• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I can see Brian Blessed as Bombadil.

If anyone attempts to film/televise the Sil they will be flogged to death by Balrogs...

...or savaged to death by wargs...

...or hung by one wrist from a cliff....

...or have their treasury ransacked by (presumably critical) dwarves...

...Any number of terrible things...the Sil fans are very rabid.

Rumour is, it's not a remake of LOTR but will "explore" the other materials, or stuff that is mentioned in passing in the book/appendices. I dunno if the rights cover stuff like The Silmarillion or the Histories of Middle-earth. There's tonnes of stuff in Silmarillion alone, as it's disjointed but entire chapters of it would make movies...

They may not have the rights to everything though, I'm not sure.

I just watched the Witcher prequel, Blood Origin and may just be me but I preferred it to The Witcher.

They have the rights to The Hobbit and LOTR + possibly some appendices (I think that's how they used Azog), these were sold in the 60s before The Silmarillion et al were published.

I think Amazon bought the rights to the LOTR appendices and a few other things, they can't use The Silmarillion, the estate is holding onto that, for now...

They have the rights to The Hobbit and LOTR + possibly some appendices (I think that's how they used Azog), these were sold in the 60s before The Silmarillion et al were published.

I think Amazon bought the rights to the LOTR appendices and a few other things, they can't use The Silmarillion, the estate is holding onto that, for now...
Ah have they got Saul Zaentz's old rights? I did wonder, as I knew they'd expired but thought maybe, since Christopher Tolkien's death, the estate may have negotiated another deal entirely.

Škocjan caves in Slovenia look like a real life version of Khazad Dum.
Half expect to see a balrog on that bridge.

caves1.png

caves2.png

caves3.png

In the early 1970s, a Danish woman named Ingahild Grathmer wrote to J.R.R. Tolkien, asking the elderly author if she could illustrate the Danish version of The Lord of the Rings trilogy. Enclosed in the letter she placed some of her work.
Tolkien was so impressed with the clean, Nordic look of her artwork that he agreed.

LOTR.png

What Tolkien didn't realise at the time was that Ingahild Grathmer was a pseudonym and partial anagram of the woman's birth name. Tolkien had been corresponding with Margarethe II, the Queen of Denmark, who, only this week, has announced her abdication.

Back