• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Jimmy Savile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone else think that Jimmy Savile's death might finally secure his reputation as a good man? The lack of red-top exposés confirming those ridiculous, shameful rumours/ULs about him will surely silence the f*ckwits and gossips who spread them once and for all?

WhistlingJack said:
Does anyone else think that Jimmy Savile's death might finally secure his reputation as a good man? The lack of red-top exposés confirming those ridiculous, shameful rumours/ULs about him will surely silence the f*ckwits and gossips who spread them once and for all?

I sincerely hope so. It worked for Jade Goody.

I'm not sure I know all the dodgy rumours about him.
Sure, he was odd - but I don't recall hearing anything really bad.

I was unfortunate enough to catch thought for the day on R4 just after he died. Some priest was saying Savile was a "holy fool" and compared him to St Francis of Assissi. So opinions could well go either way.

WhistlingJack said:

Probably not, you'll always get plenty of people who like a good gossip and a hefty dose of unsubstantiated rumour, it's what makes the tabloids go round, among other things (hello internet!), as well. I always liked Sir Jimmy, I think I said so on this thread, a real original in a TV landscape that really needs them. Plus there's the millions for charity, not to be sneezed at. To me he was a good bloke.

Umm, being compared to St Francis is none too bad, I think.

A truly interesting character, and a sinner as well as a saint.

St F has inspired many in all walks of life.

Well I still think it's a bit suspicious, him dying. I'd not issue a Death Certificate till there's been a CRB check. :?

Nice (ie. amusing) tribute to Sir Jimmy on Jarvis Cocker's 6 Music show today, including a (terrible) record Savile made in the 60s, and his top five catchphrases. It's on Listen Again, about forty minutes in.

Rob Brydon: 'I used to be ambitious, but now I’m more like JR Hartley’
Comedian Rob Brydon on his autobiography, his hero Jimmy Savile and how showbiz seems empty compared with being a father.
By Bryony Gordon
7:30AM GMT 07 Nov 2011

Rob Brydon met his hero once, back in 1985 when he was a drama student and one half of a comedy duo who had secured a spot on a BBC Radio Wales show. Sir Jimmy Savile, also appearing that Friday morning, gave the young Brydon a piece of advice: “Look at me. I can’t sing, I can’t dance, I can’t act. I can do f--- all. But I turn up at places, I smile, I wave. The punters look at me and say, ‘Jim’s having a good time, therefore so are we.’”

“And it’s very interesting with Jimmy Savile,” says Brydon now, “because you heard all this talk of ‘ooooh, when he dies, it will all come out’. But has it? I mean, I know so many people who don’t have a bad word to say about him.” I attempt a joke, always a mistake with a comedian: Sir Jimmy didn’t take too abnormal a shine to Brydon, then, did he? “Nooooo,” he says, in his soft Welsh burr. He looks curiously disappointed. “Who did he take abnormal shines to? Nobody knows, but they’re all quite happy to speculate.”

This reminds me of another Savile anecdote I heard recently, which I mention to Brydon. It involves a newspaper that had spent a year trying to dig up dirt on the DJ/presenter who died last week, to no avail. When the editor met Sir Jimmy, he told him he was a hard man to catch. “Then don’t go fishing in an empty lake,” Savile responded. “Good man,” smiles Brydon. 8)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebri ... rtley.html

Good man or not - I never met him - his appearance on TV always gave me the creeps!
Can't put my finger on it, can't "justify" it but the feller just made me uneasy and made me think he was unreliable.

As the expected celeb plaudits and anecdotes pour out into the media, all that occurs to me is:

1) He was a bloke that was non-celebrity in mind but enjoyed the trappings of his popularity.
2) He was a tight-fisted b*****d in his own life but generous in spirit.
3) He liked to control his public presentation (not so bad really) to the point it smacks of something to hide - which he apparently didn't have.

I respect his foresight to put his burial wishes into legal force but this "lying in state" so his adoring public can say farewell smacks not of a Man of The People but someone with a very high opinion of himself. This isn't so bad, I suppose, but adds to my unease in contemplation of the bloke.

He meant a lot to many ... but nothing to me.

Stormkhan said:
...someone with a very high opinion of himself. This isn't so bad, I suppose, but adds to my unease in contemplation of the bloke.

He meant a lot to many ... but nothing to me.
I tend to agree, but this raised my respect for him:
Some 5,000 visitors recounted endless examples of encounters with Savile in Leeds or Scarborough – his other great love, where he will be buried on Thursday and where the council is determined to beat Leeds to raising a statue. In a final joke which will guarantee his place in books and databases of oddness, he asked to be buried at a 45-degree angle so that he could see the sea. His undertaker Roy Morphet has promised to fix that for him.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/ ... ic-display
I recently joked that I'd like to be buried in St Ives cemetery, with a periscope installed in the grave so I could see the sea!

John O'Farrell posted an amusing tweet about Sir Jimmy:

Jimmy Savile funeral today. Met him once at Labour thing; he wore a rubber ear marked 'Bullshit detector' said to Blair 'talk into this one'.

:D

"I recently joked that I'd like to be buried in St Ives cemetery, with a periscope installed in the grave so I could see the sea!"

I remember those seaside telescopes.

That'll be a doubloon-per-view to 'ee. And it lasts a minute. :)

Sir Jimmy's grave encased in concrete over fears thieves might raid coffin for 'bling'
By Emily Allen
Last updated at 9:17 AM on 14th November 2011

Jimmy Savile's final resting place has been encased in concrete to stop thieves stealing the broadcasting legend's 'bling', it has been revealed.
Sir Jimmy was laid to rest four days ago, buried at a 45-degree angle overlooking the sea in the Woodlands Cemetery in his beloved Scarborough.
The DJ, who was a Freeman of the Borough of Scarborough, was buried with his Royal Marines green beret and medal, rosary beads and Help For Heroes wristband.

However, rumours Sir Jimmy was buried wearing his trademark jewellery have led to concerns his gold casket could be raided.
It is feared with the price of gold reaching record prices some will go to any lengths to get their hands on the metal.
So shortly after the burial service ended in Friday the grave was sealed in cement and then covered in earth.

A family friend said: 'The irony is - there isn't (any gold). Even the Royal Marine medal he is wearing around his neck is cast out of bronze.
'There is no bling in the coffin at all. There are just a couple of his unsmoked cigars somewhere in the casket and his rosary and Green Beret and Help for Heroes wrist-band.

'But the family were worried about security particularly as time drags on.
'There has been all this talk of a gold casket. In fact, it's made out of steel and we think it is just sprayed gold. The family chose it out of a catalogue.
'The police were worried someone could come along with a JCB. What the family didn't want is to get into a situation where they felt they had to relocate the grave.'
The friend added: 'No one wanted to talk about cementing him in because it sounded so cold. But at least the family has peace of mind now.'

Sir Jimmy's grave was sculpted over two days using a laser spirit level to get the angle right and ensure the casket was resting on virgin soil.
It is likely to be weeks before the ground is firm enough to plant his headstone, probably with the final epitaph: 'It was good while it lasted'.
Thousands lined route to Scarborough's Woodlands Cemetery on Friday for the burial which marked the end of three days of mourning.

Sir Jimmy's 7ft long gold coloured casket had to be specially imported from the US because of its golden hue.
Funeral Director Robert Morphet, MD of Bradford based Joseph A Hey & Son, said: 'It is a made of 18 gauge steel and hermetically sealed with a rubber gasket common to American caskets.
'It had to be specially imported because of its colour. But the reality is the gold hue is just brushed steel that's been spray painted.

'All I can say about the grave is that it has been securely back filled.
'The headstone will be erected in the family's own time. In the meantime, the grave will be marked by a temporary wooden name board or cross.'

etc...

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1dgFfYKsD

Can't be long now. *polishing dancing shoes*

If some folks are stupid enough to raid "live" electricity substations and railway power boxes then concrete is hardly a challenge.
Feck it all, even graverobbers in Ancient Egypt got round tons of stone and rubble ... painful death from the Otherworld notwithstanding!

I did wonder that using all that gold for a coffin sounded uncharitable, and out of character for a dedicated fundraiser. Could be why the family is so keen to point out now it's not really gold at all.

BlackRiverFalls said:
Really it's a secret trial run for Thatcher - they want to find out how much concrete it's going to take to keep the bitch down there.

Just heard on t'BBC News that the new Thatcher biopic, starring Meryl Streep as Herself, has been criticised for showing Thatch as 'a lonely figure, slipping into dementia'. Me'eart bleeds. :(

'Slipping'? Shouldn't that be 'plunging headlong with Caligula-like exuberance'?

Didn't The Comic Strip do a piss-take Hollywood version of the Miners' Strike with Al Pacino as Arthur Scargill and Meryl Streep (played by Jennifer Saunders) as Iron Knickers?

They did indeed, as I am usually keen to point out whenever anyone mentions the matter. :lol: Well done for doing it first this time. :lol:

Concrete! They told me was plate glass and I've already fixed it for a hundred boy-scouts to . . . (rest of post omitted as it's actually much filthier this way). :p

There was a great tribute to Sir Jimmy on BBC2 last night, basically a clip show but a real treasure trove of his idiosyncrasies. Of special interest to us lot was his encounter back in the 70s with Uri Geller, where the famed bender did his "draw a picture while I'm not looking and I'll replicate it" act.

Sir Jimmy promptly did so, leaving Uri baffled as to what it was - until he realised he had drawn the lower half of naked lady. Made a change from the usual house, I suppose.

The whole programme is on iPlayer if you're intrigued.

Gone, but not forgotten...

BBC 'buried Savile sex abuse claims to save its reputation’
The BBC shelved a Newsnight investigation into allegations that Sir Jimmy Savile sexually abused a teenage girl in his dressing room at Television Centre, it has emerged.
By Anita Singh
6:40AM GMT 10 Feb 2012

The woman claimed that the presenter molested her when she was 14 or 15 after inviting her to recordings of Clunk Click, his 1970s BBC family show.
Newsnight tracked down several other women who claimed that Savile used his role on the programme to groom and abuse teenage girls.
Reporters on the current affairs programme were also told of claims that two other celebrities, both still alive, sexually abused girls at Television Centre in the 1970s.

The BBC had hoped to broadcast the Newsnight report in December, two months after Savile’s death, but bosses ordered that the investigation be dropped.
Instead, the corporation screened two tribute programmes celebrating Savile’s lengthy BBC career as presenter of Jim’ll Fix It and Top of the Pops, and also as a Radio 1 DJ.
The BBC now stands accused of covering up the allegations, which were detailed in The Oldie magazine, because senior executives did not want the corporation’s reputation to be tarnished.

A BBC News source said: “The extreme nature of the claims about Savile meant that the Newsnight report was going to seriously compromise the lavish BBC tributes scheduled to run later the same month.
“And second, the allegations directly involved the BBC, in that the woman who gave the interview said that she and others were abused by Savile on BBC premises.”

All of the women making the allegations were former pupils of Duncroft Approved School in Staines, Surrey, where Savile was a regular visitor.
Two claimed that Savile took them for drives in his car and rewarded them with gifts of cigarettes, records, money and places in the Clunk Click studio audience in return for “sexual favours”.

In 2007, Surrey Police received a complaint from a woman who said she was indecently assaulted by Savile at Duncroft in the 1970s. The allegation was investigated but no further action was taken.
Neither Surrey Police nor the Metropolitan Police have been contacted by the BBC regarding the fresh allegations.

A Newsnight spokesman refused to answer any questions about the report or to deny that Helen Boaden, the corporation’s news chief, was personally involved in the decision to kill it. “Any suggestion that a story was dropped for anything other than editorial reasons is completely untrue,” the spokesman said.
“The BBC gathers information on hundreds of stories and not all make it to air. In this case the angle we were pursuing could not be substantiated.”

Mark Thompson, the BBC director-general, knew that the Newsnight team were working on the story but is understood to have played no part in the decision to shelve it.
Sources said that he was made aware of the investigation shortly before it was dropped, “but it was mentioned in passing at a social function and he was in no way involved in the decision to drop it”.

etc...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvan ... ation.html

Wondered how long it would take.

I started watching a doc on Savile the other night and I suddenly thought, 'Why the hell am I watching this?' Turned it off.

Under all the front and bling, there wasn't really that much there and what there was, was creepy.

rynner2 said:
In 2007, Surrey Police received a complaint from a woman who said she was indecently assaulted by Savile at Duncroft in the 1970s. The allegation was investigated but no further action was taken.

Presumably, because there wasn't actually any evidence - draw your own conclusions.

The press wouldn't dared to have run a story like this while he was alive, but then the dead can't sue, can they?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back