• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Jimmy Savile

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live near Stoke Mandeville hospital, and for as long as I can remember rumours have abounded about Sir Jimmy of Saville handing over cash to the staff there in order to be left alone with the...err... 'recently departed'.

*shudder*

Jimmy Saville: None. More. Wrong.

ALLEGEDLY.

Is it just me who finds the constant, unsubstantiated, paedophilic and necrophilic rumours about this man to be both tiresome and distasteful? I wonder if the Dennis group's lawyers do also... :?

No, I find them hilarious. I don't read gossip pages or watch the soaps, and am not interested in Big Brother or Celebrity Fat/Fit Camp or I'm A Celebrity...

But I have disliked JS for years and am always pleasantly surprised when I'm reminded how many other people find him creepy too. :lol:

But there's a difference between disliking a person and slander/libel, surely..?

What are you accusing me of?

Jimmy Saville is ace, he was inadvertently one of the innovators of Hip Hop culture and as a DJ was the first man to utilise the now standard "2 turntables and a microphone" setup. Popular music in Britain wouldn't be the same if he hadn't been around doing his thing in the 60's and 70's. I find the slanderous accusations and rumours tiresome also. Leave him alone, he's an just an eccentric old man.

escargot1 said:

I'm not accusing you of anything, Escargot, just pointing out that there's no evidence to support the unfounded allegations against the man and if ever he was minded to put an end to the dissemination of rumours about him, the board could end up with another Bishop Manchester episode, or worse (and I'm highly dubious about the validity of the word 'allegedly' as a defence... :?).

WhistlingJack said:
escargot1 said:

I'm not accusing you of anything, Escargot, just pointing out that there's no evidence to support the unfounded allegations against the man and if ever he was minded to put an end to the dissemination of rumours about him, the board could end up with another Bishop Manchester episode, or worse (and I'm highly dubious about the validity of the word 'allegedly' as a defence... :?).

*Points at Whistling Jack*

You said it, you said the name that cannot be said!

The below is taken verbatim from the Theroux documentary, recorded late at night when he thinks the camera is off. He is talking about the dancehall days.

"I wouldn't stand for any nonsense whatsoever. Ever, ever. I never threw anybody out. Tied them up and put them down in the bloody boiler house until I was ready for them. Two o'clock in the fucking morning... We'd tie em up and then we'd come back and I was the judge, jury and executioner. If a copper came and said 'You were a bit heavy with those two guys', I'd say 'Your daughter comes in here, she's 16, she's not supposed to come into town. Presumably you'd like me to look after her. If you don't want me to look after her, tell me and I'll let them dirty slags do what they want to her.' "

Suffice to say, whilst he may not be a necrophiliac, he is at the very least a deeply unpleasant man.

And that's precisely the episode I'd use to counter the allegations that he pursues an unhealthy interest in young girls - as I've said before, if you don't like the man that's one thing, but propagating scurrilous rumours is another. Let's just be careful, okay?

10NaughtyThings said:
The below is taken verbatim from the Theroux documentary, recorded late at night when he thinks the camera is off. He is talking about the dancehall days.

"I wouldn't stand for any nonsense whatsoever. Ever, ever. I never threw anybody out. Tied them up and put them down in the bloody boiler house until I was ready for them. Two o'clock in the fucking morning... We'd tie em up and then we'd come back and I was the judge, jury and executioner. If a copper came and said 'You were a bit heavy with those two guys', I'd say 'Your daughter comes in here, she's 16, she's not supposed to come into town. Presumably you'd like me to look after her. If you don't want me to look after her, tell me and I'll let them dirty slags do what they want to her.' "

Suffice to say, whilst he may not be a necrophiliac, he is at the very least a deeply unpleasant man.

I'd imagine that in those days, a signifcant proportion of the people who ran Nightclubs had their own "methods" of keeping the rabble in order, so while it doesn't sound very pleasant, it's probably not unusual or indicative or anything else.

WhistlingJack said:
See, now, you really shouldn't do that if you want to put a stop to scurrilous rumours, because now I'm compelled to ask what happened with the Bishop [of] Manchester? Except I suppose libel laws prevent you from telling me. Can I even have a hint of the kind of talk which might get us into trouble?

I'll then show my other face (I've got several) and say that hilarious though this talk about JS is, if it's not true then it's a bit harsh. Accusations of necrophilia etc are a serious business, even for a weirdo like him. I don't think it's libellous to suggest there's something not quite right about him, but I agree that we can't just say whatever we want, only to duck behind the word "allegedly". As Ian Hislop has found to his cost on occasion.

I think I've referred before to JS's habit of insisting on smoking his cigars in hospitals (despite the No Smoking rule).

(And I got that story directly from a hospital worker at the place in question.)

This is all typical of the attitude in this country. Claim that we are proud of the great British eccentric, but as soon as they do something that offends middle class sensibilities we go all out to crucify them.

:D You know he had Dennis Rodman quaking in his boots :D

Sorry, OT here but this got me wondering: Where's Louis Theroux nowadays, I've seen his book in the shops, but we need more Weird Weekends on our tellys.

I heard him on the radio when his book came out an he said he was looking for new projects. Trouble is, I think potential victims, sorry, subjects, are pretty wary of him now.

The Thereoux book's good, but I can't help thinking he revisited everyone because he had a sudden crisis of confidence and wanted to check that everyone didn't hate him...

Nooooooooooooooooooo!

http://media.guardian.co.uk/site/story/ ... 01,00.html

4.15pm

Jim to fix it again in TV return

Jason Deans
Thursday October 26, 2006
MediaGuardian.co.uk

UKTV Gold is fast becoming the TV revivals channel - after bringing back Terry Wogan's chatshow, the network is now resurrecting Jim'll Fix It.

Jim'll Fix It: Now And Then will feature the irrepressible Sir Jimmy Savile looking back at fix-its and contributors from the original series, which ran from 1975 to 1994.

Sir Jimmy will also be making new dreams come true with the help of celebrity guests in the six-part series of half-hour programmes, to be made by independent producer North One Television.

Wogan: Now and Then, which follows a similar format, will also be returning to UKTV Gold for its third series next year.

Surely it should be called Jim'll Fix It: Now Then, Now Then?

escargot1 said:
Sounds like a couple of firm entries for the old 'Six Degrees Of Separation' thread!

Me and Jimmy, we're like THAT, we are.

I can actually do this one! My ex used to go out with a woman who later went out with Sir Jimmy. I could never understand it because she was a very attractive, successful young woman. What on earth did she see in him?

I grew up just round the corner from where Jimmy has lived for years and used to see him quite regularly in the area. I can remember my mum pointing him out at the next table in a cafe once. He was dressed quite normally in jeans and a shirt back then. I don't remember there being any nasty rumours about him either in those days, in fact he was quite a popular figure locally.

butterfly27 said:
Jimmy Savile is allegedly accredited with inventing the concept of the disco, by playing records in local church halls and charging people to come in and dance to them, and thus becoming the very first DJ. Is this another UL?

the dj and record producer mike waterman makes the same claim.

if we can find a way of breeding jimmy saville with himself, every town could have their own, and once a year they could all meet up for the "saville olympics", hmm perhaps i should try to sell thet idea to viz?

Sir Jim actually claims to be the first DJ to mix with two decks. When DJing in the 60s, he used two decks and alternated between them to cut the time between songs.

As to whether that's true or not...

RealPaZZa said:
If we can find a way of breeding jimmy saville with himself, every town could have their own, and once a year they could all meet up for the "saville olympics", hmm perhaps i should try to sell thet idea to viz?
Maybe you could get all the Jimmys to run against the clock for 26 miles. Call it a Sav-llon. Or put eight of them in a fast boat and have a Saville Row. The possibilities are endless.

Peripart said:
RealPaZZa said:
If we can find a way of breeding jimmy saville with himself, every town could have their own, and once a year they could all meet up for the "saville olympics", hmm perhaps i should try to sell thet idea to viz?
Maybe you could get all the Jimmys to run against the clock for 26 miles. Call it a Sav-llon. Or put eight of them in a fast boat and have a Saville Row. The possibilities are endless.

Or indeed, the Jimmies could do an event in East London sponsored by a sausage manufacturer, which would be called the Saville-oi.

When I lived in Peterborough, I used to live fairly near to one of Sir Jimmy's many houses. I regularly saw his Jag with the personalised number plate (but strangely, I never saw Jimmy driving).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back