• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
but, suffice it to say, that our guesses at the possible twist would almost certainly have made for a more entertaining conclusion than the non-ending, which is sure to leave you feeling extremely short-changed here.
Noise is basically a 90 minute shaggy dog story that feels far longer than its run-time and I wish I hadn't bothered with.
A 3/10 from me.
So I thought it was only me who missed the ending. I agree, it doesn't deliver on its premise at all.

The Black Phone: Not your usual Evil Clown (he describes himself as a part-time magician), the Grabber (Ethan Hawke) is scary, black top hat, half-face clown make up and a devil mask, rives a black van, uses a bunch of black balloons as a prop in his abduction of boys. Filmed in faded tones to give it the feel of it's 1978 setting we see flyers for missing children as well as supposed home movies and stock film from the era. The film also shows some savage bullying, Finney (Mason Thames) is targeted by school bullies but is defended by Robin (Miguel Cazarez Mora) who beats up older bullies. When Robin is abducted the bullies target Finney again and also batter his sister Gwen (Madeleine McGraw) who comes to his aid. Finney is then snatched but a black phone in his basement prison mysteriously rings, he is contact with the ghosts of the lost boys. Gwen also has a psychic streak, she dreams about the abductions, sees details of them. This attracts the attention of police and annoys her alcoholic father.

Hawke exudes raw evil in his portrayal of the Grabber, he sets traps to give himself an excuse to beat the boys, the lack of jump scares is more than compensated for by his very existence as a captor. There are quite a few scary scenes as the ghosts appear like zombies or just with blood dripping from cut throats. Finney's time in the cellar seems to be one log period of terror even if it;s interspersed by his attempts to escape. Not a folm you will forget in a hurry. Great performances from Hawke and the young actors. Directed and Co-Written by Scott Derrickson (Sinister) from a short story by Joe Hill. 9/10.

In cinemas
Watched it tonight on Sky.
The subtle sub-plot as to why the dad became an alcoholic mess and didn't want his daughter to display any psychic abilities, gave the film some real depth, but I must confess that I found the supernatural manifestations slightly too OTT for my credulity. Well-acted and memorable though, with Hawke making an exceptionally chilling villain. I would probably rate it as 7.5/10.

Watched it tonight on Sky.
The subtle sub-plot as to why the dad became an alcoholic mess and didn't want his daughter to display any psychic abilities, gave the film some real depth, but I just confess that I found the supernatural manifestations slightly too OTT for my credulity. Well-acted and memorable though, with Hawke making an exceptionally chilling villain. I would probably rate it as 7.5/10.

On reflection I may have overegged it at 9/10, lets say 8/10.

Infinity Pool: Mia Goth runs the gamut of emotions once more just like in Pearl, going from mild to to worrisome, to sociopathic, ending up as downright psychotic. Here she plays Gabi Bauer, a supposed fan of author James Foster's (Alexander Skarsgard) sole novel. They meet up in an exclusive resort on the island of Li Tolqa. James is accompanied by his wife Em (Cleopatra Coleman{ and they're having marital troubles. This isn't helped when Gabi along with her manipulative partner Alban (Jalil Lespert) invite them to go for dinner and drinks outside of the resort. Gabi handily makes her interest in James quite obvious. Indeed the vibe between the couples reminds me of The Comfort of Strangers. On the way back to the resort james is driving and runs over and kills a local. The Bauers persuade James and Em to flee the scene. The next morning the Bauers are nowhere to be seen as the police arrive and arrest James and Em. It turns out the penalty for such crimes is death (actually many crimes on Li Tolqa carry the death penalty) to be carried out by the dead man's son.

But there's an out clause! You can pay for a clone to be made and executed in your place. The scene where James goes through the clone creation process is disturbing but the execution of the clone which James and Em must witness is downright terrifying. After this the film becomes hedonisticaly horrifying as James joins up with Bauers and their friends in vandalism, murder and mayhem with clones paying the price. Or are they? A question of identity arises, one scene in particular will make you reflect on what is occurring. Shades of Blade Runner abound. This is also a tale of the divide between the rich denizens of the resort and the locals who mostly live in poverty In the opening sequence of Infinity Pool the camera turns upside down and back again taking in both the luxurious resort and rusted corrugated iron roofs outside, delivering a message without using too heavy a hand. The locals are described as savages and their judicial system is primitive but the Bauers and their acolytes are akin to a barbaric Bullingdon Club on speed. There are many disturbing, even sickening scenes in this film. Dream and drugged sequences suggest more may be at play here than is immediately obvious.Great performances by Goth and Skarsgard. It won't be to everyone's taste but Writer/Director Brandon Cronenberg has delivered a worthy addition to the Science Fiction/Horror Film Canon. 8.5/10

Infinity Pool: Mia Goth runs the gamut of emotions once more just like in Pearl, going from mild to to worrisome, to sociopathic, ending up as downright psychotic. Here she plays Gabi Bauer, a supposed fan of author James Foster's (Alexander Skarsgard) sole novel. They meet up in an exclusive resort on the island of Li Tolqa. James is accompanied by his wife Em (Cleopatra Coleman{ and they're having marital troubles. This isn't helped when Gabi along with her manipulative partner Alban (Jalil Lespert) invite them to go for dinner and drinks outside of the resort. Gabi handily makes her interest in James quite obvious. Indeed the vibe between the couples reminds me of The Comfort of Strangers. On the way back to the resort james is driving and runs over and kills a local. The Bauers persuade James and Em to flee the scene. The next morning the Bauers are nowhere to be seen as the police arrive and arrest James and Em. It turns out the penalty for such crimes is death (actually many crimes on Li Tolqa carry the death penalty) to be carried out by the dead man's son.

But there's an out clause! You can pay for a clone to be made and executed in your place. The scene where James goes through the clone creation process is disturbing but the execution of the clone which James and Em must witness is downright terrifying. After this the film becomes hedonisticaly horrifying as James joins up with Bauers and their friends in vandalism, murder and mayhem with clones paying the price. Or are they? A question of identity arises, one scene in particular will make you reflect on what is occurring. Shades of Blade Runner abound. This is also a tale of the divide between the rich denizens of the resort and the locals who mostly live in poverty In the opening sequence of Infinity Pool the camera turns upside down and back again taking in both the luxurious resort and rusted corrugated iron roofs outside, delivering a message without using too heavy a hand. The locals are described as savages and their judicial system is primitive but the Bauers and their acolytes are akin to a barbaric Bullingdon Club on speed. There are many disturbing, even sickening scenes in this film. Dream and drugged sequences suggest more may be at play here than is immediately obvious.Great performances by Goth and Skarsgard. It won't be to everyone's taste but Writer/Director Brandon Cronenberg has delivered a worthy addition to the Science Fiction/Horror Film Canon. 8.5/10
What streaming channel is it on?

DETEKTOR (Russia, 2023).

This wintry puzzler comes with much to recommend it. For one thing, it is directed by Yakutian Kostas Marsan, who was previously responsible for the folk horror film Ichchi (2021) and whose name has been associated with a wave of Yakut horror. (Yakutia being a semi-autonomous region in Russia in the far North-East).

Not only that but, for this film ,he has brought together an ensemble cast consisting of Ekaterina Vilkova ( The Last Knight, 2017 and the TV series Cold Shores, 20200 - 2022). A decade or so ago Vilova was a standard cinema sweetheart, but now in her thirties she seems to becoming the go-to actress for roles involving a tough-but-vulnerable investigator. She acts alongside Krrill Karo, the Estonian heartthrob. ( To the Lake, 2019, The Sniffer -2013-2019).

Detektor is not set in Yakutia, however, but in the more ordinary (and aspirational) environment of a classy dacha on the wooded outskirts of Moscow. Whilst less exotic, this is the perfect backdrop for what unfolds.

A police investigator (Vilkova), on a hunt for a killer, gets attacked by the suspect and is stabbed in the chest. This leaves her traumatised and unable to bear children. She takes time off from the force and falls in love with her psychotherapist (Karo) and ends up living with him in his plush out-of-town three floor dacha.

They decide to adopt a child and , whilst visiting an adoption agency, meet a rather strange and withdrawn child with a penchant for producing artistic sketches. They decide on her - not least because her drawings look familiar to the woman. It seems to her, she is drawing scenes related to the murderer and which might give clues as to who is is and his wherabouts. Is she psychic, or does she have some inside knowledge of the criminal? The partner is more sceptical - but she goes back to her old colleagues in the police and convinces them to put an investigator onto the case. They do so out of loyalty to her - and a young man arrives to look at the pictures (which the girl keeps on producing - even scribbling them on walls) and to draw his own conclusions.

He meets a lot of dead ends and the woman's obsession with the case puts a strain on her relationship. Meanwhile, the stepfather discovers that the adopted girl can be violent....

There are some television style cliches in this story - and the unexpected twist ending is not all that unexpected. However, I forgave all of that as the film sustains a wonderful foreboding ambience throughout with the combination of location shots, music and edgy acting.

If, like me, you're a sucker for dark psycho-thrillers, with gothic trappings, then this is - rather systematically - tailor made for you. But it's not like;ly to be showing at a cinema near you anytime soon - although the director's name and the presence of Karo may help it to travel a bit.

Detektor 1.jpg

oooh .. someone's uploaded my favourite cut of Romero's Dawn of the Dead, the full movie :popc:... if there's anyone left here who's never watched this classic, get on this ...

The Pope's Exorcist: "That'a beautiful pig." Only the best, Father." Chief Vatican Exorcist Father Gabriele Amorth (Russell Crowe) uses porcine props as he casts out demons Gadarene Swine style in Italy in 1987. But 98% of "possessions" are due to mental illness he explains to a Vatican panel afterwards. He puts an arrogant young US Cardinal in his place, reminding him that only the Pope issues orders to Amorth. Indeed the Pope (JPII) sens Amorth to Spain where an American mother, teen daughter and young son are having troubles in an Old abbey the mother was having restored. This is a stock family, caring worried mother, sullen teen who doesn't want to be there but the boy, Henry (Peter DeSouza-Feighoney) shines as he becomes the subject of a Demon's attention. some great scenes of horror as the possessed child tosses priests through doors, chokes people and causes Poltergeist effects. Also alarming is the way the demon tempts and taunts those around him with memories of their past sins and failures. We even get the spider walk, But something far more sinister is going on, the Pope (Franco Nero) researches old documents regarding the Abbey's history whilst Amorth is his field commander in the fightagainst Satan. Crowe has an endearing, humerous style as he portrays Amorth, wisecracking, irreverent, fond of coffee and the odd nip of whiskey. DeSouza-Feighoney deftly goes through a demanding performance as the possessed boy with Ralph Ineson voicing the demon. My favourite scene was the Pope projectile vomiting blood on to the US Cardinal. A lot more fiction than fact here but it's a highly entertaining horror film even if it would have been better with a 90 minute running time rather than 103. Directed by Julius Avery, from a screenplay by Michael Petroni and Evan Spiliotopoulos based on Amorth's memoirs An Exorcist Tells His Story and An Exorcist: More Stories. 7.5/10

In cinemas.

Mindcage.

This 2022 psychological horror features John Malkovich as a serial killer known as "The Artist", who preys on sex workers. He leaves their bodies in (somewhat unfeasibly) public places, elaborately posed to look like angels.
Although now supposedly safely behind bars and on death row, Artist-style copycat killings have started, leaving our cop duo of Melissa Roxburgh and Martin Lawrence baffled. Desperate for a lead, Det. Kelly (Roxburgh) is given the go-ahead to visit The Artist in gaol and ask whether he can shed any light on who would copy his handiwork. Much of the rest of the film explores the mind-games between Malkovich and Roxburgh. This rings faint echoes of Silence of the Lambs and was reasonably intriguing. The plot though veers off into full-on paranormal mode towards the end and I struggled to suspend my disbelief at that point.
Overall it's only a 5.5/10 from me for a decent concept that turned rather silly.
Currently on Amazon Prime.

mindcage.png

Rose: A Love Story: A slow burner, no immediate signs that it's a tale of horror. A couple living in an isolated cabin in a forest, depending on a generator for electricity. It could even be a post=apocalypse setting.The man (Matt Stokoe) traps rabbits, grows vegetables, the woman(Sophie Rundle) suffers from some ailment, remains indoors, works on a novel using a manual typewriter. There are some clues which point to whats really going on and we see the woman when the disease is really affecting her. Still, in spite of a certain building aura of tension, the lifestyle seems relatively idyllic. It's only when outsiders cause problems that violence occurs and horror comes to the fore. Definitely horror though you might not think so until the film ends and you reflect on the narrative which has unfolded. Convincing performance from Stokoe, Rundle and Olive Gray as Amber, a teen runaway who arrives at the cabin. Directed by Jennifer Sheridan, Written by Matt Stokoe. 7.5/10.

Streaming (free) at https://www.channel4.com/programmes/rose-a-love-story until 15 May 2023.

Renfield: Yes, Nicholas Cage does get to chew the scenery up as Dracula but this is primarily the story of his assistant and familiar Renfield (Nicholas Hoult),. Now treated in a similar manner to how Monty Burns manages Smithers. Renfield longs for their early days together when after slaying Van Helsing, Dracula restored Renfield to life. They enjoyed the high life, this is portrayed in excerpts from the 1931 Dracula film where Cage and Hoult respectively seamlessly inserted in place of Bela Lugosi and Dwight Frye as Count Dracula and Renfield. Since then they have fled city after city as Dracula battles Vampire hunters. The down at heel duo end up in New Orleans hiding out in a derelict hospital. Hoult wants to escape his co-dependency so he joins a Twelve Step group but also continues to procure victims for his master.

The story evolves as Renfield falls foul of a crime family when he rescues NO cop Rebecca (Awkwafina) in a dramatic ex[osition of the powers possessed by a familiar. These powers are boosted by the frequent consumption of bugs. Cage is alternatively threatening and funny as Dracula, though mostly played for laughs there is a dark side to his performance which transcends humour. He literally tears his enemies to pieces when hes not merely sucking their life's blood from them. The 12 Step group provides some of the most amusing scenes, Mark (Brandon Scott Jones), the support group leader is particularly effective. As is Awkwafina in her portrayal of an angry honest traffic cop, alone in a sea of police corruption, intent on bringing the local mafia to justice. More could have been done with the material available to Director Chris McKay and writer Ryan Ridley but this is an enjoyable romp. 7.5/10.

In cinemas.

Last edited:
Evil Dead Rise: It deserves the 18s certificate, from the outset it's drenched in blood, gore and disturbing scenes. Some nice scenes of homage to The Shining, La Horde and The Thing to mention just three. The pre-title sequence at a lake could have come from so many slasher films bit there's a twist. the killer is possessed/Dybbuked and channels Cathy from Wuthering Heights. But we've been promised an urban Evil Dead so things swiftly move to a condemned building with few tenants left. Guitar technician Beth (Lily Sullivan) visits her sister Ellie and family there. An earthquake strikes, and a basement vault is revealed, and hey! A copy of the Necronomicon is found along with LPs and documents. The fun starts, possessions followed by the dead being raised, Necromancy I guess. Levitation and all sorts of nasty mutilations and murders. But don't worry! They'll rise again. There us an element of humour here but it it is very dark and is diluted by the existential terror and torture faced by the cast. Maybe you can get too much gore. Even though it's running time was 97 minutes maybe a little less blood and more back story on how this copy of the dread book got into the vault would have balanced things. Still this is an impressive horror film. Written and directed by Lee Cronin. 8/10.

In cinemas

Evil Dead Rise: It deserves the 18s certificate, from the outset it's drenched in blood, gore and disturbing scenes. Some nice scenes of homage to The Shining, La Horde and The Thing to mention just three. The pre-title sequence at a lake could have come from so many slasher films bit there's a twist. the killer is possessed/Dybbuked and channels Cathy from Wuthering Heights. But we've been promised an urban Evil Dead so things swiftly move to a condemned building with few tenants left. Guitar technician Beth (Lily Sullivan) visits her sister Ellie and family there. An earthquake strikes, and a basement vault is revealed, and hey! A copy of the Necronomicon is found along with LPs and documents. The fun starts, possessions followed by the dead being raised, Necromancy I guess. Levitation and all sorts of nasty mutilations and murders. But don't worry! They'll rise again. There us an element of humour here but it it is very dark and is diluted by the existential terror and torture faced by the cast. Maybe you can get too much gore. Even though it's running time was 97 minutes maybe a little less blood and more back story on how this copy of the dread book got into the vault would have balanced things. Still this is an impressive horror film. Written and directed by Lee Cronin. 8/10.

In cinemas
It's hard to believes that it's been ten years since Fede Alvarez's Evil Dead remake came out. A good friend of mine suggested we watch this new Evil Dead Rise together, I had to gently remind her that when I took my Evil Dead remake round to hers to watch one day, it freaked her out so much that I had to say "Do you want me to switch this off?" which was met by a panicked nodding lol ..

I've seen every (released) Evil Dead filmed at a cinema and in the order they were made and they've never been for the faint hearted. That's kind of the point of them, "A rock 'em, shock 'em roller coaster ride!." Sam Raimi used to grin when promoting his early ones.

I'm actually a bit nervous to watch this one for some reason. I still will anyway. I think it's because of the family abuse angle Lee Cronin's decided to use in this newest one. I prefer dark comedy instead but I'll give it a go.

It's hard to believes that it's been ten years since Fede Alvarez's Evil Dead remake came out. A good friend of mine suggested we watch this new Evil Dead Rise together, I had to gently remind her that when I took my Evil Dead remake round to hers to watch one day, it freaked her out so much that I had to say "Do you want me to switch this off?" which was met by a panicked nodding lol ..

I've seen every (released) Evil Dead filmed at a cinema and in the order they were made and they've never been for the faint hearted. That's kind of the point of them, "A rock 'em, shock 'em roller coaster ride!." Sam Raimi used to grin when promoting his early ones.

I'm actually a bit nervous to watch this one for some reason. I still will anyway. I think it's because of the family abuse angle Lee Cronin's decided to use in this newest one. I prefer dark comedy instead but I'll give it a go.
These guys kinda loved the new film, particularly the production values. I've never seen an ED film, but I might watch this one.

Spoiler alert

Stalker.
2022 psychological horror, starring Sophie (Outlander) Skelton.
Two people are trapped in a lift in a creepy old hotel.
They discover a few intriguing secrets about each other, but one of them is a psychopath.
Can't say any more without ruining the twist (which I'm pleased to say I got!).
Obviously quite a limited budget, but intriguing and with some wince-making sadistic violence.
Currently streaming on Prime Video.
Maybe a 7/10.

Last edited:
Sick of Myself: while this is satire, social commentary and the blackest of black comedies, it is also horror in the same way that many of Cronenberg's films are. Signe (Kristine Kujath Thorp) and Thomas (Eirik Sæther) are both narcissists, they compete for attention, at a dinner to honour Thomas for his first gallery exhibition, Signe pretends to into anaphylactic shock after eating a nut. Thomas wants to continue his speech outraging other diners. Thomas's art consists of weirdly arranged chairs which Signe helps him steal. Nothing is off limits in Sick of Myself, be it self help groups or specialist model agencies, holy cows are slaughtered on an industrial scale. Signe's narcissism leads to her taking medication which results in severe skin disorders. This is where the horror really starts to set in with many disturbing scenes. truly reaching the levels of Cronenberg's body horror tropes.. Again though, some of these are darkly comical. Outstanding performance by Thorp, ably aided by Sæther. Written and Directed by Kristoffer Borgli. 8/10.

In cinemas.

Last edited:
Okay then.
They're deliberately 'spiteful' films, hence the 'evil' part of 'Evil Dead'. If you fancy starting with the one that's the least spiteful, that would have to be Evil Dead 2 which is a mix of Mad Max, Rambo and The Exorcist, it's absolutely a beers with your mates film. The first film is instead a bit like watching someone pull a rubber band back before releasing it: boring at the start and then it only ends when you hit the wall. Part 3 (Army of Darkness) is basically Jason and the Argonauts with 3 stooges gags chucked in. The 10 years ago remake of the first is basically a clever remix except time they're all going to the cabin to cold turkey some girl strung out on heroin.

The TV series is a Pop Funko toy advert of most of the above.

I haven't watched the latest one yet.

Evil
They're deliberately 'spiteful' films, hence the 'evil' part of 'Evil Dead'. If you fancy starting with the one that's the least spiteful, that would have to be Evil Dead 2 which is a mix of Mad Max, Rambo and The Exorcist, it's absolutely a beers with your mates film. The first film is instead a bit like watching someone pull a rubber band back before releasing it: boring at the start and then it only ends when you hit the wall. Part 3 (Army of Darkness) is basically Jason and the Argonauts with 3 stooges gags chucked in. The 10 years ago remake of the first is basically a clever remix except time they're all going to the cabin to cold turkey some girl strung out on heroin.

The TV series is a Pop Funko toy advert of most of the above.

I haven't watched the latest one yet.
Evil Dead 3: Army of Darkness is an absolute blast, full of cheeky one-liners and countless visual gags.

Back