• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Graveyards / Cemeteries

Mr Higgings regularly visits the rural cemetery where his dad Morris and mum Irene are buried in the same plot.
The 64 year-old even bought a bench so he could sit at the picturesque spot in the village of Waters Upton and look out over the rolling Shropshire hills.
But Bill was shocked when he visited his parents' joint grave before Christmas and saw seven houses being built next to the cemetery at Saint Michael's church.

He visits regularly but not frequently or he'd have spotted signs of upcoming building work long before the first brick was laid. 'BUILDING FOR SALE' and 'SOLD' signs would have gone up for a start.

Many yeas ago I was involved in the moving of bodies from a graveyard that
was being built over, any family that could be traced were given the option
of reburial but many are still there under new buildings, and a small gardens,
doubt if many know what lies under there feet.

Adjacent to my family home (where I grew up ... ) in East Tennessee is a historic graveyard with burials dating back circa two centuries. In the 1970's / 1980's, the cemetery association removed the headstones (some of which were simply upright un-carved stones) to perform some major landscaping / tree removals / etc.

After the work was completed, they were shocked to learn their plot maps and other documentation didn't account for all the headstones they had. In addition, there were apparently discrepancies among the maps / documents as to which plots had been used and who was buried where.

As a result, there are markers / stones for which no grave location is documented, and graves for which there's no known stone / marker.

On a recent visit, I asked the current caretaker / association manager if there were still unused plots in the cemetery. He sheepishly admitted he / they weren't really sure anymore. As a precaution, they've decided to not offer new plots and only allow transfers of known plots from the most modern (mid to late 20th century) plot maps.

Finding the plot: England's tombstone tourists
By Bethan Bell BBC News
7 May 2017

Visiting a graveyard for enjoyment is not everyone's cup of tea. But tombstone tourists - or "taphophiles" - are increasingly to be found wandering through cemeteries, examining headstones, and generally enjoying the sombre atmosphere. What is the appeal?

Historians, genealogists, grave-rubbers and fans of the macabre all have their reasons for sloping round burial grounds - but there is also a tourist market for those wanting more than a traditional sightseeing trip.

Sheldon Goodman, grave enthusiast and co-founder of the Cemetery Club, takes groups of interested people through various burial grounds in London, including Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park, Brompton Cemetery, and Highgate.
He says one of the reasons the pastime is increasing in popularity is the number of celebrity deaths over the past few years:
"Highgate, the best-known London cemetery, is due to be receiving the remains of George Michael," he says.
"Events like that really increase awareness and the value of what I like to call 'libraries of the dead'."

Although Michael's plot is in a private area of Highgate closed off to tourists, the cemetery contains many famous graves which can be visited - ranging from those of political philosopher Karl Marx to television prankster Jeremy Beadle.

It also contains some of the finest funerary architecture in the country, says the Friends of Highgate Cemetery Trust, which has looked after and maintained the site since 1975.

The Egyptian Avenue, Circle of Lebanon and the Terrace Catacomb, along with more than 70 other monuments, have been listed by English Heritage, while the cemetery itself is categorised as a Grade I-listed park, complete with landscaping and exotic formal planting.

But it's not just the famous cemeteries that capture the imagination of taphophiles.
Nicola Carpenter from Maidenhead has been fascinated by graveyards since she was aged about eight, when she and other local children would play in the village cemetery. She continues to visit cemeteries a couple of times a month and writes a blog called Beneath Thy Feet.

"I can remember back then reading the names on the headstones and wondering who these people were and what sort of lives they had lived," she says.
"I visit graveyards to satisfy my curiosity as to who these people were that came before me and how they lived in and shaped the town I live in now. My local Victorian cemetery is one I visit often and is where I have found some of the most interesting life stories, and some influential and famous people are buried there.

Ms Carpenter says through her wanderings she has "discovered many fascinating stories - of love and friendship, of betrayal and revenge, murder and suicide.

"Some gravestones have telling inscriptions and epitaphs. For example, a gravestone in Bisham, Berkshire reads, 'In Loving Memory of Vivian Charlotte, wife of David Lewis. Born 22 April 1923 and died in her racing car at Brighton Speed Trials 14 September 1963'.

etc...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39480595

Sardonic epitaphs make this Romanian graveyard a tourist attraction ...

ROMANIA'S MERRY CEMETERY OFFERS VISITORS DARK HUMOR
Death isn't always tragic, at least not in this Romanian cemetery, where the dead beguile visitors with tales of their lives.

The Merry Cemetery in the northwestern village of Sapanta is a collection of more than 1,000 elaborate wooden Orthodox crosses etched with colorful epitaphs and childlike drawings.

There are few secrets in this small community and whatever flaws someone had when they were alive are turned into "grave art" when they die.

This darkly humorous and matter-of-fact approach, rooted in the traditional peasant culture of the region, intrigues visitors.

Despite its remote location some 600 kilometers (360 miles) northwest of the Romanian capital, Bucharest, it's one of the country's top tourist attractions. ...

One of the drawings features a young man and a subway carriage - the man was run over by a train. His epitaph reads: "I enjoyed life so much, I went to western Europe; may it be cursed along with the Paris metro. I used to be a gambler, and I died in 2001 when I was 16 years old."

Some of the crosses resemble modern-day morality tales.

One epitaph for a truck driver warns the living about the perils of working too hard. "I used to work to be wealthy and I had to leave everything behind. I wish people would stop and read this on my cross," it reads. "Here's what happened: the truck rolled over and the dirt smothered me. I died in Barcelona in 2002 when I was 42 years old." ...

While some crosses are amusing, others are simply sad.

One shows a three-year-old being run over by a car, and another tells the story of a 38-year-old man who had a "merciless death" that snatched him from his wife and two daughters. ...

SOURCE: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2017-09-20-06-44-26

Reminds me of the supernatural story by, I think, le Fanu where the corpses rise up up one night and re-engrave their tombstones with the truth about their lives.

A load of lying, deceitful, thieving, wife-beating beggars they were too.

This is an old video, so it may have already been posted. Beware, the commentary of the dudes filming the action uses plenty of blue language

This is a really scary (or funny) video of a creepy ghost girl caught on tape walking in the cemetery...

The commentary is just classic, not your typical narration.

Long time ago Oprah Winfrey has an open discussion about ghosts. At some point she stopped and said, "Why ain't there no black ghosts? Is this a white thing?" :D

The commentary is just classic, not your typical narration.

Long time ago Oprah Winfrey has an open discussion about ghosts. At some point she stopped and said, "Why ain't there no black ghosts? Is this a white thing?" :D
Nobody can see the black ghosts in the dark.

In the Philippines, the Igorot people practice an ancient burial ritual where the elderly carve their own coffins and the dead are hung off the side of a cliff.

In a ritual believed to date back 2,000 years, the Igorot people bury their dead in hand-carved coffins that are tied or nailed to the side of a cliff and suspended high above the ground below. This gravity-defying graveyard is believed to bring the departed closer to their ancestral spirits.

http://www.bbc.com/travel/gallery/20180405-the-filipino-tribe-that-hangs-its-dead-from-cliffs

Hmmm. Where is all the earth and rubble? You'd expect the place to be littered with that if the bodies were dug up.
I'm thinking it may be that the authorities came round and removed them for some reason. Radioactivity?

Hmmm. Where is all the earth and rubble? You'd expect the place to be littered with that if the bodies were dug up.
I'm thinking it may be that the authorities came round and removed them for some reason. Radioactivity?

More likely subsidence after a heavy rain. It looks like the soil collapsed downwards - no evidence of digging (like big piles of soil).

... and the grave gave up their dead. And all were judged according to their deeds. (Revelations 20:13)

More likely subsidence after a heavy rain. It looks like the soil collapsed downwards - no evidence of digging (like big piles of soil).
Perhaps... but all of them? With the gravestones still standing?

I agree it's not Thailand. The one grave marker I can read displays Cyrillic text, so Russia would be a likely suspect.

It appears to me the visible area with the holes was submerged, most probably by a flood.

There's a clearly visible layer of mud or silt uniformaly spread across the affected graves (you can even see cracks in this overlaid deposit). It also appears to me there are graves farther away that seem to be free of this deposited over-layer.

Each of the tightly-packed graves represents a point of relatively weak soil (being fill rather than original substrate) within a cluster of such weak points.

My guess is that it's a mass subsidence event triggered by flooding, in which the looser soil within individual graves rendered them vulnerable to becoming individual sinkholes.

Excellent explanation, EG!

I visited the graveyard on the Isle of Skye that contains the memorial to Flora MacDonald, but found the tomb slab for Angus Martin much more interesting. He was so taken with the life-size marker on one of his forays that he .. took it.

Angus Martin_1525.jpg Angus Martin_1528.jpg

We had something sort of similar about 40 years back, the local sewage works were getting snotty about
the number of human skulls and other bits being found in the screens and after a bit of investigating it
was found that a big sewer that ran under part of a very large cemetery had collapsed, though there were no holes
to see there were depressions were the graves were leaving the monuments still in most cases standing.
After much whingeing and wailing over cost it was decided to take my suggestion that was at first rejected
to build a new sewer under a handy perimeter track once they realised cost of exhumation's to repair the
old one with no guarantee it would be a one off fix.

Walking back from a seminar today I got lost (!?) - 40 minute detour through Somers Town (Camden, London), leading to Old St Pancras Church and the Hardy Tree. In the 1860's the Midlands Railway was being built over part of the St. Pancras churchyard. A young Thomas Hardy (the Novelist) helped in the exhumation of human remains and the dismantling of tombs around 1865. The headstones were placed under an Ash tree (which is now called the Hardy tree) and there they remain.

Hardy_tree 01.jpg Hardy_tree.jpg

In one Cemetery I had to visit there was a large headstone to someone killed in a motorcycle
crash in 1907, I always wounder what append there.

In one Cemetery I had to visit there was a large headstone to someone killed in a motorcycle
crash in 1907, I always wounder what append there.

It'd be mentioned in the local newspapers so a search of their archives would turn it up. I've done that, locally to me of course, and it's a fascinating way to spend a day. You have to be there as it's probably not available online so it's probably too much effort for a whim!

Ours are on microfiche so you can whip through them to the right date. I was looking for mention of a family member but soon found much more interesting incidents and local photographs, including of course all the murders, fires and suicides. It all got morbid.

Back in the day there seemed to be a lot of suicides by gassing. In one particularly terrible tragedy a young married couple gassed themselves together in a room they rented in a terraced house. I know the street but had never heard about it before. I wonder if the latest owners of the house know?

We have a new library now so I may pop over next time I'm off and have another look.

I did do that with another grave find, there were 8 or 9 headstones all together and exactly the same,
the deaths were due to a fire in a work I suppose we would now call it a sweat shop, all the doors were
crept locked to stop workers sneaking out with no fire escapes in those days, fire broke out and these
graves were the mostly if not all women that died as a result.

Back