• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

ISIS - IRAQ - SYRIA - IRAN: Does A New War Bloom?

As I grew up I was endlessly exposed to decent news and what seemed to be a constant Iran/Iraq war. At the end, one side had weapons and no-one but children to fire them and the other was reduced to an organised army with sticks and stones. Still they fought.

Indeed. I think it's difficult for people living in modern, secular states to understand the power of religious fervour of this sort. We haven't seen anything like it in Europe for hundreds of years and so I think there is a tendency to assume that the motivation must be something else, something we can understand... inequality, perhaps, or brave patriots striving against an imperial power.

Couple that with a general anti-Western outlook and you end up holding the position of some of the posters on this thread, not to mention journlaists like Seamus Milne and Robert Fisk.

But the reality is that this is nothing to do with the West. Sunni and Shia were at each other's throats long before "the West" even existed as a cultural or political entity. It seems barbaric and bizarre to us, but there it is.

Anyone growing up seeing this would realise there is no hope for a united Middle East.

I think there is hope - not for a united Middle East, particularly, but for the beginnings of secular democracy in Iran and Kurdistan. Iran in particular has an educated, relatively prosperous, middle class and its younger members in particular have little interest in what the mullahs have to say or in religion generally. A secular Iran would make an enormous difference. Fingers crossed.

Some revealing comments from a British jihadi here:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014 ... ing-street

Highlights include:

There is nothing in Britain – it is just pure evil.

"If and when I come back to Britain it will be when this khilafah – this Islamic state – comes to conquer Britain and I come to raise the black flag of Islam over Downing Street, over Buckingham Palace, over Tower Bridge and over Big Ben."

my mother said, 'I have sold you to Allah. I don't want to see you again in this world.'

Quake42 said:
Some revealing comments from a British jihadi here:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014 ... ing-street

Highlights include:

There is nothing in Britain – it is just pure evil.

"If and when I come back to Britain it will be when this khilafah – this Islamic state – comes to conquer Britain and I come to raise the black flag of Islam over Downing Street, over Buckingham Palace, over Tower Bridge and over Big Ben."

my mother said, 'I have sold you to Allah. I don't want to see you again in this world.'

Truly frightening.

I don't think any IRA member ever wanted to raise the Papal flag over Buckingham Palace.

I understand that the fight between Muslim sects has gone on for centuries.

But nevertheless, we have an eruption of - shall we say - militantly evangelistic Islam in many parts of the world that have been relatively peaceful until now, coupled with a major breakdown in the Middle East and North Africa. These escalations seem to have everything to do with the West's actions in pursuing both oil and unreasonable political ends and behaving with total ignorance of the ancient tribal and religious interests on the ground. Of course the fanatics now have a momentum of their own, but they did not spontaneously manifest from nowhere.

I have to add that the British Empire might have been to blame pre WW2, but the US since Suez has acted with the diplomatic understanding of a rabid poodle. Blair's illegal war in support has destroyed any reputation we in the UK might have salvaged from the wreck.

Pietro_Mercurios said:
ramonmercado said:

Truly frightening.

I don't think any IRA member ever wanted to raise the Papal flag over Buckingham Palace.
Perhaps not. But, some of them would have been quite happy to have seen the Swastika flying there and we all know that Hitler was a Roman Catholic.

A very few of them were nazi supporters in that period. Sean Russell tried to get aid from Germany but as he said he wasn't pro nazi or even pro German.

In the late 1930s both the SS SD-Ausland (SD foreign intelligence). under Heydrich and the Abwehr under Canaris were competing to control the IRAs attitude towards actions in Britain. The SS wanted a bombing campaign and used the German Bund in the US to infiltrate the IRA support organisation in the US, providing funds for a campaign. Tom Barry who was contact in the Abwehr, seeing Canaris as a non-nazi military man, opposed the bombing campaign but lost. He then resigned as Chief of Staff of the IRA and Sean Russell took over.

Tom Barry joined the Irish Army durng WW2 and was head of Intelligence in the Army's Southern Command,

I think you'll find that many members of the British establishment would have been happy to see the Swastika flying in the UK as long as they got to be the localQuislings. Many of them weren't even Catholics.

But Russell didn't want to raise the Papal Flag over Buckingham Palace and Blair is also a Roman Catholic.

Pietro_Mercurios said:
ramonmercado said:
... and Blair is also a Roman Catholic.
Not exactly evidence for the defence.

Indeed, but you rather strangely pointed out that Hitler was an RC. As were many members of the Resistance in France and Germany/Austria.

ramonmercado said:
Pietro_Mercurios said:

Have a problem with RCs do you? Well the House of Orange reigns in your neck of the woods.
These are the days in which Guardian prints articles cheering on the Orange Order's entry into the Scottish independence debate on the no side.

But, if you must know, although I'm not RC myself, I was in Aachen a couple of weeks back, on a pilgrimage of a sort. Well worth the trip, I thought.

I just thought it was worth making a point about extremism, even from some of those cuddly IRA types of fond memory.

Pietro_Mercurios said:
ramonmercado said:
Pietro_Mercurios said:

Have a problem with RCs do you? Well the House of Orange reigns in your neck of the woods.
These are the days in which Guardian prints articles cheering on the Orange Order's entry into the Scottish independence debate on the no side.

But, if you must know, although I'm not RC myself, I was in Aachen a couple of weeks back, on a pilgrimage of a sort. Well worth the trip, I thought.

I just thought it was worth making a point about extremism, even from some of those cuddly IRA types of fond memory.

One of my cousins was murdered by the MI5 agent in the IRA, Sean O'Callaghan. I came close to being killed by an IRA bomb that went off prematurely, fortunately only the detonator fired. It was the Slieve Donard Hotel in Newcastle, County Down. I was at an ICTU conference; IRA bombed it because RUC officers drank there.

Nothing cuddly about the IRA but nothing cuddly about the Orange State that made RCs second class citizens in the UK for 50 years either. Nothing cuddly about the shenanigans of the Securocrats manipuating Republican and Loyalists either.

Fuck religion. We're 'civilised' now. It's only going to drag us back to the stone age...and I don't think that's what God would want of us.

Unfortunately that has been the attitude of Western leaders - they've left religion out of their calculations. But in the parts of the world they have been doing their 7th Cavalry bit in, unfortunately, religion is top of the agenda.

Cochise said:
Unfortunately that has been the attitude of Western leaders - they've left religion out of their calculations. But in the parts of the world they have been doing their 7th Cavalry bit in, unfortunately, religion is top of the agenda.

That's not true in the USA, where christianism, and especially protestant fundamentalism, plays a major role. It has notably a huge influence on the US foreign policy, mainly in Near and Middle East, and explains the support to Zionism. Their policy is motivated by lunacies born from the litteral interpretation of the Bible.
Even the non-fundamentalist western rulers have deliberately helped to build and promoted the most sectarian islamist movements because they wanted to spread chaos. And they keep doing that, it's not something from the past. In fact, supporting extremist groups is an usual strategy for them in many regions of the world, they're doing the same in Ukraine with neo-Nazis.

How the jihadists are subtly supported can be deciphered in the double talk of Western rulers. In a press release, the White House has issued that 5 billon dollars will be dedicated to the creation of the Partnership Counterrorism Fund, including 0.5 billion « to help to protect the Syrian people [sic], to help to stabilize the areas under the control of the syrian opposition, to counter the terrorist threats [re-sic] », blah blah blah. But what does this propaganda more perfected than anything that Goebells could conceive of mean, concretely ?

http://www.voltairenet.org/article184499.html

[…...]
In this release from the White House, what does « stabilize the areas under control of the opposition » mean ? It can not be the creation of embryonic States because these areas are too small and not in contact. Probably it means to create security areas for Israel. The first one at the Isreal-Syria border and the second at the Turkish-Syria border, so that Damas would be under a pincer attack in case of a war. These areas would be let to « controlled parts of the Syrian opposition » confirming that Washington's support to the Contras is not intended anymore to overthrow the Syrian State, but only to protect the Jewish colony in Palestine.
« I think that this notion that somehow there was this already made moderate syrian opposition force that was able to defeat [president Bashar] Assad is certainly not true. We had spent a lot of time trying to work with a moderate opposition in Syria (…) the notion that they were in a position to suddenly overturn not only Assad but also ruthless, highly trained jihadists if we just sent a few arms is a fantasy. And I think it's very important for the American people - but maybe more importantly, Washington and the press corps - to understand that."

[…...]
King Abdullah, who had been resting a long time in Morocco, is back to Riyad. His plane stopped at Cairo on the return trip. Unable to move, the king met general Al-Sissi in his plane. He confirmed to him that the US could not overthrow his family. And to prove his claim, he guaranteed him that his kingdom controlled and would always control Daesh. And that for this reason, he had called back into office prince Bandar Bin Sultan, who was accompanying him aboard his plane.

Since 2001 and Bin Laden's true death, prince Bandar was the true head of the jihadist world network. This grand master of secret wars having failed to depose Bashar el-Assad and having fallen out with the US during the chemical attacks crisis, was dismissed at John Kerry's request. His comeback is the key card for the Saoud : Washington won't be able to send the jihadists against the kingdom as long as he'll be in charge.

[…...]

On 26, the secretary of state met in Paris his colleagues from Saudi Arabia, the United Earab Emirates and Jordan. Accordingt to Associated Press, Washington hopes that Saudi Arabia and Jordan will use cross-border Bedouin tribes to carry weapons and money to support Iraqi sunnis (which means: to support Daesh).

During the later stages of this trip, John Kerry went on 27 in Saudi Arabia. There he met the president of the National Syrian Coalition, Ahmad Jarba. He underlined that Mr Jarba is a member of the Chammar bedouin tribe (like king Abdullah) which also lives in Iraq and that the « moderate syrian opposition » could help to stabilize Iraq on a military level. We should ask how people who were « unable » to overthrow Syria despite the amount of help they were given, could play any military role in Iraq and why Mr Jarba, who has personal ties with Daesh, would fight it.

Just prior to meet the secretary of state, king Abdullah decided « to take any required steps to protect the belongings of the nation and its territories, and the security and the stability of the saudi people (…) in the case that terrorist organisations, or others, would be a danger to the security of our homeland ».

In the same path, king Abdullah chose to put into charge of the handling of the Iraqi situation... Prince Bandar, whom he had fired on 15 April, to the request of John Kerry, both for his failure to depose president Bashar El Assad and for his sudden hostility to the Obama government.

Riyad is ready to help Washington to dismantle Iraq, but won't allow it to move to Arabia.

Understanding this message, the syrian « temporary government » - put into place by the National Coalition - dismissed general Abdel Ilah al-Bashir and his whole staff (made of officers only from the Neim bedouin tribe). Having no more troops nor officers, the Coalition could say with certainty that, as soon as they will be received, the promised 500 millions dollars would go almost directly to Daech.

Iraq is obviously under a vast attack from a coalition of foreign countries, and the renewed war on terror is a facade as its predecessor was. I doubt that it will really extend to Saudi Arabia, but if it happens, well, like the Turks, they will have had it coming. In any case, the return of prince Bandar Bin Sultan has a meaning. It is also worrying to see that maps of redrawn borders of the Middle East tend to become trivialized in the media ; attempts to slowly accustome the public to what will come next.

This article points also that :

As it was to be expected, the United States confirmed that they won't intervene with ground troops and threaten the states who would come to the help of Iraqi government of Nouri Al Maliki. So, when Maliki THANKED Syria to have come into Iraqi territory to bomb Daech's lines, John Kerry frowned : "We've made it clear to everyone in the region that we don't need anything to take place that might exacerbate the sectarian divisions that are already at a heightened level of tension,"[5]

[5] “Kerry issues warning after Syria bombs Iraq”, par Hamza Hendawi et Lara Jakes, Associated Press, 25 juin 2014. *

The only comment is that helping Iraq is clearly not the priority.

* http://bigstory.ap.org/article/iraq-mil ... l-refinery

To sort out how the oil that helped to provide daesh money was sold : not only with the consent, but with the active help of the Western powers, as it couldn't not be the case.

http://www.voltairenet.org/article184382.html
Jihadism and the Petroleum Industry
by Thierry Meyssan
While the Western media portray the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant as a group of jihadists reciting the Qur’an, the ISIL has started the oil war in Iraq. With the help of Israel, it has cut off Syria’s supply and guaranteed the theft of oil from Kirkuk by the local government of Kurdistan. The sale will be assured by Aramco who will camouflage this diversion as increased "Saudi" production.

VOLTAIRE NETWORK | 23 JUNE 2014

[…...]
The Atlanticist press, which denies the sponsorship of NATO, learnedly explained that the ISIL suddenly became rich by conquering oil wells. This was already the case in northern Syria, but it had not noticed it. The western press had tried to deal with the fights between the al-Nosra Front and the Islamic Emirate as a rivalry exacerbated by the "regime", while they sought to monopolize the oil wells.

However, a question arises to which the Atlanticist media and the Gulf's still has no answer: how can these terrorists sell oil on the international market so monitored by Washington? In March, the Libyan Benghazi separatists had failed to sell the oil that they had seized. The U.S. Navy intercepted the tanker Morning Glory and had returned it to Libya. [1]

If the Frente al-Nosra and the ISIL are able to sell oil on the international market, they are authorized by Washington and are linked to storefront oil companies.

Chance has it that the annual world congress of the oil companies was held from June 15 to 19 in Moscow. We thought there would be talk of Ukraine, but there the issues were Iraq and Syria. It was learned that the oil stolen by the Frente al-Nosra in Syria is sold by Exxon-Mobil (the Rockefeller firm that rules Qatar), while that of ISIL is operated by Aramco (USA / Saudi Arabia ). Note in passing that during the Libyan conflict, NATO authorized Qatar (that is to say, Exxon-Mobil) to sell oil from the " territories liberated by al-Qaeda”.

We can therefore read the current fighting, as all those of the twentieth century in the Middle East, as a war between oil companies. [2] The fact that the ISIL is financed by Aramco is enough to explain why Saudi Arabia claims to be able to compensate for the decline in Iraqi production: the kingdom would just put its stamp on the stolen barrels to legalize them.

The ISIL breakthrough allows it to control the two main pipelines: the one exiting toward Banias to supply Syria while the other transporting crude to the Turkish port of Ceyhan. The Islamic Emirate has interrupted the first, causing additional power outages in Syria, but strangely, it allows the second to function.

This is because this pipeline is used by the local pro-Israel Kurdistan government to export the oil it just stole from Kirkuk. However, as I explained last week [3], the ISIL attack is coordinated with Kurdistan to cut Iraq into three smaller states, according to the map reshaping "the Greater Middle East" established by US Staff in 2001, that the U.S. military failed to win in 2003, but Senator Joe Biden had adopted by Congress in 2007. [4]

Kurdistan has begun its oil exports from Kirkuk via the ISIL-controlled pipeline. Within days, it was able to load two tankers at Ceyhan, chartered by Palmali Shipping & Agency JSC, the company of billionaire Turkish-Azeri Mubariz Gurbano?lu. However, after the al-Maliki government, which has not been overthrown by Washington, issued a note denouncing this theft, none of the companies usually working in Kurdistan (Chevron, Hess, Total) dared to buy this oil. Failing to find a buyer, Kurdistan has declared its readiness to sell its cargo at half price at $ 57.5 per barrel, while continuing its traffic. Two other tankers are being loaded, always with the blessing of the ISIL. The fact that traffic continues in the absence of a market shows that Kurdistan and the ISIL are convinced that they will succeed in finding a buyer, indicating they have the same state supports: Israel and Saudi Arabia.
[…...]

The stolen Iraqi oil has finally found a buyer. Unsurprisingly, it is a State with a long tradition of piracy of all kind, Israel :

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/06/ ... X620140620

Israel accepts first delivery of disputed Kurdish pipeline oil
By Julia Payne

LONDON Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:55am EDT

(Reuters) - A tanker delivered a cargo of disputed crude oil from Iraqi Kurdistan's new pipeline for the first time on Friday in Israel, despite threats by Baghdad to take legal action against any buyer.

The SCF Altai tanker arrived at Israel's Ashkelon port early on Friday morning, ship tracking and industry sources said. By the evening, the tanker began unloading the Kurdish oil, a source at the port said.

The port authority at Ashkelon declined to comment. Securing the first sale of oil from its independent pipeline is crucial for the Kurdish Regional Government (KRG) as it seeks greater financial independence from war-torn Iraq. But the new export route to the Turkish port of Ceyhan, designed to bypass Baghdad's federal pipeline system, has created a bitter dispute over oil sale rights between the central government and the Kurds.

Reuters was not able to confirm whether the KRG sold the oil directly to a buyer in Israel or to another party. Oil cargoes often change hands multiple times before reaching their final destination.The United States, Israel's closest ally, does not support independent oil sales by the Kurdish region and has warned possible buyers against accepting the cargoes.

Israeli leaders have been alarmed in recent months, however, by signs of a possible rapprochement between Washington and Iran.

Officials said Israel was keen to build good ties with the Kurds, hoping to expand its limited diplomatic network in the Middle East and broaden options for energy supplies.

It was not clear whether the crude in the SCF Altai has been sold to a local refiner or was slated to discharge into storage, potentially for another destination.

“We do not comment on the origin of crude oil being imported by the private refineries in Israel,” an Israeli energy ministry spokeswoman said.

FIRST SALES

The first tanker to carry Kurdish pipeline oil is still homeless after loading in May. After a false start sailing to the United States, the United Leadership tanker turned back towards Morocco, where it is anchored after local authorities refused to let it discharge for the Mohammedia refinery.

The SCF Altai did not arrive directly from Ceyhan.

The United Emblem was the second tanker to load crude at Ceyhan from the KRG pipeline at the start of last week. It then made a ship-to-ship transfer near Malta to the SCF Altai during June 14-16, several Maltese shipping and market sources said and ship tracking showed.

A third tanker was loading 1 million barrels of oil from the pipeline, a source at the Turkish ministry said on Friday.

Several market sources said the United Emblem tanker, which loaded the second batch, had gone back to Ceyhan to load the third cargo. Ship tracking showed the tanker berthed at one of the Ceyhan jetties on Friday.

Israeli refineries have taken Kurdish crude oil before but in small volumes, which were shipped to Turkish ports by truck. Some oil has also been stored there.

The KRG began exporting a small volume of its Taq Taq crude grade by truck to Turkey in early 2013 and then added another grade Shaikan at the start of this year.

Israel has less to lose than other U.S. or European refiners, because it has no contract for Iraqi oil. Iraq participates in the boycott of Israel along with many other Arab states.

Italy has warned traders and refineries about the legal risks of importing the oil. Large companies with oilfield interests in southern Iraq have stayed clear, although a joint refining venture by Rosneft and BP used a cargo of trucked oil in May.

The KRG's pipeline is currently pumping around 120,000 barrels per day to Ceyhan. The region's natural resources minister is aiming to export 400,000 bpd by year-end.

Emboldened by its takeover of the major Kirkuk oilfield in northern Iraq, the KRG is also openly talking about the potential of exporting this oil through its pipeline as well after Kirkuk's usual pipeline outlet was sabotaged.

(Additional reporting by Crispian Balmer and Steven Scheer in Jerusalem, Amir Cohen in Ashkelon, Orhan Coskun in Ankara and Ron Bousso in London; editing by Jane Baird)

That's not true in the USA, where christianism, and especially protestant fundamentalism, plays a major role. It has notably a huge influence on the US foreign policy, mainly in Near and Middle East, and explains the support to Zionism. Their policy is motivated by lunacies born from the litteral interpretation of the Bible.

Why would Christians support Zionists instead of Muslims? Both are 'religions of the book'.

Mind you, there are some very odd 'christians' about, maybe that's why you said 'christianism'. The only difference between christian extremists and muslim extremists as far as committing atrocities is concerned is that Christians can't claim they were instructed by Christ to do so. Well, not honestly, anyway.

They want Armageddon to start.

They believe in the literal reading of Revelations, they want the End Times, they will be swept up in The Rapture. Yes they are nucking futs, and it's scary.

Why would Christians support Zionists instead of Muslims?

Well, possibly because "Zionists" aren't burning churches and murdering hundreds of Christians. By the way I'm not sure whether "Zionist" is being used here, as usual, as code for "Jew" but either way the point holds. Jews and/or Zionists pose no threat to Christians or Christianity anywhere in the world. Islam, on the other hand...

There is also a fundamentialist Christian sect in the US which is quite anti-Semitic but supports Zionism because they believe it will usher in Armageddon and the Second Coming. Bonkers, but they are apparently surprisingly influential.

I was using 'zionist' to mean 'extreme zealot of the Jewish faith'.

From a Palestinaian point of view, the state of Israel has stolen their land. I doubt any single person could ever grok all the rights and wrongs involved - like Northern Ireland to an outsider - but there certainly are _some_ Jewish inhabitants of Israel who have a complete disregard for international law and the people who were there before them. (Who are likely their blood relatives from 2000 years ago, if there is any Middle Eastern bloodline left in the current Jewish population after 2000 years of atrocities directed against them).

Of course the other side are if anything worse. But its not a question of all saints on one side and all sinners on the other.

There are two interrelated problems, the Israel/Palestine question which has of course orchestrated itself on religious lines, and the fact that the Muslim religion, even for quite moderate Muslims, is itself still immature and aggressively evangelist. Not to mention that as a religion it espouses laws and community behaviour which is directly opposed to the West's current policy of multiculturalism - if the intention behind m/c was that we should all intermingle but retain mutual respect for our personal cultures.

If on the other hand the intention of multiculturalism was ghettoisation and religious hatred then it's going very well.

I was using 'zionist' to mean 'extreme zealot of the Jewish faith

That's not what it means, though, is it? A "Zionist" is someone who believes that the Jewish people should have a homeland and that this homeland should be based in their ancestral lands. Plenty of secular Jews and non-Jews are Zionists and some of the most Orthodox of Jews are not.

As I say "Zionist" is regularly used by the extreme Left and Right as code for "Jew" and has become something of an insult. I have no idea why as the same people who foam at the mouth at the thought of "Zionists" are happy to support self-determination of pretty much everyone else everywhere. Except when they're Jewish (or British, incidentally).

:?

Quake42 said:
I was using 'zionist' to mean 'extreme zealot of the Jewish faith

That's not what it means, though, is it? A "Zionist" is someone who believes that the Jewish people should have a homeland and that this homeland should be based in their ancestral lands. Plenty of secular Jews and non-Jews are Zionists and some of the most Orthodox of Jews are not.

As I say "Zionist" is regularly used by the extreme Left and Right as code for "Jew" and has become something of an insult. I have no idea why as the same people who foam at the mouth at the thought of "Zionists" are happy to support self-determination of pretty much everyone else everywhere. Except when they're Jewish (or British, incidentally).

I could be called a Zionist, I support the right of Israel to exist.

But I am appalled at the treatment of Palestinians.

In an ideal world there would be a Democratic State of Israel/Palestine but thats not where we live. Israel has to withdraw from the Occuoied Territories fully and on a voluntary basis cede more territory to resolve the Right of Return question.

If Israel can absorb 800,000 Russian Jews in 20 years then it can make some allowances for the Palestinian refugees.

Cochise said:
Why would Christians support Zionists instead of Muslims? Both are 'religions of the book'.

Others have already answered, this is the position of a number of protestant movements. They do not even like Jews, they believe that those who will not convert will be destroyed. The motivation for their support to Zionism is just that, to hasten Armageddon and the Second Coming, following prophesies that they will happen after the return of the Jews to Palestine. I'll add that this current is not a mere « sect » : it comprises a large part of the evangelical movement. President George W. Bush was one of them, his policy in the Near East was mainly motivated by his biblical lunacies (he allegedly even mentioned Gog and Maggog to his French colleague Chirac). So his movement is definitely not a marginal folkloric item from the Bible Belt, but a very powerful and noxious force behind US foreign policy. And it is at the very roots of Zionism. Puritan British protestants were its true « inventors », it seems that Cromwel was the first to argue for the rebuilding of Israel. They were the main influence behind the Balfur Declaration. David Lloyd George was one of them and it is established that his intent was to hasten the End Times. Without them, Israel would have never come into existence.

Cochise said:
Mind you, there are some very odd 'christians' about, maybe that's why you said 'christianism'. The only difference between christian extremists and muslim extremists as far as committing atrocities is concerned is that Christians can't claim they were instructed by Christ to do so. Well, not honestly, anyway.

This is not the right place to discuss that, I'll just say that the Bible is full of calls to religious intolerance and murders. Monotheism is expansionist and has a tendency to erase any other religion, because it is in its nature (and well two monotheisms collide, the fact that they are both 'religions of the book' matters little).

Quake42 said:

Zionist has become something of an insult, because Zionism is not a nice ideology. As for your second remark, the reason appears to be clear : Jews are not a 'people' or a 'nation' in any of the meanings usually ascribed to these words. They are not a territorial entity, and are so not entitled to any territorial rights. And they have not even an ancestral homeland, the belief that they come from Palestine is a myth. Even if that was true, as they would have left it two millenia ago, they would have lost all right to it.
Those who believe that there is one population to which the right to self-determination does not apply are the Zionists (jewish and non-jewish) who believe that the Palestinians have none.
When you mention the British, I hope that you don't think of the Falklanders ?

OK, I stand corrected on several counts. I had assumed Zionist referred to people as I described them.

I'm a Protestant, but the Church of Wales goes out of its way not to be deliberately nasty to anyone - which is , in my opinion, as it should be. It does adapt quite slowly, but given time it does adapt. I'm less adaptable, I'm afraid, but that's part of the ageing process I expect.

Despite living in the US for several years, it never struck me as a particularly religious place, but then I was in Connecticut.

Nevertheless, the establishment of Israel as what appears to be an exclusively Jewish state ignoring the interests of the previous population seems to me to be repeating the mistake of the Crusades. The Middle East is fervently Muslim, and has been for 1300 years or so, with short interruptions that have invariably ended in major violence.

The Falklanders are certainly British. Whether the islands ought to be is more debatable - the sequence of events as it is understood here is that there was no indigenous population, but that might just be our version of events. I've only looked into it briefly, but the history seems to be similar to that of a lot of inhospitable oceanic islands , in that a ship would arrive, claim it for its own, then leave again. And the next ship would do the same.

However, the islands are British by current UN rules. The UN may not be a very effective organisation for refereeing international questions, but like democracy its better than anything else we've tried.

the establishment of Israel as what appears to be an exclusively Jewish state ignoring the interests of the previous population

Well, a few things:

(1) There was a long history of Jewish and Arab settlement in the Middle East. The Jewish presence in the Holy Land, obviously, predates that of the Arabs by some way but regardless both peoples have a long and continuous presence in the area. Both had valid claims to a homeland.

(2) Israel is most certainly not "exclusively Jewish". 20% of the population is Arab, mostly Muslim but with significant Christian and Druze minorities. Israeli Arabs are full citizens. Contrast with the treatment of Jews in Arab countries who were largely expelled after the formation of Israel.

(3) When the area was carved up post-WWII the reality was that the Arabs got 99% of the land and the Jews 1%. The Arabs have spent a great deal of time since whining about the 1% rather than getting on and making their countries successful.

There have been a lot of faults on both sides but the pathological obsession with Israel on the part of the Muslim world and much of the contemporary Left leaves a nasty taste in the mouth.

Cochise said:
The Falklanders are certainly British. Whether the islands ought to be is more debatable - the sequence of events as it is understood here is that there was no indigenous population, but that might just be our version of events. I've only looked into it briefly, but the history seems to be similar to that of a lot of inhospitable oceanic islands , in that a ship would arrive, claim it for its own, then leave again. And the next ship would do the same.

However, the islands are British by current UN rules. The UN may not be a very effective organisation for refereeing international questions, but like democracy its better than anything else we've tried.

That's not where I would draw a comparison with Zionism. The current Falklanders are British, none would dispute that. However, the Argentinians consider that it doesn't matter, as they're not indigenous, are a transplated population and have expelled the previous inhabitants, so are entitled to no rights. You may argue over that, answer that with the passing of time the dispute should be burried, for example. But in any case, if you compare to the Zionist arguments, Ms Fernandez de Kirchner has a far much better case than them. The Falklands were Argentinian only 181 years ago, not two millenia ; and the small Argentinian population was really expelled. If one admits the legitimacy of the Zionists' claims, then he should admit the legitimacy of the Argentinians' claims too. I am troubled by the strange double standard used by some here.

Quake42 said:
(1) There was a long history of Jewish and Arab settlement in the Middle East. The Jewish presence in the Holy Land, obviously, predates that of the Arabs by some way but regardless both peoples have a long and continuous presence in the area. Both had valid claims to a homeland.

This is the typical kind of Zionist propaganda, that mixes completely different notions. There were not two people, only one indigenous population of various obediences, and it was not even a foreign people ; by 'Arabs' we mean here in fact the direct descendants of ancient Cananeans, Hebrews, Judeans and Galileans, who just became Christians and Muslims, or sometimes remained Jews. In any case, all of this is so old that no community could claim any special right.

The presence there of Jews, a religious community, is of no relevance, as it gave them no right over other communities, and moreover no right to foreign Jews over non-Jewish locals (not more than the presence of Christians or Muslims in Palestine gave any Christian or Muslim from all over the world the right to come to and rule over Palestine). The land has not even been under Jewish rule, except for the relatively short time of the reign of the Hasmoneans. In fact, if we use this bogus logic, the Christians have more rights to rule the 'Holy Land' than the Jews – after all, that's what they did during the Crusades, using the same kind of arguments. As have the Greeks, the Romans or the Egyptians.

Still, as a non-territorial entity, Jews had no right to a homeland.

Quake42 said:
(2) Israel is most certainly not "exclusively Jewish". 20% of the population is Arab, mostly Muslim but with significant Christian and Druze minorities. Israeli Arabs are full citizens. Contrast with the treatment of Jews in Arab countries who were largely expelled after the formation of Israel.

That's easy to say, as Israel had already expelled most of the natives. And Israelian Arabs were not full citizens, they have ben subjects to various kinds of discriminations and many have been deported, even in recent decades.
Where Jews remain in Arab countries, they are citizens. Arab governments did not try to deport them, except to some extant in Iraq, and it is possible that the Mossad had a hand in the climate of terror that led them to emigrate. If so many fled, it was because of an atmosphere of fear around them, but of this, Zionism was also responsible.

Quake42 said:
(3) When the area was carved up post-WWII the reality was that the Arabs got 99% of the land and the Jews 1%.

There I just don't understand. More than 50 % of the area was given to people who were mostly not natives, but immigrants, foreigners, and so had no right of any kind to the land of Palestine.

To come back to the topic, now that Israel is preparing to destabilize the region a little more by recognizing the independance of Iraqi Kurdistan, I wonder what is its position on the return of Kurdish displacees ?

The issues over the Falklands, while not irrelevant, hinge on disputes over the exact sequence of events, I don't know which version is correct, and since the islands were of little account until oil came into the picture, I'm not sure there is an accurate record anywhere. The US also have a claim, I believe. If the Argentinian version of events is correct - that they owned the islands and we evicted them - then of course they have a claim, but my understanding is that the Islands had been claimed for Britain before any Argentinians arrived - indeed before Argentina existed as a country.

I don't think there is anything wrong with Jews living in Palestine - there was a sizeable Christian community there as well. What I think is provocative and unfair is the idea that somehow the Israelis are a returning people who are driving out invaders - here I agree with Analis.

Back