• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Jesus: Truth Or Myth?

hospitaller said:
Obviously this passage is not entirely genuine as here Josephus categorically calls Jesus "the Christ", whereas in the above cited passage he is "the so-called Christ".
However, scholars hold that some of the passage is genuine as it is in the style of Jospehus. "Now about this time..." being a favourite opener of his. What of the rest of it is genuine? Well if we remove all the references to Jesus as the Christ or as Divine we are left with a neutral description...
Yes, that "a teacher of such men as receive the truth with pleasure" bit sounds very neutral. Not.

TBF, Hospitaller, that should be 'many' scholars hold', for there are quite a few who feel that the longer reference is a complete fabrication inserted by a later, unknown, Xtian writer, attempting to write in the style of Josephus.

eljubbo said:
Further, Tacitus’ description of what Nero inflicted upon the Christians is by no means accepted wisdom. Nero was hated by the early(ish) Christians, indeed some argue the book of revelations “Great Beast”, whose number is 666 is actually referring to Nero. Something to do with the numerology of his name when passed through some early Christian Cypher. Don’t think it follows the Jewish system of Quabbalistic Aleph Bet numerology, however.
I've read in various sources (most recently in Tim Callahan's Secret Origins of The Bible, Millenium Press 2002, ISBN 0-9655047-8-6) that in the earliest surviving texts of the Book of Revelations, the Number of The Beast is actually given as '646' rather than '666', and that '646' is readily derived from Nero's name using various numerological systems that were contempoary. The same sources claimed that the number was changed to '666' by later NT editors after it became clear that Nero wasn't going to return from the dead after all (a common expectation at the time, apparently).

Zygon said:
I've read in various sources (most recently in Tim Callahan's Secret Origins of The Bible, Millenium Press 2002, ISBN 0-9655047-8-6)

Cool - I'll definately check that puppy out. Thanks for the heads-up Zygon...

Fallen Angel said:
I think the "Jesus as a con artist" theory falls down when you get to the arrest & crucifixion. Surely a joker would have said "Whaddya mean, 'turn him over to the Romans'? Those guys'll crucify me. Really crucify me. Okay, hold on, it was all a joke, see? I hired these guys to pretend that they were lame, or blind... Look, ask Peter. Pete, tell these Sanhedrin guys. Look, it was all a scam to get free food and foot-washing!"

I don't think so.

But if he was a nutjob who really thought he was the Son of God then he would take what was thrown at him as he'd believe that was what was intended for him.
Not a bible-geek at all, what hapens to Mary and Joseph beyond the stable incident?
I've always thought that Jeebus could just been a crank.
What happens when he makes his big comeback, modern day cynics would just regard him as a nutso freak.

There is much debate in some circles as to whether any of this passage can be seen as the true account. Indeed, as I mentioned previously, some scholars do not attribute this passage to Tacitus at all. There are many reasons for this, but I’ll do my best to cover a few:

Would you be able to provide any references for this train of thought (among scholars)?

I studied Tacitus for about 5 years - and never came across any argument about the veracity of this passage (although this was never the focus of any of my study).

I'm not trying to say you are wrong - but would be most interested to read a decent discussion about possible tampering with this account.

many thanks:)

OK, time to come clean: I pretty much took my whole argument from an amalgam of my copy of McKinsey's "Encyclapedia of Biblical errancy" and a website he does that goes into the wider world of Biblical error.

Website Here

Issues 32 and 33 i believe

The appendices for the book are as long as your arm, but i'll try to dig out the ones that refer to the Tacitean / Christian text specifically.

Apart from the 19th Century Scholar's who pretty much all wrote off Tacitus' entire output as fake, I read quite a good Scholarly account of Tacitus texts on the web recentlyhere, it's by This Guy Prof Doughty. He's a professor of New testament and seems to know his onions.

I also know about the enmity between McKinsey and JP Holding (or should I call him Robert Turkel), so am not stating the argument i put forward is "absolute truth", just to my mind there is more weight of evidence (non-evidence) on McKinsey's side than Herr Turkel's.

My opinion only - Hope you enjoy your own findings Bilde...

As regards my apparent
previously displayed knowledge of this era of history
this is all an education for me. This stuff isn't at the top of my head, but I do enjoy reading history and trying to gauge objectively what actually happened. Often this is not possible (even for very recent history) and we can only come up with what may have happened. This is particularly true for ancient times, and I think that what people believe about someone like Jesus Christ is bound to have more to do with their own social and psychological background than history. As one commentator once said, there's just enough evidence to make the belief intellectually tenable and enough also to make unbelief intellectually tenable also. It's only when Fundamentalists and Jesus Mythers lay claim to Absolute Truth based on wild assumption and unscholarly "facts" that things get distasteful with obvious agendas at play.

Eljubbo wrote:

Is always an easy, yet completely valid, answer to "why?", in this case why? or why not? write about Christ if you are a contemporary writer. It proves as little as answering "Why not?" with "Why?", however. In either case, "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

It has occured to me that to be even discussing Tacitus in this context is a bit odd, as we have even less evidence for his existence than we have for that of Jesus Christ. Nonetheless, I'll illogically press on...

I'm not aware of the existence of the original manuscript of ANY manuscript of antiquity, so for none to exist of Tacitus is no big shocker. The "New Testament" manuscripts are amongst the oldest and closest to the originals we possess. Some say that this is because the Christian church, after it was empowered by Constantine, destroyed everything else. Unlike the story of the Caliph who fired the baths of Alexandria with its library (ok, so some say it ain't true, but there's no smoke without fire :) ) , we have no evidence of this and it is the stuff of conspiracy theory rather than reliable history. An example of the lack of such secular documents is Caesar's Gallic War, which has only around 10 ancient manuscripts which confirm the original, the oldest of which was penned 900 years after the original. Did the Christians burn all of these too? Why? Maybe Caesar recorded something therein that contradicted their beliefs? :rolleyes:
Anyway, the oldest extant Tacitus manuscript is 11th century. There is much more manuscript evidence for the reliability of the gospel manuscripts than there is for Tacitus, so even if he is unreliable, they can be held reliable.

Then we’re on to the mechanics of whether this one account was penned by Tacitus’ hand. Tacitus’ unusual style and construction have been held up as one of the reasons that the account must be genuine. It would be equally valid to state that the more idiosyncratic the script, so the easier it is for a master forger (and that’s what we’d be dealing with – a graphologist of the utmost skill), to replicate and re-write.

Scholars agree that the overall content and style of the passage are typical of Tacitus. The passage is not only in context, but is the conclusion necessary to the whole discussion of the firing of Rome.

The Chronicle of Sulpicius Severus (early fifth century) attests to this passage, so that any interpolations would have to have been carried out between the 2nd and 4th centuries. The Latin scholar Norma Miller tells us that the pagan glossers of ancient manuscripts did not usually gloss in Tacitean Latin, why then should Christian glossers? Also to state unequivocally that Christians made such disparaging remarks about Christianity as appear in Annals 15.44 just for the sake of backing their case up requires an primary attitude of mistrust towards Christians per se, ergo unobjectivity.
Christian interpolators would surely "like men drowning" have been much more descriptive in their "gloss" than what we read in Annals 15.44.3. And why did the same guys, presuming they doctored Josephus, ignore Philo's works? There are many, many holes to this conspiracy theory. I have no problem with it as a theory, I respect it as theory. What is misleading is when people state such theory as if it were unequivocal fact.

Bilderberger, you write that

Tacitius mentions Christ - i.e. The Messiah - he does not mention Jesus.

therefore you must disagree with the hypothesis that this passage was interpolated? Surely the glossers would have added "Jesus" to make their case stronger? Also, there is no mention of Christ's resurrection or divinity here, which is what such glossers would have being trying to sell.

The crucifixion of Jesus would have been a non-event for the Imperial Senate. A carpenter from Galilee being executed would have been swamped under the tide of capital punishment the Roman Empire carried out all through its course. That Tacitus located this passage (supposedly sent to Rome in the Acta Pilati - Acts of Pilate), and that it had even been included in the senatorial documents of the time if anything weakens the argument.

Tacitus does not identify his source here, and many postulate that even if it the passage is authentic that he was given the data by Christians. However, there is no 'ferunt' or 'dicunt' used, which usually indicated hearsay as a source, and Tacitus relied more so on written material, which he didn't always reference.
I doubt strongly that Tacitus used a letter from Pilate for this (if it existed it hardly would have been extant at his time of writing).
He is more likely to have relied on information from the Acta Diurna and/or the Acta Senatus recording the classification of this Jewish sect as a "religio prava", which would have been done sometime prior to the official Domitian persecution. For such an official persecution as that of Domitian, a legally recorded classification detailing the religion would have been necessary. What's more likely, I think, is that Tacitus was merely relating what was common knowledge at the time of writing.

Further, Tacitus’ description of what Nero inflicted upon the Christians is by no means accepted wisdom.

What about Suetonius, who tells us that in Nero's reign "the Christians were punished, a group of persons given over to a new and harmful superstition"? Soon we'll be casting all the manuscripts of ancient antiquity into disrepute (except Philo)!

As for burning Christians not being in line with custom & practice of Roman torture, does this in itself prove indisputably that Tacitus is unreliable? Domitian enjoyed having the genitals of his victims burned, which was not in line with Roman custom of torture either. He was an innovator, as was Nero. In this case the punishment can truly be said to fit the crime, as Tacitus tells us, these were to be no ordinary run-of-the-mill executions, but "Mockery of every sort was added to their deaths".

Why did Nero pick on the Christians? Well it had to be someone. It could have easily been someone else and they would have had to wait for the next Roman emperor to take a dislike to them. Who can say why he chose them? To question his choice is hardly a basis on which to question the histrocity of Tacitus. The worship of a
crucified peasant was seen as most distasteful and was "the latest thing" in bizarre and repulsive new fads of the time.

Tertullius makes no mention of this passage in all his many treatise on Christianity / Christians, surely if this passage existed at the time he would have seized upon it “like a man drowning”.

I presume you refer to Tertullian. Why he would have needed Tacitus account of Nero's persecution "like a man drowning" I don't know. I doubt those early Christians went to the lions because of their faith in a passage in Tacitus (of which many of the illiterates would have been unaware), not to mention Tertullian, who would advise you to "Consult your sources; you will find there that Nero was the first who assailed with the sword the Christian sect" (Apol 5).

Neither Clement nor Eusebius use Tacitus, do you think Eusebious was reliable? Their non-use of Tacitus could indeed be one argument against the reliability of Tacitus referral to Christ, but accepted in the context of all the argument for the reliability of the passage, i.e., we weigh all the evidence, remembering that "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" That is to say, no ancient author or inscription reads anything like "Tacitus was an unreliable historian", or "Tacitus did not exist", or "Tacitus was interpolated by Christian types". Also, no ancient pagan authors (of whom there were many denouncing Christianity) tell us that Christians fiddled with the Annals. Their is no positive evidence to that end, only conjecture.
There's little in ancient history that is wholly reliable, especially when submitted to the painstaking 21st century "historical" criteria to which we are here submitting the existence of Jesus Christ. Eusebius non-inclusion of Tacitus is as good an argument for the non-existence of Tacitus as it for the non-existence of Jesus Christ.
Do you think Clement of Alexandria was reliable? Will you then be objective and accept his evidences also for the reliability of the "New Testament" documents? Speaking of which, I wonder as to the point of this discussion. There is plenty of evidence in the Christian writings for the existence of Christ. I'm not saying that secular sources are unreliable, just that the Christian sources are much more reliable in that there are more manuscripts and older manuscripts. The fact that they bear the descriptor "Christian" immediately puts them into the "unreliable" box for many. Unfortunately they must put the entire corpus of ancient literature in there with them, and concede that it is pointless to prove or disprove the histrocity of Christ as we have insufficient evidence for or against. Which would be a fair, admirable and honest positon, I might add.

I have yet to read this piece on new evidence about early Christianity from a fragment of Tacitus, but no doubt it will be intersting whatever its findings. I'm sure those of you with avid interest in Tacitus will enjoy it.

Yes, that "a teacher of such men as receive the truth with pleasure" bit sounds very neutral. Not.

The idea being to dump the non-neutral bits, I might add. Sorry for the lack of clarity!

Zygon, I would accept your correction of "many scholars" had I written "all scholars", or "most scholars". I simply wrote "Scholars", which could mean as little as two. However, by way of clarity, Professor Louis Feldman's round up would suggest that 4 scholars see the larger passage as completely genuine, 6 see it as mostly genuine, 20 as having some interpolations, and 9 as having several interpolations. Thirteen regard it as being totally an interpolation. If they can't agree on it given the depth of their knowledge, we hardly will either! Based on Feldman's stats I should now correct my piece to read "Most scholars do not see the piece as being entirely interpolated", i.e., most scholars (more learned than you or I) are happy that Jospehus made some mention of Christ.

I've never come across the 646 theory, but it sounds really interesting, as textual variants are something in which I have particular interest. Thanks for the ref Zygon. I'll look elsewhere than Callahan though, the proven unreliable non-scholar that he is.
His other attempt: "Bible Prophecy: Failure of Fulfillment?", has an inadequate bibliography (less than 20 sources to support his viewpoint, less than 12 on the "Christian viewpoint", none of which are cutting edge scholarly works!). His arguments against the Book of Daniel therein are cringeworthy in the extreme, having been proven tosh many years ago. Not surprsing though, given he is not an expert in this field, nor does he know a biblical language, it would seem. The one good thing is his expose and condemnation of the more crazy contemporary exegeses of Revelation. But you don't have to read him to see how crazy that can be! By the way, I recommend "Bible Prophecy: Failure of Fulfillment?" as a good education on how not to do biblical criticism, and hell, I might even get his newer text for some light entertainment!

Now, how about an at lengthy piece on the unreliability of Philo? Anyone... ??

BTW, thanks for the Doughty link! Loadsa of stuff to sate my curiousity on things ancient there! :yeay:

hospitaller said:
Zygon, I would accept your correction of "many scholars" had I written "all scholars", or "most scholars". I simply wrote "Scholars", which could mean as little as two.
How disingineous of you, H. You simply said 'scholars', and, within the context of your heavily-reference-littered post, that usage implied a far greater unanimity of opinion amongst scholars of this subject -whose works most people on the FTMB would presumably be unfamiliar with- than is actually the case.

However, by way of clarity, Professor Louis Feldman's round up would suggest that 4 scholars see the larger passage as completely genuine, 6 see it as mostly genuine, 20 as having some interpolations, and 9 as having several interpolations. Thirteen regard it as being totally an interpolation.

So, in other words, that's 10 scholars out of 52 who believe that there's no question that Flavius Josephus mentioned Christ, and 42 who have doubts to a lesser or greater -and mainly greater- extent. I can certainly see how those stats support your position, H. :)

I've never come across the 646 theory, but it sounds really interesting, as textual variants are something in which I have particular interest. Thanks for the ref Zygon. I'll look elsewhere than Callahan though, the proven unreliable non-scholar that he is. His other attempt: "Bible Prophecy: Failure of Fulfillment?", has an inadequate bibliography (less than 20 sources to support his viewpoint, less than 12 on the "Christian viewpoint", none of which are cutting edge scholarly works!)

Revealing comment about Callahan: although I haven't actually read Bible Prophecy: Failure of Fulfillment?, every review I've read of it has been by and large positive about his even-handedness, and every comment I've read on his scholarship and reliability has expressed awe at the breadth -and to a large but admittedly less unanimous degree, the depth- of his knowledge. Indeed, I find it odd that you seem to measure 'scholarship' purely and simply by the amount of research reflected in a bibliography: surely any definition of 'scholarship' needs must include some measure of the scholars understanding of the material? If the bibliography of Bible Prophecy: Failure of Fulfillment? is -in your opinion- too brief, what about the understanding he exhibits of the material?

As for 'cutting edge' works being lacking in the bibliography of Bible Prophecy: Failure of Fulfillment?: do you really mean 'cutting edge' or something else? My understanding is that the number of books on these subjects currently being published by serious, qualified, scholars is outnumbered by a factor of something like 2 to 1 (at least!) by books thrown together by Biblical Literalists with an overtly political axe to grind against so-called 'liberal' theology.

(In fact, on a -very- quick search of the web, I found only a single negative review of Bible Prophecy: Failure of Fulfillment? that echoed your reservations about the sources he used in that book, and lo! The main criticsm was the relative absence of "conservative works": "less than 20 total sources are used in support of the authors' own viewpoint, versus less than a dozen conservative works". Item: 'conservative' is universally-recognized code for 'Literalist'/'Fundamentalist'/'Creationist'. Are these 'conservative works' what you mean by 'cutting edge'? If so, excuse me while I suggest you read some material that's a little less 'conservative' and a little more 'mainstream'.) ;)

I suppose what it all boils down to is that people, even scholars, are going to come down on the side that they are psychologically and socially attuned to regardless. It's not as if any posters here (myself included) are going to revolutionarily change their belief systems as a result of what they read or post here.
Those with a Christian worldview have that worldview for more than intellectual reasons (and often for totally non-intellectual reasons, granted!), the same also goes for those who would see Christian belief as fallacious. Many would see Christian belief as false for many different reasons. I'm more interested in people's reasons for attacking Christian belief than in the content of the subsequent discussions (which are of course interesting in themselves).
Objectivity is a huge issue, and like the creationist-evolutionist discourse I think that it is very much lacking in the Christian-AntiChristian discourse. I'll put my own hand up as being a sometime offender in that regard, and often I only see this in retrospect, when reading over posts days afterwards.
Anyway, having perused the web I can see that the debate being had here has already been done and has in fact progressed to a very advanced stage on the web, (complete with rather interesting, tragic and somewhat amusing character assasinations and very interesting facts and misrepresentation of facts). Have they nothing better to do? (I know I certainly have!)
There are, it would appear two main camps, The Jesus Mythers who with (ironically) religious zeal set out at all costs to detract as much from Christianity as possible (mainly that Jesus didn't exist), and the Christian Apologists, who go to the most extraordinary lengths to refute these claims. I hand you over to them now, for your edification and entertainment (whatever your beliefs!):

Christianity is false

Oh no it isn't!

Enjoy :D

Hospitaller,

I have rarely seen somone so immersed in the debate retain such an objective idea of forum in which it takes place.

As I once read, "Winning an argument on the Internet is like winning a medal in the Special Olympics". Nuff said.

LD

hospitaller said:
There are, it would appear two main camps, The Jesus Mythers who with (ironically) religious zeal set out at all costs to detract as much from Christianity as possible (mainly that Jesus didn't exist)...
Perhaps someone could explain that to me? Seriously: I simply do not get the connection between 'expressing doubts about the historical reality of Jesus' and 'detracting from Xtianity'.

If the message -the 'Truth'- of the NT is valid with an historical Jesus, surely it will still be a valid 'Truth' even if Jesus himself was a myth. So why do some Xtians have such a hard time getting their heads round that idea?

:confused:

Well I think you've hit the nail bang on the head there Zygon. Perhaps they got lost among the minutae of the discussion, but my Joseph Campbell related comments have been saying that all along!

I think that Christians who have a hard time getting their heads around this idea haven't progressed far along The Way, or else have a very 20th century, concrete, one true church idea of religion in general and would have equally made very "good" Muslims or Atheists depending on psycho-social and other circumstances.

Not many Christians (with the exception of people like Josh McDowell, who apparently came to be one whilst writing a "Christ-Myth" book) arrived at their beliefs based on the historical minutae surrounding Christ. Arrival at such belief is more mystical and experiential than raw fact can express, or mere words can relate.

Speaking of mere words, "myth" is one which is laden with diverse meanings. I agree that nothing is detracted from the belief of Christians through the idea of a mythical Jesus as in Campbell's "mythical" as being the "truth behind the facts". In fact I think that without this mythical Jesus, the historical Jesus risks becoming a dead letter and the plaything of whatever method of textual criticism or historical interpretation holds sway at that time.
The "Christ-Mythers" and Fundamentalist KJV-only types alike have devalued myth, using it as a weapon against each other in a no-win (as lorddrakul amusingly points out!) battle that is more about mutual intolerance (grounded in deep-seated psychological motivations that I would LOVE to gauge) than about history, belief or religion.

As C.S. Lewis once wrote, Christ is the Corn King...

All very interesting - I've just read a fairly Cheesy book which nevertheless threw up an interesting question (it was Peter van Greenaways' Judas!). If a document (such as a proposed testament of judas iscariot denying the divinity of Jesus) turned up in the public realm and could be verified by scholars as coming from the right period, would this actually shake the Vatican down to the ground?

Probably not, as the church could just say that Judas was not only a backstabber, he was a liar too. Is there any piece of 'evidence' that would ultimately 'proove' or disprove the divine nature of Jesus, or would blind faith prevail under any circumstance?

As in the thread about James' Ossary in the news section, I wonder whether it really matters any more whether or not he was a rebel leader or a messiah, it's what people do now with the message passed down that counts (a good message on the whole I believe, btw)

"it's what people do now with the message passed down that counts"

Well that's exactly what religion (as distinct from belief) is, isn't it? Different people from different cultures react differently to certain beliefs - I think there's not so much as many religions as there are cultures, but as many religions as their are people! I don't think that any two humans (even the strictest Southern Baptists, most orthodox Sunnis or most devout Atheists) share the exact same beliefs.

Is there any piece of 'evidence' that would ultimately 'proove' or disprove the divine nature of Jesus, or would blind faith prevail under any circumstance?

Hmmmm. What kind of evidence (from the 21st century ontological stance) would prove or disprove a person's divinity? Come to think of it, what kind of "evidence" would prove or disprove the existence of divinity itself in the first instance? Trying to prove or disprove individual divinity is a bit of a waste of time unless one can prove the existence of divinity itself. And that's a bit like trying to measure the sky! Personally I think it's all pretty subjective, the theist trying to prove to the atheist that divinity exists is wasting their time as much as is the atheist trying to prove to the theist that divinity is not real. And even that waste of energy lies on the more complex issue of individuals having completely different concepts of what "real" actually is! I think such people are discussing concepts embedded in paradigms when it's the paradigms and ontologies they should be comparing. I say comparing as in comparing notes out of interest and not in order to attempt to imperialistically assert one's ontology on someone else. So next time the Mormons come round, don't get apoplectic over texts, angry about angels or hung up on the star Kolob - just tell them you don't share their worldview and they're welcome to it!

As a result of 19th century positivist-empircism we think everything which is real must be measurable and tangible to OUR senses or instruments of our making. Thus we get threads like "Science proves ghosts do not exist" and concepts like "blind faith" (which is akin to"wet liquid", "a visible scene" or "hot heat"). To lean too heavily on such a view of the universe(s) is to make the mistake of Aquinas and after him, the Council of Trent.

Point taken, and as a ex-reader of Popper and Kuhn one could easily take the same view of physics and psychology! However, isn't there a significant difference between proving the existence of 'God' and the divine nature of Christ? I suppose it has an equivalence between 'proving' that the destruction of Jericho was a natural occurence or divinely inspired, but one can at least gather facts of some sort regarding the existence of Jesus, and then try to corroborate textual evidence of miracles etc. This at least would give a 'scientific basis' for believing in the divine nature of Christ (a tautology, I know :))

So if one could show that the gospels were faked and other texts revealed a more mundane Jesus figure, wouldn't this go some way towards disproving the New Testament?

People will believe what they want to believe, but I find it strange that belief in 'God on Earth' is so widespread - especially when one considers how ungodlike most people actually are.

This at least would give a 'scientific basis' for believing in the divine nature of Christ

That's exactly what Aquinas tried with the accidents and substance of the eucharist. Unfortunately his idea was built on the science of the day and now we have the Roman Catholic doctrines of the mass and the subsequent Reformation as huge religio-historical monuments to the disaster of trying to define the mystical in scientific terms!
Even if our current science yielded a basis for believing (or nto believing) in the divine nature of Christ, it would become as redundant as Aquinas' ideas on the eucharist in a few hundred years and people would carp on about how "unscientific and outdated" an idea it is!
Even if science can help us better understand the mythic theme of Incarnation which pervades many more religions than those of Christianity, what's the point in tying an idea of all ages to our here-and-now transient method of investigating the world? Like Aquinas and the RC eucharist, the subsequent doctrine would remain in stasis long after our understanding of the world had moved on.

So if one could show that the gospels were faked and other texts revealed a more mundane Jesus figure, wouldn't this go some way towards disproving the New Testament?

Here one would have a scientific hypothesis: the gospels are fake, and then would have to set out to prove it. Leaving aside the motivation behind such a gargantuan task (a very interesting topic in itself), and focusing on its execution - it has been done. Baur and other higher critics of the 19th century engaged in precisely this exercise and the great mass of 20th and 21st century pulp/popular religion Jesus Myth books which are written as if they are telling you something new and astounding, are really regurgitating the work of Baur and the higher criticists. Baur's work was in turn itself the subject of higher criticism by Lightfoot initially and many others since, with the effect that New Testament studies have pretty much moved on from higher criticism. Guys like Doughty and Price still cling to the old ideas, but like Aquinas, again we see how scientific analysis and it's results in these cases will not yield once-for-all absolute truths but nothing "more than the proper thing to wear, for a while" - and if that's what you're looking for, fine. We all have our own tastes in apparel!

certainly psychology, anthropology and religious studies have given us an insight into why we 'need' a Jesus figure in society (just as the egyptian's 'needed' an explaination of the life cycle of the nile - Osiris ;) ). And the search for a Messiah predates Jesus by 1000s of years - Zoroaster spoke of the coming of the Soyashant to presage the third age of the cosmos, so the concept of a saviour is not new to Judaism.

I too am uninterested in unbacked conjecture (although it can make for a good natter in a pub), I am interested in the 'truth' of the new testament, and this can partly be divined (ahem) through scientific methodology. An examination of documents such as the Q gospel, other Qumran texts and apocrypha reveal a significantly different story from the one told in sunday schools. The 'real' Jesus is far more interesting than the anti-bogeyman used to drum subservience into ignorant peoples minds. As I generally prefer 'rational' explanations for events to miraculous ones, I want to know why people followed Jesus example in the first place - perhaps to explain why I tend to take the secular advice of Jesus seriously. I don't preclude the possibility Jesus may have been truly divine, but I find it highly unlikely.

A long time since I read the Bible, but my feeling was always that there were layers of symbolism and depths of teaching that were shrouded by simplistic parables.
Of course NOW I realise that that was the intention and there are inner teachings and mysteries on different levels.
I've been admonished for not revealing sources on another board so I'd like to say here that 'The Jesus Mysteries' http://www.cnn.com/2000/books/news/09/21/jesus.mysteries/index.html
is a fantastic read on the subject of why literalist Christians had to create a geography and a history for a man who the gnostics knew as a metaphor for personal spiritual advancement.

Just about every culture had a myth of a dying and resurrecting Godman which seems to have started out in Asia Minor.

Quote: Q: Where did the dying-reborn God myth start?
A: Asia minor. The ancient Greeks and Romans inherited and adapted Gods from ancient Asia Minor (Assyria, Babylon, Phrygia, Persia, Mesopotamia, Egypt, places like that). These old-ancient religions were pretty basic Mother Earth, cycle-of-nature affairs. You probably won't be surprised to hear Mother Earth religions had Gods who personified the cycle-of-nature by dying in the autumn and being reborn in the spring. We don't know exactly when these dying-reborn Gods began -- they date back thousands of years, basically fading into prehistory.

and...By the time of Jesus of Nazareth, as for centuries before, the Mediterranean world roiled with a happy diversity of creeds and rituals. Details varied according to location and culture, but the general outlines of these faiths were astonishingly similar. Roughly speaking the ancients' gods:

Were born on or very near our Christmas Day
Were born of a Virgin-Mother
Were born in a Cave or Underground Chamber.
Led a life of toil for Mankind.
Were called by the names of Light-bringer, Healer, Mediator, Savior, Deliverer.
Were however vanquished by the Powers of Darkness.
And descended into Hell or the Underworld.
Rose again from the dead, and became the pioneers of mankind to the Heavenly world.
Founded Communions of Saints, and Churches into which disciples were received by Baptism.
Were commemorated by Eucharistic meals.

I believe that there is a similarity in the words for 'cave' and 'stable'.
If you want to find more 'coincidences' try looking at the links between Mithras, Attis and this guy...

Born of a Virgin on December 25th, placed in a manger.
He was a traveling teacher who performed many miracles.

Rode in a triumphal procession on an ass.
Turned water into wine.

Followers ate sacred meal that became the body of the God.

Rose from the dead March 25th.

Identified with the ram and lamb's

Called "King of Kings," "Only Begotten Son," "Savior," "Redeemer," "Sin bearer," "Anointed One," the "Alpha and Omega."

Not Jesus - Dionysius!

Jimv said:
Born of a Virgin on December 25th, placed in a manger.
He was a traveling teacher who performed many miracles.

Rode in a triumphal procession on an ass.
Turned water into wine.

Followers ate sacred meal that became the body of the God.

Rose from the dead March 25th.

Identified with the ram and lamb's

Called "King of Kings," "Only Begotten Son," "Savior," "Redeemer," "Sin bearer," "Anointed One," the "Alpha and Omega."

Not Jesus - Dionysius!
Ah, but oddly enough Antiochus Epiphanes identified Jesus' dad (Yahweh) with Dionysus (ie, regarded them as different interpretations of the same deity).

a radical new look at Christian origins that suggests that Jesus the man did not exist at all.

Nothing new in that theory! Bauer came up with this idea in the 19th century (not to be confused with the Baur mentioned above). This can be seen by the number of dated references in the book.
Our knowledge of Mithraism, for example, has developed much since Cumont's 1903, "Mysteries of Mithra", referred to for example. (In this text, interestingly, Cumont testifies that Jesus was a real person...)
They also allude to Justin Martyr, although not to give us his account of how the crucifixion of a god is unknown amongst the pagans. This 2nd century account predates the earliest (3rd century - others date several hundred years after Christ) source used (for which the citation given is "an old academic book" - how scholarly!) to give the idea that Christians copied the crucifixion motif from Bacchus (Dionysius). Also, there's the 1st century anti-Christian
Alaxamenos graffito
They falsely and misleadingly state that there are no Christian pictorial crucifixion depictions prior to the fifth century, where there are actually about half-a-dozen - not that the literary depictions don;t count as well!
For Dionysius they refer to Harrison (at least a century out of date, whilst ignoring the later Burkert and Jeanmarie). Furthermore, they cite Dionysius riding to "his passion" on a mule, citing Harrison - whose actual account is of a crowd surrounding a donkey, one yanking its tail - but no Dionysius and no passion!
The denial in the book that no serious scholar attributes any of the Testamonium to Josephus displays an ignorance of the work of Crossan, France, Brown, Meier, Grant, and Fox.
Contrary to their picture of a wholesale destruction of ancient texts by the Church (thankfully untrue, otherwise I wouldn;t possess my treasured "Apocryphal New Testament"!), such texts were on the whole preserved. The cited "Enemies of the Roman Order" (McMullan) actually details how Christian policy with regard to "subversive literature" was identical to that of pagan religions.
On the one hand the authors say that Acts is fiction and several of Paul's letters spurious, whilst on the other hand they then cite these very sources to "prove" that Paul was a Gnostic!
The authors' referral to the "Roman Catholic Church" is anachronistic in places, in that that entity did not exist as such in the period being written about.

I think, however, that the biggest literary crime of such authors is one they share with Western Protestant biblical exegetes of the 19th century onwards - they apply Western "scientific" methods of exegesis to documents whose original meanings can most clearly be gleaned from Jewish midrahsic exegesis, which was the contemporary method of exegesis.
Unlike the Protestant exegetes, however, their knowledge of koine Greek is wanting - they translate the word "katalemna" as "temporary shelter or cave" instead of an "inn", which is what the word actually means!
Worse, the book tells us that Dionysius was titled "Lord God of God born" and reference this to p444 of Harrison's work - check it out yourself, it is not there.

As for Jesus as myth, a purely historical Jesus is meaningless without a mythical Jesus. The problem is that we 21st century Westerners are wont to think myth=fiction, whereas Joseph Campbell rightly points out, "Myth is the truth behind the facts". It was this mythical Jesus, replete with universal mythic themes, which far from discrediting Christianity lead, such learned literates as C.S. Lewis (via Tolkien) to Christianity.
I think that Zygon's story of Antiochenes Epiphanes mirrors what Campbell called the "Masks of God", and is close to the truth ("my truth or yours!?!" asks the postmodernist, "why THE truth answers the positivist-empiricist" :D ) whatever that is!

As for the Dionysius-Jesus link, Tatius account of the (otherwise unkown) Dionysius miracle of water into wine post-dates Christ by at least a century (according to the non-Christian historian Bowersock), so if there is any influence its vice-versa.
Euripides' "The Bacchae", did influence the Christian play "Christus Patiens".
We all know that Christ wasn't really born on 25th December, and that this date was chosen by the established church to usurp an existing pagan festival. At any rate, I'm not sure that December 25th has been established as a birhtdate for Dionysius either?
The most popular story of Dionysuis' birth has his mother Semele impregnated by Zeus. The jealous Hera tricks Semele into getting Zeus to reveal his glory, and hey presto! he obliges, incinerating Semele, leaving Dionysius motherless. Zeus then takes him and attaches him to his thigh until he is ready to be his own. Quite different from Luke's Nativity (which has no reference, nor does any "New Testament document" of Jesus being born in a "cave").
Another account has Dionysius as the progeny of Zeus and Persephone, whereas yet another has him self-generating.
So there's no virgin birth for Dionysius, just the usual Zeus lashing it into female divinities as he was wont to do on a regular basis along with other Greek gods.
There's no record either, that I'm aware of, of Dionysius being placed in a manger. The aforementioned "Jesus Mysteries" does tell us of a marriage at a manger, but not a birth.
A travelling teacher doing miracles is something that Jesus shares with Dionysius... and just about every other divine religious leader! One hardly spreads one's message by sitting at home!
Dionysius travels, however, are not limited to a realistic geographical area, but cover Greece, Persia, Arabia and in some versions India and other parts of the world where he establishes civilisation. Jesus was not a missionary in this wider sense, sticking primarily to Jewish territory, and later sending disciples to the wider world (to which Dionysius instead goes himself).
Ancient images of Dionysius show him in the type of triumphal procession one would expect of a kingly figure in myth - riding on a mule, having ivy waved at him and flanked by satyrs. The ivy here is a Greek cultic symbol, quite different from the Jewish ethnic symbolism of the palm. The ass, meanwhile, is one of Dionysius totem animals, whereas for Jesus, well it beats walking when mobbed by a crowd. Dionysius rides this ass on other occassions which are not paralleled with Jesus, e.g., one where the ass becomes a constellation of stars. Jesus procession on the mule has much more to do with the writings of the prophet Zechariah and the triumphal entry into Jerusalem of Simon the Maccabean (c.140 BCE) than it does with Dionysius!
The only instance I'm aware of of Dionysius being eaten is when the Titans tore him to pieces (when he was an infant) and cooked and ate every bit of him except his heart. A bit removed from Jewish passover leaven being passed to those present with the words "Take, eat, this is my body"! There is no eating of the body of Dionysius in order to attain divine power, no sacramentalism in the official cult of Dionysius, and even his sacrificial animals weren't equated with him.
I'm not aware of any source which has Dionysius rising from the dead on March 25th. A cultic "grave" of Dionysius found at Delphi dates his rebirth to November 8th, and another on a Greek island to January. Even the idea of him rising from the dead is varied and somewhat obscure - we have him "rejuvenating" annually, rescuing his mother from Hades, fleeing persecution by Lycurgus into the sea and the world of the dead, and the placing of the heart the Titan's didn't eat into a body made of gypsum, or where Demeter is his mother, she reassembles him, or that Zeus revived the dying Dionysius, or that Zeus ate the left over heart and re-conceived him with Semele. A lot too choose from, but they don't really match the Jewish concept of resurrection put forward by the gospel writers. Also, the followers of Dionysius don't share in his rejuvenation/rebirth.
Dionysius as "king of kings" - was that not Zeus, who was "god of gods"? "King of kings" is a semitic idiom in any case.
Dionysius is "redeemer" and "saviour" in that he saves his followers from the wrath of Pentheus, not from sin and the grave, as with Jesus.
As for Dionysius being identified with a lamb or ram, one story has him born with ram's horns, but he was mianly identified with the figure of a bull (see "The Bacchae"), and sometimes a goat, and less often other animals. Never with a lamb though.
The other titles listed "Alpha and Omega" etc., I've never seen as identified with Dionysius - who incidentally had a plethora of titles.

It's Friday, I'm still in work, time to go!!!
:hello:

hospitaller said:
I think that Zygon's story of Antiochenes Epiphanes mirrors what Campbell called the "Masks of God", and is close to the truth whatever that is!
No need to invoke Campbell -it was a fairly standard thing in the ancient world, SFAIK: the accounts of the Roman campaigns in Europe, for example, are filled with attempts to identify the gods of Europe with the gods of Rome.

My fave. has to be the Norse myths though: not content with the Baldur death and rebirth myths that pre-date the arrival of Xtianity in Europe, they came up with a ressurrection-myth for Odin in the period when Xtian missionaries were at work among them. (Odin hung by his enemies on the World-Tree, dies, then goes looking for certain parties and then rises from the grave bearing 18 wisdoms.The Norse Myths: Gods of the Vikings by Kevin Crossley-Holland p. 15 - 17 "Lord of the Gallows". ISBN 0 14 00.6056 1 Possibly influenced by the crucifixion/harrowing of Hell story, but apparently it isn't certainly the case: it seems someone called E.O.G. Turville-Petre has determined entirely pagan Nordic antecedents for every part of the story. Myth and Religion of the North, 1964.)

Of Recent Books

The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown is certainly the most enjoyable reading, it being a thriller based on research into the myth of Jesus and so on.

And let's not forget a particularly telling quotation: "This myth of Jesus has served us well." -- Pope Leo X.

There was not only a historical Jesus, but two. At the Council of Nicea, 325 C.E.., Emperor Constantine I conflated the two, then deified his new creation and proceeded to exclude no fewer than 53 gospels in order to support his new formulation of religion as patriarchal and the Roman Catholic Church as the only conduit to divinity or heaven or spirituality of any sort. It was, in short, a calculated move to expunge the Goddess religion of the pagans. This is why sex and women have been so demonized. It's why priests are men to this day, etc.

It has worked all too well except, of course, for those who do like Mark Twain, who said, "I was a fairly fervent Christian until I reached the age of reason."

It was also a political move, as Jesus was of the royal bloodline of David, and Mary Magdelene, his wife, was of the royal bloodline of Solomon, and so their union created a powerful political force to be reckoned with and, later, expunged if possible. (Crusades, Merovingians, and all that.)

St. Clair knows, don't you, lad?

ive red a couple of books on this and ive come to a bit of a loose end. On the one hand the bloodline theory, tempalrs, masons, priory of sion ect is convincing and in terms of the possiblity of a historical jesus ring reasonably true. However have just read 'THE JESUS MYSTERIES' which i think have already been mentioned on this thread. wow. theyr argue no hisorical proof of jesus (th whole wanted poster for jesus mentioned a few replies ago sounds a bit fishy to me but then i havent read the book so.......) but the nuber of simialrities bewteen the jesus myth and earlier pagan god men and othet issues described in the book are too many to be ignored.

so either he did exist as a political figure who was 'messiaed' and created an important bloodline (holy blood holy grail, laurence gardiners books etc)

was the true son of god (the new testament)

was a reinvention of erlier pagan myths (the jesus mysteries)

was a political figure who was used symbolically as a pagan god man (see above)

didnt exist at all in any sense ever amen

was a leader/ imporatant figure of the essenes (jesus the man)

was an incarnation of higher spiritual forces sent to raise the conciouness level of the planet (new age, only planet of choice etc)

was influenced by budda, travels to india, travels to glastonbury (various)

the list goes on ................................

i honestly dont think we'll ever know......but lts face it ignoring the whole christian thang.....the basic idea of the teaching of jesus in the gospels tht maybe the world would be a better place f we were a bit nicer to each other........hey it might really work.....

Layers

Way I understand it, there were two historical Jesus figures. One was a rabbi and rabble rouser, the other a visionary desert loon. One had royal blood from the house of David, and probably mingled it with the line of Soloon via Mary Magdelene, herself not a whore but a rich woman of royal descent.

In C.E. 325, when Emperor Constantine convened the Council of Nicea to cobble up the Holy Roman Church, as a means of ensuring the Roman Empire would continue, he ruthlessly mixed these two men together, tossed out over 54 gospels from those who knew the religious Jesus, and essentially granted Jesus a divinity he had never had up to that point in history.

In other words, prior to the Council of Nicea, Jesus was just a man, an enllightened man but mortal. The son of god nonsense and all the magical powers came in under Constantine's supervision, in order to usurp and conflate the layered pagan beliefs at that time and slip them under control of the priests.

In doing this they also expunged the Goddess and began their horrific, systematic suppression of the divine feminine.

So you're quite right to say that the Jesus we're taught about these days is a hodge-podge of many different pagan gods and deities. It was a control mechanism, and the sexism is to remove the Goddess, even though in many places Sophia remains as Mary worship, etc.

Re: Layers

In doing this they also expunged the Goddess and began their horrific, systematic suppression of the divine feminine.

I take it you're referring to the roman church (both East and West) here, rather than Constantine?

Constantine, always a divine pragmatist, maintained a policy of almost total religious freedom. After all, why would he alienate 95% + of his populace by forcing them to convert to some religion that they considered obscure, conflictory and foreign?

You are correct about him blurring the lines between Mithras, Christ, Sol Invictus, Apollo etc though. He did what seems totally logical: giving these different deities interchangeable attributes that would blur the distinction between them over time. I'm not talking about one generation, or even two, but the Byzantine empire lasted just under 1000 years. By the time the marauding moors sacked the city, Christianity was the de facto religion in Constantinople, with his birthday being on 25th December (most important feast day of Sol Invictus cult) and all that other good stuff.

While i'm on the topic of Constantine's religion, i understand that there is good evidence he was initiated into the mysteries of the Sol Invictus cult - his coins were minted with the phrase "Soli Invicto Comiti" (Committed to the unconquered Sun). His death bed baptism into the Christian faith can from this viewpoint can be seen as another pragmatic action; ensuring that in the event of his death he would be able to access the Christian "Kingdon of Heaven", should such a place happen to exist.

Eusebius' writings of his battle with Maxentius (Chi Rho painted onto shields etc), is widely considered to be, how can i put this tactfully?: Total BS.

The only moment of spiritual revelation that was ever written about him from contemporary sources, was about the same time as is mentioned by Eusebius, only they got the venue wrong, it was a temple to Apollo somewhere in Italy (have details at home if pushed).

Continued Pragmatism

It seems the Vatican has continued Constantine's pragmatic approach beyond the point of usefulness, given the 40 year old document CBS news has uncovered. From a Cardinal at the Vatican, the document sets a policy of suppression and secrecy regarding any sexual misconduct of priests, under threat of excommunication. This is extended in the document even to the victims.

This establishes that there was indeed an explicit policy of cover-up and denial, of hiding the crimes of these predators, officially sanctioned from the highest levels of the Church.

Combine this with the recent edicts against homosexuality and so on and one sees that a stubborn, out-dated theocracy unable to adapt is threatening the very survival of the Church itself as they let it become increasingly irrelevant. A bit more pragmatic inclusion would seem to be in order if Constantine's empire is to survive much longer.

One is forced to wonder if Opus Dei and other fundamentalist, reactionary groups are perhaps behind some of the recent harshness. Anyone heard anything?

Constantine underwent three major conversions (to Apollo, Heracles, and Christ), each of which occurred under remarkably similar circumstances, were politically advantageous, and involved membership (and subsequent championing) of the relevant cults.
The religious egalitarianism he set in place only lasted a couple of reigns after his death, perhaps a matter of less than a decade.

Constantine's Inconstance

He gave more than lip service to the term lip service, that's for sure, with all his expedient surface conversions. It is generally believed he maintained a core adherence in private to the Sol cult throughout the outward changes of clothes.

Re: Continued Pragmatism

One is forced to wonder if Opus Dei and other fundamentalist, reactionary groups are perhaps behind some of the recent harshness. Anyone heard anything?

One really is...

The thing that irks me is the notion that people in antiquity were unintelligent. Fundies cite the good book as historical fact, incontravertible and 100% accurate. The feeding of the 5000 is a good example. Modern Christians see a miracle, but there is compelling reasons to why people 1700+ years ago may have realised this story is an allegory, concerning the positions of Virgo and Aquarius in the firmament, and their relation to the seasons etc.

The bible has achieved its authority purely through entropic means. The older it gets, the thicker the sheen of veracity it has.

It's like saying that everything my grandad told me about his boyhood and wartime experiences were totally true - just because he's old.
The fact that he was an inveterate liar, who embellished shopping trips to Tesco Metro for his own pleasure, is beside the point...

If anything, we as a race are getting thicker. I blame television - our eyes aren't meant to go that fast:)

Back