• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Great Acts Of Stupidity

Emperor said:
Teen makes Jackass of himself

From correspondents in Cergy
March 11, 2004

A FRENCH teenager was hospitalised with several broken bones after he and three of his friends copied some risky stunts they had just watched on the US television show "Jackass", police said.

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,8934002%5E13762,00.html

Clearly mentioning Jackass gets more people reading the article but he smashed himself up by falling off a garage where he and his friends were taking pictures of their nudey behinds which doesn't sound awfully like a daring Jackass stunt (although they were doing nudey shoppng trolley rides earlier so........).

and another set of finger pointing at Jackass possibly more to blame but I saw the interview with the lad who filmed the whole thing and struck me as being pretty dim and lets be honest kids have been dicking around in dangerous ways before Jackass (I raised the story with my Dad who remembers a friend nearly getting nasty burns from messing around with a fire they had assumed was safer than it actually was). I also think it is a bit rich for the mother to be blaming a TV show which is on (supposedly) too late for her child to have watched - nice dodging of any parental repsonsibility!!

FIREBALL HORROR AS BOY COPIES JACKASS STUNT

Apr 21 2004

Fury after lad, 10, is hurt

By Steven Ventura

THIS is the horrific moment when a boy of 10 turned himself into a human torch as he copied the sick stunts of a TV show.

Joe Armstrong was videotaped by friends jumping over a fire as petrol was thrown on it.

The youngster and his pals attempted the crazy stunt after watching the antics on controversial cult show Jackass.

Joe's clothes caught fire and he was left in agony with 15 per cent burns.

Yesterday, as her son recovered in hospital, Joe's mum condemned the programme in which people carry out stunts such as cycling into walls.

Allison Hughes, 41, of Darwen, Lancashire, said: 'I think the show is disgusting and should be banned no matter when it comes on.

'If kids see these things and think they can get away without getting hurt, it is ridiculous.

'Joe has burns to his chest and legs and petrol burns are the worst kind.

'When he was admitted, he had 18 football-sized blisters on his body. He will be scarred for life.'

Joe's plight would have been even worse if his 15-year-old friend Michael Davies hadn't ripped off his burning clothes.

Allison said: 'I received a phone call telling me to go to the hospital. I hardly recognised my own son when I saw him. He was sobbing and told me that he thought he was going to die.'

Inspector Stuart Bruce said: 'The lads have admitted this was a deliberate stunt that backfired.'

Jackass, an MTV show, was shown at night on Channel 4 until recently. It was also made into a film in 2002.

A spokeswoman for MTV said: 'We hope Joe makes a full recovery.

'Jackass is only shown after 10pm and viewers are repeatedly warned not to copy stunts.'

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/t...or-as-boy-copies-jackass-stunt-name_page.html

shorter versions:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/t...=89488&headline=jackass-horror-name_page.html

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnew...id=50143&headline=you-jackass--name_page.html

Bad burns for Jackass copycat

6.57PM, Wed Apr 21 2004

The mother of a boy who suffered horrific burns after copying a stunt from the TV programme Jackass has severely criticised the US series.

Ten-year-old Joe Armstrong was videoed by a friend jumping over a bonfire after seeing a similar stunt on the MTV show.

He suffered serious burns when petrol was allegedly squirted on to the flames.

The youngster, from Darwen, Lancs, needed hospital treatment after the incident, which took place earlier this month.

Detective Superintendent Neil Smith, of Lancashire Constabulary, said an investigation had been launched into the circumstances of the incident.

"Detectives are currently reviewing the circumstances surrounding the incident that resulted in Joe Armstrong suffering from serious burn injuries.

"The decision has been made to open a criminal investigation into the matter, in view of the seriousness of the incident and further complaints that have been received today."

Mr Smith described the stunts broadcast on Jackass as "very dangerous" and warned parents to be careful about what they let their children watch.

"The Jackass programme shows very dangerous stunts to a wide audience and obviously, young children have access to it.

"I would urge all parents to be aware of what their children are doing and watching, to ensure we don't have a repeat of this incident.

"This boy could easily have been killed."

MTV was unavailable for comment.

http://www.itv.com/news/2068919.html

Emps

Emperor said:
Its not too clear what was going on but I'd bet good money it was some kind of rampant stupidity (or some kind of sick sucide attempt?):

Boy recovering after bizarre stunt

12:51 PM CDT on Friday, April 16, 2004

By BRIAN ANDERSON / DallasNews.com

A 12-year-old Granbury boy who was struck by a car while two friends watched through the lens of a video camera was continuing to recuperate in a Fort Worth hospital.

Police said they are still unsure as to why the boy was reclined with a pillow in the middle of a dark street about 10:25 p.m. Saturday.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...r/stories/041604dnmetboystruck.12f8104df.html

Granted this should go in the Strange Deaths thread but it was so like the above story that until, I checked, I had assumed the lad had died. And, of course, as with a number of other things in this thread (and one in Weird Sex) Jackass gets blamed (both good enough reasons for it to sneak in here):

Fatal stunt caught on tape

Av Trond Lepperød og Carin Pettersson 26.04.04 11:29, ny 26.04.04 11:32

A 19-year-old Oslo man was hit by a car and killed Saturday night in Askim. The accident occurred when the man had lain down in the road dressed up as a figure from children’s literature while two friends filmed the stunt.

Relatives are in shock and the police said they have never seen anything like this before, as the details connected to the fatal accident is unravelled.

According to Operational Commanding Officer Knut Jahr at Follo police district said that the deceased is a 19-year-old man from Oslo. He was on his way home from a business trip to Sweden for an Oslo based firm, travelling with two colleagues, a 28-year-old woman and 24-year-old man.

Dressed as characters from Finnish children’s literature, armed with a video camera, their game soon turned dangerous, and ended in a fatal accident. They are not suspected of being under the influence of drugs.

In middle of the road
«The 19-year-old went out into the road and lain down in the middle of the road while he was being filmed,» Jahr explained. «One car came, and it managed to swerve past. Then the man had lain down across. Shortly thereafter, he was hit and killed.»

30 seconds after the stunt started, a young man had lost his life. The 19-year-old died instantly.

The police got the call at 9:45 p.m. Saturday. The three of them were returning from a work assignment in Sweden. They turned off E18 and stopped at Sekkelstenkrysset between Askim and Slitu in Østfold to take a break.

Worked in the entertainment industry
«We don’t know what kind of stunt this was,» Jahr said, who stated that the three of them worked for the Oslo company Peak Entertainment, offering entertainment for children and youth.

Jahr said the police do not rule out that the three of them were inspired by the stunt entertainment like the television show «Jackass.»

«The accident has to be viewed separately, but we will of course warn youth against doing such stunts,» Jahr said to TV 2 Nettavisen.

As a routine, a blood test was taken of the driver who hit the 19-year-old, but there are no suspicions that the driver was under the influence. The person was in shock and was offered professional help from health personnel. The police also talked with the driver of the car who managed to swerve and avoid hitting the 19-year-old.

«When the case is finished investigated, the prosecuting authority will discuss possible reactions to the people involved,» Jahr said to TV 2 Nettavisen.

Whether or not the colleagues of the 19-year-old can be blamed for not acting and trying to stop the accident will be the central question in the case.

http://pub.tv2.no/nettavisen/english/article217497.ece

Emps

Student ‘won’ bet to drink a poison

By Bob Campbell
Odessa American

The condition of an Odessa High School junior who drank a poison chemical on “a bet” last Wednesday at the school was upgraded from “critical” to “satisfactory” at University Medical Center in Lubbock.

Assistant Principal Ray Lascano said swelling in the youth’s throat had receded enough for him to talk and that OHS students and faculty members are relieved that he appears to be out of jeopardy.

“There was deep concern, but everything seems to be going in a positive direction,” Lascano said Monday afternoon after talking with the youth’s mother. “He’s speaking and can converse. He’s a good kid, and he had a strong value-based group that he was hanging around with.”

Lascano said ECISD officials are still investigating the incident to determine how and why the youth ingested the chemical. The student was found shortly after 3:30 p.m. last Wednesday in an OHS hallway, bleeding from the nose and mouth. He was taken to Medical Center Hospital and airlifted to Lubbock.

“We’re still working on how it happened,” he said. “We need to find out what it was from the toxicologist. All of those materials belonged to one of the chemistry labs.”

He added that the youth transferred to ECISD in January from Andrews. Lascano said the student had been moved from the Lubbock hospital’s intensive-care unit to the pediatric unit. UMC House Supervisor Nancy Smith reported the youth’s improved condition Monday and said he took another student’s bet before drinking the chemical.

http://www.oaoa.com/news/nw051804b.htm

and he had a strong value-based group that he was hanging around with ???:(

Teens Hospitalized After Drinking Flower Concoction

POSTED: 10:50 am CDT May 28, 2004
UPDATED: 4:07 pm CDT May 28, 2004

NEW ORLEANS -- Three Kenner teenagers were hospitalized Monday after overdosing on a homemade concoction of boiled poisonous flowers mixed with a soft drink, police said.

The teens, ranging in age from 16 to 18, were taken to Kenner Regional Medical Center after convulsions and hallucinations gave way to a comalike state.

"One of them reported that he had been chewing on his arm because he thought it was a roast beef sandwich, and he offered it to other people," Kenner police spokesman Capt. Steve Caraway said.

Narcotics investigators learned that the teenagers had boiled Angel's Trumpet flowers because they didn't have money for drugs. They also planned to make several extra gallons of the concoction to sell, police said.

Caraway said no one was arrested because no laws were broken.

"It's obviously dangerous, but it's not controlled," Caraway said. "It's not scheduled."

The plant is listed on several Web sites as "poisonous if eaten." One site said the plant contains the toxic alkaloids that have caused poisoning and death by Jimsonweed, also known as "loco weed" because of its effect on cattle.

"It's a very beautiful plant, as you can see," said horticulturalist Marisa Cuplip. "At night, it's very fragrant and it almost -- especially the lighter-colored ones -- they almost glow in the dark. It's very enticing because of how pretty it is, but any part of it is very poisonous."

Symptoms usually begin 15 minutes to several hours after ingestion, and can last as long as three weeks in severe cases of poisoning. Symptoms include headache, dizziness, inability of the eyes to focus, thirst, nausea, urine retention and urinary tract pain, increased heart rate, hallucinations, panic, and coma, according to a news release from the Kenner Police Department.

The teens have since been released from the hospital and are recovering at home.

http://www.theneworleanschannel.com/news/3357405/detail.html

Its always good to have one's stupidity proved in a court of law:

Father guilty of 'stupid' DIY job

A man has been sentenced to 160 hours of community service after a botched attempt at DIY.

Christopher Pendery, 27, from Loughborough caused nearly £15,000 worth of damage to his rented house.

He admitted causing criminal damage as he converted a loft into a bedroom.

Leicester Crown Court heard on Wednesday that one surveyor described it as "the most dangerous inhabited property" he had seen in 11 years.

Prosecutor James Varley said Pendery sawed through timbers holding up the roof of the house, owned by Derwent Housing Association, when they got in the way of his conversion.

It does not make him a bad man, just a stupid one
Lawyer describing Christopher Pendery

He also installed a small bed and lined the floor with chipboard, which was so fragile it would have caved in when any weight was placed on it.

The damage was first noticed by police on a visit to the house on an unrelated matter.

William Redgrave, defending, said: "From the start, he has expressed his absolute remorse for this stupid offence.

"He did not appreciate he was committing a criminal offence at the time.

"There's no excuse put forward. The explanation was that he was seeking to create a space for his children to have more room to play in but failed to give any thought to the consequences."

"It does not make him a bad man, just a stupid one."

Judge Peter Morrell, sentencing, said: "I can see you are sorry for yourself and there's a degree of remorse at the consequences of your stupidity.

"I do not regard that the cost of the damage caused was the most serious aspect of what you did... the most serious aspect is the risk you placed innocent people in by your thoughtless actions."

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/england/leicestershire/3770939.stm

Published: 2004/06/02 15:48:06 GMT

© BBC MMIV

He didn't used to live in my house before me, did he? :(

escargot said:
He didn't used to live in my house before me, did he? :(

LOL - it seems like a good idea for an extreme unmakeover show where the guy comes around and really screws up your house ;)

--------------------
More Jackass style stunts - what are people thinking about?

Stunt victim's family sues company

Canadian Press

June 2, 2004

VANCOUVER (CP) -- The family of a man killed after a fiery film stunt is suing the movie company and several others involved.

Joshua Chapman, 23, wasn't wearing proper fire proof clothing when a pail of gasoline was thrown at him as he rode through fire on a snowmobile, alleged the suit filed in B.C. Supreme Court. Chapman's mother is suing for "damages for nervous shock and psychological trauma resulting from the shock and horror she experienced on seeing Joshua immediately after he was severely burned," said the suit.

Several people are named in the suit, including Jeremy Deichen, the director of Loaded Gun Productions.

Deichen also faces charges of criminal negligence causing death.

Chapman's family said the actions of the defendants that day in Squamish, B.C., were reprehensible and deliberately planned for the public sale of the video.

Chapman died Aug. 5, 2002, about two weeks after the stunt, which was caught on videotape.

Two of the defendants were accused of continuing to film "even after gasoline was thrown on (Chapman) and while he was burning."

They were also accused of fleeing the scene and not helping in any way once they realized how badly Chapman was hurt.

No emergency crews were standing by and he died in hospital two weeks later.

His family is suing for punitive and aggravated damages.

The suit contained allegations that have not been proven in court.

http://www.canada.com/entertainment/movies/story.html?id=b7c30ff2-f72a-4495-9dbe-0554c81704a5

Man blown up showing off grenade

From correspondents in Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
10jun04

A MAN was killed when a hand grenade he was showing to a friend exploded outside a restaurant in Papua New Guinea's capital, police said today.

His friend was critically injured in the blast, police said.

Webster Mark, in his mid-20s, died instantly when the grenade exploded outside the Yumi Yet restaurant on Wednesday, Port Moresby Police Commander Tony Wagambie said.

Mark was reportedly attempting to pull the grenade out of his trousers when the pin became caught on his zipper.

"It was a very stupid thing to do," Wagambie said.

Mark's friend, who was not named, was rushed to Port Moresby General Hospital in critical condition.

A proliferation of illegal weapons in the Pacific nation of 5 million is regarded as a major contributor to a breakdown of law and order.

Australia is negotiating with Papua New Guinea officials on a 800 million Australian dollar (US5 million) plan, announced in December, for Australia to send 300 police and civil servants to help stem its neighbour's escalating crime and corruption.

Australia administered Papua New Guinea, formerly run by Germany, from 1915 until its independence in 1975.

http://www.couriermail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,9806259%5E1702,00.html

What was he thinking?

Wed 23 Jun 2004

3:32pm (UK)

'James Bond' Doctor Defends Bizarre Fantasies at Employment Tribunal

By Emma Gunby, PA News

A fantasising doctor – email address [email protected] – claimed today that he had been unfairly dismissed after he lied about appearing on Blind Date and auditioning for Big Brother.

Dr Sushant Varma, 32, from Sheffield, was suspended from his post as a house officer at Halton Hospital in Cheshire after senior doctors became concerned about his increasing fantasies.

An employment tribunal in Liverpool heard how Dr Varma had claimed in his CV that he had been a contestant on Blind Date.

When hospital bosses asked him about this he told them that the show had never aired because the father of the contestant he chose did not approve of her going out with an Asian.

Richard Bradley, representing Halton Hospital, said: “You dug yourself in deeper by increasing your lies.

“You named a contestant called Nicola Parkinson who you chose, and claimed that her father would not allow her to go on a date with someone of your racial origin.

“It was in fact complete nonsense.”

Dr Varma, who trained at Sheffield University, admitted he had made the event up but said it was “trivial”.

He added: “I wrote half a line in my CV about it, I only did it to sound a bit more interesting and to put a bit of gloss on it.”

The tribunal also heard that the doctor had officially changed his name to Dr Sushant ’James Bond’ Varma, as well as lying to colleagues about auditioning for Big Brother.

Management at the hospital revealed that Dr Varma had also left photographs of himself dressed in women’s clothes for a charity event in a communal staff area, and suggested that his e-mail address was “inappropriate”.

They also criticised his decision to produce a manual for house officers which suggested wearing a bullet proof vest, carrying a police baton and wearing gloves because “you do not know where the patients have been”.

Mr Bradley said: “I suggest that the sad truth of this matter is that after apparently starting out brightly in the hospital’s employment, you began to exhibit increasingly bizarre behaviour.

“You continued to exhibit this behaviour when you would not face up to reality.

“You cannot see that it is necessary for a doctor to tell the truth.”

Dr Varma admitted he had told lies about his personal life but said he did not believe it had any bearing on his medical training.

He resigned from the hospital on May 15 2002 prior to a disciplinary hearing into his conduct.

He claims constructive dismissal, racial and sexual discrimination, protected disclosure and breach of contract.

The hearing continues.

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=3105917

Seems to be a bit harsh for such trivial delusions. I've known people in positions of authority who tell much worse lies about their private lives.

As for the advice about batons and rubber gloves, has anyone been arrested lately? Police officers wear vests and baton and regularly don gloves when searching to protect themselves against their 'customers' because they don't know where they've been OR what they've got (Hep B, scabies, lice :cross eye). Seems like sound advice to me.

And I love his email address. Could be one of us :p

Thursday, June 24, 2004

Fire empties mall

Flammable substance used to kill spider touches off blaze

BY JUSTIN WALDEN, DOM YANCHUNAS
Press & Sun-Bulletin

JOHNSON CITY -- An assistant manager at Champs Sports in the Oakdale Mall sprayed a flammable substance on a spider and then set it alight Wednesday, causing a blaze that evacuated the mall, village police and fire officials said.

Joseph R. Freer, 23, of Perry Road, Binghamton, was charged with fourth-degree arson, a felony, in connection with the 5:24 p.m. blaze, village police Capt. Ted Wido said.

Wido refused to identify the substance that Freer used. The blaze quickly spread to merchandise in the storage area, eventually engulfing the storage area in flames. Freer was released and ordered to appear in village court Friday.

There were no injuries in the fire. Smoke from the fire quickly filled the mall, forcing it to close.

Mall marketing director Nancy Phillips said Oakdale will reopen today. But Phillips said Champs may not open first thing in the morning.

Motorists driving north on Route 201 about a mile away from the mall could see smoke from the blaze. The smoke inside the building made the flames tough to find, Johnson City Fire Chief Henry Michalovic said.

It took firefighters roughly 13 minutes to get to the fire and begin fighting it, Michalovic said.

The fire sent employees scrambling to close stores and kiosks.

"When we got in the hall, it smelled," said Heidi Berger, a supervisor at the Lane Bryant women's clothing store. "And you could see hazy smoke. Security was yelling, 'There's a fire, get out.' "

Karyn Wiseman, a sales associate at the Binghamton Mets kiosk near Lane Bryant, had just minutes to put shirts and other B-Mets merchandise into cupboards.

She saw a mall security officer run past her with a fire extinguisher. She also saw some people run past her in the opposite direction, screaming, she said.

But after quickly locking down the kiosk, Wiseman fled the mall. As she watched firefighters work in the mall's parking lot near Reynolds Road, Wiseman said she wasn't worried about the fire.

"I knew that it was farther down the mall," Wiseman said.

The Champs store experienced a good deal of smoke and water damage, Wido said. He couldn't put a dollar figure on the damage to that store.

Bon-Ton, near Champs, experienced moderate smoke and some water damage, Michalovic said. The rest of the stores and restaurants had slight to moderate damage.

To get rid of the smell from the smoke, Michalovic said the mall's air-conditioning system will be reversed. Instead of blowing cool air throughout the building, it will suck the foul-smelling air that's inside and push it out.

"The guys on duty did a hell of a job," said Michalovic, whose department was joined by members of the Binghamton Fire Bureau. "It was tough."

Village firefighters inspect each store in the mall usually twice each year, which allows them to get an idea of the mall's layout. On Wednesday, that helped firefighters navigate through the smoke-filled building, Michalovic said.

While firefighters have put out the occasional garbage can fire at the mall, this was the first structure fire at the mall in at least six or seven years, Michalovic said.

New York City-based Vornado Realty Trust owns the mall, which opened in 1975.

http://www.pressconnects.com/today/topstories/stories/to062404s99240.shtml

Heard the one about the blind golf cart driver?

No joke: Ga. man charged with reckless conduct after 2-mile drive
MSNBC staff and news service reports

Updated: 9:47 a.m. ET June 15, 2004

An ill-advised trip on golf cart ended with a long drive into a rough spot when a blind man — accompanied by his guide dog and a drunken friend — steered the vehicle along two miles of winding paths in Peachtree City, Ga., before slamming into a parked car, it was reported Tuesday.

Police told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that the drunken friend, Michael Johnston, who was “admittedly under the influence of alcoholic beverage” after consuming six or seven beers, gave instructions to the blind man, Samuel McClain, to enable him to negotiate the twists and turns of the paved path. Also riding in the cart was McClain’s guide dog, a golden retriever.

The journey came to a sudden end when McClain rammed the cart into a parked car.

No one was hurt in the accident, but McClain, 35, and Johnston, 47, were charged with reckless conduct “due to the blatant disregard for public safety,” the newspaper said.

Peachtree City, a city of 34,000 about 25 miles south of Atlanta, has about 80 miles of paved cart paths and 9,000 registered carts that residents use for daily tasks like going to the grocery or taking children to school.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5215423/

Warning over Jackass copycats

Police have warned people about copying stunts from television programme Jackass after four people were charged with staging a hoax kidnapping.

Officers were called after members of the public thought they were witnessing a real abduction in a supermarket car park in Dalkeith, Midlothian.

Four men were later charged with breach of the peace. They told officers they were re-enacting a scene from Jackass.

A police spokesman warned others not to copy stunts which could alarm others.

The incident took place outside a Tesco store on Sunday afternoon.

Shoppers saw a man with a black plastic bag tied over his head stumble from a car in an apparent attempt to escape.

He was bundled into the boot by two others before the car sped away.

Summer holidays

Two 20-year-old men, a 24-year-old and a 26-year-old were later charged with breach of the peace by police. A report will be sent to the procurator fiscal.

Lothian and Borders Police warned people about the dangers of attempting to repeat some of the things they have seen on Jackass, the controversial MTV and Channel 4 series.

A police spokesman said: "This Jackass programme is very popular among teenagers and being the summer holidays there will be a lot of youth about with time on their hands who could attempt to copy some of the stunts on the programme.

"We would advise them to be very careful not to do anything which causes fear and alarm to other members of the public or indeed might even end up with themselves being injured."

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/3890505.stm

Published: 2004/07/13 13:57:50 GMT

© BBC MMIV

This is frighteningly like somehting Homer Simpson would do:

No nail gun? Try a sawed-off rifle

Last Updated Wed, 14 Jul 2004 09:56:53 EDT

CHARLOTTETOWN - A Prince Edward Island man who substituted a rifle for a nail gun during a home improvement project will not be allowed to own firearms for five years.

Michael Robert Porter decided a sawed-off .22-calibre rifle could help him with a bit of home improvement. On July 5, he took his gun and some nails outside his Rochford Street home and started securing a screen over a window.

Someone who was passing by saw Porter shooting at his house and called police.

Officers seized five firearms, which they said were stored unsafely.

Two were antiques and will be turned over to the Army Museum in Charlottetown.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2004/07/14/nail_gun040714.html

I do quite like the idea of wrapping cars in it but putting it across the road!! Across the toilet bowl is bad enough!!

Prankster uses plastic wrap as road trap

Sunday, July 18, 2004 Posted: 1604 GMT (0004 HKT)

TOWN OF WAUKESHA, Wisconsin (AP) -- A prankster tightly wound plastic wrap around traffic poles across a two-lane road, causing a motorcycle accident that injured two people.

Daniel Buckel, and his girlfriend, Theresa Brzykcy, were riding south of Waukesha on Tuesday when their motorcycle crashed into the plastic wrap set up 3 to 4 feet above the road -- wound thickly from traffic poles on opposite sides.

Buckel, 22, was within 10 feet when he saw the makeshift barricade, and hit the brakes.

"It's appalling, and it's really frightening," Brzykcy, 19, told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. "What was their intention? This should make people more aware that pranks like that are not as harmless as they seem."

Buckel was cut above his eye and broke his finger. Brzykcy also suffered scrapes and bruises.

Buckel is offering a
Prankster uses plastic wrap as road trap

Sunday, July 18, 2004 Posted: 1604 GMT (0004 HKT)

TOWN OF WAUKESHA, Wisconsin (AP) -- A prankster tightly wound plastic wrap around traffic poles across a two-lane road, causing a motorcycle accident that injured two people.

Daniel Buckel, and his girlfriend, Theresa Brzykcy, were riding south of Waukesha on Tuesday when their motorcycle crashed into the plastic wrap set up 3 to 4 feet above the road -- wound thickly from traffic poles on opposite sides.

Buckel, 22, was within 10 feet when he saw the makeshift barricade, and hit the brakes.

"It's appalling, and it's really frightening," Brzykcy, 19, told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. "What was their intention? This should make people more aware that pranks like that are not as harmless as they seem."

Buckel was cut above his eye and broke his finger. Brzykcy also suffered scrapes and bruises.

Buckel is offering a $1,000 reward for information leading to a conviction.

Last year, several parked cars were found bound in plastic wrap to prevent drivers from getting inside, Detective Steve Pederson said.

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/US/Midwest/07/18/plastic.trap.ap/index.html

Plastic wrap barrier causes motorcycle crash

By DARRYL ENRIQUEZ
[email protected]
Posted: July 16, 2004

Town of Waukesha - Motorcyclist Daniel Buckel was within 10 feet when he saw the potential disaster stretched across a dark and foggy rural road just ahead.

Disbelief turned to fear, then anger, as Buckel's 2-year-old motorcycle hit a barrier of kitchen-variety plastic wrap that was wound thickly from traffic pole to traffic pole on opposite sides of Guthrie Road, south of Highway I.

The clear plastic trap, which was 3 to 4 feet above the two-lane road south of Waukesha, sent both Buckel and his passenger, girlfriend Theresa Brzykcy, into a bloody slide across the asphalt.

"It's appalling, and it's really frightening," Brzykcy said. "What was their intention? This should make people more aware that pranks like that are not as harmless as they seem.

"They had done a pretty thorough job. It was wrapped around pretty thickly," she recalled.

The malicious prank has Waukesha County sheriff's investigators concerned because other capers involving plastic wrap occurred in the town last year, although none was as serious as the motorcycle crash early Tuesday, Sheriff's Detective Steve Pederson said Friday.

Investigators were planning to canvass homes near the crash site this weekend, looking for information that will lead to a break in the case.

"When something like this happens someone always brags about it," Pederson said. "If anyone has heard anything about this or any other incident involving (plastic) wrap, contact us.

"Maybe someone had seen this happen or removed (plastic) wrap from other areas," he said. "We'd like to know about it."

Last year, a number of parked cars were found bound in plastic wrap to prevent drivers from getting inside the vehicles, Pederson said. Plastic wrap bonds together, giving it strength and making it difficult to remove.

Pederson said investigators were unaware of other incidents of wrap being stretched across a road.

The couple's injuries sent both to Waukesha Memorial Hospital. Buckel, 22, of the Town of Waukesha, required 15 stitches to close a deep gash above his right eye and also broke a finger. Brzykcy, 19, of Brookfield, got a deep cut and bruise to her right cheek along with other scrapes and bruises. The motorcycle was a total loss, Buckel said.

The 1 a.m. ride was supposed to be a short one meant to relax the couple, who have known each other for more than a year. He had just left his bartending job, and she was waiting for him at his family home. Earlier she had taken his mother to a medical appointment.

Buckel said he was driving 5 mph under the 45 mph speed limit because the motorcycle headlight had shone on deer along the road and there was a slight haze from ground fog in the low-lying area.

"I didn't see it," Brzykcy said of the barrier. "He braked so hard I figured it was a deer. My first hit was on him, which totally saved me. Then, I landed on my head (on the road). Everything went white and yellow and red, and I blacked out for a while. I woke up on my back, laying in a driveway."

Buckel, fueled by anger and concern for Brzykcy, fought off his own pain and called 911 on his cell phone, he said. Among the first emergency personnel to arrive was Beckel's best friend, Scott Sommers, a member of the Town of Waukesha Fire Department.

"I ran over to my girlfriend and looked around to see if the pranksters were still around," Buckel said. "I didn't see anyone. When my friend arrived, it made things a lot easier to cope with."
,000 reward for information leading to a conviction.

Last year, several parked cars were found bound in plastic wrap to prevent drivers from getting inside, Detective Steve Pederson said.

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/US/Midwest/07/18/plastic.trap.ap/index.html

Plastic wrap barrier causes motorcycle crash

By DARRYL ENRIQUEZ
[email protected]
Posted: July 16, 2004

Town of Waukesha - Motorcyclist Daniel Buckel was within 10 feet when he saw the potential disaster stretched across a dark and foggy rural road just ahead.

Disbelief turned to fear, then anger, as Buckel's 2-year-old motorcycle hit a barrier of kitchen-variety plastic wrap that was wound thickly from traffic pole to traffic pole on opposite sides of Guthrie Road, south of Highway I.

The clear plastic trap, which was 3 to 4 feet above the two-lane road south of Waukesha, sent both Buckel and his passenger, girlfriend Theresa Brzykcy, into a bloody slide across the asphalt.

"It's appalling, and it's really frightening," Brzykcy said. "What was their intention? This should make people more aware that pranks like that are not as harmless as they seem.

"They had done a pretty thorough job. It was wrapped around pretty thickly," she recalled.

The malicious prank has Waukesha County sheriff's investigators concerned because other capers involving plastic wrap occurred in the town last year, although none was as serious as the motorcycle crash early Tuesday, Sheriff's Detective Steve Pederson said Friday.

Investigators were planning to canvass homes near the crash site this weekend, looking for information that will lead to a break in the case.

"When something like this happens someone always brags about it," Pederson said. "If anyone has heard anything about this or any other incident involving (plastic) wrap, contact us.

"Maybe someone had seen this happen or removed (plastic) wrap from other areas," he said. "We'd like to know about it."

Last year, a number of parked cars were found bound in plastic wrap to prevent drivers from getting inside the vehicles, Pederson said. Plastic wrap bonds together, giving it strength and making it difficult to remove.

Pederson said investigators were unaware of other incidents of wrap being stretched across a road.

The couple's injuries sent both to Waukesha Memorial Hospital. Buckel, 22, of the Town of Waukesha, required 15 stitches to close a deep gash above his right eye and also broke a finger. Brzykcy, 19, of Brookfield, got a deep cut and bruise to her right cheek along with other scrapes and bruises. The motorcycle was a total loss, Buckel said.

The 1 a.m. ride was supposed to be a short one meant to relax the couple, who have known each other for more than a year. He had just left his bartending job, and she was waiting for him at his family home. Earlier she had taken his mother to a medical appointment.

Buckel said he was driving 5 mph under the 45 mph speed limit because the motorcycle headlight had shone on deer along the road and there was a slight haze from ground fog in the low-lying area.

"I didn't see it," Brzykcy said of the barrier. "He braked so hard I figured it was a deer. My first hit was on him, which totally saved me. Then, I landed on my head (on the road). Everything went white and yellow and red, and I blacked out for a while. I woke up on my back, laying in a driveway."

Buckel, fueled by anger and concern for Brzykcy, fought off his own pain and called 911 on his cell phone, he said. Among the first emergency personnel to arrive was Beckel's best friend, Scott Sommers, a member of the Town of Waukesha Fire Department.

"I ran over to my girlfriend and looked around to see if the pranksters were still around," Buckel said. "I didn't see anyone. When my friend arrived, it made things a lot easier to cope with."

http://www.jsonline.com/news/wauk/jul04/244241.asp

Lady, you'd have been better off getting a ticket

Woman puts rare coin in meter

Thursday, July 22, 2004 Posted: 9:01 PM EDT (0101 GMT)

JOHANNESBURG, S. Africa (Reuters) -- A South African woman mistakenly plunked a 100-year-old gold coin worth more than $1,000 into a parking meter while shopping without her glasses, a newspaper reported on Wednesday.

"I can't believe I could have done something like that," said the woman, who asked not to be identified.

The woman said she also believed she had spent an 1890 sovereign, worth a small fortune, as small change, the Cape Argus newspaper said.

The woman inherited the gold coins from her mother, but they became mixed up with loose coins she kept in a container and were transferred to her purse by mistake.

She told the newspaper she did not realize she had the coins with her and was not carrying her spectacles. She said she thought she put a Kruger sovereign, worth about 7,000 rand ($1,100) in a parking meter in Paarl outside Cape Town.

Copyright 2004 Reuters.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/africa/07/22/odd.coin.reut/index.html

Maybe we can get her to post her account in the 'Daft Things I Have Done' thread.

:p

Someitmes people's stupidity is breathtaking!!

July 22, 2004

Teen Badly Burned in Fire Stunt

(Greenwood) -- A teenager is in a drug-induced coma. Thomas Jefferson, 15, is clinging to life on a ventilator following a harrowing ordeal.

Authorities say it happened in front of a home in the 4300 block of Mahogany Drive in Greenwood on July 5th.

"[A friend] goes and gets the gasoline, the victim takes his shirt off, he pours the gasoline on the shirt, the victim puts his shirt back on and his other friend lights him on fire,” explained Eric Brown, White River Township Fire Marshal

Authorities say that happened after Jefferson and two friends ran out of fireworks and decided to try to light each other's clothes on fire. Jefferson was engulfed in flames from his head to his waist.

"I would never have imagined something like this to happen. I mean things go on in different neighborhoods, but not that. They're old enough to know better,” said neighbor Michelle Cordray.

Added fellow neighbor Scott Moore "At 10:30 they were throwing firecrackers at each other beside my house and I told them they need to get home and then ten minutes later I see an ambulance show up.”

In short, authorities call it a stunt gone terribly wrong -- a horrible lesson about the dangers of fire.

"It was a weapon. It may not have been intentional, but it doesn't make it right. It still occurred,” said brown.

Brown says that the other teens -- Austin Hart and Tyler Lockwood -- face charges of felony arson, aggravated assault and criminal wrecklessness. They have a preliminary hearing the second week in august in Johnson County.

Meantime, Jefferson, who was severely burned, is expected to remain in a drug-induced coma for the next couple of weeks in riley hospital.

http://www.wishtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=2074697&nav=0Ra7P4Ho

Last update: July 21, 2004 at 7:35 AM

Wisconsin man injured while flipping off trains

Associated Press
July 21, 2004 FINGER0722

APPLETON, Wis. -- A man in a wheelchair who makes obscene gestures to the crews of passing trains was injured when he got a little too close to one of them, police said.

A gas tank on a train engine clipped the wheelchair of Leland Laird, 54, Tuesday evening, causing him to fall out of the damaged chair and injure his arm, police said.

Laird told officers he has been wheelchair-bound since 1989 when a car he was driving was struck by a train near Fremont.

But that's not the reason he periodically ``flips off'' the trains, Lt. Pat Matuszewski said.

He told police he puts himself where train crews can see him - engineers and conductors consider him a regular - and makes obscene gestures because he is frustrated by their loud horns.

``He lives right near the intersection. That's his way of addressing the loud horns blowing,'' Matuszewski said.

Laird was treated at Appleton Medical Center for an abrasion to his left arm, ticketed as a pedestrian for violating traffic signals, and told to find less dangerous ways to express hims

http://www.startribune.com/stories/1451/4886650.html

It does make one wonder how he ended up being hit by the train first time around - possibly flipping them off I suspect?

1 coin contains 0 worth of gold

From correspondents in Colombo
July 29, 2004

SRI Lanka's central bank has suspended sales of precious metal commemorative coins that were becoming gold mines for speculators, an official said.

Buyers could make a mint out of the eight gram gold coin priced at 8000 rupees (1) when the equivalent gold value in the open market had shot up to at least 10,000 rupees (0).

"We stopped the sale of the gold and silver coins pending a revision of prices," the bank's superintendent of currency, S. Wijesinghe, told AFP. "The gold value in the coin is more than the current market price."

The coin was issued with a face value of 5000 ()rupees to mark the country's independence golden jubilee in February 1998, with a tidy 3000 rupee mark up for the central bank.

Sales of the coins were suspended last month without fanfare, although the bank's website has continued advertising the coins at the old price.

The 4100 people who had bought the 5000 rupee gold coin before sales were suspended could now be laughing all the way to the bank, or the jeweller.

The 1000-rupee silver coin weighing 28.28 grams has also been held back because the metal value in it is more than the 1200 rupees (.70) the bank had been charging.

Jewellers here said a sovereign, or eight grams, of 22-carat gold in the form of a medallion or coin retailed for 12,000 rupees (7), while in uncrafted form it costs 10,0000 rupees (0) - the "paper gold market" price.

Wijesinghe said he did not expect the commemorative coins to be melted down, but jewellers said it made good business sense - although no one would openly admit to something that is technically illegal.

The bank had similar problems with smaller denomination brass coins which have virtually vanished from circulation after enterprising industrialists turned them into screws.

To a lesser extent, the five rupee coin is also being taken abroad, especially to London where some vending machines could be fooled to accepting it as a one pound coin.

http://news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,10279233%5E13762,00.html

Jail term for bauble bomb-maker

A professional dancer from Manchester has been jailed for nine months after police found homemade bombs hidden in Christmas decorations in his flat.

Stefan Campbell, 24, of Royce Road, Hulme, made the devices as a teenager, for his own interest, the court heard.

The bombs were left behind when he moved out of his rented flat in Alnes Road, Whalley Range, in December 2003, sparking a major security alert.

The judge at Manchester Crown Court jailed him in the "public's interest".

Judge Anthony Ensor told him: "You accept in leaving these dangerous devices unattended that you were criminally irresponsible.

"What you did led to very serious public alarm. It takes little imagination to determine how dangerous they could be in the wrong hands."

Rabbit holes

The tenant who followed Campbell found a cardbord box containing the bombs and called the police.

The court was told how police mounted a three-day investigation, involving about 130 officers.

Prosecutor Mark Ainsworth said the court accepted Campbell was a man of good character, and there was nothing sinister about in him making or having the items.

Campbell told police he had made the devices years ago, but didn't want to throw them away as they had taken him so long to make.

When he was younger, he had placed similar devices down rabbit holes or in hollow trees, the court was told.

BBCi News 30/07/04

Trivial twist to Falconio mystery
By Lorelei Fong Lim
August 2, 2004

A POPULAR international board game has breached a suppression order issued over the committal hearing of a man accused of murdering British backpacker Peter Falconio.

The 20th anniversary Australian edition of Trivial Pursuit poses a question relating to key forensic evidence in the case.

The evidence is the subject of a suppression order issued by magistrate Alasdair McGregor, who is presiding over the committal hearing.

Director of Public Prosecutions spokeswoman Jane Munday said it appeared the game's distributors were unaware of the order.

"We will be trying to contact them to ensure the game is not distributed in the Northern Territory," Ms Munday said.

"It is dangerous to use questions on the matter before the courts in games such as this."

Lawyers for accused man Bradley John Murdoch are not happy about the game including the question.

"We are obviously extremely concerned about it," lead counsel Grant Algie said.

"As we would be on anything that would impact adversely on Mr Murdoch getting a fair trial."

But a phone around to Darwin retailers by the Northern Territory News suggests it may be too late.

Super Toyworld and Kmart said they had sold out of the 20th anniversary edition of the game.

The edition has been available in Australia since May.

The Northern Territory News is unable to print the game's question because of the suppression order.

Mr Falconio, 28, disappeared three years ago while driving with his girlfriend Joanne Lees along a remote part of the Stuart Highway near Barrow Creek, 280km north of Alice Springs.

Police claim he was murdered by a man who ambushed the couple.

Northern Territory News

http://news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,10314735%5E421,00.html

I've just heard that Crystal Palace's new strip, which is being sold in shops to fans, has 'Crystal' misspelt as 'Chrystal'. :laughing:

It was shown on TV but I can't find it on t'internet yet.

I hate to say it, but Mr Patterson clearly isn't the brightest fairy-light on the tree. And I know it isn't very nice to laugh at those sorts of unfortunates, but-

:rofl:

A catalogue of (self-inflcited) brutality

Health officials investigating ''Jackass'' contest at Beach bar

By MATTHEW JONES, The Virginian-Pilot
© August 7, 2004

VIRGINIA BEACH — When an Oceanfront restaurant offered a trip to Mexico to the person willing to perform the most outrageous stunts last week, it found a winner but cost a manager his job.

It also set off alarms citywide, from the police department to a City Council that’s constantly working on ways to improve after-hours behavior at the resort.

The contest ended early on July 29, around 1:15 a.m.

A few minutes later, an officer spotted a young man staggering out of the restaurant, his head bleeding from a fresh Mohawk haircut.

The man’s chest, stomach, buttocks and legs were riddled with staples, said Lt. Dennis Santos , the supervisor that night.

“I’m not talking your little office kind, I’m talking about big industrial Bostitch staples,” he said.

Minutes earlier, one of Santos’ officers had noticed a sign in Chicho’s Restaurant on Atlantic Avenue at 21st Street.

It was advertising an event called “The Jackass Party.”

The term derives from a now-defunct show on MTV in which a group of men performed a series of outrageous, repulsive stunts.

Posted on Chicho’s front window was a laundry list of the activities expected in the event, actually a contest in which the victor would win a trip for two to Mexico.

“My first thought was this was a joke. I didn’t think anybody would seriously have those types of events,” Santos said. “Unfortunately, I was wrong.”

The winner, who has not been identified, told police that the staples had been applied by the Chicho’s crowd, which had passed around a stapler and shot him at random as he walked through the bar.

At one point, he told police, his testicles had been stapled to his stomach.

“We didn’t confirm that,” Santos said. “I didn’t want to pursue that part of it.”

The man had several slice marks on his side, which were the result of paper cuts or caning, Santos said.

The man also told police he’d snorted hot sauce and salt, broken a beer bottle over his head and swallowed and vomited up a live goldfish.

Throughout the interview, the man repeatedly apologized for reeking of urine, Santos said.

He said one part of the contest had involved his lying on the men’s bathroom floor and making “snow angels.”

The man also had lost the use of his left arm, which Santos said hung at his chest in a sling fashioned from a pair of women’s underwear.

“He did a back flip off the bar and didn’t make it,” Santos said.

Despite his injuries, the man told police that he was proud that he’d won the trip to Mexico.

He said he had signed a waiver and was concerned about getting the restaurant in trouble and losing his trip.

Officers gave him an alcohol breath test, and he was over the legal limit, Santos said.

They did not cite him, but they persuaded him to seek treatment for his injuries. Rescue workers took him to the hospital, where they discovered he’d broken his collarbone in three places, Santos said.

Officers spoke with Chicho’s Alcoholic Beverage Control manager, who maintained that the man had signed a waiver and that the restaurant was therefore in the clear, Santos said.

City public-health officials said they had not heard about the contest until contacted by The Virginian-Pilot on Friday.

Frank J. “Skip” Scanlon, the city’s environmental health manager, was not amused.

“The urine on the floor of the bathroom, that’s a violation,” he said. “Doing back flips off the bar may not be a violation, but it’s sure stupid. Of course, if that’s where food and beverages are being served from, it would be” a violation, he added.

The restaurant was last inspected on April 16 , when it was cited for 12 violations, one of them critical, according to a state Web site. The violations included not having disposable towels and soap in the men’s bathroom.

Scanlon added that someone from his department would be sent immediately to investigate.

“I’ve been doing this a long time, and I never … ” he trailed off. “We’ll certainly suggest to them that they don’t ever want to do that again.”

Andy Edwards , Chicho’s owner, said Friday that he and his partner had no idea the contest had happened until it was over.

The pair runs six establishments in Norfolk and the Beach, and any promotions are supposed to come through the central office, he said.

The Jackass Party, he said, was the creation of that particular restaurant’s staff.

Edwards’ co-owner cut short a family vacation to Disneyland and caught a red-eye return flight.

They fired the restaurant’s manager and demoted the two bartenders to the pizza kitchen, Edwards said.

“These guys made a mistake, and they paid for it,” he said. Edwards said he also met with the police and city officials to apologize.

“I’m not trying to make an excuse for what happened,” he said. “I admitted it. I corrected it. Let’s move on.”

The incident quickly made its way to the City Council.

“We can no longer be held hostage by the basest elements,” City Councilman Richard Maddox said during a council retreat workshop Thursday. “You’ve got a number of poorly run night clubs without vision who are holding us down.”

Council members said they need to find ways to improve late-night Oceanfront behavior.

One idea is to create a nightclub district between the beach and the new convention center.

At one point, Chicho’s owners had approached the city to ask if they could work with the Beach to improve the quality of the existing nightclub district.

“They’ve lost a lot of credibility,” Maddox said.

Santos said police never took a report or charged the winner with anything.

“I think he had been punished enough.”

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=74062&ran=69824

My question is do you think the human race is getting stupider?

Exhibit #45690-c:

'Jackass' winner fined for chewing mouse

August 17, 2004 - 12:51PM

A man who bit off the tail of a live mouse in a Brisbane pub competition was so drunk he was in shock when later told what he'd done, a court was told today.

Apprentice chef Tony McGee, 22, pleaded guilty to being cruel to an animal at a hearing in Brisbane Magistrates Court and was fined 0.

Defence lawyer Ben Power said McGee had also set off a mouse trap with his tongue, eaten a bird seed cup full of maggots, sucked up three chewed up chillies through a straw, drank a pint of anchovies and downed a pint of mouthwash.

The gruesome dares were part of a competition at the Exchange Hotel in inner-city Brisbane on April 14 which was modelled on the US television program Jackass.

Mr Power said the antics were akin to a military-style initiation rite.

He said McGee was given a 0 drinking voucher from the organisers beforehand and had downed bourbon and full-strength beer for six hours.

"He would like to stress that he is very sorry about what has occurred," Mr Power said.

The court was told McGee had no recollection of chewing on the mouse, only that he remembered having a mouse "in his possession" at some point.

Mr Power said when friends the next day told McGee about his antics he cringed and said: "I didn't do that."

McGee was one of four men charged after hotel patrons lodged a complaint with the RSPCA.

The organiser, Robbie Gundelach, 21, copped a

A man who bit off the tail of a live mouse in a Brisbane pub competition was so drunk he was in shock when later told what he'd done, a court was told today.

Apprentice chef Tony McGee, 22, pleaded guilty to being cruel to an animal at a hearing in Brisbane Magistrates Court and was fined $750.

Defence lawyer Ben Power said McGee had also set off a mouse trap with his tongue, eaten a bird seed cup full of maggots, sucked up three chewed up chillies through a straw, drank a pint of anchovies and downed a pint of mouthwash.

The gruesome dares were part of a competition at the Exchange Hotel in inner-city Brisbane on April 14 which was modelled on the US television program Jackass.

He said McGee was given a $100 drinking voucher from the organisers beforehand and had downed bourbon and full-strength beer for six hours.

"He would like to stress that he is very sorry about what has occurred," Mr Power said.

The court was told McGee had no recollection of chewing on the mouse, only that he remembered having a mouse "in his possession" at some point.

Mr Power said when friends the next day told McGee about his antics he cringed and said: "I didn't do that."

McGee was one of four men charged after hotel patrons lodged a complaint with the RSPCA.

The organiser, Robbie Gundelach, 21, copped a $1,250 fine and was ordered to pay $300 in court costs.

The RSPCA today lodged an appeal in Brisbane's District Court over the leniency of the sentence, insisting it was "manifestly inadequate" after it called for a $5,000 fine. A third man who handed the mice to the contestants was previously fined $1,000.

Advertising worker Chris Stafford, 25, told the court through his lawyer that he had learnt his lesson after helping Gundelach run the event.

The competition runner-up, Shane Gill, left court without being dealt with and is set to face charges in a fortnight.

When asked outside court today if he had any advice for competitors, Gill said: "Don't eat mice."

Under Queensland laws, the maximum penalty for being cruel to an animal is a $75,000 fine or two years' jail.
,250 fine and was ordered to pay 0 in court costs.

The RSPCA today lodged an appeal in Brisbane's District Court over the leniency of the sentence, insisting it was "manifestly inadequate" after it called for a ,000 fine. A third man who handed the mice to the contestants was previously fined

Apprentice chef Tony McGee, 22, pleaded guilty to being cruel to an animal at a hearing in Brisbane Magistrates Court and was fined $750.

He said McGee was given a $100 drinking voucher from the organisers beforehand and had downed bourbon and full-strength beer for six hours.

The organiser, Robbie Gundelach, 21, copped a $1,250 fine and was ordered to pay $300 in court costs.

The RSPCA today lodged an appeal in Brisbane's District Court over the leniency of the sentence, insisting it was "manifestly inadequate" after it called for a $5,000 fine. A third man who handed the mice to the contestants was previously fined $1,000.

Advertising worker Chris Stafford, 25, told the court through his lawyer that he had learnt his lesson after helping Gundelach run the event.

The competition runner-up, Shane Gill, left court without being dealt with and is set to face charges in a fortnight.

When asked outside court today if he had any advice for competitors, Gill said: "Don't eat mice."

Under Queensland laws, the maximum penalty for being cruel to an animal is a $75,000 fine or two years' jail.

Under Queensland laws, the maximum penalty for being cruel to an animal is a ,000 fine or two years' jail.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/08/17/1092508441344.html?oneclick=true

This weeks great act of stupidity I award to myself.
For not taking out insurance on the new motorcycle I recently bought. It was nicked and I only have myself to blame.
:(

Followup:

Emperor said:
What was he thinking?

Wed 23 Jun 2004

3:32pm (UK)

'James Bond' Doctor Defends Bizarre Fantasies at Employment Tribunal

By Emma Gunby, PA News

A fantasising doctor – email address [email protected] – claimed today that he had been unfairly dismissed after he lied about appearing on Blind Date and auditioning for Big Brother.

Dr Sushant Varma, 32, from Sheffield, was suspended from his post as a house officer at Halton Hospital in Cheshire after senior doctors became concerned about his increasing fantasies.

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=3105917

Fantasist doctor loses job claim

Aug 20 2004

By Mark Hookham Daily Post Staff

A DOCTOR who changed his name to James Bond was yesterday described as "an irrepressible fantasist".

Dr Sushant Varma, 32, lost his claim for constructive dismissal from his job at Halton Hospital, in Runcorn, Cheshire.

The junior house doctor, who used the e-mail address [email protected], was suspended from his post as house officer after senior doctors became concerned about him.

An employment tribunal in Liverpool yesterday ruled his managers had been right to believe his bizarre behaviour was either due to mental illness or a "serious defect of personality".

During the tribunal, the panel heard Dr Varma falsely claimed on his CV that he had appeared on the ITV show Blind Date.

He also told colleagues he had been invited to appear on the television show Big Brother after attending an interview at The Grosvenor Hotel, in Chesterfield. But the hotel did not exist.

Dr Varma also told colleagues he was involved in a number of heroic rescues including saving a woman from a burning car, preventing a child from being run over and stopping an old woman being mugged.

Dr Varma told the tribunal he had received bravery awards, but later reduced this to having received a handshake from the Mayor of Sheffield.

The tribunal also heard how the hospital received emails from a mysterious character called Matthew Jackson.

The emails made claims about race discrimination and were discovered to have come from Dr Varma's home computer.

The tribunal panel, which was chaired by Eryl Lloyd Parry, said: "We did not believe that there was such a person as that.

Here was a persona behind whom the applicant could shelter while venting the resentments of his fantasy."

Other allegations included reports Dr Varma was offered a bribe by someone who looked like his former vice-chancellor at Sheffield University, where he had studied.

He claimed he had been offered a choice of a Rolls-Royce or Bentley, and a Dean's salary for life.

The tribunal panel said: "We decided that it was a fabrication of one who could not properly distinguish fantasy from reality. If the applicant believes it himself, that represents a serious problem, one unacceptable in a practising doctor."

The panel added that the hospital was right to be concerned about his character.

It added: "They could not dismiss the possibility that he was suffering from a mental illness. If he was not, then he must be labouring under a serious defect of personality.

"The accumulation of bizarre incidents compelled such a view.

"Many might be put down to a young man's exuberance or to mere eccentricity.

"But they added up to a disquieting whole: Blind Date, Big Brother, heroic rescues, resisting a bribe that might have seduced the strongest, James Bond, Matthew Jackson, the list could go on. "Here was, at least, an irrepressible fantasist."

He resigned from the hospital on May 15, 2002, prior to a disciplinary hearing into his conduct.

He claimed constructive dismissal, unfair dismissal, racial and sexual discrimination, protected disclosure and breach of contract. The tribunal panel unanimously ruled against all his complaints.

Last night, Dr Varma told the Daily Post he would appeal.

He added: "This is barmy. It had three lever arch files of evidence which I wanted to go through at the tribunal.

"I could have refuted all but two of the charges. I do admit and put my hand on my heart on the fact that I made up the Blind Date story. But I wanted a talking point on my CV."

Mick Curwen, deputy director of human resources at North Cheshire Hospitals NHS Trust said: "We are delighted that this Trust, which is wholly committed to creating equal opportunities for staff and does not tolerate discrimination of any kind, has been vindicated."

http://iccheshireonline.icnetwork.c...ntasist-doctor-loses-job-claim-name_page.html

Man burnt porn magazine on plane

A plane passenger admitted endangering the safety of an aircraft after he set fire to a pornographic magazine because he found one of the pictures offensive.

David Mason ripped the magazine into pieces then set fire to it on a flight from Norway to Gatwick in February.

Lewes Crown Court was told Mason, 45, had found a photo of a black man with a white woman "offensive".

Mason of Surbiton, Surrey, is to be sentenced on 21 September but has been ordered not to fly as a bail condition.

'Desire to destroy'

Judge Richard Hayward said Mason must not fly on any commercial flights into or out of the UK or on domestic flights.

He said: "I am concerned about his lack of understanding about the danger he posed.

"My view is that a prison sentence is not appropriate but a degree of supervision is required.

"These offences are regarded as very serious and many judges would send him to prison - I want the public safety ensured."

Cabin crew on the Braathens Airline Boeing 737 flight doused the paper with water after they smelt burning.

The court was told Mason, who is said to suffer from schizophrenia, had tried to take the magazine into a toilet to burn it but the cubicle was occupied.

He had also asked a flight attendant if he could burn the magazine in an oven near the galley.

He told officers he was "overcome with desire to destroy" the picture.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/uk_news/england/southern_counties/3594514.stm

Published: 2004/08/24 12:27:26 GMT

© BBC MMIV

Back