• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Global Warming & Climate Change: The Phenomenon

yes, it seems like global climate change through release of greenhouse-gases has started to evolve beyond a point of no return. take a look at this, it is literally fantastic!
'very grave consequences we face from our actions' (stuart scott)

the other video I found is about 4 years old and also pictured a grim reality for planet earth if the arctic ice would melt too fast, because the amount of methane gas released in the proces would cause even more global warming

'real scientists are running around with their hair on fire' :)

Last edited:
yes, it seems like global climate change through release of greenhouse-gases has started to evolve beyond a point of no return. take a look at this, it is literally fantastic!
'very grave consequences we face from our actions' (stuart scott)

the other video I found is about 4 years old and also pictured a grim reality for planet earth if the arctic ice would melt too fast, because the amount of methane gas released in the proces would cause even more global warming

'real scientists are running around with their hair on fire' :)
we're all gonna die in nine years from Fukushima, so really no problem with this global warming stuff.

Last edited:
some scientist in some video also spoke about the idea that after the sea-level rising from the arctic collapse, lots of nuclear power-plants would meltdown unattended, because they would be under water, by then
Link to the video?

what was it, what was it, I can't remember, some video in the 'arctic methane release' chapters on youtube, if I find it again, I'll post it

Big increase in Antarctic snowfall
Scientists have compiled a record of snowfall in Antarctica going back 200 years.

The study shows there has been a significant increase in precipitation over the period, up 10%.

The effect of the extra snow locked up in Antarctica is to slightly slow a general trend in global sea-level rise.

Etcetera...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-43691671

Interesting event, may be viewed online.

Art & Activism of the Anthropocene Series: Imagining the Impossible: The Role of Art and Novels in Understanding Climate Change - Fully Registered
Wednesday, May 9, 2018 - 6:30 PM | Open to the public | Members' Room | free of charge | advance registration required

THIS EVENT IS FULLY REGISTERED BUT WILL STREAM ON FACEBOOK LIVE BEGINNING SLIGHTLY AFTER 6:30 PM.
https://www.facebook.com/nysoclib/

Climate change is no longer a mere possibility—it's already happening. Glaciers are melting, animal and plant populations are failing, and agricultural practices no longer prevent famine. Around the world, scientists, artists, and activists are addressing climate change in media from nonfiction books to documentary films to live theater. This series brings together writers, journalists, and artists in robust discussion on how they address climate change—and why their work is important in the Anthropocene Era.

What role do novelists and artists play in helping others to better imagine...

https://www.nysoclib.org/events/art...-impossible-role-art-and-novels-understanding

Reactions: Jim
Weird but true: Orbits of Jupiter and Venus affect Earth’s climate, new study says
Who knew? The orbits of planets hundreds of millions of miles away can change weather patterns here on Earth.

Every 405,000 years, gravitational tugs from the planets Jupiter and Venus gradually affect Earth's climate and life forms, according to a new study published Monday.

In fact, this pattern has been going on for at least 215 million years and allows scientists to more precisely date geological events like the spread of dinosaurs.

Rest of article at link:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...er-and-venus-affect-earths-climate/587280002/

Dealing with the problems.

Sonam Wangchuk: An Ice Fountain Brings Water to the Himalayan Desert
Will this engineer’s “ice stupa” come to symbolize climate change adaptation?
By Teresa KrugShareTweetE-mail

High on the Tibetan Plateau, a large frozen structure, called an “ice stupa,” has become a fixture in the cold Himalayan desert region of Ladakh, India. The manmade fountain, steeped in what looks like drizzled wax or white cake frosting, stands in sharp contrast to its arid background. An unusual sight to behold, it draws thousands of visitors to the otherwise remote village.

Named for the similarly shaped Buddhist monuments that dot the landscape, the ice stupa is more than just a work of art. Engineer, educator, and innovator Sonam Wangchuk created it to bring a steady stream of water to residents. Its design is ingeniously simple: Gravity pipes water from glaciers to lower elevations. When the desert temperatures dip below negative 30 degrees Celsius, a pump shoots the water up into the air, where it freezes upon descent. Because of the conical structure, the daytime sun melts only some of the ice each day. So far, the structure has successfully provided water to farmers well into July. Years into the project, even its creator is still in awe.

“It’s an amazing feeling every time I see the fountain gushing water high up into the air,” says Wangchuk. “It’s art and utility happening together.”

Wangchuk and his team made their first prototype of the ice stupa in 2013. Now, they’re building other ice stupas throughout the region and the world, including Switzerland. Wangchuk’s success derives from a restlessly creative mind and a sense of resourcefulness his mother instilled in him at a young age. He grew up in a tiny village in Ladakh, so remote that it was and still is physically cut off from the rest of the world during the six months of winter. As he answered my questions in late March, he mentioned that only then were trucks finally coming in with new vegetables and fruits for “color- and taste-starved” residents. ...

https://www.guernicamag.com/sonam-wangchuk-an-ice-fountain-brings-water-to-the-himalayan-desert/

Oh dear...

Republican lawmaker: Rocks tumbling into ocean causing sea level rise
By Scott Waldman, E&E NewsMay. 17, 2018 , 9:10 AM

Originally published by E&E News

The Earth is not warming. The White Cliffs of Dover are tumbling into the sea and causing sea levels to rise. Global warming is helping grow the Antarctic ice sheet.

Those are some of the skeptical assertions echoed by Republicans on the U.S. House of Representatives Science, Space and Technology Committee yesterday. The lawmakers at times embraced research that questions mainstream climate science during a hearing on how technology can be used to address global warming.

A leading climate scientist testifying before the panel spent much of the two hours correcting misstatements. ...

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018...r-rocks-tumbling-ocean-causing-sea-level-rise

Oh dear...

Republican lawmaker: Rocks tumbling into ocean causing sea level rise
By Scott Waldman, E&E NewsMay. 17, 2018 , 9:10 AM

Originally published by E&E News

The Earth is not warming. The White Cliffs of Dover are tumbling into the sea and causing sea levels to rise. Global warming is helping grow the Antarctic ice sheet.

Those are some of the skeptical assertions echoed by Republicans on the U.S. House of Representatives Science, Space and Technology Committee yesterday. The lawmakers at times embraced research that questions mainstream climate science during a hearing on how technology can be used to address global warming.

A leading climate scientist testifying before the panel spent much of the two hours correcting misstatements. ...

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018...r-rocks-tumbling-ocean-causing-sea-level-rise
Not sure I can like this one, ramonmercad, but a good post never the less. Yea, white cliffs of dover are causing the issue.

Not sure I can like this one, ramonmercad, but a good post never the less. Yea, white cliffs of dover are causing the issue.

People in Cromer are also responsible, some of them spend all day throwing stones into the sea.

Anybody have a view on this? This man is saying that levels of UV from the Sun are the highest they've ever been, and it's been leading to some strange events. Maybe we are getting higher levels of sunlight and this is what's causing climate change? From my own subjective (recent) experience, the other day I got sun-tanned arms from just 3 hours of driving. That's never happened to me before.

I don't know whether UV levels at the earth's surface are 'the highest they've ever been' (though I seriously doubt it).

It is true, however, that UV levels have risen over the last four decades, as attested in this 2010 NASA news release quoted below. However, as of 2010 it was claimed the UV levels had stabilized sometime around the mid-1990's.

UV Exposure Has Increased Over the Last 30 Years, but Stabilized Since the Mid-1990s

NASA scientists analyzing 30 years of satellite data have found that the amount of ultraviolet (UV) radiation reaching Earth's surface has increased markedly over the last three decades. Most of the increase has occurred in the mid-and-high latitudes, and there's been little or no increase in tropical regions.

The new analysis shows, for example, that at one line of latitude — 32.5 degrees — a line that runs through central Texas in the northern hemisphere and the country of Uruguay in the southern hemisphere, 305 nanometer UV levels have gone up by some 6 percent on average since 1979.

The primary culprit: decreasing levels of stratospheric ozone, a colorless gas that acts as Earth’s natural sunscreen by shielding the surface from damaging UV radiation.

The finding reinforces previous observations that show UV levels are stabilizing after countries began signing an international treaty that limited the emissions of ozone-depleting gases in 1987. The study also shows that increased cloudiness in the southern hemisphere over the 30-year period has impacted UV.

Jay Herman, a scientist at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md., stitched together data from several earth observing satellites — including NASA's Aura satellite, NOAA weather satellites, and commercial satellites — to draw his conclusions. The results were published in the Journal of Geophysical Research in February.

"Overall, we're still not where we'd like to be with ozone, but we're on the right track," said Jay Herman. "We do still see an increase in UV on a 30-year timescale, but it's moderate, it could have been worse, and it appears to have leveled off."

In the tropics, the increase has been minimal, but in the mid-latitudes it has been more obvious. During the summer, for example, UV has increased by more than 20 percent in Patagonia and the southern portions of South America. It has risen by nearly 10 percent in Buenos Aires, a city that's about the same distance from the equator as Little Rock, Ark. At Washington, D.C.'s latitude — about 35 degrees north — UV has increased by about 9 percent since 1979. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.nasa.gov/topics/solarsystem/features/uv-exposure.html

I keep redirecting everybody who's getting curious to geoengineeringwatch.org
sometimes people ask me: hey mister, do you know where all this excess warmth is coming from? and I tell them it came straight from the exhaust of their car and I pull a diabolical grin on them! surely, 'they don't like it, when I decide to mic it' (chuck d/public enemy/prophets of rage)

right now, all the water in the world can't cool the biosphere sufficiently, the seas can not take any extra kilojoule, so the northpole is melting and this process realeases even more greenhouse-gases from the permafrost, so my lucky guess is that next summer will be even worse (press F1=help)

do you know where all this excess warmth is coming from?
Every bit of electricity we use generates excess heat as losses and then the electricity also turns to heat. Fossil fuel uses also suffers energy loss as heat. I suspect Co2 is a proxy measure for "Loads of excess heat being pumped into the system" and the actual solution is "Everyone has to make sacrifices and use a sh1tload less power, however it's generated".

Harder idea to sell though.

..some scientist in some video also spoke about the idea that after the sea-level rising from the arctic collapse, lots of nuclear power-plants would meltdown unattended, because they would be under water, by then..

Why so ?

Surely any plant at such risk will be shut down long before this could happen. The sea level isn't going to rise ten Metre overnight.

INT21

Goes back a long way; the arrogance I mean.

'yet even the dull foreigner' ....etc

And I take it that the breezes he is talking about are the hurricanes that are increasing in strength every year due to warmer oceans and wrecking havoc.

But it is an interesting article all the same.

INT21

Every bit of electricity we use generates excess heat as losses and then the electricity also turns to heat. Fossil fuel uses also suffers energy loss as heat. I suspect Co2 is a proxy measure for "Loads of excess heat being pumped into the system" and the actual solution is "Everyone has to make sacrifices and use a sh1tload less power, however it's generated".

Harder idea to sell though.

well, because the biosphere will entirely collapse this week, I don't think it will matter much if we quit using energy in time, that is what 'the previous generation' should have done, but they started acknowledging their trouble too late, because they would somehow have difficulty admitting their political group or religious system wasn't flawless (cold war). today I am so sick of battling my way through the g.d. crap some spoiled, corrupt and arrogant generation of g.d. capitalists has left for my generation and the future of all ANIMALS, INSECTS and PLANTS on the planet that I went on a rampage to the neighbouring village (just an hour ago), ranting, yelling and cursing untill I got the attention of some cats, plus also the g.d. almighty showed up in my heart-chakra as usual when I get angry, trying to 'provide' peace&quiet (tranquility) for me personally, but I to him I said I will rather go to hell in the here-after (hades/voivod/hell) and I cursed again in yiddish (yelling 'YAHWEH' at a tactical moment) and that worked! no matter my chances of survival, no matter my g.d. chances of heaven here-after (probably zero anyway) the condition of the woods, the trees and the plants out here locally called me for only one goal today: WAR (and God damn that AND god damn God for letting humanity create that condition on earth this&next summer). I am so fekking angry I'm starting to think about uploading a new track to Thors' death&metal-thread, phew!)

Last edited:
..some scientist in some video also spoke about the idea that after the sea-level rising from the arctic collapse, lots of nuclear power-plants would meltdown unattended, because they would be under water, by then..

Why so ?

Surely any plant at such risk will be shut down long before this could happen. The sea level isn't going to rise ten Metre overnight.

INT21
Yeah...you'll note that a lot of the UK nuclear power stations are slap bang on the seashore...'just in case' they need a lot of water in a hurry, a cynic might think.

...the Great Orange One (who is shredding regulations so his miner buddies, mostly his base, can make a buck or two) that they will soon be dead.
I understand he is also weakening the auto emission regulations. California will collectively damn his soul for that.

The Earth will still keep on coming out of the last Ice Age. The climate will keep on changing, as it always has.

Twump
(Waaah!) has nothing to do with it.

maximus otter

The Earth will still keep on coming out of the last Ice Age. The climate will keep on changing, as it always has.

Twump
(Waaah!) has nothing to do with it.

maximus otter

Just saw a film about the last Ice Age: Alpha. Good stuff, lots of hunting and survival in extremity. Oh, a wolf is also domesticated. Review to follow.

Maximus otter.

..Twump (Waaah!) has nothing to do with it...

Nothing to do with the de-regulations he introduces ? Regulations that were put in place to help curtail, the excesses ?

We have regulations to make dog owners remove the shit their pets dump on the ground. If some person in authority decides that this is against the owners interests (messy process) and cancels the regulation, is he/she not responsible for the resultant crap covered landscape ?

Your logic escapes me.

INT21

Back