• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Jimmy Savile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw Have I Got News For You (gutted - Charlie Brooker and Ross Noble on it and I missed all but the last five minutes because I was watching QI), and the blanked headline "Jim Fixes it for XXXXX" prompted some potentially libelous statements reflecting previous comments on this board, including Ross Noble's "Jim Fixes it for everyone he meets to be creeped out" and a mass rendition of "Hows about a bit of hows your father" in a Saville style which quite frankly may be the legendary brown noise if I'm anything to go by....

Mythopoeika said:
[quote="When I lived in Peterborough, I used to live fairly near to one of Sir Jimmy's many houses. I regularly saw his Jag with the personalised number plate (but strangely, I never saw Jimmy driving).

Perhaps he needs multiple houses because he has already been cloned, and further cloning experiments go on inside. and you never see him as their all worried multiple jimmies will be seen. and they havent taught his clones to drive yet.

Now then, now then

The strange man with the cigar and the tracksuit who sat in a giant armchair making Tarzan noises is back on TV. So what's it like to spend the day with Sir Jimmy Savile? Jim fixes it for Sam Delaney to find out

Saturday March 31, 2007
The Guardian

Sir Jimmy Savile lives in a penthouse apartment in a smart suburb of Leeds. When I buzz the intercom to inform him of my arrival, a long wait is followed by heavy coughing, a strange rustling noise and, eventually, some firm instructions barked in that familiar Yorkshire burr. "Push the door. Get in the lift. Wait." The photographer, her assistant and I follow his orders and huddle ourselves into his private elevator. We wait there in silence for several moments. Suddenly, Sir Jim's voice echoes all around us: "Now then. Are you in?" Where is the voice coming from? It's like he's floating above us inside the lift shaft! So far, this feels like Sunset Boulevard meets 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Before anyone has a chance to abort, the lift cranks into action and within a few seconds the door is opening into the home of a broadcasting legend. He stands before us resplendent in tight running shorts, fluorescent string vest and pink John Lennon sunglasses. His shock of blond hair is wilder than ever and he is chomping on a Havana cigar. "Is everything under control?" asks this 80-year-old madman of the airwaves. We don't know what he means but we tell him that it is. He is pleased. "I didn't know there was a lady coming," he beams at photographer Jenny, before taking her hand, kissing it and feigning a cardiac arrest. "I've got a terrible stabbing pain," he cries, clutching his chest. Jimmy Savile is an extraordinary host.

Sometime coal miner, club manager, pro wrestler, DJ, TV presenter, business consultant, philanthropist and author of the 1979 tome God'll Fix It, Savile has crammed a lot in to his eight decades. What he's perhaps best known for is his long-running BBC series Jim'll Fix It in which he granted the outlandish wishes of ordinary folk every Saturday teatime for almost 20 years. Whether it was a snot-nosed nine-year-old who wanted to perform with the Bay City Rollers or a 103-year old vicar who dreamed of performing a loop-the-loop in a glider, Jimmy would wave his cigar like a wand and make it all happen. He'd then hang a hallowed Jim Fixed It For Me medal round each guest's neck - produced from the armrest of his magic chair. "That chair was modified so it could make cups of tea and stuff," he claims.

Now he's back in the chair for a run of Jim'll Fix It specials on UKTV Gold in which he is revisited by the guests of yesteryear. "The show was never intended for kids but they hijacked it," he reminisces. "The reason is that you still have dreams when you're a kid. Then you hit 13, the hormones kick in and all you're interested in is chatting up that girl down the road. Once you turn 65 you start dreaming again, though." What were his dreams when he was a kid? "My intention was to be loaded with nothing to do and that's still true for me today."

With supplementary homes in Bournemouth, Scotland, London, Scarborough and beyond it's fair to assume that he's financially comfortable. But he's not quite living the meals-on-wheels lifestyle of the average OAP yet. "I was up at seven this morning, doing 10 kilometres on that," he says, pointing to the exercise bike he has out on his astro-turfed balcony. "I can't stay out there for too long though or crowds start to gather." Savile is a devotee of personal fitness, with scores of marathons, 110 professional wrestling fights and the 1951 Tour of Britain cycle race behind him. Despite an expanding girth, he remains sprightly. We shuffle into the kitchen to make tea and I investigate the Savile larder. It is dominated by old-fashioned chocolate boxes and packets of Walkers crisps. In the fridge there are some ready-cooked bacon rashers and little else. He doesn't own a cooker. "Food is just fuel for me," he says. I remark that survival experts say humans can survive for a week without food. "Survival experts?" he exclaims, suddenly animated. "You're bloody looking at one! I was made an honorary Royal Marine 42 years ago. They invited me to attempt their 30-mile exercise across Dartmoor as a publicity stunt. They didn't count on me finishing it though did they? They were embarrassed that a long-haired DJ could complete their toughest course so they had to make me a Marine. And a Green Beret."

Sometimes, Sir Jimmy sounds like a demented fantasist. But the truth is that he's led an extraordinary life. Every item in his eccentrically decorated home (Del Boy Trotter's flat meets Stringfellows) tells a bizarre story. There's the picture of him cuddled up with The Beatles; the diamond incrusted, solid-gold wishbone around his neck given to him by a former South African prime minister; the framed photo of him with disgraced astronaut Lisa Nowak. "I did a personal appearance with her at Leeds University when she got back from space," he says. Before I've had a chance to comprehend this statement he continues. "After that she went home, packed her bags, drove 1,000 miles across America and tried to kill her love rival. Everyone said 'You bastard Jim! That could only happen to you!'" [That explains a lot! :shock: ]

And they were right. Sir Jim is a magnet for the preposterous, improbable and surreal. This, he believes, is why he has been invited to Chequers by every British leader since Harold Wilson. "I spent 11 consecutive new years there with Margaret," he says of his friend Mrs Thatcher. "Once, I went round to every bedroom in the house and left notes by the telephones saying 'In case of national emergency, call Jimmy Savile' and put my number underneath. The foreign secretary Lord Carrington grassed me up to Margaret but she took one look at the notes and said 'What a very good idea!'"

A perennial bachelor, Jimmy's motto when it comes to women is "Treat women right but don't believe a word they say. They might have a hidden agenda." So who does he hang out with in his spare time? "I eat with a different lady every night," he says. "The deal is: I pay, they drive. That way they can't get on the bevvy and start giving you brain damage." What about male friends? "At my age they've all died," he says. "Buddy Holly, Elvis Presley, John Lennon. The lot." Jimmy seems to be getting by without his illustrious list of deceased pals. In the afternoon, he takes me to the site of a new conference venue in Leeds city centre which will be called Sir Jimmy Savile Hall and house a museum dedicated to his life. His presence on site causes mayhem among builders and passers by of all ages. A middle-aged businessman approaches and asks Jim to speak to his wife on the phone. "No problem," says Jim, taking the mobile handset. "I don't know who you think this is but I'm the manager of the Golden Hands massage parlour in Manchester. Your husband is a regular face down here and is well behind with his credit." Then he hands the phone back to the scarlet-faced fan, pats him on the back and climbs into his taxi, another great Fix It under his belt.

Jim's amazing but true tales

"I'm an honorary Royal Marine and Green Beret."

"I turned a £600m pound loss into a £700m profit for British Rail in just over four years."

"I invented the plastic railcard."

"I invented Top Of The Pops."

"I'm a registered Manchester taxi driver."

"I own a mountain."

"I've got a quarter of million internet pages about me."

"There has never been a law passed that I couldn't bend."

"How much would it cost to hire me? A million pounds. And we'll work up from there."

"Big Brother paid me £150,000 for two days and I didn't even have to stay over."

· Jim'll Fix It Strikes Again is on UKTV Gold, Thu, 9pm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguide/tvra ... 29,00.html

...and...

From 1975 to 1994, Jimmy Savile presented the seminal children's programme Jim'll Fix It. Now, following in the stead of Wogan: Now and Then, Jim'll Fix It Strikes Again comes to UKTV Gold to reflect on former Fix Its, and dish out a couple of new ones. In the big chair, as ever, is Sir Jim himself. In March, I called him at home in Leeds to chat about the show, and - for the benefit of the magazine I work for - run past him a few questions about his TV-viewing habits. Here's the transcript of that conversation, and it starts, as you might expect, with our man picking up the phone...

The interview here.

WhistlingJack said:
No! :shock: I was genuinely pleased to read it.

Sorry.

No, I just wanted to shoe-horn my 'caustic' gag in there! It only happens once - and I've wasted here in no-man's land!

It is a good interview. But then he's always a (weird) delite to listen to.

He says what what he feels. And it shines through his ego.

It is a good interview.

megadeth16 said:
I think his a creep.
Maybe, but his a rech creep.

Seriously, there is something majorly wrong there. He's just not right, and no amount of benign pretence at forthright eccentricity can mask his intrinsic peculiarity and apparent inability to form lasting relationships.

It's "Fill in Your Own Punchline" week here at the FTMB.

He's got a Mensa IQ of 149/150, according to something I saw in 'Metro' (free paper in London).

It's not obvious is it? But then, he must have done all the right things to have become so rich.

When I was a kid my mate got on Jim'll Fix It.

He wanted to meet Michael Barrymore...

...if I remember it right, he had to stand on his head with Barrymore and do the Australian weather forecast.

Genius.

". . . if I remember it right, he had to stand on his head with Barrymore and do the Australian weather forecast."

It's hairy-starfish season, down-under, folks, so don't go in the water! :shock:

O another forum I go on, one memeber mentioned that a friend's mother had once given JS a BJ. Gives a whole new meaning to puffing on Jimmy's cigar......

Ive spent the last three days trying to convince my wife that Jimmy is changing his surname to "Pansy" and starting a rest home for retired monkeys. So far she thinks im fill of s*it :)

i was sure i heard a lamp-post trying to talk to me when i was coming out of headingley yesterday, but since i don;t listen to the radiator or the water heater when they sound like they're talking to me, i didn't stop to listen to the lamp-post either.

i'd have ignored it even harder if i'd known who it was :shock:

Jimmy Savile's burglar warning on lampposts

The voice of veteran DJ Sir Jimmy Savile is to be broadcast from lampposts in his home city to help the fight against burglars.
The 81-year-old presenter is helping out with "talking signs" which give advice on crime prevention in the student-dominated Hyde Park and Headingley areas of Leeds.

Sir Jimmy's voice will greet passers-by in the area with advice such as "Oi! Open doors, open windows. Burglars nick all the gear."

The signs, which are triggered by people walking past them, are part of a campaign organised by the Safer Leeds crime reductio
n partnership for the city.

Sir Jimmy told the BBC: "I have to apologise to all people of a nervous disposition and children because it could cause an innocent pedestrian, suddenly having me shouting in their ear, to be startled - or even make their hair turn white and long."

City councillor Les Carter, chair of the Safer Leeds Board, said: "I would like to thank Sir Jimmy for taking the time to support our anti-burglary campaign.

"High-risk burglary areas tend to be where large numbers of students live and we hope that people will listeN to Jimmy's advice and ensure they lock up their doors and windows."

Chief Inspector Mark Busley, of West Yorkshire Police, said: "Muggings, burglary and vehicle-related theft are the common crimes that students are at risk of.

"Any message that we can give that reduces the likelihood of them becoming a victim has to be a positive step."

Yorkshire Evening Post

There's a talking lamppost thing near my local library, which warns cyclists to lock up their bikes. It doesn't sound like anyone famous, though. I might write to the council and suggest they hire Sir Jimmy to become its new voice. (Although I'd prefer it to sound like the talking computer in Dark Star.)

powelly67 said:
O another forum I go on, one memeber mentioned that a friend's mother had once given JS a BJ. Gives a whole new meaning to puffing on Jimmy's cigar......

That'd make a good insult. :D

Yo' momma... ;)

Now we need a Jimmy Savile seatbelt warning for cars. "Clunk Click every trip!"

He's on the Today programme right now. :shock:

They're on about Bevan Boys, of whom he was one, serving as a miner in Yorkshire.

He was an Air Cadet, trained in recognising every known type of aircraft, which knowledge came in very handy a mile underground. ;)

This is rather weird (even for JS!)

Deep cover Jimmy Savile fixed it for warring royals
Maurice Chittenden

AS the host of television’s Jim’ll Fix It, Sir Jimmy Savile’s task was to fulfil the wishes of a generation of children. It’s amazing he found the time because, he now says, he had a parallel career as Middle East troubleshooter, confidant of Margaret Thatcher and mentor to the Prince of Wales.

Savile, 81, has decided to break his silence to reveal that, like the Hollywood innocent Forrest Gump, his eventful life has been touched by history.

He describes meeting the president of Israel who invited him to address the country’s cabinet. He was asked by Prince Charles to keep Sarah Ferguson, then married to Prince Andrew, out of trouble. He also spent “11 consecutive Christmases at Chequers” with the Thatchers. :shock:

It may sound fanciful that a man better known as a disc jockey in shiny shell suits or a runner in the London Marathon should have the ear of politicians, royals and killers. His claims, however, can largely be substantiated.

“I guess I am like Forrest Gump,” he said this weekend. “I am like a sewing machine needle that goes in here and goes in there but I am also the éminence grise: the grey, shadowy figure in the background.”

Savile describes his 50-year career as “Jim the Fixer” in an interview with Esquire magazine, in which he says: “The thing about me is I get things done and I work deep cover.”

When Savile led the £12m fundraising drive for the National Spinal Injuries Centre at Stoke Mandeville hospital in Buckinghamshire he persuaded the Duke of Edinburgh’s office to send a letter signed by Philip thanking a multi-millionaire businessman for offering his services even though the help had not yet been forthcoming. The letter sealed the deal.

Savile is still reluctant to speak openly about his relationship with the royals. His role was mentioned by Diana, Princess of Wales, in the “Squidgygate” taped conversation she had with James Gilbey, a close friend, on New Year’s Eve, 1989.

The princess was recorded saying: “Jimmy Savile rang me up yesterday, and he said, ‘I’m just ringing up, my girl, to tell you that His Nibs [Charles] has asked me to come and help out the redhead [Ferguson]’.” Diana also describes Savile as a “sort of mentor” to Charles.

In the magazine interview Savile says he was trying to lower Ferguson’s profile. At the time courtiers were worried about her friendship with Steve Wyatt, a Texan oil heir. “I was helping her not get publicity rather than to get publicity. To cool things down,” he said. “It was all part of my odd ways of going on.”

Andrew Morton, Diana’s biographer, said Savile’s opinions had carried weight in both camps during the “war of the Waleses”. He said: “He articulates opinions that courtiers can only think.”

Savile, who presented Top of the Pops from its start in 1964 and also the final show in 2006, says his friendship with Thatcher and other prime ministers stemmed from the close proximity of Stoke Mandeville to Chequers.

“They are four miles apart and we are their neighbours,” he said. “We have a suite of rooms to take VIPs from Chequers. When Tony Blair had his heart trouble this is where he came.”

He says of Thatcher: “I knew the real woman and the real woman was something else. The times I spent up there [Chequers] – Denis, me and her, shoes off in front of the fire. There was no conversation really. Anyone with that sort of entrée might be punting for any number of things, but I hardly said a word. She tippled to that.”

A friend of Thatcher said last week: “I do not know about every Christmas but she remembers him being there for informal discussion. She remembers him fondly and thinks he was an interesting chap.”

It is while working at another hospital – Broadmoor, the high-security mental institution – that Savile met people such as Ron-nie Kray and Peter Sutcliffe, the Yorkshire Ripper.

Perhaps his greatest coup was addressing the Israeli cabinet at the invitation of Ephraim Katzir, then president, while in Israel recording a Jim’ll Fix It programme in 1975.

Savile said this weekend: “I arrived at this reception and I was wearing a pinkish suit with short sleeves. When the president came to me he asked howI was enjoying my visit to Israel.

“I said I was very disappointed: the Israelis had won the six-day war but they had given back all the land, including the only oil well in the region, and were now paying the Egyptians more for oil than if they had bought it from Saudi Arabia.

“I said: ‘You have forgotten to be Jewish’. He said: ‘Would you like to tell my cabinet that?’ Next morning I went to the Knesset and they interrupted a cabinet meeting and I told them the same as I had told him.

When I got home I got a call from the Israel embassy saying they wanted to give me an award but I was happy to take a wooden box off the ambassador’s desk.”

Roger Ordish, Savile’s BBC producer and co-creator of Jim’ll Fix It, said: “I know he met the president when we were in Israel in 1975. And he did the same thing at Chequers with the Blairs as he did with the Thatchers. Jimmy has this strange authority without being a person in authority. He is definitely unique.” Additional reporting: Laila Sennah

The full interview with Sir Jimmy Savile appears in the June issue of Esquire

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u ... 868024.ece

I would think Mr Saville probably has some very powerful, very handy (ie. nasty) friends, or by now he would have been publicly shot down in flames in the way we British love to see our celebrity figures. One minute they are flavour of the month, next minute they have their foibles splashed all over the Sunday Shitsheets.

For him to have survived all these years and not had any real, provable nastiness exposed is just too good to be true, and let's face it, the public image of him in his lame tracksuits, working with kids, St Jimmy etc, is such a tempting target begging for a smackdown. Some determined journo would have dealt Jimmy Saville a fatal blow years ago, surely?

Everyone, and I mean everyone, has things about them that they would rather no-one knew about - from the way they treat their wife at home whilst publicly being Mr Family Happiness, to what floats their boat sexually, even if it isn't something as extreme as erm, necrophilia. Hey, even having an S&M orgy with a load of hookers can apparently damage your public image, whereas I can see absolutely no harm in that. I wish I could afford to have those parties. But then I'm not in the public eye, if I was, I would be tut-tutting my disapproval with the rest.

For Mr Saville to still have nothing proven against him (whiffs of unpleasantness, or giving people the creeps don't count, I'm afraid, because the Pope - present and worse, the previous one - to me looks like Evil personified, but millions of Catholics would disagree), after all these years in the public eye is incredible.
In fact, over the past few years, when he hasn't really been in the public eye, would have been the time to expect tabloid kickings to be dealt out, they love to see a "star" who is fading. This would be the time he may be still swaggering about like he could in his heyday, and also the easiest time to knock him off his perch. Plenty of people would surely be queueing up to spill the beans on his eccentricities, specifically the perverse or illegal.

This leads me to conclude either:

a. No-one dares exposing him, for fear of having the kind of accident that makes Henri Paul's spill look like a minor ding.
b. Jimmy Saville actually has no provable nastiness. Which arguably makes him even more intriguing, it means he can't be human!!

I bet, in 500 years people will be discussing Jimmy Saville, who was so obviously the Grand Master of some all-powerful secret World Order, with all his dealings like those listed in the post above, and how stupid people were in 2008 not to have recognised it!

Louis Theroux had a go at exposing him (so to speak), but if anything his deeper eccentricities shown on the documentary merely enhanced Savile's reputation. Not every celeb has a skeleton in their closet. I wouldn't cross him, though, you're right.

Have any of you considered just how ridiculous the various Jimmy Savile rumours are, and how many people would have to be involved if they were true? Here's a thought - it just may be that the reason that no corroborating evidence for these vile slurs has ever surfaced is that there's no basis to them whatsoever and he's merely an eccentric public figure who some find mockable...

I think it's the way he ruthlessly shook that egg in a box in the Clunk Click seatbelt public information film that first unsettled people. Not me, I thought he was being businesslike.

I don't think many of the Jimmy Saville rumours are ridiculous, in fact some seem quite plausible, if distasteful (not for him personally to be involved, but generally speaking). If anything, the things that are true seem quite ridiculous (I will confess to not having checked any of the Forrest Gump-type events or the "facts" in earlier posts, I'll accept them at face value. Slurs and accusations, however, I would like to see proof!)

I simply find it odd that a man who was pretty much A-list celeb back in the day, has never had anything of note served up against him.

Extravagant, extrovert types like him do not get to the top by being good eggs to everybody, they get there by ruthless determination and trampling over those who stand in their way. Even the ones who appear to be matey and ordinary-folk-done-good are total bastards when things aren't going their way, and if you prod around anyone who knows them, the evidence is there to be found. I know because I have worked with quite a few "celebs", and it is always the salt-of-the-earth type who are the biggest snakes, all smiles in public, but flip back instantly when the camera switches off.

It also follows that when these people achieve the fame and fortune they have pursued, they can afford to indulge in all manner of excess, be it drugs, drink or sex, even though it could jeopardise their career. No-one has been found coked up to the eyeballs, fisted to death in Jimmy Saville's swimming pool though.
I say again that EVERYONE has a dirty secret, and IMHO it follows that the flashier and more extravagant the figure, the dirtier the secret. Look at John Major, Mr Boring, tucks his shirt into his underpants, but is tupping one of his ministers. Hardly shocking behaviour, but from him, astonishing. As far as I'm aware, Jimmy Saville, a far more flamboyant figure in what could be argued is a hedonistic industry, doesn't appear to have conclusively shagged anyone, let alone Edwina Currie. Or snorted half of Peru.

It would seem that our Jimmy has either buried the bodies so deep that the smell doesn't leak out, or he really is St Jimmy the Mild. Personally, I don't think he would be still commanding any attention if he didn't have serious clout, his eccentric style would be so tempting to mock, destroy and consign to history were there any real opportunity to do so. Remember there is always another extravagant, extrovert eager to get ahead by stabbing the old guard in the back. Why has no-one stabbed Jimmy?

FWIW, I think that Jimmy Saville only appears creepy in hindsight, in the way clowns do to me now after seeing paintings of Pogo the clown. When I was a kid, Jimmy, and clowns, were harmless fun. It's only as I have got old and cynical that they appear to be less wholesome, not because the evidence shows that they are.
I'd prefer to think Jimmy Saville really is a super-nice bloke, doing all he can for those less fortunate than himself by cleverly using the contacts he has made throughout his showbiz career. So if you are reading this Jimmy, don't send anyone round!

As Gordon says, when he's dead, maybe the truth will out, but I reckon there's a good few more years in him yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back