• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

GhostStudy.com: What Do You Make Of It?

And I will say this, I'm actually impressed with a couple of them this month. I wont say 'shocked', but there are a few which may need some discussion.....

The Hotel Hallway one looks good. The demon on his knees just looks like a swirling thing to me - I can't see an image there. The simulacrum on the gravestone took a while to see, but is very good when you do see it.

I can't see the Ghost in the Tower at all. Anyway, do you really look that closely at photos? I know I don't. I can't see anything in the TB hospital window either. :confused:

Couldn't see last months ghosts on the porch, and I can't see the guy's newest submission.

I find the ones where I can't see what they're talking about the most frustrating. Even outlining what they see doesn't help. I just don't see it. I don't see anything that even vaguely resembles a figure. :confused:

Bugger - the Ghoststudy website appears to be down - i'll try again later and post my comments.

Grrr...

Woo yay! It's back...

Here goes, my thoughts on each picture:

Abandoned Haunted House - Over exposure caused by shooting into the light.

Sydney's oldest Cemetary - Nice simulcra (looks like Skeletor from He-Man ...LOL...)

Old Bus Pic with Apparition - I like this one, but it is likely someone stood behind the frosted glass.

Scary Old Man in TV set - I don't see this?

Car Show of Terror - I think this a poster that is behind the car and that the back right hand door is open. The kid also looks a little faked.

It's a Scarecrow Ghost! - It's a Scarecrow!

Hotel Hallway Apparition - I like this one too. Wish this was a bitmap and not a JPG. The artefacts make it difficult to believe as genuine. I'd like to think it is though.

Demon or Ghost on knees - This just looks like smoke to me.

Baby visits it's death mask - WTF! That is just sick. I'm sorry but who would want that? I haven't had to deal with infant death myself, but that just seems repugnant.

Willard Grey Lady - I take everything from here with a pinch of salt now.

Guard of the tower - I assume he is off having his sandwiches...I can't see anything at all here.

Witches Craig in Scotland - Scotch Mist? (ooh that just made me think of Garth Marenghi's Dark Place...LOL)

Visitor in '57 Buick - probably a reflection of a wheel.

Upper Window Sighting - I can see where they are coming from, but they don't say whether the hospital is abandoned or not.

Man with tall hair seen - Son't see this, even with outlines.

Misty form enters house - Looks like a light anomaly on the camera to me.

Streaming burst of energy - scan of a folded photograph?

Imigrants and a ghost - At first I liked this one, then I studied the picture a little harder. does anyone else feel that it looks more like a painting than a photo? There is something about the whole picture that doesn't quite ring true. If it is a photo, it is good though.

See, an objective view. I have not had a go at anyone I have just discussed the photos.

On the whole I think this months photos have been much better.

Interested to see what everyone else thinks?

MF

The only one that really impressed me was the TV ghost - although that almost seemed too good to be true. It was very creepy, though. The transparent bellhop looking dude in the hotel hallway was kind of interesting, but too easy to photoshop.

The others all seemed explainable, or were such poor quality they could have been anything, or nothing.

At least there weren't any Jesus firecrackers this month. That was just an all time low IMO.

Baby visits it's death mask - WTF! That is just sick. I'm sorry but who would want that? I haven't had to deal with infant death myself, but that just seems repugnant.

these days, in scotland at least, the custom is to take photos and to hold the child for as long as you need. Rather than being sick or repugnant it's a cultural difference, no? People used to have mourning jewellery of jet and hair, portraits and photos and so on...

But it's a theoretical point. Why is it a death mask? western culture post med death masks are usually of the face only aren't they? think of the cromwell one and the beethoven one.... a function was to tie to the shrouded body at points in the ceremonies.

the bust looks like a portrait bust to me.... obviously it's much easyier to creep yourself out and start looking for ghosties if you decide it's a death mask, but apart from the fun aspect....?

why isn't it "just" a portrait?

Kath

No, it doesn't look much like an actual death mask. More of a bust, really. And grief is a funny thing; everyone deals with it differently. Me, I don't like open caskets. Rather remember them alive. Other people feel differently, and I respect that. As long as they don't shove it down my throat when I'm not comfortable with it. Know what I mean?

Still, whether it is or isn't an actual death mask, and whether the submitter has or hasn't suffered the trauma of the loss of an infant, it's still not a convincing photo. It would certainly make sense if the submitter had, because then you'd understand the need to believe that. As it stands, it could be a trifle tasteless, yes. Especially if (heaven forbid!) it's a real death mask bought off ebay or something. :cross eye

Still, it just looks like a reflection to me.

The first photo on the list, can't remember now what it's called, looks considerably strange. Almost as though it had gone through some special effects programme to make it look oil painted.

I like GhostStudy very much, even if Jim is overly enthusiastic at times. The message board, like this one, is very interesting and full of nice people.

Hmmmm....some interesting stuff, both the pics and the responses. The cemetary face is recognized as a simulcra (sp?) although the word isn't used.

I wonder if the face in the glass in the bus photo isn't from a billboard across the street? The window is obviously very reflective, it mirrors some of the men on the bus.

The TV man looks like someone shot a pic of an old movie.

The car show looks like the photog got a poster of Richard Petty lined up just right with the kid. Startling until you take a closer look.

Scarecrow looks interesting, another simulacra. I don't think they use scarecrows in rice fields, but I could be wrong.

I'm confused by the whole death mask thing. The ones I've seen have been of the face, not the whole head. And I can't find any references to infants' death masks to clarify this for myself.

Hmmm...the Williard "grey lady" is kind of interesting. Better than the usual Willard LIbrary stuff. I also detect a note of healthy skepticism.

A 1957 Buick that "drove" the young owner to restore it...Could it be a Fury? Could someone be reading too much Stephen King?

The rest, I would put down to artefacts of the photographic process. But that's just my opinion.

Abandoned house - looks to me like natural decay being highlighted by the flash.

Sydney's graveyard - a creepy, cool looking simulcra,.

Old bus - just a reflection of the driver and the passenger next to him

Hotel hallway - a very cool picture. Once of the most convincing I've ever seen on the site.

Tower and window ones - can't see anything there.

Immigrants sleeping - again a very cool photo.

May just be me, but as impressive as the immigrants picture is, dont you think it looks like a scene from a play? Just reminds me of some kind of 'art-esque' shot.

With regards to the hotel corridor, I'm impressed with that one too. Although I must admit it has a possible 'manipulated' feel too it, it's a very good pic, and would certainly take some debunking. One of my favs from the last few months.

The abondoned haunted house, I see three faces looking very chilling indeed in the haze. Not much detail to them, but enough to be recognisable by the naked eye. Look closely, they are stacked one on top of the other....

The old man in the TV is my fav though. I can see him in the coffin when turned on the side, or just the normal right-away shot is spooky. Quite a chubbier man, with large black eyes and a white shirt and black tie. Sends chills down my spine looking at it. Personally my fav of the month.

The rest I'm either not too sure about (especially the bus pic, just looks like a bill board reflection? And the willard library one, I give up with them), or I cant see a thing, even with outlines?

And no Helen, I dont look at them that closely either. It puts evidence to the fact that if you look closely enough at clouds and flames (not at the same time, if that is happening I suggest running very fast) your imagination can make any shape appear. I think if peeps look closely enough at certain pics, they can easily mistake innocent objects / light casting for more sinister things.

Anyone looked at the ghost girl section yet?

RS

Well here goes...All in all a pretty poor bunch this month I think - although I haven't laughed as much in ages at the Hades one.

Peeping Tom - First thought was "My god they're big!" Looks like the curtains to me though.

Visitor on TV screen - Don't see anything

Direct Passage to Hades - Ha ha ha hah ha ha ha ha ha! Sorry but WTF!

But it's just a baby - Can sort of see where thay are coming from but probably just summat on the window ledge.

Small creature on girls lap - It's fucking Spider-man, for christs sake!

Showed up in broad daylight - It is a shame that the whole picture is out of focus, looks like someone moved and was captured blurry,

Sad Ghost in Alberta Mansion - I quite like this one, it's probably just reflection but it does look good.

Ghostly Trio in Boston - Fag smoke.

Supernatural spider Energy - Looks fake to me

Ghost at Cashtown Inn - Looks like a reflection to me.

Haunted Doorwerth Castle - Just screams fake to me this I'm afraid, very simple to do in Photoshop.

Bathroom Doorway Apparition - Looks faked to me.

Haunted by a head - Again I like this one, it look slike it may just be a flaw in the glass though, still looks good though.

Chillingham castle Ghost - This place has had a lot of coverage from Most Haunted etc... Picture sort of looks faked though - where is the ghosts head though? The picture looks better when not zoomed in.

Not alone on the computer - I quite like this one, however it could easily have been faked. Sort of looks like a reflection with the hair airbrushed out. Still it does look a little creepy.

Captured on Queen Mary - Sorry but this looks very fake to me.

Smiling TV Apparition - Sorry but these TV images don't do anything for me. this just looks like a reflection.

It's not easy being green - Can sort of see what they are saying, but looks like reflection or smoke to me.

Well that's my thoughts - sorry about the expletive though - I just can't believe that they think it is anything other than a spider-man toy!

See y'all

MF

misguidedfool said:
Well that's my thoughts - sorry about the expletive though - I just can't believe that they think it is anything other than a spider-man toy!

Your almost certainly right. I think what most of the photos prove is that people very rarely study what is in their viewfinder before they take a photo. I often find people turning up in odd corners of my architectural photos. You might imagine you have waited until no one is in your field of view, but there will often be someone you've missed. I think most of these photos show real people (or dolls) who the photographer just can't remeber being in the back ground because they were paying too much attention to the subject.

... And the "Gates of Hades" - surely just a piece of art work.

misguidedfool said:
... sorry about the expletive though - I just can't believe that they think it is anything other than a spider-man toy!

MF
So why leave it in?

The Direct Passage to Hades looks quite good, actually. As a piece of art.

Can't see the visitor in the TV at all.

I got bored after the Spider-Man toy. Sorry!

The "direct passage to Hades" pic did make me jump (well it is late and I'm not completely sober!)
All entertaining stuff as usual....maybe I'll send in my photo of the odd mist in the attic of the Ram Inn.....!

You will notice that there's something else... we don't know what this is. It appears to have fingers or toes. When this picture was taken on Father's day, she had her hands in her lap and there was NOTHING behind my grandson or in her lap. I think that whatever has plagued us, has come back....and now it's following our daughter.

"Gah! What the hell is it? Get it away!!!!!"

Surely they can't be that dumb.....

Mind you, this is ghoststudy.com....

The trouble is as other people have pointed out, that we have seen so many fakes that even if Lucifuge Rofocale himself were to appear and be photographed we'd all go, "bah it's a fake".

"Direct Passage To Hades" is beautiful and did scare the hell outta me upon seeing it, but I agree it's probably not a real photograph. I only say probably because there is always a chance until it is proven to be fake.
The spider-man one made me giggle with the obvious-ness though. :D

Nah, that site, (and many others like em) is full of crap. They tend to scrape the barrel a bit to bolster their "Holdy outy handies" beliefs.
I thought the spiderman pic was ace! That open minded that everything washes in. (Actually, believers are more closed minded than any sceptic!)

I have to admit that I'd love to find photographic evidence of ghosts but the pics I come across? *sigh*

Thank god for people who have a brain that is still functoning.

Merged new thread about ghoststudy.com pics with the existing one about ghoststudy.com pics (obviously easily missed..)

Ravenstone said:
The Direct Passage to Hades looks quite good, actually. As a piece of art.

Can't see the visitor in the TV at all.

I got bored after the Spider-Man toy. Sorry!

I can't help thinking that the scariest thing about the visitor on the TV is the boy. Surely he is too old to be wearing nappies.

Damn that's one large nappy-wearing child!! Spooky. Mind you, I can't get over the fact that on the front page they have a link through to the 'Achrives'..... Some pseudo spooky ghost catching religious cult, perchance?

Back