• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Improbable Derren Brown Stunt

You have to ask if it is legally possible to essentially abduct an adult without their consent and put them through an experience that could scar them mentally for life?
Those were my feelings about "The Push".
I wonder what acquaintances of the 3 contestants who demonstrated that they were capable of murder, must think about them?

Those were my feelings about "The Push".
I wonder what acquaintances of the 3 contestants who demonstrated that they were capable of murder, must think about them?
In 'The Apocalypse' he wakes up in the military hospital having been changed out of his clothes and into green hospital garments. It appears to be DB himself doing this and without his consent..?

A link to just one article about claims he was an actor:

"However, fans have claimed that Brosnan may be a stooge, after it was allegedly discovered that he belonged to a professional actors' casting website.

Brosnan's Twitter account was said to have been linked to his page on the Casting Call Pro site, but was later altered to the names Craig Harwood and Jerrin Matthews, before being taken down."

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a433964/derren-brown-apocalypse-star-revealed-as-fake/

Edit:

This blog absolutely nails it in my opinion:

http://www.grumpymiddleagedman.co.u...taged-and-fake-is-steve-brosnan-as-actor-new/

Lots of screenshots and a clear continuity error during an ambulance scene in which two bottles of water disappear. there are a huge number of responses (400+) and some other continuity errors such as Steven getting names wrong and screenshot evidence he knew the plot in advance. It is fascinating reading.

I have watched this a couple of times and tracked down a lot of chatter about it on the internet. Like you I have my doubts, not least because the central character did once want to be an actor. Also the pyrotechnics were a bit weak to be honest, guess there is a limit to what you can do with actual living humans and presumably wildlife on the outdoor set. Then yes, he was very restrained and his fight or flight seemed to be lacking and instead he was very easily led from one scenario to the next. Also, I felt the acting of some of the extras was a bit "daytime tv" at best.

He has gone on the record to say none of it was scripted and he believed it all but then perhaps he had his 15 minutes of fame for the cost of a non-disclosure clause (remember, he had wanted to be an actor). There were claims that the experience had motivated him to 'get off his arse' and start a new career, but then being the central character in a tv show watched by millions may well have had the same effect regardless. You have to ask if it is legally possible to essentially abduct an adult without their consent and put them through an experience that could scar them mentally for life? Also that all the actors and extras were happy to go along with this? Personally, I think not and the only surprise for him were the actual events, i feel he knew some outline details beforehand

(I will have to track down the links and sources to all of the above, has been a little while now)
Please do Paul, I'd be keen to read that ..

.. and let's say Brown is telling the truth and his self created protagonists are genuinely hypnotised so not just stooges ... how does he get legal insurance to do this stuff in case it goes wrong?. Our selected hero (we're told by Brown in the video) for 'Apocalypse' was initially told he'd failed the audition as part of the set up so hero boy wouldn't have been given a waiver to sign before the prank started ..

I was present in the audience at a stage hypnotism act that seemed to go wrong in the late 90's in Skegness. The girl that seemed to be the last one so most mailable for the hypnotist's routine was asked to point out the man she found the most attractive in the seated audience then everyone gasped when she pointed to some bloke who looked to be in his mid to late 70's with grey hair etc .. then she was told to walk amongst us and then she was told we were all naked which she didn't look happy about, maybe because I spotted some blokes leaning back in their chairs, grinning and spreading their legs.

After the show and after he'd supposed to have been able to bring her out of her trance, it didn't look like he'd been able to. He'd taken her into a side area to try again while we were all leaving but some of the crowd were clearly concerned and rubber necking out of concern for her.

The next day, a few of us went to a small SeaWorld type place then I spotted the same girl from the night before with her parents and her face still looked haunted and frightened. That's put me off ever consenting to be hypnotised myself.

Hypnosis is regulated by law in the UK:

“...the performance shall be so conducted as not to be likely to cause harm, anxiety or distress to any person in the audience or any hypnotised subject"

https://www.horsham.gov.uk/licensin...ion-demonstration-or-performance-of-hypnotism

Seems to rule out 'Apocalypse'...?

This post is excellent an din particular the final paragraph which I have highlighted in bold:

"Written by Donald Robertson
on 27/10/2012 at 7:08 pm

"Perhaps I can add something. I’ve been involved in teaching and using hypnosis from an evidence-based perspective for nearly 20 years. First of all, that’s just not how hypnosis works or how a normal hypnotic subject would typically respond. However, with regard to shows like this in general… It is a criminal offence to hypnotise someone for entertainment purposes without having a licence under the Stage Hypnotism Act 1952. The Home Office Guidelines for issuing licences stipulate that the participant must give their informed consent (which would defeat the whole purpose of Apocalypse) and that “the performance shall be so conducted as not to be likely to cause harm, anxiety or distress to any person in the audience or any hypnotised subject” (again, that is breached by the whole concept of the show). So as far as I can see, there’s no way a licence could be issued for genuine hypnotism to be used in this way in the show, and under those circumstances the television channel would presumably not clear it for broadcast, as they have their own regulations in relation to the laws, etc., that govern performances of this type.

It’s long been common for stage hypnotists and similar performers to employ stooges. The first rule of using stooges is, of course, that you need to tell the audience something like “I can assure you that there’s absolutely no way we’re using stooges.” As I recall Derren Brown also said he wasn’t using a fake gun for the Russian Roullette trick he did but the tabloids got the police to confirm that no gun licence had been issued because they had been satisfied by the show’s producers that it was not a fake gun. I think it’s quite reasonable to assume that shows like this, in general, are often made using stooges, aspiring actors who are following a script, pretending to have been hypnotised.

A problem here for Derren Brown, I think, is that many viewers appear to have already noticed that the whole set up, although very professionally done in some ways, just doesn’t have the ring of authenticity about it. The actors are a bit wooden and unconvincing at times. In part, that should make viewers wonder why the subject doesn’t seem to question what’s going on more. It also appears too convenient that he never does anything that would interfere with the script unfolding. For example, if he’d refused to get in the ambulance, or wandered off at any point to think things over, or started to quiz the other characters, that would potentially ruin the show. He also doesn’t mumble or speak over other people, etc. All of which adds to the impression that he’s behaving like an actor, speaking lines, and following a script."

http://www.grumpymiddleagedman.co.u...taged-and-fake-is-steve-brosnan-as-actor-new/

Someone else has pointed out that no-one swears. Ever. A Zombie apocalypse with zero swearing from the doomed humans...?

Another one. If you watch the ambulance scene you can clearly see a camera sticking out of a partially open cupboard in the top left of the ambulance as you face the doors. there are several good shots of it.

Also as regards the ambulance you see see the letters 'CFZ' clearly displayed on both sides. No, not the Centre for Fortean Zoology but a legal requirement for anyone using a 'fake' emergency vehicle for filming. Now not everyone knows this, but Steve's brother was an actor and also a search around the internet reveals car enthusiasts know about this and that Police forces in the UK have had to point out footage of supposed police cars is in fact film footage:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/the_prop_police_van

Also appears in this thread:

https://www.quora.com/What-do-the-numbers-on-top-of-UK-police-cars-mean-and-what-are-they-for

So bit of a risk to take when they could have substituted the fake ambulance for another vehicle. If he wasn't in on it but knew this fact he would have rumbled the whole narrative.

There is also the helicopter scene at the end. The rotors are still turning as he runs towards the open helicopter door. One of the crew meets him and instructs him to duck by placing a hand on his head but a bit of a risk to take that he wouldn't push past him, pull away or ignore the instructions

Discovered the abandoned military base was Bentwaters Park, quite a busy film location:

https://www.bcd-urbex.com/raf-bentwaters-suffolk/

Once you know this you can screenshot scenes and compare to Google maps. Pretty sure I have nailed the location of the double gate where the zombies gather and through which our hero has to run. Thing is, if he had kept up a steady pace in that direction he would have been across the runway and into the business park as I can't see any fences to stop him. Businesses include Happy Days Dog Care and Suffolk Windows and Doors. Oh, and the Cold War museum. Even if shooting took place on a Sunday the fact remains those buildings are there about half a kilometre away and the business park was established in 2004, long before filming took place for Apocalypse.

We have the arial shots from the helicopter and it seems he escapes into the main area of the park and not out of it. Yet the helicopter lands back in the area he escapes from (you can see the pine trees, buildings in distance etc.). Start to see a problem? There is a campsite behind where the helicopter lands and a busy arable farm. It really isn't the middle of nowhere and there are also busy roads and a railway nearby.

Interesting that Bentwaters aren't advertising the fact they ere the location, unlike other films and tv shows they have hosted (Space Cadets was one), I think perhaps we weren't meant to look too closely?

Last edited:
Also noticed at 31.10/11 he runs past the zombies and out through the gate but seems unsure where to go. Fortunately, there is a woman with her back to the camera who has her right arm outstretched in the direction he then runs and which does seem to be where the helicopter landed (location of trees, buildings etc).

An article from the Daily Mash entitled "Ghostwatch and other classic hoaxes you had to be exceptionally gullible to fall for" - which was linked in our Humour and Jokes thread - states the following:
Derren Brown: Apocalypse

Derren convinces someone there’s a zombie outbreak. It’s ambitious and unconvincing. The volunteer later said he was just doing what was expected so as not to ruin the TV show. Obviously Derren uses real mind control in all his other shows.
Does anyone know where to find the volunteer's confession?

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news...ptionally-gullible-to-fall-for-20221101227646

This was on the radio the other day.

Steven Brosnan found himself in a bit of a rut, living at home and moving from job to job. Then, in 2012, on his 22nd birthday catastrophic events take place; rather than enjoying a pop concert with his brother he finds himself having to make apparent life-or-death decisions. Ten years later he tells Dr Sian Williams his unique story and the unexpectedly positive consequences those 48 hours had on his outlook.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001ddx6

Watched Derren Brown's latest production - "Showman" on Channel 4 last night (still available on Ch.4 catch-up - https://www.channel4.com/programmes/derren-brown-showman).

Hugely entertaining, as always, but it did strike me that all of the tricks were slight variations on his old routines but strung together with some new banter which was designed to provoke strong emotions, notably about loved ones who are no longer with us.

Very cleverly done and it's hard to see how he can make the impossible possible without use of stooges.

Watched Derren Brown's latest production - "Showman" on Channel 4 last night (still available on Ch.4 catch-up - https://www.channel4.com/programmes/derren-brown-showman).

Hugely entertaining, as always, but it did strike me that all of the tricks were slight variations on his old routines but strung together with some new banter which was designed to provoke strong emotions, notably about loved ones who are no longer with us.

Very cleverly done and it's hard to see how he can make the impossible possible without use of stooges.
I recorded that for Techy but he said it was an old show.
I said it was obviously pretty recent, pointing out Derren's current chrome-dome look. :thought:
He still had a bit of hair when we went to see him.

Have to say, I admire a man who can embrace his baldness. :cool:

I recorded that for Techy but he said it was an old show.
I said it was obviously pretty recent, pointing out Derren's current chrome-dome look. :thought:
He still had a bit of hair when we went to see him.

Have to say, I admire a man who can embrace his baldness. :cool:
I think the Channel 4 recording was of his December 2022 performance at the London Apollo.
And yes, his bald look seems a bit less pretentious than the previous diabolical look.

brown.png

Back