• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Olive oil lubricates your joints.

I get through about a million litres a week and my joints are shot.
Olive oil In your joints is not a good idea - It makes them soggy & hard to burn.

Have you noticed how much it’s shot up in price recently? The olive harvest has been disastrous for the past 2 years in Spain, due to lack of rain I think. A good idea to stock up now - I think it’ll only continue to increase in price.

Olive oil In your joints is not a good idea - It makes them soggy & hard to burn.
True. Mind you the guys in Vietnam used to dip joints in liquid opium apparently. Must have let it dry out first.
Have you noticed how much it’s shot up in price recently? The olive harvest has been disastrous for the past 2 years in Spain, due to lack of rain I think. A good idea to stock up now - I think it’ll only continue to increase in price.
It has. I have given up even looking at it in the main supermarkets and buy it from lidl now. They do a reasonable range and it is very good.
They have Greek and Italian ones as well.

The Greeks are the heaviest consumers of olive oil- about 2 litres a month.

And keeping on the subject- putting oil in your ears. I don't think that does much either, except clog them up.

Prescribed for some people on some occasions to help with cleaning.
I used to think it helped me, but I don't use it anymore. I've found a cotton bud dabbed in tcp gives more relief (after the initial agony slight stinging period, anyway).

I used to think it helped me, but I don't use it anymore. I've found a cotton bud dabbed in tcp gives more relief (after the initial agony slight stinging period, anyway).

cotton buds def bad lolololol.

I think it would depend on what I dropped . A biscuit, or something hard, I’d probably eat if I dropped it at home but I wouldn’t scrape something off the floor like jelly and then eat it.
It also would depend on how clean the floor is that the food was dropped on.

I have been in the company of people who went by the 5 second rule, that is if you pick it up off the floor before 5 seconds it is safe to eat.

No 5 second rule for me, dirty is dirty.

Then someone said you have no idea what happens in restaurant’s kitchens.

I hope restaurants are careful ?

I have to say food in a Chinese restaurant is steaming hot from the wok.

I have been in the company of people who went by the 5 second rule, that is if you pick it up off the floor before 5 seconds it is safe to eat.

No 5 second rule for me, dirty is dirty.

Then someone said you have no idea what happens in restaurant’s kitchens.

I hope restaurants are careful ?

I have to say food in a Chinese restaurant is steaming hot from the wok.
My Dad was a chef. Escoffier trained. He had high standards - I can remember him laying in (verbally) to Charles Forte over his exploitation. You didn't mess with my dad, ex bare knuckle fighter and Royal Engineers.

The trouble is, cleanliness costs time which costs money. Better you don't know what goes on in cheap restaurants - in that respect you are better off in fast food chains who are aware they are under constant scrutiny and behave accordingly.

Last edited:
My Dad was a chef. Escoffier trained. He had high standards - I can remember him laying in to Charles Forte over his exploitation. You didn't mess with my dad, ex bare knuckle fighter and Royal Engineers.

The trouble is, cleanliness costs time which costs money. Better you don't know what goes on in cheap restaurants - in that respect you are better off in fast food chains who are aware they are under constant scrutiny and behave accordingly.
I deliver to flats on my round that are above restaurants but the stairs to the flats are around the back. You wouldn’t believe some of the sights I’ve seen. A box of fish exposed to the elements, large bags of potatoes sitting outside for days,a man sitting slicing green peppers into a bucket with a fag hanging out of his mouth and no gloves on etc.etc.

My Dad was a chef. Escoffier trained. He had high standards - I can remember him laying in (verbally) to Charles Forte over his exploitation. You didn't mess with my dad, ex bare knuckle fighter and Royal Engineers.

Remember when they put hidden cameras in the kitchen of a very posh restaurant in London and the staff were filmed putting peas up their noses and snorting them out onto the plates?

This is why I think eating out is very overrated.

Remember when they put hidden cameras in the kitchen of a very posh restaurant in London and the staff were filmed putting peas up their noses and snorting them out onto the plates?

This is why I think eating out is very overrated.
It’s a technique pioneered by Escoffier. He claimed that every pea served in his restaurant was ‘individually snorted’ although some doubt this, & more recent thinking puts the figure as low as one in 10 or even 20.

It’s a technique pioneered by Escoffier. He claimed that every pea served in his restaurant was ‘individually snorted’ although some doubt this, & more recent thinking puts the figure as low as one in 10 or even 20.
I thought I'd heard it on Radio Four years ago when they were interviewing two chefs about such things.
I remember one of them saying that if you ever complain in a restaurant, never carry on eating the food they return.

I thought I'd heard it on Radio Four years ago when they were interviewing two chefs about such things.
I remember one of them saying that if you ever complain in a restaurant, never carry on eating the food they return.
My husband who worked as dishwasher in a restaurant as a teen told me this as well. His advice was NEVER send any food back.

You're not wrong.

And I've noticed that, where as before, it made no difference to the price whether, say, a tin of tuna was in spring water/brine/sunflower oil or olive oil (I've never worked out how they can do that), it now does go up in price depending, (or is doing at the moment in the local sainsburys in any case).

You're not wrong.

And I've noticed that, where as before, it made no difference to the price whether, say, a tin of tuna was in spring water/brine/sunflower oil or olive oil (I've never worked out how they can do that), it now does go up in price depending, (or is doing at the moment in the local sainsburys in any case).

I eat (not quite drink) prodigious quantities of olive oil and feel subjectively (without testing) that it does me noticeable good.

Having heard of price rises in Europe, I inquired with the quartermaster of our household whether she'd noticed an increase (in Korea), but she said that if there had been one, it was very small. Most of the stuff we buy is Spanish, too, so perhaps someone further up the chain has been absorbing the price rise in order to maintain consumption?

I eat (not quite drink) prodigious quantities of olive oil and feel subjectively (without testing) that it does me noticeable good.

Having heard of price rises in Europe, I inquired with the quartermaster of our household whether she'd noticed an increase (in Korea), but she said that if there had been one, it was very small. Most of the stuff we buy is Spanish, too, so perhaps someone further up the chain has been absorbing the price rise in order to maintain consumption?
Possibly.

Filippo Berio was always considered one of the better 'cheaper' makes if you see what I mean and it was around £5 for 500ml, but very often reduced to £2.50 (often enough that I never had to pay the full price).

I just checked and it's now £8.60!

Lidl does some good Greek/Italian ones, but they've also gone up now. Still, not as much as the 'main' supermarkets though.

Attachments

• lid.jpg
    lid.jpg
    564 KB · Views: 9
Back