• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Also IIRC Julia has a line 'I moved because you wanted to.' that I took to assume meant she moved to the States.

So why did everyone but Julia (and her various victims) have an American accent?

I think the story was that everyone in Hellraiser originally had an English accent (apart from Kirsty maybe?) but the US backers wanted it to go down better in the States, so it was redubbed. It was certainly made in England.

The Ritual: Four friends go go hill walking in remote Northern Sweden to remember a murdered friend. Taking a shortcut through a forest they come across a gutted deer hanging in a tree. Runes are carved into other trees. Taking shelter in a hut all four have strange nightmares. Lost they stumble through the woods literally experiencing Panic. The cinematography and forest setting helps to develop this sense of primeval fear and threat.

A mixture of tropes bringing to mind The Witch, Blair Witch, Deliverance and Kill List coalesce to form a unique Horror Film which is somewhat left down by uneven pacing. It could also have benefited with some additional Anthropological exposition which may have present in the novel by Adam Nevill (who co-wrote the screenplay). 7.5/10.

Office

South Korean Slasher/horror. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_(2015_South_Korean_film)

Mr Kim Byeong-gook returns home from a day at the office to brutally murder his family he then disappears. As the Police try and put together what happened to this respected family man strange things begin to occur back at his work place. There's something not quite right among his colleagues and new intern Lee Mi-rye is finding the combination of murders and work particularly stressful.

The film makes a mundane corporate office environment suddenly very sinister with muted colors and bland interiors. It's reminiscent of the original The Grudge which created a similar feel for suburban Tokyo or Let the Right One In did for a Stockholm housing estate.

Pretty good - 7 out of 10

Replace: modest but effective body horror with a touch of sci-fi you might not notice at first. Basically a young lady wakes up in an apartment and finds her skin is starting to crumble and needs... replacing. Stars Rebecca Forsythe, who is the great William Forsythe's daughter, and fortunately for her hasn't inherited her dad's looks. Barbara Crampton is in it too, and extra-creepy. Give it a go, you might be pleasantly surprised. Well, I say pleasantly...

Happy Death Day: A student keeps reliving the same day which ends with her being murdered by a masked killer. At the first re-iteration of the day she is puzzled, the next time she is shocked but by the third raw panic sets in. The day rests anew each time as she wakes in the dormroom of she has crashed in. Eventually she enlists his help in an attempt to identify her murderer. Many red herrings are caught.

While this film contains many of the teen slasher tropes it transcends them with an inventive script and wonderful dark humour. 8/10.

It Stains The Sands Red: A jerky lady has to survive a single zombie following her in the desert. Has some good comedy as well as some interesting dramatic moments. Not a blockbuster, but still quite good even for the overexposed zombie genre:

Toby Jones makes a good maniac:
He's definitely got 'maniac face' but I'm distracted from being scared because of him also currently re playing the easy going likeable side kick in the new series of the metal detector TV comedy ..

.. like him in Emmerdale who promoted a zombie film he'd directed on breakfast TV one morning and I haven't heard anything about either of them since .. they both might be good so I'm not knocking them ..

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1928123/?ref_=nm_ov_bio_lk2

I'd watch it!
I should stop being lazy and find out if 'Before Dawn' was ever released .. I watched 'Dead Set', the Big Brother (UK TV reality show with a zombified Davina McCall) spin off zombie film (I think it was originally broadcast as a 4 episode TV series, I can't remember now but I saw it again later on a DVD release), that wasn't too bad, it re trod all loved Romero cliches and was memorable for me mainly because I'd never seen a zombie in a wheelchair before (was there a zombie in a wheelchair in Peter Jackson's Brain Dead?) .. I like isolation films of all genres so I might enjoy 'Before Dawn' .. the trailer sort of has a UK gritty film stock 28 Day's Later/Dog Soldiers feel to it ..

Last edited:
I should stop being lazy and find out if 'Before Dawn' was ever released .. I watched 'Dead Set', the Big Brother (UK TV reality show with a zombified Davina McCall) spin off zombie film (I think it was originally broadcast as a 4 episode TV series, I can't remember now but I saw it again later on a DVD release), that wasn't too bad, it re trod all loved Romero cliches and was memorable for me mainly because I'd never seen a zombie in a wheelchair before (was there a zombie in a wheelchair in Peter Jackson's Brain Dead?) .. I like isolation films of all genres so I might enjoy 'Before Dawn' .. the trailer sort of has a UK gritty film stock 28 Day's Later/Dog Soldiers feel to it ..

Dead Set saw the transition of Charlie Brooker’s career from tv critic to one of the best horror/sci-fi makers we have in the UK. It could be regarded as the first Black Mirror.

I can’t remember whether I mentioned I picked up Pride and Predjudice and Zombies for £3 in Sainsburys. I chortled all the way through. The dialogue, sets, lighting and camerawork were typical of the modern Austen interpretation. I bet Emma Thompson still regrets missing an opportunity to kick ass in this one.

He's definitely got 'maniac face' but I'm distracted from being scared because of him also currently re playing the easy going likeable side kick in the new series of the metal detector TV comedy ..

.. like him in Emmerdale who promoted a zombie film he'd directed on breakfast TV one morning and I haven't heard anything about either of them since .. they both might be good so I'm not knocking them ..

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1928123/?ref_=nm_ov_bio_lk2

Toby Jones' dad is in Emmerdale. Any connection or just coincidence?

Jigsaw: Is John Kramer back (from the dead) after ten years or is there a copycat killer at work? Early in the film a corpse is discovered with half of its head missing diagonally. A message has the voiceprint of Kramer and his DNA is found under the fingernails of a victim. Detective Halloran has the job of tracking down the killer with the aid of two pathologists. One of these doctors has a rather outré hobby which causes her to be suspected of being the unsub.

While the search for the killer ensues, five victims are trapped in a building and subjected to a series of tests/games by Jigsaw. Cut up by saws, hanged from a ceiling, injected with acid, so many ways to due. Or even to lose a limb when your leg is trapped by piano wires. This film is not for the squeamish or fainthearted, you even get a head cut into segments and a body shredded by spiral saws.

There are enough surprises, shocks and red herrings to maintain the tension in this eighth installment of the Saw franchise but there are also clues which may help you to work out what's really going on. 7/10.

Last edited:
The House of Screaming Death looks like fun British Anthology horror fun in the Amicus/Hammer tradition:

http://onabeamoflight.wixsite.com/screamingdeath
With its roots firmly in the world of classic HAMMER HORROR anthology films, THE HOUSE OF SCREAMING DEATH revolves around the sinister & mysterious storyteller, known as THE ARCHITECT (Ian McNeice), who on one eerie night, in an old Manor House, is preparing to share four CHILLING tales with a captive audience he has invited.

As each story unfolds in their own unique, bloody & frightening way, the finale will shock and terrify as THE ARCHITECT also has one last story of his own to share.

Filmed around the Midlands in late 2015 & early 2016, including Staffordshire, Sandwell and Walsall areas, The House of Screaming Death will be a truly innovative and welcome return to the celebrated BRITISH GOTHIC HORROR of a bygone era and will definitely promise you sleepless nights!

This looks like a very interesting spooky flick that is really going to use sounds to great effect:
Silence is survival. Watch the teaser trailer for #AQuietPlace, starring Emily Blunt and John Krasinski. In theatres April 2018.

This also looks like a good indy horror:
The Axiom
At the risk of her group's safety, a young woman travels into a National Forest where her sister has become trapped in a multi-dimensional world of monsters.

I thought SiREN was a great flick. It is a continuation of the best segemnt of the V/H/S horror anthology, and while it's not as 100% as awesome, it's still quite good, and Hannah Fierman was excellent as the strange creature of another world...

Only just discovered this 1963 Hammer film starring Oliver Reed for the first time this evening,

From Amazon's Product Description:
In England, a young American falls in love with the sister of a sadistic and lecherous motorcycle gang leader who despises the American. The couple takes refuge from the gang leader's harassment in a cave where they discover a group of children, who are the result of an experiment by a scientist seeking to develop a race of humans capable of surviving an atomic blast.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002ZV8SDI/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1ABBE8KZ6DTNX&colid=3CF8HXBOY9R8P

Only just discovered this 1963 Hammer film starring Oliver Reed for the first time this evening,

Never seen it myself, but a few years ago I was reading about it on another forum and ended up checking out the filming locations in Weymouth on google earth.

I wholly recommend These Are the Damned, it's one of the bleakest sci-fi movies out there, but very haunting, rarely imitated.

We've just watched a great Christmas horror/black comedy film called 'You'd Better Watch Out' aka 'Safe Neighbourhood' .... it's a mix up of Halloween, Hard Candy, Psycho and, of all things, Ferris Bueller's Day Off ..... good acting, great twists and just all round very well made .. I'll agree with Rotten Tomatoes who have rated it at 91% ....

This trailer might contain spoilers, it's one of those films you're best sitting down to with no pre conceived ideas and remaining completely trailer free for maximum enjoyment .. if you're not going to watch it? .. fuck it .. watch this trailer.

Last edited:
Back