• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Paul_Exeter

Justified & Ancient
Fascinating new episode of the 'Mysterious Universe' podcast made all the more intriguing for me as it all happened about seven miles from where I'm typing this:

31.15 - MU Podcast - Gengha King of Dogs​

"Strange things are said to lurk in the seaside mist of England's Cornwall—strange creatures, occult groups, and otherworldly entities are said to have covered the land for centuries. We discuss an obscured report of an odd video tape, mentioned in an old forum post, purported to show an occult group performing a strange ritual. Those who view the tape are reportedly supernaturally affected by it. Is this just a legend influenced by the horror film "The Ring," or is there some truth to the story? A truth so terrifying that the group behind it will try to stop anyone who tries to reveal their hidden place in the forest?'

https://mysteriousuniverse.org/2024/04/31.15-MU-Podcast-Gengha-King-of-Dogs/

This website has a lot more detail and photos:

"13/08/19

This one was mentioned to me by a childhood friend of my Dad. By far the hardest to research of all the local spots.

Supposedly a burial ground of a sacred dog, there were rumours of a home movie from the late 1950s to early 1960s depicting members of the Essenes dressed in robes, carrying a casket to a remote part of Jericho Valley where there is said to be a ring of trees with a small clearing in the middle and burying it there. "

https://darktourismengland.wixsite.com/darktourismengland/post/abandoned-graveyard-for-sacred-dogs

"13/08/19

This one was mentioned to me by a childhood friend of my Dad. By far the hardest to research of all the local spots.

Supposedly a burial ground of a sacred dog, there were rumours of a home movie from the late 1950s to early 1960s depicting members of the Essenes dressed in robes, carrying a casket to a remote part of Jericho Valley where there is said to be a ring of trees with a small clearing in the middle and burying it there. "

https://darktourismengland.wixsite.com/darktourismengland/post/abandoned-graveyard-for-sacred-dogs

Somewhere in here, from the vague description in the Dark Tourism link:

IMG_1686.png

Trevellas Beach upper left; Perranporth road running N > S at right.

25”/mile Victorian map.

maximus otter

Somewhere in here, from the vague description in the Dark Tourism link:

View attachment 75814

Trevellas Beach upper left; Perranporth road running N > S at right.

25”/mile Victorian map.

maximus otter
Think I found the ring of trees close to a big house on Google maps near the head of the valley. But to be honest although the graveyard seems real the primary witness in the MU podcast is a bit ropey and the other Fortean events within the podcast are of more interest to me.

Coincidently, back in January a Truro-based work colleague showed me footage of a pagan ceremony that was stored on his phone (not YouTube). It looked the real thing and was quite impressive with white robed participants, fires burning etc. But his back story about it being filmed on Dartmoor didn't fit with my local knowledge and I suspect it was from closer to home. Unfortunately he has moved on but I do feel the footage was genuine and as he wouldn't let me hold the phone or watch it a second time, I also suspect he had some involvement

Ive been there. No Dog God.

Its just a rough old mining area, good for mineral hunts and chilling out.

Doesnt need a story to be fun...Heck, this is Cornwall!

Take a picnic.

(Cornwall full of Druids; many of them ordinary citizens. My tutor was one).

"13/08/19

I haven't listened to the podcast as yet.

Members from the Essenes - from biblical times?

Hi guys I live in Cornwall (middle of Bodmin moor) so surrounded by lots of spooky stuff
Very interested in this story tho!!
I'm going to be away exploring sacred sites in the Scottish Highlands and the outer hebrides until July but will then be back home if anybody is up for a respectful explore of the place? It's not to far away from me if anyone else is local

And could maybe see a few other sites while we are in the area there's lots of them

Let me know!

(P.s maybe slow on replys due to two month hiking expedition)

I haven't listened to the podcast as yet.

Members from the Essenes - from biblical times?

The Essenes were an ascetic sect of Judaism that died out around 70 AD, committed to celibacy and living in the wilds - John the Baptist was probably an Essene.

I think they were more interested in charity, community and the names of archangels than burying dogs, can't say I see much connection to the old Essene sect.

I lived in Cornwall six years and found the place unremarkable. (But I come from Wiltshire so Cornwall would be normal by my standards)

Many houses have odd names.

Someone once complained about strange foreign house names in Cornwall.

This is a Cornish Thing; Go away and mine in some odd land, make your fortune and return to name your villa after it.

Also; Methodists.

Probably lots of biblical named houses there.

(I saw LOTHLORIEN and RIVENDELL...)

Listened to this one today. Found it very interesting. A bit dubious about the fable cult video. But definitely interested in the lost grove circle. If the photographs are anything to go by the green outer tiles have really perked mu interest.
I hope this one continues to develop. Bravo.

Back