• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Most people work hard for their money though and, whilst we don't owe our employers anything at all, if we were treated well by them and made a decent amount of money working for them, then I would have thought a 'nod, smile and acknowledgement' degree of loyalty might be called for. By all means call out any bad treatment. But don't totally diss those whose money helped pay your wages.
I get your point. However ...
Who pays the actors wage? The studio or the movie-goer? What about productions which make an actors name but the actor hated doing it - it was only a job. I've worked in many a place where I wouldn't 'diss' the place but I wouldn't wax lyrical over it either.
If she's asked for a personal opinion on HP fans (or any fandom) then it's more honest to give that opinion - in general rather in specific - than just mutter "We all love the intrusion, the feeling of being owned, being questioned on fan-theories that only the author can answer ..." etc.

Most people work hard for their money though and, whilst we don't owe our employers anything at all, if we were treated well by them and made a decent amount of money working for them, then I would have thought a 'nod, smile and acknowledgement' degree of loyalty might be called for. By all means call out any bad treatment. But don't totally diss those whose money helped pay your wages.
A few people who were asked, wouldn't work on the non-Eon Bond film Never Say Never Again out of moral obligation to Cubby Broccoli which I think was a decent thing to do.

I get your point. However ...
Who pays the actors wage? The studio or the movie-goer? What about productions which make an actors name but the actor hated doing it - it was only a job. I've worked in many a place where I wouldn't 'diss' the place but I wouldn't wax lyrical over it either.
If she's asked for a personal opinion on HP fans (or any fandom) then it's more honest to give that opinion - in general rather in specific - than just mutter "We all love the intrusion, the feeling of being owned, being questioned on fan-theories that only the author can answer ..." etc.
I think film and books are two different things (well, obviously...). MM has been in the films and can therefore pass opinion on filming etc, but I don't really think she should pass any opinion on the books or the readers thereof. I can understand her frustration with the obsessive fans, but any kind of pointed questioning should result in her directing them to the books (which are far superior to the films, which don't actually make much sense unless you've also read the books). But, up to her, I guess, I just don't think actors do themselves any favours when they start pulling the 'look, it's just a job' card to people who are very very involved in the whole fantasy.

I think film and books are two different things (well, obviously...). MM has been in the films and can therefore pass opinion on filming etc, but I don't really think she should pass any opinion on the books or the readers thereof. I can understand her frustration with the obsessive fans, but any kind of pointed questioning should result in her directing them to the books (which are far superior to the films, which don't actually make much sense unless you've also read the books). But, up to her, I guess, I just don't think actors do themselves any favours when they start pulling the 'look, it's just a job' card to people who are very very involved in the whole fantasy.
I wouldn't shit where I eat either but that's Miriam for you. She's not a fan of self censorship.

How is Miriam's surname pronounced? I haven't the first clue.

"it's just a job" - which pays an absolute fortune. There's a bit of inverted snobbery involved with some of these actors on occasion. I've no time for these characters pontificating about subjects outside of their film role.

Surely, regardless of their work, they are allowed opinions? Especially when they've had contact - albeit tangentially - the people concerned?

George Cole hated doing Minder (but presumably liked the dosh he got for it). The 80's tv generation probably had no idea of the roles he had played over the previous 40 years.
Thats a shame I loved George Cole and Minder.

That's a pity. She thinks you're a real hottie! ;)
I never could find Minder funny. Like Bread, and Only Fools and Horses, I just don't think 'dodgy chancers' and 'lovable rogues' funny.
I found Arthur quite funny but had more down as light drama Guv.

I imagine that Miriam is a bit fed up of people, including interviewers, forever bringing up her role in the Harry Potter films, particularly as she's had an extensive and interesting career besides. Maybe the likes of Ian McKellen feel much the same.
Same thing with John Hurt who used to shop somewhere I worked. Most people only remember him from ALIEN, I eventually plucked up the courage one day to ask him what his favourite roll was (Scandal - The Christine Keeler Story apparently) but I'd brought my Midnight Express DVD in to work instead (and bought a gold sharpie pen specially to get his autograph). He looked relieved it wasn't something ALIEN related, him and his Mrs were lovely though, John Hurt even asked my advice on some whisky and cod loin, he was very down to earth.

I'd hate to be famous with people like me walking up to me all the time. Sometimes you just want to go shopping.

Anyway, sorry .. Harry Potter ..

Same thing with John Hurt who used to shop somewhere I worked. Most people only remember him from ALIEN, I eventually plucked up the courage one day to ask him what his favourite roll was (Scandal - The Christine Keeler Story apparently) but I'd brought my Midnight Express DVD in to work instead (and bought a gold sharpie pen specially to get his autograph). He looked relieved it wasn't something ALIEN related, him and his Mrs were lovely though, John Hurt even asked my advice on some whisky and cod loin, he was very down to earth.

I'd hate to be famous with people like me walking up to me all the time. Sometimes you just want to go shopping.

Anyway, sorry .. Harry Potter ..
Scandal was a great film.....I even bought the soundtrack as an 17 year old.

I'm a Half Wit
John Hurt should have been in Harry Potter. He had the gravitas for that kind of role, the same as Allan Rickman and the other one . I could have played a fishmonger selling him cod loin. again. Then I could have been signing autographs at Comicon as 'that bloke who sold Professor *insert whimsical name* cod loin in Harry Potter except everyone would just walk past me to get an autograph from someone who was in a few episodes of Babylon 5 instead ... Abracadabra.

Last edited:
John Hurt should have been in Harry Potter. He had the gravitas for that kind of role, the same as Allan Rickman and the other one . I could have played a fishmonger selling him cod loin. again. Then I could have been signing autographs at Comicon as 'that bloke who sold Professor *insert whimsical name* cod loin in Harry Potter except everyone would just walk past me to get an autograph from someone who was in a few episodes of Babylon 5 instead ... Abracadabra.

Ummm, John Hurt WAS in Harry Potter - he was the wandmaker, Ollivander. *Shuffles feet awkwardly and sidles away into background*

Miriam Margoyles is right about Harry Potter it is rubbish and for kids, I only like proper stuff like He-Man and Transformers.
100838021_3460805620614270_4700549866739204096_n-2.png

Back