• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Heard him mentioned on a Radio 4 programme yesterday as an example of a peaceful, wholesome rural dweller.
About as far from the truth as you could imagine. :chuckle:

Is he a baddie?

I've only seen clips of Out of Town and have inherited a couple of his books from my grandfather.

I don't know anything about his personality or private life.

Heard him mentioned on a Radio 4 programme yesterday as an example of a peaceful, wholesome rural dweller.
About as far from the truth as you could imagine. :chuckle:
Eh?
I thought he was like everyone's favourite granddad?
If you know something that I don't, please dish the dirt.

Is he a baddie?

I've only seen clips of Out of Town and have inherited a couple of his books from my grandfather.

I don't know anything about his personality or private life.
I used to love watching Out of Town. Jack Hargreaves projected an old-world, countrified persona, but he was actually a big cheese at Southern Television and ITV.
In spite of his image, he 'put it about' a bit with affairs on the side.

Out of Town being shown on Talking Pictures TV 6.30 p.m. Mondays. Still worth a watch.

David Baddiel has a touch of the Jack Hargreaves about him. Could be father & son.

1713737718944.png
1713737734305.png

Eh?
I thought he was like everyone's favourite granddad?
If you know something that I don't, please dish the dirt.
Hargreaves wasn't a criminal, he just projected a persona that was nothing like his actual personality or life.

For a start he was no simple rural dweller; rather a hardheaded businessman in independent television which was then a new industry.

There was a trail of wives, mistresses and children.

When the countryside was being opened up with national parks and rural footpaths, Hargreaves vigorously opposed both on the grounds that townies should stay at home.

His presentation of the village idyll sold well but he resented sharing it. :chuckle:

Back