• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

John Cleese Believes In Life After Death

@Tempest63 - please summarise, say why you are posting it.... the usual :)

Frides

I don't know where to put this so please feel free to move it if somewhere more appropriate.

I've never been religious but as I get older I feel more spiritual. Over the last couple of years I've read two books on life after death. The first book said that after reading it, you may notice some things more and may feel different. Which I thought was silly.

I accept the contribution that science has made to classic science subjects, but personally feel that it is a blunt instrument to try to deal with some more Fortean subjects. But over the last year or so I find myself feeling more sensitive to some ideas and feelings. Is this to do with my age (55), am I turning all woo woo or is there more to it I wonder.

I personally feel that every atom in the universe is connected to every other atom, not just on a physical level but on a spiritual level. I find myself feeling that as a sentient being, I should do what I can to ensure that life continues, even if it just an insect. I feel it when I can't do that. As a sentient being I feel that my action towards tiny forms of life are important in the bigger picture. And I do feel (without any evidence of course) that some form of our consciousness continues after the death of the body.

I was not expecting this TBH and I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Anyway, this ex punk is off to sit in a tree singing Blowing In The Wind.

I will look back on my Kindle and give you the title. It is probably a very well known book but I really haven't read much about relatively current studies before.

I don't know where to put this so please feel free to move it if somewhere more appropriate.

I've never been religious but as I get older I feel more spiritual. Over the last couple of years I've read two books on life after death. The first book said that after reading it, you may notice some things more and may feel different. Which I thought was silly.

I accept the contribution that science has made to classic science subjects, but personally feel that it is a blunt instrument to try to deal with some more Fortean subjects. But over the last year or so I find myself feeling more sensitive to some ideas and feelings. Is this to do with my age (55), am I turning all woo woo or is there more to it I wonder.

I personally feel that every atom in the universe is connected to every other atom, not just on a physical level but on a spiritual level. I find myself feeling that as a sentient being, I should do what I can to ensure that life continues, even if it just an insect. I feel it when I can't do that. As a sentient being I feel that my action towards tiny forms of life are important in the bigger picture. And I do feel (without any evidence of course) that some form of our consciousness continues after the death of the body.

I was not expecting this TBH and I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Anyway, this ex punk is off to sit in a tree singing Blowing In The Wind.
My ex father in law was an atheist to his fingertips, until he developed prostate cancer in his late 60's. Shortly before his death from same, he converted to the Catholic faith (which his wife, my ex mother in law was a lifelong member of) and his funeral was a very long drawn out Catholic affair. I'm not sure whether he thought he'd hedge his bets, whether he was nagged into it or whether he genuinely had a proper conversion moment.
There's no doubt that I think, in his prime (Python and Fawlty Towers) John Cleese was a comedy god. I don't think I would like to be stuck in a lift with him though. But, as has been observed above, there have been a great many funny people (men mostly) who I would say that about.
He wrote 'funny' extremely well and he was a good comedy actor. A lot of people make the mistake of conflating 'person who is funny in private, on paper or can do a 'funny turn' very well' with 'person who splits sides everywhere he goes'. A lot of comedians and comedy actors are depressives. Making people laugh is a very serious business, and one should never expect constant rib-tickling from a comedian any more than one should expect it from, say, Brad Pitt or David Attenborough.

My ex father in law was an atheist to his fingertips, until he developed prostate cancer in his late 60's. Shortly before his death from same, he converted to the Catholic faith (which his wife, my ex mother in law was a lifelong member of) and his funeral was a very long drawn out Catholic affair. I'm not sure whether he thought he'd hedge his bets, whether he was nagged into it or whether he genuinely had a proper conversion moment.

He wrote 'funny' extremely well and he was a good comedy actor. A lot of people make the mistake of conflating 'person who is funny in private, on paper or can do a 'funny turn' very well' with 'person who splits sides everywhere he goes'. A lot of comedians and comedy actors are depressives. Making people laugh is a very serious business, and one should never expect constant rib-tickling from a comedian any more than one should expect it from, say, Brad Pitt or David Attenborough.

Talking of hedging ones bets reminded me of the final (or penultimate) words of Voltaire.

On his death bed, a priest asked him "do you renounce the devil?".
Voltaire's reply was "ah Mon brave monsieur, ce n'est pas le moment de faire de nouveaux ennemis!" (Oh my dear fellow, this isn't the best time to start making enemies!).

Now that was a parting shot from a real comedian, who truly understood life's great comedy!

Talking of hedging ones bets reminded me of the final (or penultimate) words of Voltaire.

On his death bed, a priest asked him "do you renounce the devil?".
Voltaire's reply was "ah Mon brave monsieur, ce n'est pas le moment de faire de nouveaux ennemis!" (Oh my dear fellow, this isn't the best time to start making enemies!).

Now that was a parting shot from a real comedian, who truly understood life's great comedy!
Supposedly the much under rated W.C.Fields during his final illnes was observed reading the Bible. His visitor accused him of hypocrisy.
Field's retort was:
"Quiet; I'm looking for a loophole."

He was allegedly not as curmudgeonly as supposed, when a kid asked him for an autograph in a restaurant the kid's parents slapped the kid and told him off for bothering Fields. Fields gave the kid an autograph and sat with him doing conjuring tricks for half an hour.

It was a time when there was less outrage over what may or may not have been an on screen persona. In the 1940s he was accused in an interview of keeping multiple bank accounts in various parts of the world (Tax evasion?) He replied; "Yes, I even have one in Berlin in case that son of a bitch Hitler wins."

Some quotes here:

Drunken, misogynist, lecherous and with Philadelphia as his own Cromer a lot probably wasn't acceptable even in his time but if his biography* is to be believed that wasn't actually the man.

"W.C. Fields and Me" by Carlotta Monti and Cy Rice

Back