• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I recently got an autographed photo of George Lazenby. I've included his business card below for anyone interested.

007a.jpg

007b.jpg

007c.jpg

I'm just, for some strange reason (maybe alcohol-related, I'm not sure XD) compelled to wander into this thread to say.. I frickin' hate James Bond films and have never seen one all the way through, I can't imagine many things worse TBH!

I utterly despise spy and mafia films, even above my normal dislike for films in general. FGS, have you nothing better to do with your time?!!

Feel free to hate on me, I don't care! :rollingw:

I'm just, for some strange reason (maybe alcohol-related, I'm not sure XD) compelled to wander into this thread to say.. I frickin' hate James Bond films and have never seen one all the way through, I can't imagine many things worse TBH!

I utterly despise spy and mafia films, even above my normal dislike for films in general. FGS, have you nothing better to do with your time?!!

Feel free to hate on me, I don't care! :rollingw:
:D

The only way they could have made No Time To Die any worse would have been if they'd got The Cheeky Girls to do the main theme. It was as if they got everyone sat around a table to talk about what made Bond films good and then deliberately did the exact opposite on purpose. They could have added a CGI Rod Hull and Emu as the villain and I wouldn't have cared. It was pants to the level of suspected sabotage.

The only way they could have made No Time To Die any worse would have been if they'd got The Cheeky Girls to do the main theme. It was as if they got everyone sat around a table to talk about what made Bond films good and then deliberately did the exact opposite on purpose. They could have added a CGI Rod Hull and Emu as the villain and I wouldn't have cared. It was pants to the level of suspected sabotage.
Have they gone too 'pc' with it now as well?

Agreed, I detested it.

Listening to a variety of radio channels just yesterday and as I browsed past one of them (I really don’t know which) they were having the presenter have a stab at some Bond related trivia questions….which he failed at in a quite comprehensive manner. The one that ticked me off though was “How many persons have portrayed James Bond on screen” to which he answered 6….only to be told that it’s either 7 or 8! FFS, if you’re going to ask someone a trivia question at least have the decency to have a definitive answer for them! Anyhoo; who’s going to provide the definitive answer for us on here?

It probably hinges on wether you count David Niven's portrayal.

Listening to a variety of radio channels just yesterday and as I browsed past one of them (I really don’t know which) they were having the presenter have a stab at some Bond related trivia questions….which he failed at in a quite comprehensive manner. The one that ticked me off though was “How many persons have portrayed James Bond on screen” to which he answered 6….only to be told that it’s either 7 or 8! FFS, if you’re going to ask someone a trivia question at least have the decency to have a definitive answer for them! Anyhoo; who’s going to provide the definitive answer for us on here?
Ooer - you're right!
Hard to believe... but Bob Holness?

So, 'No Time To Die';

Better than I was expecting, but seemed to lose momentum towards the end.
I'd have liked to have seen Tanner do a bit more as well. Also;

A terrible theme song and Léa Seydoux's character is really starting to grate now.
NH.jpg

The best thing about it was Naomie Harris in her leather skirt and red shirt combo.....

I'm currently reading John Higgs' "Love And Let Die", a brilliant examination of the fundamental influence Bond and The Beatles have had over British culture - highly recommended, as are all of Higgs' books.

From it, I've just learnt an absolutely gob-smackingly amazing fact.
I recently got an autographed photo of George Lazenby. I've included his business card below for anyone interested.
When Lazenby quit, Broccoli and Saltzman panicked slightly and hit upon the idea that an American actor would be worth a shot, esp as the Vegas-based Diamonds Are Forever was next up. Amongst the front-runners were Clint Eastwood (no surprise), James Coburn (but he'd already done "Our Man Flint" so ruled out), and... Adam West.

I don't care about an American playing Bond. I would watch the living fuck out of Adam West as 007.

I'm currently reading John Higgs' "Love And Let Die", a brilliant examination of the fundamental influence Bond and The Beatles have had over British culture - highly recommended, as are all of Higgs' books.

From it, I've just learnt an absolutely gob-smackingly amazing fact.

When Lazenby quit, Broccoli and Saltzman panicked slightly and hit upon the idea that an American actor would be worth a shot, esp as the Vegas-based Diamonds Are Forever was next up. Amongst the front-runners were Clint Eastwood (no surprise), James Coburn (but he'd already done "Our Man Flint" so ruled out), and... Adam West.

I don't care about an American playing Bond. I would watch the living fuck out of Adam West as 007.
I'm always fascinated that Patrick McGoohan was offered the role of Bond. If his strong sense of morals, which apparently prevented him taking on the part*, could have been overcome, I could imagine him playing Bond as a restrained maniac only ever seconds from either saving the world or going nuts and pushing his Bond girl into the nearest death trap coz she'd slightly irritated him.

*- his strong moral stance didn't stop him playing several villains on Columbo, and a bad bastard in Silver Streak though.

“How many persons have portrayed James Bond on screen” to which he answered 6….only to be told that it’s either 7 or 8!
Anyhoo; who’s going to provide the definitive answer for us on here?
It probably hinges on wether you count David Niven's portrayal.
But is the answer 7 or 8……or more?

There have been six in "official" Eon productions, plus Niven and - if you count TV as "on screen" - Nelson. So seven or eight.

If you count all the other "James Bonds" in the Niven film, there's lots more.

I'm always fascinated that Patrick McGoohan was offered the role of Bond. If his strong sense of morals, which apparently prevented him taking on the part*, could have been overcome, I could imagine him playing Bond as a restrained maniac only ever seconds from either saving the world or going nuts and pushing his Bond girl into the nearest death trap coz she'd slightly irritated him.

*- his strong moral stance didn't stop him playing several villains on Columbo, and a bad bastard in Silver Streak though.
I wonder how Ranulph Fiennes would have done. He got into the last six only for old Rog to get it.

One for the Bond fans with a taste for the finer things...

macallan.jpg

The Macallan celebrates six decades of James Bond in a new limited edition series​

Inspired by their shared Scottish heritage, innovative spirit, and deep appreciation for the finest things in life, The Macallan’s ode to 007 is a timeless expression with remarkable strength and depth of character.
For a character who has built a significant pillar of his personality on loving martinis, one would expect James Bond to be something of a gin purist. But sharp-eyed fans of the famous franchise will have spotted the spy sipping a single malt Scotch in the movie Skyfall. And not just any Scotch, but The Macallan Fine & Rare 1962.
https://www.thepeakmagazine.com.sg/...-edition-series-fine-and-rare-whisky-skyfall/

One for the Bond fans with a taste for the finer things...

View attachment 65312

The Macallan celebrates six decades of James Bond in a new limited edition series​

Inspired by their shared Scottish heritage, innovative spirit, and deep appreciation for the finest things in life, The Macallan’s ode to 007 is a timeless expression with remarkable strength and depth of character.

https://www.thepeakmagazine.com.sg/...-edition-series-fine-and-rare-whisky-skyfall/

My birthday was last week Lord.

His cousin did become M, however.
Actually Stu, there are quite a few connections to Bond here. From 1953-68 Roger Moore lived ten miles up the road at Broxton, Daniel Craig's parents ran a pub another ten miles up in Tarporley (his Father died in 2020 just down the road in Oswestry) and Ranulph Fiennes lives about a mile away from me.

And of course we have the best Bond there never was- Benny from crossroads.

If I write to the production company offering my services as the next James Bond I could dine out for years on the story of how I was turned down for the role. (obviously leaving out the bit where they tell me to f**k off and stop wasting their time!)

By accident I started to watch the 1983 James Bond film Octopussy.

I nearly freaked out because it is a carbon copy of what is happening today.

A rogue Russian general is trying to take over Europe.

Right, no cheating - what is Bond's favourite meal (for any time of day or night)?
(Mentioned in nearly every Fleming novel, often on numerous occasions).

Right, no cheating - what is Bond's favourite meal (for any time of day or night)?
(Mentioned in nearly every Fleming novel, often on numerous occasions).
Strong coffee and not a lot else?

Interesting trivia:
Toby Stephens, who played Gustav Graves in Die Another Day, also played James Bond on radio productions of Goldfinger and Doctor No.

The Propellorheads did a great cover version of the opening title theme to OHMS.

Back