Is 'Vegan Meat' Just MEAT?

Floyd1

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Mrs Floyd is a vegan (which is taking things a step too far in my opinion) and I'm pescatarian and there are some very realistic 'fake' meats out there but I have found that even though at first they often do taste very authentic (in some cases), especially if you've stopped eating meat for only a year or so, after a few times they don't taste as quite as genuine.

As for eating out, it depends how 'strict' you are with yourself. I couldn't do it as I wouldn't trust the person who has prepared it to have not cross-contaminated anything. I could perhaps do it if it was a small establishment and ALL the staff were also dedicated v/v/p, but not at somewhere that also serves meat as well- (and certainly not pork).

But, if you are v/v/p, should you really be wanting to replicate the taste of meat anyway?

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
Reaction score
I just looked up Pescatarian, seems like i am an ovo lactose one, cause i eat fish and eggs wtf, im a veggie, screw the added words

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
I just looked up Pescatarian, seems like i am an ovo lactose one, cause i eat fish and eggs wtf, im a veggie, screw the added words
On that basis, l’m a vegetarian. Between meals.

maximus otter

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Reaction score
Quorn mince is very similar to meat in terms of flavour and texture. My wife is veggie and I used to make two spag bol. Tasted hers and couldn't tell the difference so I always and only do veggie spag bol now.

henry

still speeding
Reaction score
ive been vagatarian since 96 ... never liked meat, mainly the texture ... seems like there are several plant-based meat free vegan beef jerkies out there ...

Ogdred Weary

No Lives Matter
Reaction score
Quorn mince is very similar to meat in terms of flavour and texture. My wife is veggie and I used to make two spag bol. Tasted hers and couldn't tell the difference so I always and only do veggie spag bol now.
I thought that until I had a meat spag bol a few years ago, I pretty much only have that dish at my parents, my sister is veggie and mother isn't too keen on most meat, so we've made quorn spag bol for years. I actually prefer quorn in that case, despite being a meat eater. I almost always prefer quorn sausages to meat ones as well.

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Reaction score
I thought that until I had a meat spag bol a few years ago, I pretty much only have that dish at my parents, my sister is veggie and mother isn't too keen on most meat, so we've made quorn spag bol for years. I actually prefer quorn in that case, despite being a meat eater. I almost always prefer quorn sausages to meat ones as well.
I don’t care for quorn burgers, not much experience of the sausages.

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Tried Quorn a few years back, it was vile, but things improve,
maybe it's time for another try, seen some Quorn sausages
in the local CoOp may give them a go.

Ogdred Weary

No Lives Matter
Reaction score
I don’t care for quorn burgers, not much experience of the sausages.
I've not had a quorn burger in years, was never much of a fan. The "beef" ones were a bit grim, the "chicken" ones were OK from memory. The chicken pieces are OK, still often eat those as you can put them in a stir fry from frozen, which is handy if you've forgotten to defrost meat. There's not much of a taste but mixed in with other things and sauce they're nice.

Ogdred Weary

No Lives Matter
Reaction score
Tried Quorn a few years back, it was vile, but things improve,
maybe it's time for another try, seen some Quorn sausages
in the local CoOp may give them a go.
Those things are variable I think, the smaller pieces are generally better. That said, had a quorn "roast" that tasted a lot like turkey last Christmas. It was the most convincing "fake meat" that I've had.