• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Great Acts Of Stupidity

DD: That was some impressive dimness - they even gave her a chance to take her foot out of her mouth but no..........

And stupidity never sleeps so onwards:

Cops: Man chokes boy over game

By Norman Miller / News Staff Writer
Tuesday, January 20, 2004

FRAMINGHAM -- An argument over who was going to be first to play a videogame led a 24-year-old Framingham man to try to strangle a 6-year-old boy on Sunday, according to police.

Police arrested David Cardona, 24, of 25 Hilton St., and he was held yesterday at the police station on ,000 bail.

He is charged with attempted murder, assault and battery on a child under 14, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon and simple assault and battery, police said.

Cardona was visiting a neighbor on Sunday with some other adults and children invited to watch the New England Patriots-Indianapolis Colts AFC championship football game. Cardona was drinking beer during the game, the neighbor's boyfriend said.

The neighbor, who did not want to be named, said she was shocked when she found Cardona holding the boy high up against the wall by his throat a little after 6:30 p.m.

"I've known this guy for months now, and he's really a gentle guy," said the woman. "I heard a commotion, and I was going to go up and tell the kids to cut it out. I didn't even see (the child). All I saw was Dave's back, and then I saw (the child's) red face and David holding him up by his neck."

The woman said she grabbed Cardona, who she described as a large man, and told him to get out of the house. She said Cardona told her he was defending himself because the youngster had hit him and broken his glasses.

"He was out the door, and he said, 'You caught me at the wrong time,'" said the woman. "He was supposed to watch my son today. I was horrified. I was going to leave my son with him. What if I didn't see what happened?"

During the game, Cardona was drinking beer, according to the woman's boyfriend, who said it was not an excessive amount -- about five beers.

Framingham Police Lt. Lou Griffith said police went to a Hilton Street apartment after the reported assault. He said Cardona was arrested at 6:48 p.m. Sunday.

After the football game, Cardona went upstairs with the woman's 8-year-old son and the 6-year-old alleged victim to play "Twisted Metal 4." The videogame allows players to operate one vehicle while battling and trying to destroy other vehicles.

"An argument broke out over one of the video controllers, and he grabbed the kid by the throat," said Griffith. "He grabbed him by the throat and pushed him against the wall."

The neighbor's boyfriend said the child was defenseless.

"It would be like the Hulk grabbing me around the throat," he said.

Despite the attack, the 6-year-old, whom the woman said is the son of another friend, was not seriously injured.

"He was pretty shaken up, but he got over it pretty quick," said the woman. "I think I was more shaken up than he was. He didn't go to the hospital. He had red marks around his neck, but they disappeared after about 15 minutes."

The woman said she never had a problem with Cardona. She said he has always been polite, and never picked on her or her boyfriend's child, who is also 8 years old but was not involved in the incident. He would even bring videogames over to play with the kids.

Cardona was scheduled to be arraigned this morning in Framingham District Court.

When arrested, police also said they found Cardona had an outstanding warrant from Worcester District Court, charging him with operating a vehicle with a suspended license, operating an uninsured vehicle, operating an unregistered vehicle, speeding and a license plate violation.

Norman Miller can be reached at 508-626-3823 or at [email protected].

http://www.milforddailynews.com/news/local_regional/fram_cardona01202004.htm

Dark Detective said:
British woman faces jail over airport 'bomb' joke

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,1-970588,00.html

following that

Another Bomb Threat
LONDON (Reuters) - A woman has been arrested at Newcastle airport after she told counter staff she had a bomb in her luggage, police say.

The unnamed woman was booked on an EasyJet flight, but was not allowed to check in because she was late, a spokesman for Northumbria Police said.

"At around 1.30 p.m. a 48-year-old woman...arrived at the EasyJet check-in intending to board a flight to Paris," the spokesman said. "Because she arrived late she was not allowed to check in. She then told staff she had had a bomb in her luggage

:eek!!!!: You would have thought theyd have learned following what happened to the last person to try that.:rolleyes:

"You would have thought theyd have learned following what happened to the last person to try that"

Why are security staff so stupid and lacking in humour - Are they afraid that all the real terrorists mentioning bombs in their luggage will be missed?

Or do they want to give the impression of being mindless machines or vindictive petty officials?

Wembley said:
"You would have thought theyd have learned following what happened to the last person to try that"

Why are security staff so stupid and lacking in humour - Are they afraid that all the real terrorists mentioning bombs in their luggage will be missed?

Or do they want to give the impression of being mindless machines or vindictive petty officials?

No, they just want people to stop being bloody stupid.

"Cardona told her he was defending himself because the youngster had hit him and broken his glasses."

Now there's a brave soul. What's a six year old weigh? Maybe three stone/40lbs?

The urge to joke about having a bomb in you luggage must be common and strong, judging by the signs posted in the security line at the San Antonio airport, something along the lines of:

"Terrorism is not funny. If you tell us you have a bomb, gun, or any sort of weapon, we will believe you and act accordingly."

They'd hardly bother to make such signs if they didn't have a recurring problem with it. The thing is, you've got to take these things seriously, because think how bad you, as a security person, would feel if, say, someone in an abnormal state of mind, feeling compelled to obey the voices in his head but not wanting to do so, warned you, and you thought it was a joke, and somebody died.

"No, they just want people to stop being bloody stupid."

Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain, as someone once said.

People at airports are frequently highly stressed by the experience, not helped by the security paranoia. Humour is our usual way of relieving the tension. It would be better if the security people could find a more human way of dealing with it (like making perpetrators wear an "I've got a bomb" t-shirt, for example...)

Re: British woman faces jail over airport 'bomb' joke

And I thought I had Foot-in-mouth Syndrome....

Bomb joke student spared jail

A British student who was arrested at an American airport after joking she had a bomb in her bag, should be able to fly home on Friday subject to legal formalities.

Samantha Marson, 21, seems likely to be spared a custodial sentence after agreeing to donate
Bomb joke student spared jail

A British student who was arrested at an American airport after joking she had a bomb in her bag, should be able to fly home on Friday subject to legal formalities.

Samantha Marson, 21, seems likely to be spared a custodial sentence after agreeing to donate $1,000 to the families of the victims of the September 11 attacks.

Her lawyer, Oscar Sanchez, made the plea bargain on her behalf in Miami, and said his client would also apologise for her actions.

Miss Marson still has to appear in court on Friday to hear whether the case will be formally dismissed.

"I still have a couple of things to do before I know whether I'm free or not"
Samantha Marson

She is charged with making a false bomb report, for which the maximum penalty is 15 years in prison.

The student, originally from Bridgnorth, Shropshire, spent four nights in a Miami jail after making the joke during a baggage check at the city's airport.

Speaking after Wednesday's hearing, Miss Marson said she just wanted to go home.

"I am not free yet. I still have a couple of things to do before I know whether I'm free or not. This is not the end yet."

She added: "Of course I'm very sorry for what I did.

Back to court

"At the moment I'm just happy that my father is here with me supporting me and I'm just dreaming to come back home to see my mother."

Mr Sanchez explained the legal situation to LBC radio on Wednesday night.

He said: "After we negotiated with the prosecutor they decided to do a programme called a pre-trial diversion.

"If they are sensitive and somebody tells a stupid joke then you cannot blame them"
Samantha Marson's father Jim

"We have to go to another programme and basically meet certain specific conditions that the prosecutor wants us to meet.

"Once we meet those conditions this case is put back on the calendar and then we have to go back to court, and there's a possibility that the state attorney will recommend that the case is dismissed."

Mr Sanchez said his client would be free to leave the US immediately if the case is dismissed by the judge on Friday.

Miss Marson's father Jim told the BBC he did not blame the US authorities for taking such a firm stance on the issue.

'Three bombs'

He said: "I think America is a country which, after 9/11, you have a lot of bomb threats and things like that.

"And if they are sensitive and somebody tells a stupid joke then you cannot blame them."

Miss Marson was about to board a British Airways flight to London on 17 January when she told an official: "Hey, be careful, I have three bombs in here."

Asked to repeat herself, she repeated the same statement twice and was arrested.

Miss Marson was trying to return to the UK to renew her visa when she made the joke.
,000 to the families of the victims of the September 11 attacks.

Her lawyer, Oscar Sanchez, made the plea bargain on her behalf in Miami, and said his client would also apologise for her actions.

Miss Marson still has to appear in court on Friday to hear whether the case will be formally dismissed.

"I still have a couple of things to do before I know whether I'm free or not"
Samantha Marson

She is charged with making a false bomb report, for which the maximum penalty is 15 years in prison.

The student, originally from Bridgnorth, Shropshire, spent four nights in a Miami jail after making the joke during a baggage check at the city's airport.

Speaking after Wednesday's hearing, Miss Marson said she just wanted to go home.

"I am not free yet. I still have a couple of things to do before I know whether I'm free or not. This is not the end yet."

She added: "Of course I'm very sorry for what I did.

Back to court

"At the moment I'm just happy that my father is here with me supporting me and I'm just dreaming to come back home to see my mother."

Mr Sanchez explained the legal situation to LBC radio on Wednesday night.

He said: "After we negotiated with the prosecutor they decided to do a programme called a pre-trial diversion.

"If they are sensitive and somebody tells a stupid joke then you cannot blame them"
Samantha Marson's father Jim

"We have to go to another programme and basically meet certain specific conditions that the prosecutor wants us to meet.

"Once we meet those conditions this case is put back on the calendar and then we have to go back to court, and there's a possibility that the state attorney will recommend that the case is dismissed."

Mr Sanchez said his client would be free to leave the US immediately if the case is dismissed by the judge on Friday.

Miss Marson's father Jim told the BBC he did not blame the US authorities for taking such a firm stance on the issue.

'Three bombs'

He said: "I think America is a country which, after 9/11, you have a lot of bomb threats and things like that.

"And if they are sensitive and somebody tells a stupid joke then you cannot blame them."

Miss Marson was about to board a British Airways flight to London on 17 January when she told an official: "Hey, be careful, I have three bombs in here."

Asked to repeat herself, she repeated the same statement twice and was arrested.

Miss Marson was trying to return to the UK to renew her visa when she made the joke.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/shropshire/3457967.stm

US man fined for shipping himself

A man who shipped himself in an airline crate half-way across the United States has been fined

A man who shipped himself in an airline crate half-way across the United States has been fined $1,500 and sentenced to four months' house arrest.

A federal court in Texas, also put shipping clerk Charles McKinley, 25, on probation for a year.

In September last year, McKinley sent himself in a cargo crate from Newark airport in New Jersey to Dallas/Forth Worth in Texas, to visit his parents.

He said he had resorted to this because he had no money and was homesick.

The shipping documents said the crate contained a computer, a monitor and clothes, according to prosecutors. It was sent without insurance.

Rattled

The judge told McKinley he could have died.

"I don't like what you did. It was wrong and very stupid," he said.

"But I'm glad you are standing here this morning, rather than have met a fate much worse by the stupidity of your actions."

He was taken out when the delivery man who dropped off the crate at McKinley's parents noticed it had started to rattle.

The $1,500 is more expensive than many airlines charge for a first class ticket from New York to Dallas.
,500 and sentenced to four months' house arrest.

A federal court in Texas, also put shipping clerk Charles McKinley, 25, on probation for a year.

In September last year, McKinley sent himself in a cargo crate from Newark airport in New Jersey to Dallas/Forth Worth in Texas, to visit his parents.

The shipping documents said the crate contained a computer, a monitor and clothes, according to prosecutors. It was sent without insurance.

Rattled

"But I'm glad you are standing here this morning, rather than have met a fate much worse by the stupidity of your actions."

He was taken out when the delivery man who dropped off the crate at McKinley's parents noticed it had started to rattle.

The

A man who shipped himself in an airline crate half-way across the United States has been fined $1,500 and sentenced to four months' house arrest.

Rattled

The $1,500 is more expensive than many airlines charge for a first class ticket from New York to Dallas.
,500 is more expensive than many airlines charge for a first class ticket from New York to Dallas.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3463679.stm

Ah ha - the above is being discused in its own thread here:

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10729&highlight=Charles+McKinley

Anyway this guy got lucky but the overwhelming stupidity of his actions gets him in here:

Drunken Man Enters Zoo's Bear Compound

Feb 9, 10:46 AM (ET)

SOFIA, Bulgaria (AP) - A drunken man visiting the Sofia zoo entered the compound of a Himalayan bear and refused to leave, the zoo director said Monday.

The man survived the incident Sunday without injuries because the door to the cage that held the 330-pound female beast was stuck, zoo director Ivan Ivanov said.

The 51-year-old man jumped over the fence surrounding the outside part of the bear's compound. He sat down on a piece of lumber, taunting zoo officials and police who had rushed to the scene.

"He was drinking from a bottle of liquor and shouting to the police: 'Hey come on, have you got the guts to come over here?'" Ivanov said.

The bear, Mila, was watching the scene from behind the bars of her cage that is in the middle of the compound.

"She is not very friendly," Ivanov said. "She eats no meat, but she could have mauled and even killed him; the guy was lucky the cage door lock had got stuck."

Zoo officials entered the compound and locked the cage gate so that police could seize the intruder, who was later taken into custody pending hooliganism charges, Ivanov said.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040209/D80JQMM00.html

Emps

This doesn't quite make it on to Strange Deaths, nearly, but not quite;

Actress's breasts cut in chainsaw accident
BERLIN (Reuters) - A German actress was taken to hospital after an artist injured her breasts while trying to cut open her bra with a chainsaw during a rehearsal for a stage show, she has told a newspaper...

I find a couple of minutes fiddling, with two hands at most, tends to do the job.

Mon 16 Feb 2004

3:13pm (UK)

Experts Condemn New Craze for 'Snorting' Alcohol

By Sarah Cade, PA News

A new craze for inhaling alcohol was today attacked by medical experts as a potential danger that could cause brain damage.

Drinks including vodka and absinthe can be “snorted” into the nose or inhaled into the mouth through a tube using a new device known as an Alcohol Without Liquid (AWOL) vaporiser.

Scientists estimate that the effects of the alcohol can be felt much quicker as it is directly absorbed through blood vessels in the nose or lungs – bypassing the stomach and liver.

Bristol bar Il Bordello became the first venue to offer its customers the device last week and owner Liz Lewitt said it had proved a hit with drinkers.

The inventor of the Awol machine, Dominic Simler, claims this method of consuming alcohol reduces the effects of a hangover and is calorie-free.

But alcohol experts described the device as “diabolical” and warned that inhaling alcohol could cause serious brain damage.

Professor Oliver James, head of clinical medical sciences at Newcastle University, said: “By snorting the alcohol it can go directly into the brain without being filtered by the liver.

“What is getting into your brain could be the equivalent of many times more than by drinking it.

“This will not only make you very drunk very quickly but is also likely to increase the risk of direct alcohol damage to the brain. This could do irreversible damage to nerves, lead to swelling and possibly lead to dementia in the long term.”

He added that people may also be able to inhale alcohol for 20 minutes, get drunk, drive and still be able to pass a police breathalyser test as alcohol levels in the blood remained very low.

The Automobile Association said Awol would have to be treated like drugs and be subject to rules making it illegal to drive with impaired abilities.

Andrew Howard, head of road safety at the AA Motoring Trust, said: “The law doesn’t just say you must not be over the legal limit, it says you must not drive when you are impaired.”

Mr Simler, 29, from London, said no one should drive after consuming alcohol but refuted claims that the device posed a danger to health.

“There is a built-in safety device as it takes about one hour to inhale one shot of alcohol. It is hardly something people are going to get very drunk on,” he said.

“It is designed to allow people to enjoy the effects of alcohol mixed with oxygen. It promotes a sense of well being and a mild euphoria. It is a fun new legal way to take alcohol.”

Mr Simler adapted the vaporiser from oxygen machines used for aromatherapy and exercise purposes.

The alcohol vapour is created by pouring a spirit into a diffuser capsule connected to an oxygen pipe. The oxygen bubbles are then passed through the capsule, absorbing the alcohol, before being inhaled through a tube.

Mr Simler estimated that he had sold approximately 50 machines, at £1,500 each, to be used specifically for vaporising alcohol.

Bar owner Ms Lewitt said customers using Awol would get “bored before they got drunk” as the amount of alcohol inhaled was so small.

She said she had been overwhelmed with bookings for the device, which is charged at a rate of £6 a shot.

“It is a novelty. People enjoy passing it around in a group. It takes that burning sensation away from the alcohol allowing customers to enjoy the taste of flavoured alcohol,” Ms Lewitt said.

She added that she had not seen anyone react badly to Awol yet but insisted the bar had a zero tolerance policy to bad behaviour.

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=2538295

I snorted quite a bit of blue label vodka over a decade ago and I'm

Bullets Explode in Oven

February 18, 2004

A husband and wife hid behind a refrigerator Tuesday night to escape bullets exploding in their oven.

Firefighters and police were called about the oven fire on Island Court in Howard around 7 p.m.

The man told Action 2 News he hid three pistols and ammunition in the oven before they left for vacation, thinking a burglar would never look in the stove. They returned from vacation Tuesday and the woman started dinner.

Increasing the chances of a tragedy, the man admits he tried to extinguish the smoking-hot cartridges with a fire extinguisher. The extinguisher was out of date, so it didn't work. So the couple went behind the refrigerator and called 911.

No one was hurt, and the man gave Action 2 News a tour of his kitchen and showed us the charred pistols and casings.

http://www.wbay.com/Global/story.asp?S=1650057&nav=51s7KtU1

Emps

Doing a Gummer

Friday, February 20, 2004

Farmer gulps manure water to prove his point

By SETH SLABAUGH

WINCHESTER - Dutch immigrant Tony Goltstein seems willing to do whatever it takes to get approval to build a 1,650-cow dairy farm.

That includes changing his first name and drinking a manure-water cocktail.

During a public hearing conducted by the Indiana Department of Environmental Management Wednesday night, dairy opponent Barbara Peeg squeezed some manure out of a dropper into a jar full of water.

She then put the lid on the jar and shook it, demonstrating that your water could be contaminated even though you couldn't see it. Peeg then delivered the jar to an IDEM official and sat down.

Goltstein came out of the audience of 200 or so people at the Randolph County Fairgrounds, removed the lid from the jar and took a big drink, causing shock and laughter in the crowd.

Earlier, Goltstein told the crowd that when he moved to America he changed his first name from "Toine" to "Tony."

"That's one of the little things I do to please you guys," Goltstein said.

He has proposed to build a 20-million-gallon manure storage lagoon to help convince the state to approve his permit application for a concentrated animal feeding operation.

That's enough capacity to store a year's worth of manure that his farm would produce. State regulations require lagoons to hold up to half a year's worth of manure.

CAFO operators store manure in lagoons and apply it to cropland as fertilizer when the crops are off the land, after harvest in the fall and/or before planting in the spring. Frozen ground and saturated ground can delay application of the manure, requiring it to be stored.

http://www.thestarpress.com/articles/4/014728-4994-002.html

Man arrested for watching porn while driving

Police say movie was easily seen on car's DVD player
Andre Gainey, 35, was stopped for watching a pornogrphic movie on his car dvd player. Police say the flick was easily seen from outside the car.

By Lindsay Cohen

WNYT-TV

Updated: 03:35 PM PT Feb. 19, 2004

Feb. 19 - Some movies are controversial. Others only cause controversy when being viewed. That's what's landed a Clifton Park man in jail.

Police say 35 year-old Andre Gainey was driving near the Schenectady Police Station Tuesday night. A detective in an unmarked car noticed Gainey watching the pornographic movie "Chocolate Foam" on a dvd screen inside his green Mercedes.

Police pulled the Clifton Park man over less than a block away.

"[The movie] was played in a way where it was easily seen by anybody that was behind the vehicle, like the detective was," said police spokesman Lt. Pete Frisoni. "It could've been a family that was parked behind him. Someone walking by would have easily seen this because the windows weren't tinted at all."

Gainey was arrested under state penal law, section 245.11. It prohibits public displays of offensive material when visible by others. That includes from inside a car.

"This was definitely a case where it was out for the general public to see if they were walking or riding behind the vehicle," Frisoni said.

Gainey was also charged on several other counts, including watching a movie while driving. and driving with a suspended license. Both are misdemeanors.

When police were booking him, Gainey signed a different name to a fingerprint card. That resulted in a felony charge.

Gainey is currently in the Schenectady County Jail, without bail.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4315854/

[edit: More detailled report:

N.Y. driver nabbed while watching porn

Updated: 10:45 AM PT Feb. 20, 2004

ALBANY, N.Y. - Andre Gainey found out the hard way that in the state of New York it’s illegal to drive while watching porn.

Police said the 35-year old man from Clifton Park was watching an adult movie called “Chocolate Foam” on Tuesday night while driving his Mercedes Benz in the town of Schenectady when he was spotted by an officer at a stop light.

Police spokesman Pete Frizoni said detectives pulled Gainey over when they saw the movie playing on screens embedded in the car’s headrests. When they confronted him, they saw another screen in the passenger-side visor was facing Gainey, allowing him to watch the movie while driving.

The case is thought to be the first of its kind in New York, said Joe Pichi, a spokesman for the state’s Department of Motor Vehicles.

“Our biggest problem is illegal cell phone use while driving,” Pichi said. “Drivers should be driving.”

Gainey was charged with a public display of offensive material, driving with a suspended license and driving while watching a television. He allegedly compounded his legal woes by giving a false name when he was fingerprinted, prompting police to add a charge of forgery.

He is scheduled to appear in court March 17.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4327481/ ]

I see a theme emerging:

Air passenger 'made terrorist claim'

March 1, 2004

A MAN boarding an international flight in Brisbane introduced himself as a terrorist, a court was told today.

Nigel Nunn Aylward, 63, of Daisy Hill, pleaded not guilty in the Brisbane District Court to one count of making a false statement under the Crimes Aviation Act.

The court was told Aylward was one of the last passengers to board the Royal Brunei Airlines flight from Brisbane to Brunei on May 13, 2002.

Flight attendant Sharin Yew, giving evidence in the trial, told the court how she greeted Aylward at the door and said, "good morning".

"I greeted him and asked to see his boarding pass," she told the jury.

"Instead of replying 'good morning', he said 'I am a terrorist', loud and clear."

Ms Yew said Aylward showed no emotion and was expressionless when he made the announcement before calmly proceeding to his seat and sitting down.

After consultation with the flight captain, Aylward was eventually removed from the flight.

The trial before Judge Brian Hoath is expected to end tomorrow.

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,8834600^1702,00.html

Caught On Tape: Greenwich Village Subway Mayhem

Metal Object Thrown Onto Subway Tracks

POSTED: 7:36 am EST March 1, 2004
UPDATED: 11:19 am EST March 1, 2004

NEW YORK -- A 47-year-old man was arrested after he allegedly threw a metal object onto subway tracks in Manhattan, sending five people to the hospital and causing about 1,000 others to be evacuated from trains, authorities said.

Bonergy Quelal, of the Bronx, was apprehended at the West Fourth Street station in Greenwich Village at about 5:30 p.m. Sunday, police said.

It was not clear what was thrown onto the tracks, but it welded to the steel and caused a breaker to short-circuit, said police spokesman Sgt. Michael Wysokowski. Smoke filled the station and seven trains had to be evacuated.

Five people were taken to hospitals for smoke inhalation and two others refused treatment on the scene. None were seriously hurt, police said.

Service on the A, B, C, D, E and F lines was interrupted for several hours but was restored shortly after midnight, said New York City Transit spokesman Paul Fleuranges.

http://www.wnbc.com/traffic/2884830/detail.html

March 3, 2004, 6:26AM

Police say drunken birthday ended with high-flying caper

By RICHARD STEWART
Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

Brazoria SO
Louis P. Kadlecek

ANGLETON -- Louis Paul Kadlecek had never been in a plane before, but that didn't stop him. Reeling from four days of drinking to celebrate his 21st birthday, he broke into 16 hangars at the Brazoria County Airport, stole two planes and flew one into a power line, police said Tuesday.

Using pilot's manuals, the unemployed tree cutter managed to taxi two planes around the airport before flying off in one early Sunday, authorities said. He didn't get very far before wrecking the aircraft, cutting off electricity to much of Clute and Lake Jackson.

Kadlecek walked away unhurt -- and unidentified. But on Tuesday he was arrested, charged with theft and booked into the Brazoria County Jail.

He told investigators he had been partying since last Wednesday, his 21st birthday, when he started breaking into hangars at the airport early Sunday.

Brazoria County Chief Deputy Sheriff Charles Wagner said Kadlecek knew the airport layout because he had performed community service there after one of his previous arrests.

Police said he managed to get one plane out of the hangar, start the engine and taxi around the airport before bringing it back, saying the plane was too complicated. He then took a two-seater Cessna from another hangar, loaded it with about 24 cans of stolen beer and started taxiing around.

"The pilot's manual was out on the seat beside him," Wagner said.

Once on the runway, Kadlecek told investigators, he decided "to go for it" and revved up the engine. When he thought it was going fast enough, he pulled back on the yoke and the plane took off.

Wagner said he asked him where he was going and Kadlecek said, "I don't know, Mexico, maybe."

The plane didn't have that much fuel. Had he tried to fly too far, he probably would have crashed, Wagner said.

He got about a mile.

Kadlecek told police he peered through the early morning fog and saw a set of high-tension power lines looming. The propeller chewed through the lowest wire, carrying more than 100,000 volts of electricity.

"He said he saw a bright flash of light," Wagner said. Then Kadlecek said "Oh!" followed by an expletive.

The plane fell 100 feet into a heap in a muddy pasture of the Wayne Scott Prison Unit.

Several people saw the crash, Wagner said. One called 911 and, sure that the pilot was dead, drove off to a golf game.

Others saw a man get out of the plane, walk 300 yards to Texas 288 and cross it. Kadlecek told investigators he walked about three miles to his home.

From witness accounts, investigators were able to draw a composite sketch of the suspect.

When the sketch hit newspapers, the sheriff's office started getting leads.

Kadlecek was one of them. When county investigator Richard Foreman contacted Kadlecek and asked him to come to the sheriff's office to be in a lineup Tuesday morning, he agreed but said he didn't have a ride to get there.

Foreman went to pick up Kadlecek at his home just south of Angleton and noticed that he had his toothbrush.

"I've been around long enough to know that he was expecting to be in jail," Foreman said. He said he asked Kadlecek if he had anything to tell him and he hung his head and said, "I did it."

Kadlecek has been arrested by the sheriff's department several times before on charges including burglary, unauthorized use of a vehicle, driving while intoxicated and driving with a suspended license. When arrested, he was on probation for burglary, Wagner said.

He was charged with felony theft in the most recent incident. Bond hadn't been set Tuesday night. If convicted, he could face two to 20 years in prison.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/2430358

Teen makes Jackass of himself

From correspondents in Cergy
March 11, 2004

A FRENCH teenager was hospitalised with several broken bones after he and three of his friends copied some risky stunts they had just watched on the US television show "Jackass", police said.

The 17-year-old boy fell nearly four metres from the top of a parking garage which he and his friends had climbed in order to take photographs of each others' bare backsides, officers said. He suffered fractures to his wrists, knees and pelvis.

Earlier, the group had gone around their housing project complex in a northwest Paris suburb in a shopping cart while completely naked, imitating one of the key scenes of the Jackass series.

The television show, broadcast on the MTV channel, has led to a spate of injuries suffered by copycat teenagers in the United States and in other countries where the show is aired.

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,8934002%5E13762,00.html

Clearly mentioning Jackass gets more people reading the article but he smashed himself up by falling off a garage where he and his friends were taking pictures of their nudey behinds which doesn't sound awfully like a daring Jackass stunt (although they were doing nudey shoppng trolley rides earlier so........).

Emps

Seems lie this might be an increasing problem for stupid people (and one handed drivers:

Emperor said:
Man arrested for watching porn while driving

Police say movie was easily seen on car's DVD player
Andre Gainey, 35, was stopped for watching a pornogrphic movie on his car dvd player. Police say the flick was easily seen from outside the car.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4315854/

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4327481/

XXX-DVDs a new hazard for drivers

Thursday, March 11, 2004 Posted: 0020 GMT (0820 HKT)

DETROIT, Michigan (AP) -- Andrea Carlton hadn't planned on telling her daughter about the birds and bees until she was 8 or 9. But that changed the night 4-year-old Catherine spotted a porno movie flickering on a screen in a minivan nearby.

"Just like there's no windows in a strip club, you shouldn't be able to see inside windows in a car when they're watching X-rated movies," said Carlton, a 26-year-old from Gurnee, Illinois.

More and more Americans are buying vehicles with DVD players, usually to keep the kids entertained. But an increasing number of other people on the road are catching a glimpse through the windows of more than just "Finding Nemo" and "SpongeBob SquarePants."

Depending on where they are driving or parked, motorists could face fines and even jail time for screening X-rated stuff. But where the law may not be clear, some are calling for tighter regulation.

"Residents should not be subjected to those obscenities," said Flint City Councilwoman Carolyn Sims, who is examining whether an ordinance packing a 0 fine is needed. "They do have a right to have peace and tranquility and not to have this exposure to sex in their face."

A driver in Schenectady, New York, was arrested last month after rolling past police with a DVD titled "Chocolate Foam" playing on the passenger-side sun visor in his Mercedes-Benz, authorities said. The movie also was rolling on screens set into the car's headrests.

The driver was accused of breaking state laws prohibiting watching TV while driving, as well as another law making it illegal to exhibit sexually explicit material in a public place.

"The detective had a clear view of what was playing through the window. Anyone walking by on the street could have seen it," Schenectady police Lt. Peter Frisoni Jr. said of the nighttime traffic stop. "If he had dark, tinted windows where you couldn't see in, that wouldn't be a public display."

As for Carlton, she was driving in the Chicago suburb of Buffalo Grove with her daughter when Catherine glimpsed the sexually explicit movie. The experience last fall upset the girl and angered Carlton.

Carlton and her husband sat down with Catherine and offered the best explanation they could. Since then, Carlton has spotted other motorists with explicit movies playing, including a couple watching from the back seat of their car in a store parking lot.

"You're not allowed to have sex in your car, so why are you allowed to watch it?" Carlton asked.

Most states, including Michigan, have laws that make it illegal to watch TV while driving. Laws governing the exhibition of pornography vary by state, but experts say they could be applied to drivers as well.

"I think those restrictions would apply if the content is located in a vehicle," said Jeff Matsuura, director of the law and technology program at the University of Dayton. "You have effectively moved beyond the privacy of your own home."

During the day, it is often difficult to see what is playing inside another vehicle. But at night, the screens are easily visible from a passing car or a vehicle stopped alongside at a traffic light. The screens are also getting bigger.

In Flint, Sims took up the issue after hearing from a woman who was driving with her 5-year-old when she spotted porn playing on a vehicle's 13-inch TV screen. A police officer who happened to see the display pulled over the driver, Sims said, but let him off with a warning.

To Sims, a 23-year police veteran who retired in 2001, playing an explicit movie in view of other motorists or pedestrians is akin to flashing or having sex in a public place.

But Michigan State Police, who have not had any cases of in-car porn, say playing an X-rated movie might not be easy to prosecute unless it can be proved that the motorist intended for others to see it.

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/US/03/10/drive.by.porn.ap/index.html

Not the best way to dry money - while pissed and driving:

Thursday, March 11, 2004
— Time: 5:39:23 PM EST

Flying 0 bills lead to suspected DUI arrest

By LILA FUJIMOTO, Staff Writer

KAANAPALI - As 0 bills flew out of his pickup truck, a suspected drunken driver was arrested Tuesday afternoon when he was stopped at the scene of a two-vehicle collision on Honoapiilani Highway, police said.

While he wasn't involved in the crash, the driver was among those stopped as officers were clearing the roadway following the crash, reported shortly after 3 p.m. near Kekaa Drive, said Capt. Charles Hirata, commander of the Lahaina Patrol District.

Two other drivers, stopped while police directed a tow truck to the area, had told officers that they had seen the blue pickup truck swerving on the highway as it headed south toward the crash scene, Hirata said. He said the other drivers also reported seeing the green bills blowing out of the truck.

When the pickup truck driver reached the crash scene shortly after 4 p.m., he appeared to be intoxicated and had trouble complying with officers' instructions as they directed him to pull off the highway, Hirata said.

"He definitely was a hazard," Hirata said.

He said the driver's blood-alcohol level was "well over" the legal limit of 0.08 percent.

The man explained that the money had gotten wet so he had laid it on the dashboard to dry, Hirata said.

He said police officers and firefighters helped pick up the 0 bills that had blown out of the truck - "as much as we could find, which wasn't blown away by the wind."

The cash was returned to the driver, identified as 41-year-old Michael McCartin of Lahaina, who needed some of it to bail himself out after being charged with DUI, driving after his license was suspended and not having insurance.

Hirata said the man tried to leave some of the money for police as he took a cab from the Lahaina Police Station after bailing himself out. But officers flagged down the departing cab and returned the cash.

At the crash scene, police had the highway cleared by 4:45 p.m. after having it open to one lane of traffic in each direction.

Hirata said the nearly head-on crash occurred when a car turning left from Honoapiilani Highway onto Kekaa Drive collided with a pickup truck heading in the opposite direction. The impact caused the car to spin, Hirata said, while the pickup truck overturned and hit a guardrail. A male in the car was transported to the hospital to be treated for a foot injury.

"Luckily, everyone was wearing seat belts," Hirata said.

http://www.mauinews.com/news/story/0311202004_new02flying0311.asp

I know I ask what were they thinking but clearly a lot of people just aren't.

March 11, 2004, 11:34AM

Police say drunken dad put young son behind wheel

DALLAS -- A Texas man did the drinking and decided to let his 11-year-old son, who was barely able to see over the steering wheel, do the driving, police said.

Police said Wednesday that they had arrested Robert Lee Crider on charges of child endangerment, public intoxication and having an open container of alcohol in his vehicle.

Crider's son was pulled over by a Texas state trooper outside of the west Texas town of Big Spring in the pre-dawn hours of Saturday after the officer saw the car speeding and weaving through traffic, said Sgt. Jason Hester, a spokesman for the Texas Department of Public Safety.

Crider apparently was taking his son home for the weekend as a part of a custody arrangement with his ex-wife. Crider and a friend stopped off at a bar with the boy, and when the two adults became too drunk to drive, they handed the keys of the rental car over to the boy. The boy was pulled over just as the group started on a trip of some 200 miles to Crider's home.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/metropolitan/2444424

Do people never learn from the actions of other stupid people?

Earlier tale:

Emperor said:
Bullets Explode in Oven

February 18, 2004

A husband and wife hid behind a refrigerator Tuesday night to escape bullets exploding in their oven.

Firefighters and police were called about the oven fire on Island Court in Howard around 7 p.m.

The man told Action 2 News he hid three pistols and ammunition in the oven before they left for vacation, thinking a burglar would never look in the stove. They returned from vacation Tuesday and the woman started dinner.

Increasing the chances of a tragedy, the man admits he tried to extinguish the smoking-hot cartridges with a fire extinguisher. The extinguisher was out of date, so it didn't work. So the couple went behind the refrigerator and called 911.

No one was hurt, and the man gave Action 2 News a tour of his kitchen and showed us the charred pistols and casings.

http://www.wbay.com/Global/story.asp?S=1650057&nav=51s7KtU1

Emps

Now where do you think would be a good palce to hide a gun? Urmmmmmmm:

Gun In Oven Goes Off, Wounds Woman

Police: Boyfriend Hid Gun In Oven

POSTED: 11:08 am CST March 31, 2004
UPDATED: 11:43 am CST March 31, 2004

SAN ANTONIO -- A decision to cook a midnight snack ended up being a bad idea recently for a 29-year-old San Antonio woman.

Police said some friends of the woman's boyfriend took a gun over to the couple's apartment late Thursday.

When Roxanne Perez saw the .357-caliber pistol, she told her boyfriend she didn't want the weapon in their home, so he hid it inside the oven without Perez's knowledge.

When Perez later went to cook some food in the oven, the gun went off, wounding her in the hip.

Perez was transported to a hospital and was released Saturday.

Police said the shooting was accidental and no charges were filed.

http://www.nbc5i.com/news/2963742/detail.html

Emps

Anti-gay fundies fall for Onion spoof

..........and they still don't get it (I do hope this is also a spoof itself but..).

Trustee seeks apology for spoof photo

Parents opposing a school program used a picture from a satirical newspaper on their pamphlets.

MARISSA NELSON, Free Press Education Reporter
2004-04-08 03:15:19

A school board trustee is demanding an apology from a parents' group that used a fake photo from a satirical newspaper on its pamphlets opposing the expansion of a safe schools policy. Simply Truths Our Priority, or STOP, handed out pamphlets and computer discs with a 300-page book of Internet research outside a public meeting last week.

The session was a chance for the Thames Valley District school board to get input on its plan to expand the safe schools program -- a move to protect gay and lesbian students.

But STOP argues the board is changing the curriculum and will promote a homosexual lifestyle in schools.

"Satire is apparently lost on rigid individuals," said London trustee Peter Jaffe. "Taking something from a spoof newspaper and presenting it as reality crosses the line. (The photo) plays on people's worst fears. I would hope this group will make a full and public apology."

The photo shows a teacher at the front of a class with explicit sexual images and terms drawn on the board and is supposed to represent one of the "countless" classrooms where homosexuality is promoted.

The picture was copied from the Onion, a satirical newspaper from the United States. The headline of the 1998 story says, " '98 homosexual drive nearing goal."

The story, written out of San Francisco, goes on to say children are being successfully recruited into homosexuality because of the "gay lobby's infiltration of America's public schools."

Marilyn Ashworth of STOP said it's concerned the photo represents what will end up in this region's schools if the board goes ahead with its plan.

"We knew it was a gay paper and we hold that even as a joke, the gay community is proud of their advancements into the safe schools program in the U.S.," she said. "We don't think homosexuality in schools is a joke."

Asked whether she believed it was a real photo, Ashworth said the caption included the teacher's name, city, state and grade.

"We researched in depth and that was one of the things we found," she said, noting the group spent seven weeks accumulating research.

"We don't come by our findings lightly. . . . Whether it was meant to be a joke or not, it's not funny to parents who are trying to protect their children."

Other headlines on the archival page are: Antique dealer sick of appraising smurf collections and Orgy a logistical nightmare.

Sean Mills, president of the Onion, laughed when he heard the news.

"The motto the writers have is we're not going after the right or the left, we're just going after people who are dumb," Mills said.

"We're anti-dumb, we're not anti-anything else . . . They're proving our point. It's a ridiculous notion there'd be recruitment going on. That was the whole point."

Mills said the photo is fake, the Onion has nothing to do with STOP and isn't a gay paper.

"In some ways, if you're going to a satirical news source to prove a serious point . . . you're getting what you deserve."

Trustee Peggy Sattler said she wonders if STOP knew it was a fake photo.

Trustee Linda Stevenson said the photo calls into question the legitimacy of STOP's 300 pages.

"It's not worth the paper it's written on."

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/LondonFreePress/News/2004/04/08/412787.html

The Onion article is here (warning: The Onion is a spoof site :p ):

http://www.theonion.com/onion3326/homosexualrecruit.html

Emps

I am reading: Unusually Stupid Americans

Honestly. Great title, a fun read!

Unusually Stupid Americans is by the couple, Kathryn and Ross Petras, who authored a series of books on the stupidest things ever said.

You can read excerpts from the book on the American Amazon.com's website:

Look Inside Unusually Stupid Americans

There is also a long list of other titles by the same authors.

Other great American sources for acts of great stupidity include Chuck Shepard's "News of the Weird", "The Funny Times", Dave Berry, the Darwin Awards (website and books), "The Journals of Irreproducible Research", and "The Weekly World News". Awards for great stupidity include the IgNobel Prizes, the Darwin Awards, the Golden Raspberries, and the Silver Foot in Mouth awards. And, of course, there's always George W. Bush, Jr.--the books detailing his stupid deeds and words are now as numerous as the sands of the sea.

British sources of stupidity research are nearly as numerous and just as good but you probably already know about ananova.com and, of course, our own beloved "Fortean Times".

Oh, my!

And I once found a history of stupidity on the web. It is probably still there.

Published: Friday, April 16, 2004

War trophy leads to trial of sergeant

Associated Press

CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. -- At a court-martial resulting from a shipboard explosion, Marines testified that a sergeant took an explosive shell in Iraq as a war trophy and discarded it in a trash can, where it blew up and wounded 10 people.

The most seriously injured Marine, Pfc. Michael Hayes, said Wednesday he was packing for the trip home in May when he threw paper and old batteries into the trash can aboard the USS Saipan.

"I heard two of the batteries hit something metal," Hayes said. "I woke up three to four days later" in a U.S. military hospital. The explosion ripped apart his right arm. Doctors used his abdominal muscles to replace the lost tissue, though he still has no feeling in the arm, Hayes testified.

Sgt. Mark Hoerber, 24, of Miami is accused of bringing the explosive on board. He also was wounded by shrapnel, but he managed to pull an electrical cord from a computer and wrap it around Hayes' arm as a tourniquet.

Before the court-martial started Tuesday, Hoerber pleaded guilty to disobeying a general order against bringing explosives aboard the ship. He still faces charges of assault and damaging the Saipan.

Civilian defense attorney Neal Puckett said other people also had such war trophies, and the military jury should make sure prosecutors prove the shell that exploded was the same one that Hoerber brought on board.

Sgt. Shane Elliott of Great Falls, Mont., testified that he found the M-42 howitzer fragmentation round while walking with Hoerber outside a military camp in southern Iraq last April. Hoerber found a rusted, crushed Iraqi rifle magazine at a former Iraqi bunker destroyed during the Gulf War in 1991, and they traded, Elliott said.

Staff Sgt. Anthony Wetherall testified that Hoerber showed him something similar to a corroded M-42 shell in a ship's lounge three to four days before the explosion.

He "showed me something that didn't look right, and I told him to throw it over the side (of the ship) and not to put it in the trash," Wetherall said.

http://www.heraldnet.com/Stories/04/4/16/18487312.cfm

Its not too clear what was going on but I'd bet good money it was some kind of rampant stupidity (or some kind of sick sucide attempt?):

Boy recovering after bizarre stunt

12:51 PM CDT on Friday, April 16, 2004

By BRIAN ANDERSON / DallasNews.com

A 12-year-old Granbury boy who was struck by a car while two friends watched through the lens of a video camera was continuing to recuperate in a Fort Worth hospital.

Police said they are still unsure as to why the boy was reclined with a pillow in the middle of a dark street about 10:25 p.m. Saturday.

“We have no idea what gave them the idea to do it,” Mitch Galvan, a detective with the Granbury Police Department, said Friday.

Galvan said no evidence supports the theory that the boys may have been emulating a stunt portrayed on television.

Patrol officers were dispatched to the neighborhood after police received reports of two motorists narrowly avoiding a child who was lying in the roadway. Before those units arrived, the boy was struck.

The boy suffered injuries to his nose, cheek and jaw as his friends, boys ages 12 and 14, videotaped the incident from nearby.

Galvan said the injured boy stood up and walked to the garage of his family home before realizing the full extent of his injuries. Police arrived minutes later and immediately called for an ambulance. The child later was taken by helicopter to Cook Children’s Medical Center, where he remained hospitalized Friday.

“He’s got a long way to go, but he’ll be fine,” Galvan said, explaining that the injuries are not life-threatening.

Galvan said the driver of the car that struck the boy circled the block after sensing the impact. By then, the boy had gone and only the pillow remained, but the driver mistook the pillow for a rock and drove away.

The detective said charges were not expected to be filed, although he plans to turn the matter over to the district attorney’s office for review.

Granbury, in Hood County, is located 35 miles southwest of Fort Worth.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...r/stories/041604dnmetboystruck.12f8104df.html

Pity he wasn't younger or he might be in the running for a Darwin Award ;)

Also it had to be set on Fire Island didn't it??

Man dies in house fire

BY BART JONES AND ALFONSO CASTILLO
STAFF WRITERS

April 19, 2004

An intoxicated Davis Park man died after he lit a rug on fire and challenged his roommate to see who could stay in the house on Fire Island longer Saturday night, Suffolk County police said.

Police said Thomas Woods, 59, ignited the rug in his house at 9 Driftwood Walk sometime before 8 p.m. As the fire spread, Woods fired one or two rounds from a pre-World War I Mauser pistol, said Det. Sgt. Ed Fandrey of the Suffolk County homicide squad. Police do not know why he fired the gun.

When the fire began spreading dangerously, Woods' roommate, Rod Bennett, ran to a neighbor's house to call 911 a few minutes after 8 p.m.

Volunteers from the Davis Park Fire Department responded, along with neighbors who tried to extinguish the blaze with garden hoses and anything else they could find. But it was too late.

"All of a sudden, flames shot up," said one neighbor, Nancy Buglino. "The whole sky was lit up."

A total of 75 firefighters from neighboring Fire Island departments as well as Blue Point and Patchogue eventually responded, some traveling across the Great South Bay by ferry. The fire was brought under control in 40 minutes.

Fandrey said there were no indications of foul play, and that no arrests were made. "I don't expect we're going to be locking anybody up," he said. "It looks like it's a tragedy."

Bennett was handcuffed after the fire, he said, mainly because he was combative and distraught. Bennett's story of what happened "is so incredible," Fandrey said, that it's probably "credible."

Fandrey said the two men were drinking heavily Saturday night when Woods issued his dare: "Let's see which one of us leaves first."

A volunteer Davis Park firefighter who is also a neighbor was the first firefighter on the scene. He entered the house but could not find Woods because of smoke, Fandrey said. Bennett followed him into the house three times and had to be ejected.

Apparently, Woods had fallen asleep on a couch in the living room, and then tried to escape when he woke up, Fandrey said. Authorities found his body near the house's entrance, on top of a pile of plastic that had melted off the windows during the fire.

"It looks like he tried to get out and couldn't," Fandrey said.

"The fire was fully engulfed in the house already -- flames through the windows, coming out the roof," Chief Paul Young said. "There was no chance of actually going in the house to do any type of search at that point."

The fatality stunned the community, where many part-time residents had just arrived for the first time this year to open their houses.

"It's a small community. We don't have many fires and for a death to happen is virtually unheard of," said resident Doug King.

Residents said Woods and Bennett were a rarity -- just three houses are inhabited year-round.

Neighbors said Woods was a retired utility worker and a divorced father. "Tom was just so quiet," Buglino said. "It's really sad . . . I can't believe Tom was in the house."

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/l...,0,6961941.story?coll=ny-topstories-headlines

Back