• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Haunted Hotels & Hotel Ghost Encounters (IHTM)

My grandmother bought a hotel in 1945 after my grandfather died. She decided it would be the best way to support herself and 3 daughters. It is in a small town in northern New Mexico. After she died my mother's youngest sister bought out her and her older sister and ran it for about 12 years. Then my mother's oldest sister bought it from her as she got married and her husband got transferred to another town. That aunt ran it until the early 80's when her husband died and she wanted to do something else. At the time that she had the hotel there was an oil bust so she did not have much business and supplemented the hotel business with bookkeeping jobs.

My aunt was able to get the hotel on the historical registry so no one could tear it down. She decided to turn it into apartments and almost had it finished when she sold it. The woman who bought it had made her living buying property and fixing it up and selling it. My dad's sister worked for her. (this is getting a little long winded, sorry). Anyway, that woman finished the apartments and kept the building as a rental property for several years. When she died her family sold it to a crazy woman who turned it into a restaurant and bed and breakfast. The first thing she did is go to the local paper with a story of hauntings. She made them up as her descriptions were of Victorian age ghosts but the hotel wasn't built until 1930. My mother and some of my cousins got angry and wrote letters to the paper, but only my mother's letter was published as it was completely literate and very angry, pointing out all the inconsistencies. My cousin that still lives in that town, who is the daughter who worked for the older woman who originally bought the hotel, was also bothered. She was acquainted with the new owner and had already decided she was crazy. She said if that hotel was haunted why did we never notice? I spent many nights there with you guys and we never had any hauntings. I was visiting so decided to rent a room at the bed and breakfast and find out about this woman. I realized the hotel still was not haunted but she was, omg, so many entities around her. I think a lot of the stories are not really about a building but more about a person, who either wants attention or walks around in a cloud of disembodied entities. She was both.

Since 2007 she has been trying to sell the hotel and has not had any buyers because of the price she wants for it. 7 times what she bought it for. So she rents a few rooms out and rents the basement to a shop owner.

Here is her website. https://www.hauntedplaces.org/item/miss-gails-inn/ I looked for her original page where she had the history but it is gone. It looks like now she is trying to get ghost hunters to go there.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Crown Hotel in Framlingham. Room 3 I believe, in the wing of the hotel that caught fire years ago and a family died. A small child is often seen in the room by guests. Heard many hair-raising tales from the staff and customers over a fireside pint. Wonderful place!

I find that all holiday hotels and resorts seem to have the residue of happy memories, I was once involved in the demolition of a block of derelict guest houses in a famous north west resort, even though they had been trashed I could kind of feel the happy memories of days gone by, I also get this feeling when I am abroad on holiday, it's almost if the wall can soak up emotions

I just stayed in the almost-200-year-old Royal Norfolk Hotel in Bognor Regis, so googled to see if it was haunted. It didn't come up, but the Royal Norfolk Hotel in Folkestone did.

How is this for a hotel review?

Ghost in Room 22

It was a perfect place to be for a weekend as a family. We spent only one night and thank God for that. My boys spent the night in room 22 whereby some ghostly figure kept appearing through the wall, waving its arm on the wall and hanging before the TV. I was quite shocked of what my teenage boys had to go through that night .The younger boy is completely upset and worse still the following morning the ghost appeared again this time on the wall next to cupboard and like a whirlwind dissappeard through the wall.
I feel that the management should have informed us in advance of the ghost affaire and to find out if we were ready to take such rooms. We arrived early around 9am by eurotunnel so we had plenty of time to find accomodation elsewhere.

Last edited:
I just stayed in the almost-200-year-old Royal Norfolk Hotel in Bognor Regis, so googled to see if it was haunted. It didn't come up, but the Royal Norfolk Hotel in Folkestone did.

How is this for a hotel review?

Ghost in Room 22

It was a perfect place to be for a weekend as a family. We spent only one night and thank God for that. My boys spent the night in room 22 whereby some ghostly figure kept appearing through the wall, waving its arm on the wall and hanging before the TV. I was quite shocked of what my teenage boys had to go through that night .The younger boy is completely upset and worse still the following morning the ghost appeared again this time on the wall next to cupboard and like a whirlwind dissappeard through the wall.
I feel that the management should have informed us in advance of the ghost affaire and to find out if we were ready to take such rooms. We arrived early around 9am by eurotunnel so we had plenty of time to find accomodation elsewhere.
So they are after a free nights stay and perhaps some compensation? Good Luck with proving it

However the darker side of it, it could be a sponsored review, i.e he owners of the hotel had something to do with the review, haunted hotels and pubs make a fortune from the gullible

Morning peeps just been rereading the thread on the haunted knaresborough hotel.
I was born in knaresborough and lived on a large councilestate there i posted a thread about seeing summat in a large hedge really put the fear of god up me. Any way talking to a friend off the same estate who told me that the milkman for the place regularly saw the ghost of a man on horseback. I had never heard this story before I asked why he didn’t say anything and he said what to you load of p*ss takers

Morning peeps just been rereading the thread on the haunted knaresborough hotel.
I was born in knaresborough and lived on a large councilestate there i posted a thread about seeing summat in a large hedge really put the fear of god up me. Any way talking to a friend off the same estate who told me that the milkman for the place regularly saw the ghost of a man on horseback. I had never heard this story before I asked why he didn’t say anything and he said what to you load of p*ss takers
Could you link to your post about the "summit in the large hedge" please?

(sorry, not hotels I know)

Hi Paul I will have a go but pretty naff with computer stuff
Okay here goes.I used to live on the manor road estate when i was a teenager.
I was walking back to my house one summer night about 10 pm just having a last cigarette before going inside.
When I heard a creaking/rustling noise coming from a large privet hedge on my left.i stopped about 2 meters away from it and a long thin white arm came out of it and i could see a top of a head.what was really weird was it was kind off shining and hissing at this stage the hedge was rocking quite violently. at this point I was off like a shot back up the road and went around the block to my home.
Here it is and that is freaky...!

Been thinking about it what ever it was was very thin muscle definition really clear it seemed to be stuck/trapped within the hedge.the hedge it self was about 6 to 7 feet tall and was behind a low brick wall and 2 to 3feet wide and really swaying side to side and also in a rolling motion. I could clearly see one long thin arm bent at the elbow and the top of a bald head (left arm) ? Also shining shimmering.plus long thin finger’s

Been thinking about it what ever it was was very thin muscle definition really clear it seemed to be stuck/trapped within the hedge.the hedge it self was about 6 to 7 feet tall and was behind a low brick wall and 2 to 3feet wide and really swaying side to side and also in a rolling motion. I could clearly see one long thin arm bent at the elbow and the top of a bald head (left arm) ? Also shining shimmering.plus long thin finger’s
Sounds like a Alien ?

My local History Group have been compiling stories from local pubs and hotels and it's going to be a book! Well, probably a pamphlet, but this message went up on Facebook today...

'
Last call for any more ghost stories or encounters in town. We are pulling the book together in preparation for printing.
So far the Black Swan and Kings Head Inn have been amazing for spooky tales
1f642.png
but nothing from our other pubs…
Thanks to all those who have allowed access to their attics, cellars and scary corners - it certainly is a fascinating topic!

I'll let you know if anything more is forthcoming.

Hi sabresonic hmm no don’t think so more nature spirit thing I think.
Looking forward to the book catseye please keep me updated
Well the book has been published, somewhere. It's called Hiding in the Dark but so far I've been unable to track down a copy, although the call has gone out for more stories for a follow up edition!

Will it be in Amazon catseye
It doesn't seem to be. I presume they self published it (publication was nothing to do with me, it's just my local history group so I've no idea how they went about it). I can't find it by googling either, so I'm assuming it's in local shops. I'll have a look next time I'm in town.

For obvious reasons I don't want to name the hotel I've just started working in but ...

I didn't start the conversation but two of the house maids were telling me the place is haunted. One of them claims to often see a shadow man wearing a hat at the top of the buildings in the area of a shared bathroom, she even says hello to him now and isn't scared she tells me. The other woman's more creeped out by the idea of ghosts and claims to have heard children laughing or crying in room 20. When I was alone with the chef this morning, he repeated their anecdotes to me almost word for word. He told me "This place is haunted as fuck but just ignore it and they won't bother you. I see stuff all the time."

I'd brought it up with him because this morning I spotted what I assumed was a waitress (a short figure, all black) on a monitor screen walking into the kitchen I was standing in through some doors from the restaurant. I looked up expecting to see the staff member enter the room but no one came in and on walking over to check, no one was in the restaurant either. I mentioned this to the house maid who just smiled and said "Oh, you've met my mate then!".

When I've been there a bit longer, I'm going to see if I can set my camera on a tripod in the area of the upstairs bathroom to see if I can capture anything and also bring in a K2 EMF meter and maybe sound digital sound recorders for room 20 when it isn't being occupied by guests.

For obvious reasons I don't want to name the hotel I've just started working in but ...

I didn't start the conversation but two of the house maids were telling me the place is haunted. One of them claims to often see a shadow man wearing a hat at the top of the buildings in the area of a shared bathroom, she even says hello to him now and isn't scared she tells me. The other woman's more creeped out by the idea of ghosts and claims to have heard children laughing or crying in room 20. When I was alone with the chef this morning, he repeated their anecdotes to me almost word for word. He told me "This place is haunted as fuck but just ignore it and they won't bother you. I see stuff all the time."

I'd brought it up with him because this morning I spotted what I assumed was a waitress (a short figure, all black) on a monitor screen walking into the kitchen I was standing in through some doors from the restaurant. I looked up expecting to see the staff member enter the room but no one came in and on walking over to check, no one was in the restaurant either. I mentioned this to the house maid who just smiled and said "Oh, you've met my mate then!".

When I've been there a bit longer, I'm going to see if I can set my camera on a tripod in the area of the upstairs bathroom to see if I can capture anything and also bring in a K2 EMF meter and maybe sound digital sound recorders for room 20 when it isn't being occupied by guests.
Do you know the brief history of the building?

Has it always been a hotel?

I kind of believe that Hotels, Pubs and other leisure sites tend to be magnets for hauntings, some places seem to have memories that are seeped into the very fabric of the building and perhaps even the landscape. if I ever visit an old one I can feel it, I once was in charge of demolishing an old guest house in a well known seaside resort, by the time I was surveying it, it was wreaked drug den but you could still feel the memories locked in the walls

Do you know the brief history of the building?

Has it always been a hotel?
I haven't looked into the history of the place yet but one of the staff have told me it's about 200 years old. It's in a seaside town but the boom time for holidaymakers wasn't until the 1880's so I'll be interested to look into it's history.

edit: scratch that, I've just looked it up and it was built in 1894 and opened in 1895 which puts in right in the middle of the tourism boom for the town.

Last edited:
…I'm going to see if I can set my camera on a tripod in the area of the upstairs bathroom…and maybe sound digital sound recorders for room 20…

“My cameras and sound recording gear were in those hotel rooms purely to record supernatural manifestations. And that, Your Worships, concludes my defence.”

maximus otter

Not to doubt your experience, Swifty, but is your monitor feed live live or does it sometimes glitch and run a display that's a few seconds (or even minutes) slow? I only ask because my monitor (so called!) at work above the tills is supposed to show live action of what's happening up the various aisles of the shop. Sometimes I look up and see someone in an aisle but when I look with my real eyes there's nobody there, because the camera is glitching and showing me something that happened maybe ten or twenty seconds ago. So I see a shape moving - nobody there - and then the person appears somewhere entirely else in the shop.

I don't know, good point and I'll ask the chef. Typically, it's the only monitor there that doesn't record.

(on a tangent, the owner of the place made me laugh today. He was grumbling saying "Someone's just described my hotel as 'cheap and cheerful'. We're not!. We're cheap and miserable.").

“My cameras and sound recording gear were in those hotel rooms purely to record supernatural manifestations. And that, Your Worships, concludes my defence.”

maximus otter
I've already thought about that. We're a bed and breakfast only so once our treasured guests have all fucked off out, that's when the room cleaning starts so there's no risk of pulling a James Brown and getting in trouble.

Over the last week I spent 3 nights with my wife at the reputedly-haunted Royal Albion Hotel in Brighton; it is a fine regency building built in 1826 and now a little worse-for-wear. We had been expecting foreign visitors to arrive early on Monday at Gatwick and had spent the night there - however, their last-leg flight in had been cancelled by Easyjet, so we were left in a quandary, not being able to stay at Gatwick again (the hotel had filled up), but wanting to be somewhere close enough to get there quickly. A few minutes on lastminute.com and I had booked a room at the Royal Albion for less than 50 quid, almost unheard of these days. Since it was a last minute room, we ended up in a basement room (not so bad at this time of year - we were on the seafront until gone 10pm, and out early in torrential rain to be back up to Gatwick by 8am to meet our incoming visitors). The basement, according to my books, is supposed to be the most haunted area. The room felt oppressive when I first entered, but this may have been down to slight feelings of claustrophobia. The feeling of oppression quickly faded, and we spent an uninterrupted night in the room. On Thursday, with our visitors due to fly out in the evening, I booked a room at the same hotel for another two nights (Thursday/Friday), and this time we hit jackpot with a fine and quirky room up in the attic level, with view over the pier and seafront, and a wooden staircase leading up to a little mezzanine with another bed and balcony railings. Again, nothing of note happened except the first morning when we headed out I turned off all the lights and double checked they were all off. A short while later I returned to the room (no more than 10 minutes or so), and the main light was switched on, which was a little odd, since the room was otherwise the same as I had left it and no staff were in evidence. So there you go, three nights in a haunted hotel, and nothing of note happened (unless you count the light switch).

Last edited:
Back