• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Good Posting Practices

I have a problem when I hear (or read) something that - from my experience - indicates that someone is having a real mental health issue, yet they are choosing to believe that it is supernatural or paranormal. A huge part of me wants to wade in and ask them if they aware that their mental health may be heading off track. This doesn't happen so much on here, but on other fora I've been on, where someone is clearly struggling and trying to make sense of what is happening to them by means of Supernatural Events. It can be very difficult not to cause offence in those cases.

It's like any community I guess - in the virtual or the real world - there has to be some boundaries and guidance on acceptable behavior otherwise things would eventually descend into chaos and bitter rivalry, or it would become a cliquey club where only those with the same views feel comfortable posting. The forum moderators have the difficult task of striking the right balance between allowing freedom of speech and the expression of diverse viewpoints, while maintaining the general good atmosphere and dynamic momentum. They seem to be fair but firm so I don't think there's any risk of the forum ever becoming a dull anodyne place, fortunately.

I do wonder why forum members take offence at some posts. Ignore the post/poster or simply don't read - it's not difficult at all. The need to spit dummies out when people have enjoyed the forum for some time or are new actually defeats me, and I suspect that reasons given are simply to "have a go" at the moderators. Indeed why contact a moderator at all why not simply stop posting? We're adults on here and as I've said before I hope the forum doesn't descend into one of those where no dissention is allowed and only nicey nicey posts are welcome. That's not what forums should be about. I could go on but I've edited this post so as not to bore readers to death. Long may FT forum continue.

You've skipped a lot of detail.

The poster contacted me to say goobye because we've long had a friendly relationship.

The poster went into detail only when I pushed for information.

The poster feels shoddily treated by people they have interacted with for many years, not 'strangers on the Internet'

Back