• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Well, if that didn't give me some spine shivers...
Sallah returns!
Also, the CGI doesn't look that bad, to my aging eyes at least.
However as others have mentioned "The Dial of Destiny"....?
It sounds either like some terrible fan-fiction title, or the name of a 90's 0898 chatline...

It sounds either like some terrible fan-fiction title, or the name of a 90's 0898 chatline...
:chuckle:

This is my own comment. I don't know why it went into quotes.
It's not for me. I am too utterly pig sick of the wrinkly old codgers/much much younger woman thing. It's just depressing. I don't care if she is his grandaughter or what. If Karen Allen had been in it I'd have watched but she isn't so I won't. Maybe when it comes on TV in about 10 years time and I have forgotten why I didn't watch it the first time.

I got a bit curious after hearing about the latest Indiana Jones, the 'Dial of Destiny Film' being talked about on my local radio station this morning.
Not knowing anything about the origins of how the background of the series of films came into being - I decided to have a little hunt online, just to see if there was anything else shall-we-say, lurking in the background. (so-as-to-speak)
I discovered that there seems to be a 'real-life' Indiana Jones character, rather surprisingly!
Here are the webpages that describe how the FBI discovered the background into this man, and guess where he lives . . . 'Indiana!'
He seems to have obviously had an 'enterprising' (shall we say) life of intrigue just like the real Indy Jones in the films, held an incredible collection of various artifacts, and travelled far and wide. A fascinating account.
(both sites have a longish read though)

(See what you think)

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2021/10/how-the-fbi-discovered-a-real-life-indiana-jones-in-indiana

And here is more of an in-depth page into the background of the man himself . . .

https://eu.indystar.com/story/enter...-artifacts-fbi-found-indiana-farm/2990542002/

Supposedly the character”s real name is Dr. Henry Walton Jones, Jr.

Indiana was the name of the family dog.

In real life Indians Jones was the name of George Lucas”s dog.

The Guardian rather disses the movie and claims:

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny struggles at global box office
https://www.theguardian.com/film/20...-destiny-disappoints-box-office-harrison-ford

.... whereas Variety is rather more charitable:

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny’ Dominates U.K. and Ireland Box Office With 43% Market Share
https://variety.com/2023/film/box-o...the-dial-of-destiny-uk-box-office-1235661106/

I saw it on Saturday and really enjoyed it. It was exciting, funny, great bad-guys and didn't take itself too seriously. Was it the greatest movie of all time? No. Was it the best Indiana Jones movie? No (That'll always be Raiders). Did you have to suspend disbelief at times? Of Course! Which Indiana Jones movie haven't you had to suspend disbelief.

Overall, the whole family had a blast and I would definitely watch it again. I have only ever seen Kingdom of the Crystal Skull once and vowed never to watch it ever again.

Well, he's pushing his luck with this one, I don't know how much further he can go.
I think Ford is a crowd-pleaser. He has trouble with saying 'no'.
He pushed his luck with the second Indiana Jones movie, it was god Awful, and I can't believe Spielberg put his name on it. The first one was fun if you didn't mind the violence. I think the 3rd (haven't re-watched it to be sure) was a little better than the 2nd, and the 4th why, why? And now that is what I say about the new one Why? Who wants to see great grandpa running around looking for treasure.

I just talked to my daughter, who took my grandson to see the 5th Indiana Jones movie. She said it was a lot of fun. I hope it gives all of those old guys (Lukas, Spielberg & Ford) get good retirement money from it. (I say that because I am younger than all of them and plan on retiring in a few months). Unless they are playing parts of characters their age actors need to retire.

He pushed his luck with the second Indiana Jones movie, it was god Awful, and I can't believe Spielberg put his name on it. The first one was fun if you didn't mind the violence. I think the 3rd (haven't re-watched it to be sure) was a little better than the 2nd, and the 4th why, why? And now that is what I say about the new one Why? Who wants to see great grandpa running around looking for treasure.
Really?

I thought The Temple of Doom was rather good.
The only one that IMHO was really mediocre was Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (but it still had a few good moments).

Quite pleased that The Guardian got it very wrong and The Dial of Destiny has become the worldwide no.1 box-office hit.

I saw it on Saturday and really enjoyed it. It was exciting, funny, great bad-guys and didn't take itself too seriously. Was it the greatest movie of all time? No. Was it the best Indiana Jones movie? No (That'll always be Raiders). Did you have to suspend disbelief at times? Of Course! Which Indiana Jones movie haven't you had to suspend disbelief.

Overall, the whole family had a blast and I would definitely watch it again. I have only ever seen Kingdom of the Crystal Skull once and vowed never to watch it ever again.

I saw it this yesterday, loved it, great fun!

I just think it was silly to drop the character Indy's son (actor interchangable) for a strong female lead with no background or character arc. I can't see this as continuing the franchise at all.
Sure, Ford is getting on - possibly too old for action movies - and they did a good job by de-aging combined with dark lighting, but they had a ready-made inheritor of the hat 'n' whip, to go with a completely new character. I've no problem with the gender of said character at all, but this change makes no sense in the story.

I just think it was silly to drop the character Indy's son (actor interchangable) for a strong female lead with no background or character arc. I can't see this as continuing the franchise at all.
Sure, Ford is getting on - possibly too old for action movies - and they did a good job by de-aging combined with dark lighting, but they had a ready-made inheritor of the hat 'n' whip, to go with a completely new character. I've no problem with the gender of said character at all, but this change makes no sense in the story.
This is why they should have had Marion in it. You can't get a much stronger character than that. :nods:

Is Indy Junior in it at all? How do they explain not using his son to take over the franchise?
Mind you, they did make a poor choice of actor with that...

I've not seen it, only trailers and critiques, mind. I wouldn't actually pay to watch any mainstream movies now. I'd be interested to see it, but it's not so important to me to pay a bucketload of cash - including travel expenses to get to the nearest big cinema.
Let's face it - they could change the actor playing his son (blame it on aging or whatever). So that's not an excuse.

I've not seen it, only trailers and critiques, mind. I wouldn't actually pay to watch any mainstream movies now. I'd be interested to see it, but it's not so important to me to pay a bucketload of cash - including travel expenses to get to the nearest big cinema.
Let's face it - they could change the actor playing his son (blame it on aging or whatever). So that's not an excuse.
I think I'll probably wait until the blu ray is in the sales.

I tend to wait for DVD. I sure as Hell can't afford the cinema.

I tend to wait for DVD. I sure as Hell can't afford the cinema.

I'll PM you.

It starts off strong but loses it's breath towards the end IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw it last weekend.
The cinema was only half packed, and of a decidedly older demographic, so is it possible that as with a lot of heritage acts, the franchise just isn't that appealing to a generation not even born in the same century the film is set...?

That said, as a member of that older demographic I did enjoy it, but did think it really could have had some editing (the WW2 intro could definitely have done with a trim), and whilst the de-aging was excellent, some of the other CGI was a little underdone.

All that said, I do think that the series began to move to shaky ground as soon as it moved from established elements of real world religions to the rather more fantasy driven McGuffins (I'm not claiming that the grail, or ark of the covenant physically exist or have power, but that they exist within the history of the religions).

Back