• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ghosts On Normal TV Shows

Also the last Loverjoy...nah forget it
LOVEJOY
The Lost Colony (Christmas Special)

Lovejoy meets distant cousins from America, who are visiting England. As well as a female ghost, old Lord Wakering has treasures which once belonged to Sir Walter Raleigh, and both Lovejoy and Mary-John Lovejoy, his American cousin, want them. Some of Lord Wakering's things are stolen, and Lovejoy travels in hot pursuit to the Carolinas, where he is not made welcome. Charlotte has to fly over to get him out of trouble.

It's pretty well standard practice for many comedy series to throw in the occasional spooky episode.
Dad's Army did it a couple of times - where the van ran out of petrol and they had to stay at a seemingly abandoned old house and the lighthouse episode - both featured Frazer in his element telling ghost stories.
The original Blackadder had Peter Cook playing the decapitated ghost of Richard III.
The sequel to Are You Being Served - Grace and Favour had two spooky episodes, one featuring polt activity and a mummified cat bricked up behind a wall.
One Foot in the Grave has already been mentioned - I particularly liked the episode in which Victor and Patrick have to stay overnight at a creepy house (including a tarantula)
I'm sure we can all remember Only Fools and Horses famous séance episode?
Perhaps Laurel and Hardy were the first to throw ghosts (usually misinterpreted) into the comedy mix:

LOVEJOY
The Lost Colony (Christmas Special)

Lovejoy meets distant cousins from America, who are visiting England. As well as a female ghost, old Lord Wakering has treasures which once belonged to Sir Walter Raleigh, and both Lovejoy and Mary-John Lovejoy, his American cousin, want them. Some of Lord Wakering's things are stolen, and Lovejoy travels in hot pursuit to the Carolinas, where he is not made welcome. Charlotte has to fly over to get him out of trouble.
Watched that and the Shark had well and truly jumped sadly.

Downton Abbey – “Christmas at Downton”​

The unexpected appearance of Lavinia Swires’ ghost in Downton Abbey's first Christmas special is all the stranger because it can’t easily be explained away as a hallucination or dream. Granted, we don’t actually see Lavinia and she isn’t firmly identified, but it seems unlikely that any other ghost would be telling Anna and Daisy via Oujia board “May they be happy,” just as her former fiancé Matthew is about to propose to Mary. Both women swear they aren’t pushing the planchette and more importantly, neither have any reason to do so.

Little House on the Prairie had a full on poltergeist episode centred around one of the young girls from memory .. it might be this one? .. I haven't watched it since about 1980 ..

edit: scroll down past the red pic with the show's title and start with the second paragraph underneath it to get to the point.

https://franticplanet.wordpress.com/2018/11/13/that-time-the-waltons-had-a-poltergeist/

'
What episode of The Waltons is the poltergeist?

The Changling - The Waltons (Season 7, Episode 6) - Apple TV. S7 E6: Just before her thirteenth birthday, Elizabeth becomes reluctant to grow up, and she generates a poltergeist, which causes mischief. Jason has an advice-to-the-lovelorn radio show and gets into more trouble than he can handle.'

edit: I can't seem to find the full episode yet, I'd love to watch it again. Someone's uploaded highlights from it but they've put the POLTERGEIST soundtrack over it .. anyway ..don't bother watching anymore than the first 25 seconds of this video but I remember it has some sort of whirlwind inside the house finale which isn't shown here.

Last edited:
Little House on the Prairie had a full on poltergeist episode centred around one of the young girls from memory .. it might be this one? .. I haven't watched it since about 1980 ..

edit: scroll down past the red pic with the show's title and start with the second paragraph underneath it to get to the point.

https://franticplanet.wordpress.com/2018/11/13/that-time-the-waltons-had-a-poltergeist/

'
What episode of The Waltons is the poltergeist?

The Changling - The Waltons (Season 7, Episode 6) - Apple TV. S7 E6: Just before her thirteenth birthday, Elizabeth becomes reluctant to grow up, and she generates a poltergeist, which causes mischief. Jason has an advice-to-the-lovelorn radio show and gets into more trouble than he can handle.'

edit: I can't seem to find the full episode yet, I'd love to watch it again. Someone's uploaded highlights from it but they've put the POLTERGEIST soundtrack over it .. anyway ..

..there were a few Walton's episodes with an eerie/supernatural premise;

https://www.metv.com/lists/5-eerie-episodes-of-the-waltons-that-are-not-like-the-rest

..there were a few Walton's episodes with an eerie/supernatural premise;

https://www.metv.com/lists/5-eerie-episodes-of-the-waltons-that-are-not-like-the-rest
Cool. I only remember watching 'The Changeling' episode out of all of those Kiwisaint. I'd be 6, my sister was 7 and a half but she was allowed a TV in her bedroom and I wasn't so she'd smuggle me in so we could watch weird stuff without our parents knowing. Like Zoltan- Hound of Dracula or The Planet of the Apes TV series.

Cool. I only remember watching 'The Changeling' episode out of all of those Kiwisaint. I'd be 7, my sister was 8 but she was allowed a TV in her bedroom and I wasn't so she'd smuggle me in so we could watch weird stuff without our parents knowing. Like Zoltan- Hound of Dracula or The Planet of the Apes TV series.
What is interesting is the 'The Changeling' episode may have been inspired by the Enfield Poltergeist.

'Airing in ’78, it’s not hard to imagine the writer was influenced by the story of the Enfield Poltergeist, which was first reported in the worldwide press 14 months earlier, and still ongoing at the time of shooting.'

Back