• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
If you can smell smoke and nobody else can, you probably need to see a doctor. It might just be sinusitis, but it could be symptomatic of an upcoming stroke, or of developing schizophrenia. On the other hand, maybe your wife is just having an affair with a smoker, in which case they are really bad at hiding their activities. Or perhaps you are one of those lucky people who has someone living in their walls rent free? As none of these possibilities are good, I would look into ruling each of them out via evidence.

Well it's not an affair as the smell comes and goes as it pleases and our walls are too thin for lodgers. However, I do think it's related to our Hamster. It's a kind of smoky, musky, heady, weird smell. But it might be worth getting checked out.

"Doctor, Doctor, I can smell burning toast?"
*There's a punchline in there somewhere*

I remember brown paper and vinegar being lauded as some sort of cure. I think for anything from a cold to multiple fractures, God knows what you were meant to do with it though. Wrap yourself in it? Eat it? Suck the vinegar off the paper?

Here's one for the cold weather, Northern Hemisphere: all the heat in your body escapes through the top of your head, so wear a hat if you go out in freezing temperatures. If that were true you could go outside in the snow wearing nothing but a hat and be perfectly warm.
I remember as a kid hearing this—that in winter people lose most of their body heat from their heads. I assumed, or it was implied, that somehow heads generated more heat and so lost more heat when uncovered.
Years later, I heard on a radio program that this was a mistinterpretation of (IIRC) the conclusions of a US military study. The researchers found that, of the body heat lost by their research subjects, most was lost through their heads, because, unlike the rest of their bodies, their heads were left uncovered. They wore coats and boots (and pants), but no hats. I believe, (again, IIRC) that the Rule of Nines referenced by Maximus Otter is consistent with this study's findings, in that the head, when uncovered, loses no more heat than any other part of the body would if it were of equal size.

When I was a school Dinner Lady (in charge of small children at lunchtimes) kids'd fall over in the playground and bump their heads. The treatment was to sit them on a bench for ten minutes and give them a wet paper towel to press over the affected spot.

Of course the paper towel did nothing but the bench time was a chance to observe their condition. If their hand were to drop away from their forehead and the paper towel should slip to the floor it was time to worry about concussion.

Luckily this problem never arose but I sometimes wonder if those children, now grown and maybe with kids of their own, remember Mrs Snail's magic paper towels.

My nana used to drop a cold key (think old fashioned larger key) down the back of my t-shirt when I had a nose bleed. Apparently it would stop it!

Also she was one of them that believed butter would help a burn. This one makes me feel sick cos all I can think of is frying skin.

Andrew

My nana used to drop a cold key (think old fashioned larger key) down the back of my t-shirt when I had a nose bleed. Apparently it would stop it!

Also she was one of them that believed butter would help a burn. This one makes me feel sick cos all I can think of is frying skin.

Andrew
The cold key down the shirt is supposed to make you gasp, which will, it is hoped, stop the bleeding.

The cold key down the shirt is supposed to make you gasp, which will, it is hoped, stop the bleeding.

Yes, I do remember gasping. I suppose there might be some truth/science to it, ive just tried gasping through my mouth and I can feel my nose clench and thus I take it the blood vessels clench too ???

I remember as a kid hearing this—that in winter people lose most of their body heat from their heads. I assumed, or it was implied, that somehow heads generated more heat and so lost more heat when uncovered.
Years later, I heard on a radio program that this was a mistinterpretation of (IIRC) the conclusions of a US military study. The researchers found that, of the body heat lost by their research subjects, most was lost through their heads, because, unlike the rest of their bodies, their heads were left uncovered. They wore coats and boots (and pants), but no hats. I believe, (again, IIRC) that the Rule of Nines referenced by Maximus Otter is consistent with this study's findings, in that the head, when uncovered, loses no more heat than any other part of the body would if it were of equal size.
Yes, that is pretty much what I thought. The myth was mentioned in a book I was just reading too!

My sources inform me that some people believe that according to Chinese medicine, masturbation in men is good for the immune system, but bad for the kidneys.

That's why my immune system is as strong as my right arm.

My sources inform me that some people believe that according to Chinese medicine, masturbation in men is good for the immune system, but bad for the kidneys. That's why my immune system is as strong as my right arm.
In Taoist internal alchemy, male ejaculation is believed to reduce lifespan. They do a series of sperm retention exercises, and are encouraged to have sex without ever ejaculating as a means of obtaining the Yin principle from the women they have sex with. Yep, you can hoover that sperm back up into your prostate if you meditate during sex. Who knew?

you can hoover that sperm back up into your prostate

That would be just a short pause, as it continues its journey up your spine to awaken Kundelini and play pinball with your Chakras on its way to illuminating your brain . . .

There is always a note of caution about the danger of getting it lodged in your eyes. And that's just the internal route! :oops:

In Taoist internal alchemy, male ejaculation is believed to reduce lifespan. They do a series of sperm retention exercises, and are encouraged to have sex without ever ejaculating as a means of obtaining the Yin principle from the women they have sex with. Yep, you can hoover that sperm back up into your prostate if you meditate during sex. Who knew?

Do the French not call an orgasm ''the little death''?

My sources inform me that some people believe that according to Chinese medicine, masturbation in men is good for the immune system, but bad for the kidneys.

That's why my immune system is as strong as my right arm.
It is good for the ears too. Men working from home and enjoying a little "gentleman's relaxation" break will develop super-sensitive hearing, to detect the sound of their spouse/kids/housemates' key in the lock. Apparently.

I'm sure I've posted this before...so it obviously doesn't help the old memory.

It is good for the ears too. Men working from home and enjoying a little "gentleman's relaxation" break will develop super-sensitive hearing, to detect the sound of their spouse/kids/housemates' key in the lock. Apparently.

I'm sure I've posted this before...so it obviously doesn't help the old memory.
Fully half of all Fesshole content is inspired by this process. :nods:

I remember brown paper and vinegar being lauded as some sort of cure. I think for anything from a cold to multiple fractures, God knows what you were meant to do with it though. Wrap yourself in it? Eat it? Suck the vinegar off the paper?
A good strong cuppa tea will sort it. Always has, always will :)

I have been experiencing strange phantom smells for about a year. At first it was cigarette smoke, then a kind if burning rubbery smell and now it's a general smoke/dust/spice smell that sometimes becomes almost unbearable. I thought it was a new plant we had bought or maybe a neighbour standing on their balcony and smoking but we have since moved and neither the plant nor the neighbour came along for the ride. It was about the time we also bought a hamster and I wondered if it was his musky smell which I could pick up on but then I started smellig it in the car too.

However, I don't think I've ever smelled it when I'm at other places or out shopping etc. If I did then I would probably need an MRI.

A possible candidate is a fakir effect I do called Human Blockhead where you drive a 6 inch nail into your nose. The smells started about 6 months after I started doing the effect. I haven't injured myself doing it but maybe I've made my nose more sensitive.
Sounds like a Gauloises to me.
Is your wife friendly with a Frenchman perchance?

Pregnancy has its own rich health urban mythology.
Can remember mentioning to my late mother in law that I'd always go off coffee when pregnant, to which she retorted 'That's an odd wives' tale!'
:dunno:

She did however believe that lifting a shopping basket from the floor would inevitably snap the umbilical cord and also that heartburn indicated that the baby's hair was growing.
:thought:

Pregnancy has its own rich health urban mythology.
Can remember mentioning to my late mother in law that I'd always go off coffee when pregnant, to which she retorted 'That's an odd wives' tale!'
:dunno:

She did however believe that lifting a shopping basket from the floor would inevitably snap the umbilical cord and also that heartburn indicated that the baby's hair was growing.
:thought:
All 3 of mine were born with hair on their heads - the Teenager was particularly hirsute (she had enough hair for pigtails by the time she was 6 months old) - but I never had heartburn whilst incubating them.

Back