Jehovah's Witnesses Weirdness

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Reaction score
I just want to know what you mean by unsafe.

Generalising is useful only in some circumstances. In others your internal narratives lead to confirmation bias and so you end up making huge statements about things or people (in this case both!) which are unsupportable.

If you find that the limits and bias of the generalisation are acceptable then it is a useful exercise to consider why the results of such epistemological bad practice meet your needs and expectations.

Unsafe in the context of the careful and thoughtful examination this place supports and often achieves.

Carl Grove

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Generalising is useful only in some circumstances. In others your internal narratives lead to confirmation bias and so you end up making huge statements about things or people (in this case both!) which are unsupportable.

If you find that the limits and bias of the generalisation are acceptable then it is a useful exercise to consider why the results of such epistemological bad practice meet your needs and expectations.

Unsafe in the context of the careful and thoughtful examination this place supports and often achieves.
As a generalisation, I think it is fairly accurate, describing how belief systems, once entered, inhibit objective analysis. The aim of entering such a system, whether nominally religious, or political or scientific, is not really to find out the truth, but to join a community of persons who believe in the same things and therefore protect the members from criticism. They are in a box, as in the saying "thinking outside the box." Their true motive (finding social satisfaction) is hidden from them because they are willing to pay the price of membership. In some cults the price may be their own lives, of course. Scientific belief systems are just as bad at times, because they are nominally aimed at finding the truth about our universe and often reject automatically the kind of phenomena that we as Forteans are interested in because they realise that their own BS might be at risk if such phenomena are genuine.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Reaction score
As a generalisation, I think it is fairly accurate, describing how belief systems, once entered, inhibit objective analysis.

This is true of those belief systems for which it is true.

What about ones where you encouraged and expected to question everything?

Carl Grove

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
This is true of those belief systems for which it is true.

What about ones where you encouraged and expected to question everything?
In such cases (very rare) what is encouraged is not a belief but an attitude. In fact now I think of it, attitude is everything.