• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Hollywood's Pointless Remakes, Reboots, Prequels & Sequels

Re: Re: Ice cold in Alex remake

Adrian Veidt said:
Where the hell do you get this drivel from? I've never heard such a contrived load of rubbish in my entire life. It just looks like someone has had a good laugh inventing the worst possible remake scenario and you've swallowed it whole.

I've never heard of this and never expect to.

yeah, that person who made that up was me :rofl:

sorry guys.:D

Candace of souls

I read in Midnight Marquee - a Baltimore genre film mag- that the star of Carnival Of Souls was such a dyed in the wool Method actress that her air of bewilderment throughout is partly due to not having enough time to work out her motivation etc. for every breath she draws. That said, I like Herk Harvey's grubby little gem and don't think it matters whether or not you guess the ending.

Re: Candace of souls

condreye buch said:
I read in Midnight Marquee - a Baltimore genre film mag- that the star of Carnival Of Souls was such a dyed in the wool Method actress that her air of bewilderment throughout is partly due to not having enough time to work out her motivation etc. for every breath she draws. That said, I like Herk Harvey's grubby little gem and don't think it matters whether or not you guess the ending.

my favorate bit of trivia relating to it is that the guy who made it ran a cadalac (?) dealership and when he sold a car would make another bit of the movie.

He also used cars from the lot in background shots wich just makes the movie more creepy as everyone in America seems to be driving the same car.

:eek!!!!:

Apparently they're planning to remake 'Harvey' with John Travolta as Elwood.

Pass the shotgun Mildred...

I can't quite believe this, but it was posted on Empireonline...

http://www.empireonline.co.uk/news/news.asp?4764

Carry On Daniella:
The Carry On franchise has never been known for its quality acting but it would seem that it's plumbing new depths with the latest mooted outing. Daniella Westbrook is reported to have been cast in the role made famous by Barbara Windsor in the 32nd film, Carry On London. Burt Reynolds, Dale Winton and Graham Norton will also appear in the film, which (we're sorry to say) begins shooting next year.

:eek!!!!::wtf:

Out of curiosity, I watched the trailer for The Italian Job remake on the Apple Quicktime site.

I have to say, it has almost nothing in common with the original film. And the things it does have in common seem to have been put in to try and link it to the original.

What I can gather from the trailer: The central characters do some kind of job in Italy, and are betrayed by Edward Norton's character who kills Cameron Diaz's character's father and makes off with the money. The others then concoct an elaborate plan involving the new BMW Mini Coopers to steal the money back from Norton's character in Los Angeles (including a chase sequence in that bloody sewer).

As far as I can tell, they set the teaser in Italy so they could keep the title, and then used the Minis to allude to the original film (and also to get money out of BMW), but otherwise it's a completely different film. Why didn't they just make a completely new film, with no mention of the original at all? It probably wouldn't have earned them the hatred of thousands of fans.

alb said:
I actually think that 'The Wicker Man' could be re - made better. I believe that the original isn't a particularly good picture. It could have been, but it isn't. Edward Woodward was always dire....The story has much more potential and potential - appeal than was ever realised in the original. It's full of holes - one of the reasons it has cult appeal since it exists currently as one of those films which nobody can believe ever got finished.
Has anyone else here been forced by small children to sit through Balamory ?

Well, I have a rather cunning plan...;)

stu neville said:
Has anyone else here been forced by small children to sit through Balamory ?

Well, I have a rather cunning plan...;)
indeed i have...... i see the way ur thinking..not PC plum surely!

sidecar_jon said:

there is a guy who lives in a pink castle...who "makes things" and wears a skirt.

sidecar_jon said:
Well, the bloke just has to be a virgin, for a start...

It all works you know ;).

stu neville said:
Well, the bloke just has to be a virgin, for a start...

It all works you know ;).

that woman is scary too....and what have YOU been doing?... she says it like a drunk hankering after a fight in a Glasgow pub.

If you need a professional male virgin how about Sir Cliff of Richard?

Hey kids! Why don't we do the sacrifice right here?

It's not like you'd be upset to see him burnt slowly to death.
In fact I'd pay money to see it twice.

A day.

Every day.

For months.

Does anyone want to nominate films that were improved when they were re-made, or films where the origonal and the re-make both stand up on their own.

The only ones that spring to mind are 'The Thomas Crown Affair' and 'Ocean's Elven' but both of those have already been mentioned.

Cujo

Re: Remakes...

For remakes that were as good as the original I'd nominate John Carpenter's 'The Thing' the remake of Howard Hawks 'Thing from another World.'

The originally is arguably more claustophobic, but the remake reinstates the shape shifting abilities that the creature possessed in John Campbell's original short story 'Who goes there?'

I'd also nominate Philip Kaufman's 1978 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers' as being as paranoid an creepy as Don Siegel's 1956 version. The films are very different in approach to the basic story, but both stand up well on their own.

Abel Ferrara's The Body Snatchers (1994) - is OK, but not a patch on the original or the first remake tending to substitute explosions for sublety.

It's more fun to kick the crap out of bad remakes, and sadly there are plenty of them with more on the way (Texas Chainsaw Massacre for one). Didn't see the Italian Job, but it seems to me that Hollywood is about taking ideas from original films/novels, giving it the same title and making another extruded production line popcorn seller.
My beef this week is with The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (LXG for those with ADD), a superb graphic novel I've just finished reading that coincides with its Hollywood release as a Major Motion Picture. I was looking forward to it, then I read the reviews. I haven't seen it. They've taken the basic premise, thrown away the source material and made another dim-witted actioner which insults the audience. In no particular order:
1) Adding major characters which weren't in the original in order to fit the Hollywood mould. i.e. Tom Sawyer, so we can have a father/son style schmaltzy relationship between Quatermain (Connery) and Sawyer. Probably also adds a little sex appeal for the teenage girls, not to mention a principal American actor.
2) Adding the character of Dorian Grey so there can be some love interest (we have to have a love story, don't we? Otherwise the film is guaranteed to tank) :rolleyes:
3) Car chases in the streets of Venice when Venice doesn't have any streets.
4) Ignore the fact the graphic novel has a female as the team leader (who, incidentally, doesn't have any vampire-related superpowers)
5) The Nautilus submarine cruising the canals of Venice when it's the size of a Trident class submarine.
6) Change the entire plot
7) Change the location

There's probably a bunch more which only wasting money and time on seeing the film would reveal. I'm guessing the sly references to the darker side of Imperial Britain have gone too as it would go be considered to be over the heads of an American audience.

Why bother making it if you're going to ignore the source material.

On The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, I don't mind them adding Dorian Grey so much, as he (at least to my mind) meets the requirements for a member of the League. Tom Sawyer, though, doesn't. My theory was that they wanted to add a character that a large proportion of Americans had heard of. (Seen the ads? "An Invisible Man, Dracula's Bride, Captain Nemo, Dorian Grey, Sean Connery!")

If they do a sequel, will we get to see the sex scene between Mina and Quatermain?

anome said:
On The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, I don't mind them adding Dorian Grey so much, as he (at least to my mind) meets the requirements for a member of the League. Tom Sawyer, though, doesn't. My theory was that they wanted to add a character that a large proportion of Americans had heard of. (Seen the ads? "An Invisible Man, Dracula's Bride, Captain Nemo, Dorian Grey, Sean Connery!")

If they do a sequel, will we get to see the sex scene between Mina and Quatermain?

dorian Grey: fine.

But Mina's no longer the horo of the peice?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A woman leading a group of men?

What are you, some kind of European liberal.

We don't like your kind round here, do we Bubba?

You'll be putting a *shudder* black man in charge next.

Now look what you've done Billie Joe's fainted.

Re: Re: Remakes...

Timble said:
For remakes that were as good as the original I'd nominate John Carpenter's 'The Thing' the remake of Howard Hawks 'Thing from another World.'

A classic example of a remake that's vastly superior to the original, IMHO.

Same applies to Cronenberg's The Fly and the 2001 Ocean's Eleven.

Re: Re: Re: Remakes...

Originally posted by Conners_76 (Re:'The Thing')
A classic example of a remake that's vastly superior to the original, IMHO.
I'd far rather watch the original, if only for the dialogue.

Although, it's not such a good nihilistic, self-destructive, psychotic, paranoid parable for modern America as the remake. :)

Maybe it's about time they re-made The Wizard of Oz.
Tim Burton could do it or maybe Ang Lee.

River_Styx said:
Maybe it's about time they re-made The Wizard of Oz.
Tim Burton could do it or maybe Ang Lee.

If Tim Burton did it the Scare Crow would be a imposibly good looking goth boy and Dorothy would be an Earth Mother type dressed in white (see every Tim Burton movie other than that crap one with the monkies.)

I'd like to see David Lynch's 'Wizard of Oz', or David Cronenberg's.

The original is deeply weird already, think what either of these people would do with the Munchkins singing 'Ding, dong the witch is dead...:eek:

Timble said:
I'd like to see David Lynch's 'Wizard of Oz', or David Cronenberg's.

The original is deeply weird already, think what either of these people would do with the Munchkins singing 'Ding, dong the witch is dead...:eek:

Don't you've got me fantasising already.

Lynch's already 'did' the Wizard of Oz in that movie...erm...Wild at Heart?

No munchkins. There was a reason nobody tried to stop them from killing themselves.

The Virgin Queen said:
Don't you've got me fantasising already.

Lynch's already 'did' the Wizard of Oz in that movie...erm...Wild at Heart?

Yes that's it. That's what set me thinking.

Timble said:
Yes that's it. That's what set me thinking.

ruby slipers, fairy godmothers and all. Lynch's best movie (more fun than Blue Velvet, makes alot more sence than Erazerhead.)

Back