• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Jimmy Savile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many professional women keep their maiden names.

Usally they's be "Ms" though, not "Miss"? (Although the last time I mentioned "Ms" on this board I had some rather strange reactions).

Probably no more than crap subbing at the Fail, tbh.

escargot1 said:

Of course. But Miss? She's not a school mistress, is she?
That said, it still sounds better than "Muhz."

theyithian said:
escargot1 said:

Of course. But Miss? She's not a school mistress, is she?
That said, it still sounds better than "Muhz."
Apparently, Mail Journalists think so, too.

Anyone know anything about the rumour going round now that Savile had a double, sort of an "evil twin" if you like? Or don't like.

Some of the more bonkers sites i've seen have a ring involving Jimmy Saville, Cliff Richard & the Krays! Have you really read the lyrics to Livin' Doll? :D

There's no dignified way to prounounce 'Ms'! It always sounds contrived. :lol:

Yup, 'Miss' is often used for a professional woman, whether or not she is single and regardless of her husband's name. Who doesn't know that?

gncxx said:
Anyone know anything about the rumour going round now that Savile had a double, sort of an "evil twin" if you like? Or don't like.

Back in the late 70s, my school had a bad-tempered caretaker who was the dead spit of Jimmy Savile. One of the lads regularly shouted 'Jim!' at him, and he really didn't like it.

gncxx said:

Not a twin, exactly, but there is a link on the Savile Paedo-Conspiracy thread to the Digital Spy Forums, where some "related" matters are discussed. :?

OT for a minute..
Quake42 said:

Usally they's be "Ms" though, not "Miss"?
Depends - a friend of ours is a surgeon, married twenty years and two kids, but she kept her maiden name and still refers to herself as "Miss" (apparently that's de rigeur in medical circles - although many female surgeons do take on their husband's name and become Mrs-, an equal number keep both maiden name and Miss, as often they've built a professional reputation under that name. Ms is rarely used, though.)

Back OT - careful with the Cliff stuff. Though I'm sure various gutter-press types have been gagging for years to get something juicy on St Clifford, I don't think he really strikes most people as creepy. Possibly good with colours, maybe enjoys holidaying in Brighton, but let's leave it at that, eh?

Depends - a friend of ours is a surgeon, married twenty years and two kids, but she kept her maiden name and still refers to herself as "Miss" (apparently that's de rigeur in medical circles - although many female surgeons do take on their husband's name and become Mrs-, an equal number keep both maiden name and Miss, as often they've built a professional reputation under that name. Ms is rarely used, though.)

Yeah, it's a surgeons' thing - in the same way as male surgeons are "Mr" not "Dr".

Yup, 'Miss' is often used for a professional woman, whether or not she is single and regardless of her husband's name. Who doesn't know that?

Well, other than in the surgical world, I certainly haven't come across a married professional woman calling herself "Miss" for about 20 years. Maybe it's a London thing, but professional women in the capital are usually "Ms". You occasionally come across a "Mrs" but the only "Misses" are the very young and the very old.

Though I'm sure various gutter-press types have been gagging for years to get something juicy on St Clifford, I don't think he really strikes most people as creepy. Possibly good with colours, maybe enjoys holidaying in Brighton, but let's leave it at that, eh?

Yep. I stand to be corrected, but I'm disliking this "guilt by lifestyle" development that we're seeing. Just because someone is single and has no apparent recent sexual relationships doesn't make them a pervert or a paedo, and it's pretty disgusting to suggest that it does.

The latest person to accuse Savile is a former Cub Scout who appeared on Jim'll Fix It. He claims that Savile told him 'Nobody'll believe you, I'm King Jim!'

While I don't doubt this man's story for a minute, how incredible is it that Savile could get away with abusing little boys?

Teenage girls are one thing - as we've seen, a lot of people who should have known better excused his behaviour around young girls as 'just Jim' - but boys? Just the merest whiff of that would have destroyed him.

I think this shows just how tough Savile's protective mechanisms, whatever they were, must have been.

In his most recent interview Cliff Richard confirmed he'd been `sharing` his life for the last 15 years with his business manager and companion, an ex policeman. He specifically said he didn't care whether people thought he was gay or not.

I really hope not every entertainer from these dark days turns out to be like JS, JK and PG. Many years ago I read `Hollywood Babylon` and then later James Elroy`s faction novels about the same period. It meant I can never just enjoy those movies without thinking `but she/he was....` The more `taste & decency` times we live in will probably excise the whole decade like a Stalinist airbrush.

Aren't we all getting rather hung up on what was most likely a typo of a woman being a Miss rather than Ms or Mrs?

balding13 said:
In his most recent interview Cliff Richard confirmed he'd been `sharing` his life for the last 15 years with his business manager and companion, an ex policeman. He specifically said he didn't care whether people thought he was gay or not.
I did not want to know that!

rynner2 said:
balding13 said:
Like it matters. :lol:

rynner2 said:
balding13 said:

Congratulations! Bearing in mind the horror we are going are going to be informed of I`m pleased by sweetly innocent `secrets`, even of the Troy Mclure type. No seafood was harmed!

Matt Cartoon;

With a caption "Celebrity falls further than any other before",
the picture shows a man in a spacesuit plunging to Earth, while brandishing a large cigar, and saying "Now then, now then".

:shock:

liveinabin1 said:
Aren't we all getting rather hung up on what was most likely a typo of a woman being a Miss rather than Ms or Mrs?

Seem to be! My wife was a senior computer personage - always called herself Miss and used her maiden name in professional circles, entirely for continuity reasons. Used her married name the rest off the time. It does cause problems with things like credit checks and booking into hotels though. And obviously causes some minds to boggle...

Really funny cartoon - if we don't retain a sense of humour we might as well all shoot ourselves now.

maybe it's different ooop north, but a lot of people don;t seem to get Ms here, or look at you funny if you say it.

also one seems to get called Mrs most of the time if you're over a certain age, seemed to start happening around the time I got to about 30, even appears as my title when I go to the doctors, and i;ve never been married.

that said, was talking to a female friend a few months ago who was describing working as a labourer in Halifex in fairly recent history... she said the guys would drop their pants on her on a regular basis. :(

escargot1 said:
The latest person to accuse Savile is a former Cub Scout who appeared on Jim'll Fix It. He claims that Savile told him 'Nobody'll believe you, I'm King Jim!'

While I don't doubt this man's story for a minute, how incredible is it that Savile could get away with abusing little boys?

Teenage girls are one thing - as we've seen, a lot of people who should have known better excused his behaviour around young girls as 'just Jim' - but boys? Just the merest whiff of that would have destroyed him.

I think this shows just how tough Savile's protective mechanisms, whatever they were, must have been.

The way this story has been developing, I'm half-expecting a 'Jimmy Fiddled With My Pet Goldfish' tabloid exposé...

WhistlingJack said:

The way this story has been developing, I'm half-expecting a 'Jimmy Fiddled With My Pet Goldfish' tabloid exposé...
I've been wondering whether there'll come a point where they start breaking out the ground penetrating radar. :(

Pietro_Mercurios said:
los_grandes_lutz said:
Simon said:
Hi l_g_l, could you download a link from youtube. I've never heard of the statues in question, so it'll be good to see the clip so I can try and work it out where abouts it is. There's quite a lot of private houses/gardens in the north of the island and are probably walled-off, but I'll try and hazard a guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq6lJsBz9UY

Or search Youtube for Sun Sea & Satan

If you skip forward around 12 and a half minutes into the video you'll see the statues for the first time. The second statue is turned around later and is then shown from the front further on in the video.
Having watched the bit in question,I have to say, from what I could see on YouTube, Bill Maloney, the documentary maker's interpretation of some rather kitsch garden statuary was open to interpretation. The little boy statue was blowing something, no idea what, though. A ram's horn, bubbles? It all looked like rather bad taste, bog standard, garden ornaments, artlessly arranged. Maloney saw signs of Satanic rituals and symbolism.

This documentary goes deep into Icke territory with theories that Jersey's Institutions were a source of ritual human sacrifices, to supply the needs of the British Establishment and Royal Family. Nonetheless, the archive footage of the Haut de la Garenne inquiry, remains contradictory and disturbing.

I agree with PM in that the statues were more of a piss-take than anything else. When Bill Maloney drives from the house to HdlG later on, he passes Ransoms Garden Centre (owned by the family of an old school friend) , where these could have been bought.
I've never heard of Bill Maloney before, but he seemed quite paranoid in some of the scenes. I can't imagine him being followed. A work colleague also watched this, a lad whose quite street-smart, and was also surprised by this.
One thing I found very bizarre was when he BM showed the newspaper dated on Saturday, and the text also came up as Saturday. The States building is closed this day, so I was surprised when he said a security guard came out, and also the lads he interviewed on the bench were dressed in office attire, and you never see anyone dressed like that on a Saturday in town. I could be mistaken, but it just seemed out of sorts for a Saturday.
I also recognise a couple of the people interviewed in the street at the start (although I don't know them). The impression I got was that they were more conscience of being filmed than airing their views. The pensioners on audio were, for me, typical of Jersey residents. The stories they quoted have been going around for years, and there's a lot of people that know them. Incidentially, regarding the local news reporter and the bottle story, I used to work with a lad whose mum used to book accommodation for student nurses, and when he told his mum this story, his mum went crazy and said that if the leak of sensitive medical details was found, it would lead in an instant dismissal.
I also used to live in the tower blocks shown at the end, and no kids ever played in that playground, so no conspiracy there!

balding13 said:

I also heard he was an ex-Catholic priest. Tbh, I don't there is anything going on there, which is a shame, as I think everyone deserves a happy love-life.

I've never heard anything dodgy about His Cliffness. Well, apart from rumours that he was gay, which is nothing to be ashamed of, or isn't these days, anyway. He used to get very angry when he was asked about his sexuality. Quite comical to see! :lol:

My late former mother in law had weird gaydar: when she fancied an actor or singer he always turned out to be gay. Richard Chamberlain, Rock Hudson, Freddie Mercury, Cliff, you name him, she liked him and he was batting for t'other side. Totally reliable - you could tell who'd come out next (when that was a big thing!) by who she'd taken to recently.
:D

escargot1 said:
I've never heard anything dodgy about His Cliffness. Well, apart from rumours that he was gay, which is nothing to be ashamed of, or isn't these days, anyway.
All the double-decker buses around here are carrying Stonewall adverts:

"Some people are gay. Get over it!"

(Which I suspect might be counter-productive in the quarters they hope to reach... "Who are you, telling me to 'get over it'?!" :evil: )

But this is going seriously off-thread - sorry!

Like the Cliff-Stonewall lexi-link though!

But yes, this is way off topic. Back to Savile now, please.

rynner2 said:
escargot1 said:
I've never heard anything dodgy about His Cliffness. Well, apart from rumours that he was gay, which is nothing to be ashamed of, or isn't these days, anyway.
All the double-decker buses around here are carrying Stonewall adverts:

"Some people are gay. Get over it!"

(Which I suspect might be counter-productive in the quarters they hope to reach... "Who are you, telling me to 'get over it'?!" :evil: )

But this is going seriously off-thread - sorry!

Well it is and it isn't a bit. I think that some people who were famous in the 70s had to hide their sexuality and that secret has built up into a big thing, where it's not a big deal at all. Take Elton John for example, he got married for goodness sake. Same with Kenneth Williams, Frankie Howerd and Kenny Everett. All of them gay but due to the era needed to keep a lid on it. these days no one would care, but then they did.
I feel that due to some people hiding this in meant that other people could hide something far far worse.

Please understand, I am not for a second suggesting that being gay is in anyway like being a pedophile, what I mean is that there was a culture of hiding things in cupboards and some of those things were distasteful, and some now not even an issue at all.

Simon

Thanks for taking the time to watch the video and be our reporter 'live at the scene', and of course clearing up a lot of questions.

Assuming that 'they' haven't got to you and are holding you hostage, I think we can put this one to bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back