• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Hot Dogs, Sandwiches, Cereal & Soup

Is Cereal a Soup?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 27 100.0%
  • Other - Please specify

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Before you go, I just have a query about the bourbons...
Sorry Sir, it's my clocking off time but my co-worker will be happy to answer any of your questions.

Anyone served the beef of a beef-burger between two slices of white would whinge about it.

Anyone serving such a thing would be wiped-out economically, I think, in the fast-food market, before any individual customer would have time to evoke the Law or even the dictionary.

It's more pretentious fare which really needs careful policing: I recall a restaurant chicken pilaf which clearly consisted of cooked rice, a tin of Chicken Supreme and thirty bullet-peas! :eek::eek::eek:

I've had such a 'burger' in Chicago toasted (or maybe fried) sliced bread instead of 'bun'. And strictly speaking the fast food meal we colloquailly call a 'hamburger' is a 'hamburger sandwich' - the hamburger - - originally 'hamburger steak' - is the meat patty.

But, returning to hot dogs, do you or do you not put ketchup in them? Doing so is apparently a culinary fax pas of the highest order. As a bemused Brit I had no idea.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/craig-goldwyn/ketchup-on-hot-dogs_b_928338.html

As far as I'm concerned, a sandwich has to be between two pieces of bread. Thus your Kebab qualifies but not your sausage roll. There are of course minor variations such as an open sandwich or the multi-layer club sandwich, so a split roll (bap, barm cake) would seem to be acceptable within the rules.

Your hot dog, now, differs from your sausage-inna-bun in that it contains a frankfurter sasuage, not any old sausage containing animal products.

Last edited:
... But, returning to hot dogs, do you or do you not put ketchup in them? Doing so is apparently a culinary fax pas of the highest order. As a bemused Brit I had no idea.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/craig-goldwyn/ketchup-on-hot-dogs_b_928338.html

As mentioned in the cited article, ketchup is most commonly added by children to their hot dogs (and, for that matter, hamburgers as well). It's considered par for the course in the context of yard apes who demand all their victuals be sweet, but a no-no for adults who've presumably developed more discerning tastes and an appreciation of variety / 'authenticity' in their foods.

I have the remnants of one of thee in my fridge and it rocks:

product_6258_large.jpg

I have the remnants of one of thee in my fridge and it rocks:

product_6258_large.jpg
If the label had this printed on it;

Anál nathrach,
orth’ bháis’s bethad,
do chél dénmha

...I'd buy some.

If the label had this printed on it;

Anál nathrach,
orth’ bháis’s bethad,
do chél dénmha

...I'd buy some.

Well you'd certainly summon the 'breath of the dragon' if you ate the mustard.

That looks a bit poncy - what's the strength like compared with Colman's luminous yellow? Mustard should be painful to eat.

It isn't fearsome, but it does give that cumulative build-up of spice that leaves your mouth warm after a while - and it tastes good (that's to say it has taste, not simply burn).

Isle of Wight's finest:
386957_1200x1200.jpg

If cereal is a soup, is bananas in custard a soup too?

Back