• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

'Ghost Hunting' Shows Are Getting So Bad That It's Beyond Amusing

To be honest .. I'm not worried about people believing in what we do or not .. I'm not their bitch or their secretary .. I owe sceptics nothing at all except respect if they're polite about how they go about their scrutiny .. I keep hand written notes as well as waving gadgets around in any way we think suits each environment .. and we've have some inexplicable results. We don't sell anything, we're not making any money from our pastime .. we get pestered by sceptics sometimes who can't just spit it out and say 'bullshit' .. we couldn't give a fuck about those people either .. that doesn't affect how we work ..
People just can't accept that some have an interest in a subject without getting all hung up about it. Happens in all sorts of areas of life.

People just can't accept that some have an interest in a subject without getting all hung up about it. Happens in all sorts of areas of life.
To fair to them though, this is the ghost hunting shows are a load of bollocks thread .. I'd argue 'they' have every right to express that opinion inside this chat area. I might even learn something new here.

I know I'm repeating myself but I can't enjoy any of these recent ghost programmes, they're all just so fake and have this horrible plastic atmosphere to them like Made in Chelsea meets the paranormal, but it's not the paranormal. I think the last good programmes went out with 1990s History Channel, Discovery Civilisation Channel etc,. I haven't given up all hope of an interesting ghost hunting series but I still haven't found anything close to good recently.

Regardless of the technology used, as soon as I see so-called ghost hunters squeal, panic and run it amuses me for a few moments then switch off.
I understand that they may be startled but why are they scared of something they actually want to experience and record? It's like being a fire fighter and being scared of fire. There's respecting the risk but if you don't want the risk then walk away.

Wait, what? Please, tell us about this.

I'm pretty sure I've told it on here a couple of times at least, but here it is again:

When I was about 8 years old, I woke up one morning in bed and looked over to see a dusty man's corpse in bed with me. I stared at it unable to believe what I was seeing until some seconds later it turned into my teddy bear. That's about it!

I'm pretty sure I've told it on here a couple of times at least, but here it is again:

When I was about 8 years old, I woke up one morning in bed and looked over to see a dusty man's corpse in bed with me. I stared at it unable to believe what I was seeing until some seconds later it turned into my teddy bear. That's about it!

Ah yes, the dusty old man's corpse masquerading as a teddy bear. Count yourself lucky you didn't encounter a Babadook, or even a werewolf, for that matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regardless of the technology used, as soon as I see so-called ghost hunters squeal, panic and run it amuses me for a few moments then switch off.
I understand that they may be startled but why are they scared of something they actually want to experience and record? It's like being a fire fighter and being scared of fire. There's respecting the risk but if you don't want the risk then walk away.
Perhaps the squeal panic and running is simply bad acting designed to heighten the "atmosphere". Whatever it is, it's pathetic. Fielding got some flack for it and seemed to tone it down which makes me think it was all just for effect.

I recall one episode when, investigating a pub toilet, the sound of the automatic air freshener almost made her pass out!
After that I used to refer to her a "pants Yvetter". :)

Only reason/excuse I can think of is they're afraid of getting possessed. I remember one video on YT where one of the hunters seemingly got possessed. She looked both crazy and sick at the same time. They didn't dare to take her to the ER in case she was sectioned. You will never know if it was real or acting of course.

I might have imagined this but wasn't a script left on set and found by somebody who blew the whistle. Part of it contained something like "Yvette hears noise and feels touch on shoulder."
I've only watched a couple of episodes as I found the muppet dressed in panto costume claiming to be a demonologist, and talking bollocks really put me off.:rolleyes:

I might have imagined this but wasn't a script left on set and found by somebody who blew the whistle. Part of it contained something like "Yvette hears noise and feels touch on shoulder."
I've only watched a couple of episodes as I found the muppet dressed in panto costume claiming to be a demonologist, and talking bollocks really put me off.:rolleyes:
I think talking bollocks became a mainstay of these shows. Shame really because I was fascinated when they first appeared on telly, but latterly have just ignored them.

Only reason/excuse I can think of is they're afraid of getting possessed.
If you believe, truly, that there's a risk to life and soul then don't look to endanger your life or soul.
It's like someone wanting to swim with sharks acting surprised when their leg gets bitten off by a shark.
Note: I can understand when people take on more than they can, or want to, handle - but when the resultant video is cleaned up, edited, touted and repeats is encouraged ... you question both the motive and the veracity of the poster.
"Hey! My experience has made me scared of demonic entities! Just hit me up and share my post b-cos I care!" #bullshit #exploitation.

Will storr vs the paranormal, an excellent book.

My favorite times in ghost investigations are when the "hunters" try speaking to the purported ghosts in places where the local inhabitants did not, or could not, speak English. Asking a pre-Columbian Incan or other Native American, "Are you there? Will you speak to us?" is about as effective as calling out "Ickity ackity oop op op!"

My favorite times in ghost investigations are when the "hunters" try speaking to the purported ghosts in places where the local inhabitants did not, or could not, speak English. Asking a pre-Columbian Incan or other Native American, "Are you there? Will you speak to us?" is about as effective as calling out "Ickity ackity oop op op!"
Yeah, that's hilarious. Especially american ghost hunters seems to think all the old ghosts outside USA understands English.

I think talking bollocks became a mainstay of these shows. Shame really because I was fascinated when they first appeared on telly, but latterly have just ignored them.

I freely admit that when I tuned into Ghostwatch, a 'documentary' screened as live TV by the BBC in 1992, I didn't realise it was a spoof. Finally, I thought, the TV cameras were going in to investigate a reportedly poltergeist-infested Council house. It was the jokey blokey attitude of one of the presenters, Craig Charles (who I loved in Red Dwarf at the time) that made me switch over early on. Now conversely, it is the hyped up enthusiasm and intensity of the ghost-hunting show presenters that make me switch off all together.

I haven't visited the thread for some time but what does everyone think of the 'evidence' that is captured on these shows?
My wife is a fan of the original tv shows ones with Jason and Grant- Ghosthunters...and Nick and Katrina -Paranormal Lockdown. She and I also watch the Portals To Hell with Jack Osbourne. To me, at times, it is entertaining...not always of course.
Any way....the 'investigators' often capture doors moving and other things moving , odd noises, evp voices that often are pretty clear, etc.
If we assume these are not ghosts or spirits or paranormal ,what have you...then are we assuming they are created falsely by the show producers?
Is it faked....? If so, why haven't they been caught out by now?

What about cold spots? If you could show a static cold spot with no obvious source, it seems like that could be a big deal.

I've often compared going out on ghost investigations ('hunting') is very similar to hobby fishing:

There's people with expensive tackle and they depend on that too much sometimes
There's people with local knowledge who go out when they think they're more likely to catch something
There's people who use different bait
There's people who get bored quickly because they can't catch anything .. the bob bobbing but nothing. So they quit.

In fact, most of the time, hobby fishers don't catch anything ..

.. then you get the liars .. 'The one that got away' with exaggerated arm width people

.. and occasionally we actually do catch a fish! then half the people don't believe us because fish are tangible things and ghosts scientifically aren't .. so we don't chase internet likes ..

.. and again, like fishing, just because you can't see them underneath the water, that doesn't mean there's no fish/ghosts. They both do their own thing. They're both recordable though.

Last edited:
Thing is. People from all walks of life catch fish, no matter what gear they use and produce clear photographic evidence.
Because fish exist.
And you can see them under the water. This is one of the ways to catch them.

Last edited:
Thing is. People from all walks of life catch fish, no matter what gear they use and produce clear photographic evidence.
Because fish exist.
I'm not arguing that fish exist .. I've seen Finding Nemo.

I know I'm repeating myself but I can't enjoy any of these recent ghost programmes, they're all just so fake and have this horrible plastic atmosphere to them like Made in Chelsea meets the paranormal, but it's not the paranormal. I think the last good programmes went out with 1990s History Channel, Discovery Civilisation Channel etc,. I haven't given up all hope of an interesting ghost hunting series but I still haven't found anything close to good recently.
They should introduce the paranormal into Made in Chelsea - might make the programme even vaguely watchable.

I freely admit that when I tuned into Ghostwatch, a 'documentary' screened as live TV by the BBC in 1992, I didn't realise it was a spoof. Finally, I thought, the TV cameras were going in to investigate a reportedly poltergeist-infested Council house. It was the jokey blokey attitude of one of the presenters, Craig Charles (who I loved in Red Dwarf at the time) that made me switch over early on. Now conversely, it is the hyped up enthusiasm and intensity of the ghost-hunting show presenters that make me switch off all together.
Ah, but Ghostwatch was always intended - and quietly sign posted - as a drama production. Most shows now, on You Tube or less-than-mainstream TV, tout themselves as serious. Now whether they are 'entertainment' or 'serious' can be argued on a case-by-case basis. But Ghostwatch was first and foremost TV drama.
It's the (slim) difference between an acting troupe putting on a production of "The Importance of Being Earnest" and a YouTube video of shakey-cam footage of some twerp trying to recreate the same plot and actually persuading "Subscribers" that it's for real.

Because fish exist.

If you see a fish under the water then it almost certainly saw you first - I'm wondering if ghosts are just shy or wary if Fleshies are around. Secondly, I used to fish but just can't watch fishing progs (esp. anything with the excitable Robson Green) - fishing is not a spectator sport, fun if you do it but it's no fun watching some-one else do it.

Back