• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Gravestones / Tombstones / Headstones & Epitaphs Thereon

melf said:
sorry i meant as in a epithath
I'm afraid I don't know much about that, the radical non-conformists that I know who make a habit of challenging rules have refused to die, so far, or have refused normal interment. (Opting for having ashes scattered in the Grand Canyon and Lake Michigan, with no markers or memorials.) ;)

sort of:-

i tryed to f-ck with god
but god f-cked me instead

only joking honest :D

melf said:
sort of:-
i tryed to f-ck with god
but god f-cked me instead
only joking honest :D
Something like that, except neither of these (ahem) individuals would have admitted to the second line. I think they both saw themselves as riding head on at the Reaper with reins in their teeth and guns blazing.
:rolleyes: Yes, quite over the top, I know, but that's the type they were.....

ok then for mine:-

sh-t! who turned the lights out?

what do you mean i need a (return) ticket?

i asked for a early morning "jugdement day" wake up call!

i joined up for the "afterlife tours plc" and i think that ive been stiffed!

ill think of more later

I always liked, from Edinburgh:
"Erected to the memory of John McFarlane
Drowned in the Water of Leith
By a few affectionate friends"

Speaking of Edinburgh epitaphs, I once saw in Greyfriars' Churchyard a headstone, centuries old, at the bottom of which there was a modern addition saying "All passion spent" and a recent(ish) date. Can anyone tell me what it means?

"All Passion Spent" is a novel by Vita Sackville-West, in which a young woman who dreams of being an artist marries a statesman, has six kids, and eventually when widowed as an old woman sells the family home and re-discovers herself. It's an early feminist story, basically, overall theme (IIRC) being that no matter what responsibilities or duties you may have, they can never ultimately subsume who you are as a person, and that it's OK to have dreams and ambitions that are centred on yourself.

"All passion spent" is a tag from Milton: the last line of Samson
Agonistes. The context is that God's wisdom is inscrutable and that
the citizens of Gaza disperse sadder and wiser.

There is more than a suggestion of the post-coital in Milton's phrase
which time has rendered slightly more respectable. I'm not sure
quite how wry Vita was being. :p

Blues, the 'children's corner' in our local cemetery is called the Petal Garden and is always decorated just as you saw in yours.

I've been there once, just from curiosity, and I'm afraid I came away in tears! Can't bear the thought of little children dying. :(

There have been several incidents here recently of theft from graves, including children's. Flowers, toys and little statues have gone missing, much to the families' dismay, and there have been front-page newspaper pictures of broken-hearted parents holding up photos of their dead children.

Nicking from a child's grave seems almost incredibly heartless to me.

We also have a woodland area in the cemy to attract wildlife. The place is overrun with squirrels anyway- daren't even walk my dogs past the railings outside! One day I was driving past slowly and Big Soft Dog saw a squirrel and jumped out of the window to chase it.

I also put dog biscuits on my friend's grave there to attract squirrels, after he'd apparently visited me after his death. But that's another story.

No gravestone or marker for me please. I want a woodland burial or I quite like the sound of 'human composting', I believe it's scandinavian in origin and involves freezing and shattering of the body then burial in a corn starch box some 12"-18" deep with a tree or shrub being planted over you so the roots can get to you.
I wouldn't be there anymore. Either death is the end, or I'll have no use for this flesh once I go on to the next phase. I don't want money being wasted on a headstone or an expensive casket/coffin, not even flowers. The best memorial is in people's memories.

re "All passion spent"-
Stu and James, thanks for the info. but I'm still puzzled as to why someone would have it put on a gravestone (with a specific date) hundreds of years after the occupant had died. It wasn't graffiti, it was a proper, professionally done inscription. I wish I'd taken a note of it at at the time. And, when I think of it, it would probably have involved a bit of red tape to do it in a historic cemetery like Greyfriars'. It actually gave me quite a chill when I first saw it.

freezing and shattering of the body
- you could have asked Saddam's sons to put you through the shredder. :cross eye

This is a wee bit of the thread.
On real radio Robin gallaway does awind up.he phoned some paper in Aberdeen to put in a death notice.The lady told him to go ahead.He said Peter Reid from Peterheid is deid.The lady said Idont know if they will accept that but I will certainly try is there anything else?Aye volvo for sale.She hung up.I was crying with laughter.He said he hoped he had not offended anyone and asked listeners not to phone in to complain as it was onlly a laugh.A guy phoned up and Robin sayed dont tell me your complaining.Naw i just want to know what type of volvo it is.
Pure class wish i had taped it:D

Some firends of mine live in Alton, Hampshire. They took me to see the grave of Fanny Adams, who was brutally murdered as a little girl. The good folks of Alton paid for the stone to be provided. I have a picture of her parents somewhere too. Also in the same grave yard is a large slab, locally called the rain stone. If one stands on it it rains the following day (like you'd notice!) Another top cemetary to visit is Brookwood, they used to run a necrapolitan service down from London, there are graves from many religions plus Masonic graves and a military grave yard (I believe appeared in the OmenII as........bugger, can't remember the US military graveyard name)
On the subject of Fanny, I was told the expression, sweet Fanny Adams (sweet FA) comes from the navy of the time. When the where given thin broth, they'd lament "what's in this, sweet Fanny Adams?" So possibly not such a prurient expression.

escargot said:
Blues, the 'children's corner' in our local cemetery is called the Petal Garden and is always decorated just as you saw in yours.

I've been there once, just from curiosity, and I'm afraid I came away in tears! Can't bear the thought of little children dying. :(

There have been several incidents here recently of theft from graves, including children's. Flowers, toys and little statues have gone missing, much to the families' dismay, and there have been front-page newspaper pictures of broken-hearted parents holding up photos of their dead children.

Nicking from a child's grave seems almost incredibly heartless to me.

We also have a woodland area in the cemy to attract wildlife. The place is overrun with squirrels anyway- daren't even walk my dogs past the railings outside! One day I was driving past slowly and Big Soft Dog saw a squirrel and jumped out of the window to chase it.

I also put dog biscuits on my friend's grave there to attract squirrels, after he'd apparently visited me after his death. But that's another story.

Could you tell the story of your friends visit escargot?

Why we buried our mom in a pet cemetery
Never argue with your mother, even if she isn't there to answer back.

That's the lesson my brother Glen and I learned in making the final arrangements for Jean Birkenstein Washington, who passed away in Chicago on June 28.

With credentials as a teacher, artist, mathematician and civil rights activist, she lived a full life beyond her 77 years, participating in endless causes for the betterment of humankind.

There were also those for plant- and animal-kind, which, though she loved many people, she generally cared for a bit more than humans.

Glen reminded me of that when we gathered in Chicago.

"You know what she wanted, don't you?" he asked.

"Uh-huh," I said. "But you can't do that. It's gotta be against the law!"

That desire, which she had brought up more than once, was to be buried in a pet cemetery--a request we had responded to by rolling our eyes and promising to talk about later. We never did.

But we did want to respect her wishes. So knowing she was not opposed to cremation, we decided we could do so and scatter her ashes in a pet cemetery.

Or sneak them in, if necessary.

Even better, Glen suggested, was for him to take some on his upcoming business trip to Puerto Rico to cast into the rain forest, another concern of hers.

I offered to scatter a portion in Vermont, which she also loved, and on Chicago's Goose Island, an industrial area she thought would be better used as a wildlife refuge.

Inspired, we agreed, and I headed back to Boston briefly while Glen's wife, Yvonne, finalized the cremation.

But just as I approached the gate at O'Hare, a realization came to me. I called Glen.

"Hey, we never called a pet cemetery to find out you can't bury a human there," I said.

"I know," he said, adding that he and Yvonne just had the same thought.

Maybe Jean was speaking to us because a few hours later, we found out you can bury a human in a pet cemetery.

Aarrowood, in north suburban Vernon Hills, was more than accommodating. They asked us if we preferred the Jewish side (of the human area) or the pet side.

That was a no-brainer. "The pet side," we said.

(We also bought an adjacent plot on the chance our family's pet ocelot, El Gato, might be located and join her someday. Having lived 20 years, his remains in 1988 were donated to Chicago's Field Museum as a possible exhibit, but were apparently removed when their basement flooded a few years ago.)

So at Aarrowood, with a rabbi officiating, she was laid to rest in a truly beautiful service. Her neighbors, for eternity, are Smokey the cat and Tippy the dog, whose headstone was graced with flowers and a rawhide bone.

All of which proves mother really did know best--though the pet cemetery wasn't her first choice.

Her real preference was to be taken to the zoo. For the lions, specifically.

We didn't make that call.

Second burial after grave blunder
Relatives of a woman who died more than two years ago have attended a second funeral for her after she was buried in the wrong grave with a stranger.

The body of grandmother Lilly Blackburn was exhumed on Wednesday night from the grave at Ty Rhiw cemetery in Taff's Well, near Cardiff, and was reburied in the correct location on Thursday.

She died in 2001 and should have been buried in the same grave as her husband, who died in 1959. Instead, she was buried in the next grave along.

On the day of the funeral her daughter Marlene Jones raised her concern that Mrs Blackburn was being buried in the wrong grave.

Funeral directors and council officials were told and the ceremony was held up for 40 minutes while records were checked.

But the family were told that that they had made a mistake - and that Lilly Blackburn was, in fact, being buried with her husband.

They were told that they had been visiting the wrong grave for more than 40 years, and the ceremony went ahead.

Now, after two-and-a half years of campaigning, officials have confirmed that the family were right all along.

Mrs Blackburn's niece, Beryl Edwards, told BBC Radio Wales that her cousin Mrs Jones, now 70, had never been in any doubt.

"When we got to the graveside, Marlene grabbed my arm and said, 'My dad is not buried in that grave', " Mrs Edwards said.

"She had tended that grave all those years, and she was convinced she was right. It was always on our minds.

"I would go up to the cemetery and take flowers there. I knew my aunt was there, but I was convinced my uncle was not."

Unhappy with the situation, the family kept writing to Rhondda Cynon Taf council in the hope of getting the records checked.

Mrs Jones and other relatives were in no doubt that a mistake had been made, but they kept being told that everything was in order.

Then another family erected a headstone on another grave in the same section of the cemetery.

That family was told by the council that there was not a grave there - but they insisted there was, and so tests were carried out and a coffin found.

Battle won

That convinced Mrs Blackburn's relatives even more that she had not been buried with her husband, and that something was wrong with the records of the graves in the cemetery.

Mrs Edwards hopes that the second funeral will help her cousin, Mrs Jones, to leave the matter behind.

"She hasn't been able to lay her mum to rest," Mrs Edwards said.

"Maybe now she will, as she will know that her parents are together." Mrs Blackburn's case is not the only one which has been raised by bereaved relatives in the area.

A number of claims of irregularities at the same cemetery, and at two others in the area, are being investigated by the council and South Wales Police.

Rhondda Cynon Taf press officer Rob Thompson said the council had worked with the relatives to resolve the Blackburn family's "unique" situation.

"Following the recent reports of improper practice in part of its cemetery service, the council have been working very closely with the Blackburn family," he said in a statement.

"All arrangements have been carried out promptly and entirely in accordance with the family's wishes. All costs will be covered by Rhondda Cynon Taf Council.

"Rhondda Cynon Taf Council is continuing its investigation in conjunction with the South Wales Police into claims of irregularities to entries in the registers of burials in the Taf Ely area.

The cemeteries involved are Cefn y parc, Ty Rhiw and Glyntaff."

Courtesy of The Faber Book of Comic Verse...

"ON WILL SMITH
Here lies Will Smith - and, what's somethin rarish,
He was born, bred, and hanged, all in the same parish"

"AT GREAT TORRINGTON, DEVON
Here lies a man who was killed by lightning;
He died when his prospects seemed to be brightening
He might have cut a flash in this world of trouble,
But the flash cut him, and he lies in the stubble."

"AT ABERDEEN
Here lie I, Martin Elginbrodde:
Have mercy o' my soul, Lord God,
As I wad do, were I Lord God,
And ye were Martin Elginbrodde"

"AT HADLEIGH, SUFFOLK
To free me from domestic strife
Death called at my house, but he spake with my wife,
Susan, wife of David Pattison, lies here,
Stop, Reader, and if not in a hurry, shed a tear."

"AT LEEDS
Here lies my wife,
Here lies she;
Hallelujah!
Hallelujee!"

;)

From Radio 4's Open Country programme website

Deep under Holy Trinity Church at Rothwell lies the Crypt or Charnel House. Local legend suggests its existence was only discovered when a gravedigger fell through the floor many years ago. It’s said that the shock of landing in a darkened mass of human bones was too much for the unfortunate employee who subsequently lost his mind. Since then the contents of the crypt which is thought to date back to the thirteenth century, have been arranged into neat piles of skulls and thigh bones offering an interesting if macabre spectacle to sightseers.

Also mentioned on the programme was the belief that all that was needed for the Resurrection was your skull and femurs, giving rise to one of the pirate flags, the 'skull and crossbones'.

Amazing the stuff they have on Radio 4 sometimes.

Life's a bitch, and then you die...

..and then they bury you in the wrong grave! :rolleyes:

Tam said:
Roast grief
Story I read in the Daily Record today.Tad insensitive or what
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk

ROAST GRIEF Sep 20 2003

Fury over pub sign at crematorium

By Gordon Smart

FAMILIES are protesting over a bar advertising food ``roasted to perfection'' next to a crematorium.

The pub makes the claim on a huge banner across the entrance to its car park, directly opposite the crem.

But some residents say the advert, at the Balmwell pub in Mortonhall, Edinburgh, is tasteless and could cause more grief to bereaved families.

One resident said: ``It's distasteful, tasteless, upsetting and should be torn down immediately.''....

I'm afraid I don't think this is the least insensitive, yes, it's very sad that you've lost someone, but the rest of the world goes on.

You get the same thing the people whinging that TV shows/books or films upset them because of some imagined similarity to their real life situation.

Why did they watch/read it then? Or if it was starting to move into territory they didn't like stop watching or reading?

Some English people seem to spend their entire lives just hanging around waiting to be offended. :hmph:

Timble said:
I'm afraid I don't think this is the least insensitive, yes, it's very sad that you've lost someone, but the rest of the world goes on.

You get the same thing the people whinging that TV shows/books or films upset them because of some imagined similarity to their real life situation.

Why did they watch/read it then? Or if it was starting to move into territory they didn't like stop watching or reading?

Picture the scene Timble
The cremation over the funeral party leave the morton hall chapel to attend the wake at Balmwell pub.
They pass under a banner With the words roasted to perfection.
Wee bit like The league of gentlemen dont you think?
:rolleyes:

In my home town, an old folks' home opened opposite the cemetery/crematorium and was named 'Ashlands'. :rolleyes:

Lots of complaints- local newspaper coverage- it all died down when the home was inevitably taken over by a megachain and renamed.

For some reason this thread has reminded me of a joke Emo Phillips does 'about my ex-wife, who shall remain nameless...

...if I'm ever allowed near her gravestone with a sandblaster'

In my home town, an old folks' home opened opposite the cemetery/crematorium and was named 'Ashlands'.

In the town that I grew up in, a funeral home was refurbished and renamed "Duggans." I always thought that was odd.

Mr Claw, the Fanny Adams murder is right now being featured on TV. What a beautiful area it happened in!
Her gravestone is kept in good repair by locals and usually has fresh flowers. Not bad after nearly 140 years. :(

Mr Claw, the Fanny Adams murder is right now being featured on TV. What a beautiful area it happened in!
Her gravestone is kept in good repair by locals and usually has fresh flowers. Not bad after nearly 140 years. :(
[/QUOTE]

So do they know who leaves the flowers, or is it like poor old Kitty Jay, on the road between Haytor and Houndtor, whose permanent floral tribute is left anonymously and mysteriously?

Back