• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Hollywood's Pointless Remakes, Reboots, Prequels & Sequels

I want to see the Bollywood version of Matrix.....I'm wondering where they inserted the singing and dancing and if they filmed the routines in bullet time.

Ice cold in Alex remake

I heard a nasty rumour the other day that filming is to start on an american remake of Ice cold in Alex.

It will aparently be set in Afganistan and sir jhon mills's part will be played by mark wahlberg and antony quaile's part is to be played, bizarly, by sangive bascar (sp?) of goodness gracious me / kumars fame in his first hollywood role.

The Alex in question will be an american run nonalcoholic bar in Karbel where mark wahlberg lusts after getting a cold cokeacola.

dear God no !:eek!!!!: :eek!!!!: :eek!!!!:

I actually think that 'The Wicker Man' could be re - made better. I believe that the original isn't a particularly good picture. It could have been, but it isn't. Edward Woodward was always dire.

People like it, I think, for its evocative 1970s filmic style. Fair enough. Maybe people also like it for the ways in which it doesn't really work - the cod accents and the faltering storyline. Also fair enough. Fans also like seeing Christopher Lee in his Peter Cook footballer haircut. Definitely, fair enough.

But as a picture? The story has much more potential and potential - appeal than was ever realised in the original. It's full of holes - one of the reasons it has cult appeal since it exists currently as one of those films which nobody can believe ever got finished.

Nothing wrong with re making films. There are not many examples of re makes which work - but the possibility exists. Films aren't sacred. Sometimes a good idea can be re interpreted better. Witness, for example, 'The Thomas Crown Affair'. The re make is a much classier film than the original.

but... but... the wicker man is a fucking ace picture!

Niles Calder said:
Nah! Clint for Johnny Alpha!

the actor for playing dread should be an unknown actor

and as for johnny alpha it should be a cornish actor as alpha was born and brought up in cornwall

of course rouge trooper wil have to be played by a yank :rolleyes:

the southers are now americans and the norts are now iraqis:rolleyes:

Dear God, No! Not Ice Cold in Alex???? Is nothing sacred????:(

Although I think Ocean's Eleven remake is actually better than the Brat Pack original.

Val Lewton's Isle of the Dead may not be a masterpiece exactly though it is
a nicely morbid offbeat piece of work with one or two great moments. It
showed up on BBC2 in January. Seeking a bit of background, I found two
things. Unexpectedly the full screen-play is on-line here:

http://home.earthlink.net/~sangun/isleofthedead.html

Less welcome was this news item:

http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hp&cf=prev&id=1808404575

Release Date: Unknown

Distributor: Radio Pictures (RKO) (Note: It's unknown if Radio/RKO intends to distribute this film itself; or if it will be handled by another company)

Production Company: Bigel/Mailer Films (Black and White, Two Girls and a Guy)

Cast: Burt Reynolds; other cast not announced yet.

Cast Notes: The nature of Reynolds' character hasn't been announced yet. It would seem likely he would play a role similar to Boris Karloff's in the first film, but he played a Greek general Nikolas Pherides. It's possible that the modern setting may change this character.

Director: Burt Reynolds (Sharky's Machine, The End)

Screenwriter: Unknown.

Based Upon: This is a remake of the classic 1945 Boris Karloff horror film, which told the tale of a Greek island during the 1912 war under a state of quarantine for the plague. This version will be modernized.

Premise: A group of college students studying abroad on a Greek island discover a spooky cemetery, and a young woman who was buried... alive. The locals believe the girl is possessed by a "vorvolaka", a vampire demon...

Remake Note: This is one of three remakes that Bigel/Mailer has signed to produce from RKO's library (Clash by Night and Age of Consent are the other two projects). One of those three films will start filming late this year, but it's not yet confirmed which it will be.

Filming: There's no production start date yet, but the budget will be around $10 million.

Genre: Horror, Teen

Sadly, I did not make this up. :cross eye

leave lewton alone

They should go look at the crap remake of Cat People before embarking on this ill advised project.

Re: Ice cold in Alex remake

Oll_Lewis said:
I heard a nasty rumour the other day that filming is to start on an american remake of Ice cold in Alex.

It will aparently be set in Afganistan and sir jhon mills's part will be played by mark wahlberg and antony quaile's part is to be played, bizarly, by sangive bascar (sp?) of goodness gracious me / kumars fame in his first hollywood role.

The Alex in question will be an american run nonalcoholic bar in Karbel where mark wahlberg lusts after getting a cold cokeacola.

These people must die. There can be no mercy.

Ice Cold in Alex!

Isle of the Dead!

Kill the bastards!

:furious:

There have been some decent remakes though, Cronenberg's The Fly for one and ummm... Yeah, so okay I just wanted to mention that film.

remake remodel

Yes that's true. Abel Ferrara's Army base retelling of Invasion Of The Body Snatchers was quite worthwhile.

Re: remake remodel

condreye buch said:
Yes that's true. Abel Ferrara's Army base retelling of Invasion Of The Body Snatchers was quite worthwhile.

That was pretty cool but it was Abel Ferrara who can make a good movie (a long as Madona isn't involved.)

Re: Ice cold in Alex remake

Lord_Flashheart said:

Where the hell do you get this drivel from? I've never heard such a contrived load of rubbish in my entire life. It just looks like someone has had a good laugh inventing the worst possible remake scenario and you've swallowed it whole.

I've never heard of this and never expect to.

On the subject of the Italian Job remake, Ed Norton has effectively disowned the film, saying that he was forced to do it for contractual reasons and that people shouldn't see it.

Re: Re: Ice cold in Alex remake

Adrian Veidt said:
On the subject of the Italian Job remake, Ed Norton has effectively disowned the film, saying that he was forced to do it for contractual reasons and that people shouldn't see it.

Supposedly each member of the cast was given a brand, spanking new mini cooper and Ed sent his back....He's one unhappy bunny about this film.

Re: Re: Re: Ice cold in Alex remake

River_Styx said:
Supposedly each member of the cast was given a brand, spanking new mini cooper and Ed sent his back....He's one unhappy bunny about this film.

that's because it's EVIL! EVIL DO YOU HEAR ME! EVIL!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Ice cold in Alex remake

The Virgin Queen said:
that's because it's EVIL! EVIL DO YOU HEAR ME! EVIL!

It'll still be better than the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake they're doing. Michael Bay for fucks sake?

bay's massacre

Oh no. Next we'll have Joel Schumacher's Last House On The Left.

Re: bay's massacre

condreye buch said:
Oh no. Next we'll have Joel Schumacher's Last House On The Left.

Closely followed by George Lucas's Straw Dogs with all new CGI rape scene.

Sorry boys but they got there before you:

Both The Night of the Preacher and Carnival of Souls have receved awfull remakes. Carnival of Souls was made into a cheap horror flick with lots of blood. Well that's in the spirit of the origional isn't it?

:rolleyes:

But then who can seriously sit there and say that they hadn't worked out the ending to Carnival of Souls in the first thirty minutes?

River_Styx said:
But then who can seriously sit there and say that they hadn't worked out the ending to Carnival of Souls in the first thirty minutes?

I never realy thought the point of the movie was it's story ;)

I just loved it as a surealistic take on guilt and redemption.

Oh yea: and it has all that spooky organ music I love.

Back