos in the future. And then sceptics slagging us off for doing it of course because that's what sceptics do. We think Baconsthope Castle will be the first location we trial this method at.

Not sure if it is an ego problem as much as a money issue. FrankoTV was all about the adventure and finding the truth. Then he got laid off because of Covid and decided to try and make his youtube program his full time job. That's when the "acting and entertainment" took over and he became like all the rest.

Back