• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Latest Reports Of UFO Sightings

I've only seen a few clips of power arcing, and the effect tends to last a very short time before the power cuts out automatically. Probably there aren't many clips of this kind because it is such a very short-lived phenomenon. I would put power-arcing low on the list of possibilities, behind lamping, kids playing with torches or trailbikes. Certainly if I saw mysterious lights on a hill near me I'd think trailbikes first, although you would normally hear them before you see them.
Came across this video (when researching the Denbigh lights 'ufo' video) of power line arcing which I found pretty interesting, as just before the line 'box' blows up, there seems to be anomalous objects (bright lights) in the sky! *Note: not return reflections from the window.
The light anomaly first appears on it's own (smaller circle), then the larger anomaly appears on the left, then they both disappear after the line box blows?
Screenshot (279).png

Last edited:
Reactions: BS3
I'd put kids with torches, or trail bikes
pretty low down based on the appearance (and "movement" - ie the lack of it over 9 minutes) of the lights themselves. Plus 3 in the morning in a storm on a January weeknight seems an unlikely time to be out.

Lamping seems like more of a possibility although viewing the video with as few preconceptions as possible, I was pretty sure I could make out sparks falling down and to the right at several points.

Looking on the map, the circular structure in Crest Mawr wood is labelled as a reservoir; presumably the line is supplying power there for some reason. A bit of further information I can find suggests it's a 500,000 gallon concrete structure built in 1967 and includes pumps, so I imagine the power is to supply the pumps.

I'd put kids with torches, or trail bikes
pretty low down based on the appearance (and "movement" - ie the lack of it over 9 minutes) of the lights themselves. Plus 3 in the morning in a storm on a January weeknight seems an unlikely time to be out.

Lamping seems like more of a possibility although viewing the video with as few preconceptions as possible, I was pretty sure I could make out sparks falling down and to the right at several points.

Looking on the map, the circular structure in Crest Mawr wood is labelled as a reservoir; presumably the line is supplying power there for some reason. A bit of further information I can find suggests it's a 500,000 gallon concrete structure built in 1967 and includes pumps, so I imagine the power is to supply the pumps.
Good bit of research there BS3!

....this circular object in the ground - what ever it is.
View attachment 66993

Could it have something to do with Golf? If you go to the street view and look at the entrance to that path, there are signs up saying 'golfers crossing; some sort of practice range maybe. - Notice too from street view off the main road just how 'sloppy' those overhead cables are. Compare to the pictures of wooden-poled overhead lines here: http://www.cambridgelandconsultants.com/blog/2016-03-21-what-are-the-different-types-of-power-lines.

I'm guessing here... but on examining the Google images again from the look of that arrangement what you're looking at here is a 400v three-phase line, fed from a transformer up at the Golf Club or thereabouts. - If there was a storm, and those cables were being 'chucked about' they might well arc!

Could it have something to do with Golf? If you go to the street view and look at the entrance to that path, there are signs up saying 'golfers crossing; some sort of practice range maybe. - Notice too from street view off the main road just how 'sloppy' those overhead cables are. Compare to the pictures of wooden-poled overhead lines here: http://www.cambridgelandconsultants.com/blog/2016-03-21-what-are-the-different-types-of-power-lines.

I'm guessing here... but on examining the Google images again from the look of that arrangement what you're looking at here is a 400v three-phase line, fed from a transformer up at the Golf Club or thereabouts. - If there was a storm, and those cables were being 'chucked about' they might well arc!
This webpage is a little more informative of the events on that night.
https://www.sufon.co.uk/post/the-denbigh-lights-the-ufo-in-wales-declared-real
What I found interesting, was that towards the end of the text one of the boys stated that the 'dis' seemed to dip to one side - sounds like one of the cables might have burnt through, then fell down (appearing to look like a disc shaped curve) to the ground? Question is, was it repaired/replaced, at some point that would throw a bit of fact on the sightings that the boys witnessed.

Looking on the map, the circular structure in Crest Mawr wood is labelled as a reservoir
As I suspected, a water tank. It should have pumps, and a power line to power those pumps. It might be arcing, but I doubt it would last long, unless they have very inefficient circuit breakers.

On the other hand, some places in the USA do seem to have power lines which are prone to arcing, and I think I've seen it in France, too. So it does happen.

One potentially important thing on that page is the witnesses' quote describing the lights as "mini explosions", which is the effect I seem to see on the video.

There is one point in the documentary where they overlay the night and daytime views pretty exactly and this seems to show that the 'lights' are just above, or on, the line of the hill (rather than in the sky, in or above a field etc). Of course at night none of this would have been obvious to the witnesses. The lights to them would also probably have looked far brighter and larger than the video suggests.

Have to stay these white lights and occasional red lights behaving in that manner when seen from a distance remind me of seeing traffic coming down Telegraph Hill from a certain vantage point in Exeter, a distance of several miles away. The somewhat erratic timing of the lights also mimics how traffic flows as cars bunch up in small 'convoys' and then leave gaps. Also the way the lights appear to explode was seen with the cars cresting a hill and corner to suddenly be in line with the viewer and then dropping away again as the vehicles descended.

But of course this doesn't fit the time and location, so can we be 100% certain that this footage was shot by young children at 03.00 after one was woken up by a bin being blown over? Could traffic have been diverted along a road just partially visible in the distance above that ridge?

Last edited:
"Could traffic have been diverted along a road just partially visible in the distance above that ridge?"
I would say that it's most unlikely, as the next in-line road sits some 620 metres further on over the hill, and I imagine that the dense trees being on the top of the hill would more than likely obscure any chance of seeing any traffic movements over that distance anyway, given the angle that the video was taken from.

I would say that it's most unlikely, as the next in-line road sits some 620 metres further on over the hill, and I imagine that the dense trees being on the top of the hill would more than likely obscure any chance of seeing any traffic movements over that distance anyway, given the angle that the video was taken from.
Ok, worth discounting.

Well it is a nice little mystery still be solved but somewhat tainted by the original investigator deciding it was, and I quote, "extraterrestrial life" from day one and thus probably ignoring evidence pointing towards a rational explanation from the outset. This current chap Geri Jones is a mate of Caz Clarke, the main witness of the recent Pentyrch Incident. This was also an exciting new UFO encounter at first but one that was satisfactorily explained by Metabunk as parachute flares and other military activity from a pre-arranged exercise. However, Clarke refuses to accept this evidence and claims it was all a government conspiracy to shoot down UFOs that night.

Ok, worth discounting.

Well it is a nice little mystery still be solved but somewhat tainted by the original investigator deciding it was, and I quote, "extraterrestrial life" from day one and thus probably ignoring evidence pointing towards a rational explanation from the outset. This current chap Geri Jones is a mate of Caz Clarke, the main witness of the recent Pentyrch Incident. This was also an exciting new UFO encounter at first but one that was satisfactorily explained by Metabunk as parachute flares and other military activity from a pre-arranged exercise. However, Clarke refuses to accept this evidence and claims it was all a government conspiracy to shoot down UFOs that night.
After what others have found out, and suggested about this 'ufo-uap' incident, I would strongy suggest that the explanation of electrical shorting would be the right one, myself.
I remember one morning (when living in Scotland) - when walking to work on an icy cold morning in winter, approaching the bottom of a steepish hill at the junction, a bus passed by me, totally lost control, slid straight across the junction, and crashed unavoidably into a telegraph pole.
The reaction from the overhead lines was almost identical to that sparking, and running flashes along the overhead lines, were more-or-less executed in exactly the same way (running along the lines) as it appears in the Pentyrch night-time encounter.

I suppose the main question is: given the type of power line in the location of the sighting, which I'd humbly suggest is the feed running uphill to the Crest Mawr reservoir, is it possible for there to be some fault which would cause arcing for at least 6-9 minutes (the duration of the video). Obviously as there was a storm going on at the time, we have a plausible explanation for why a fault might have developed in the first place.

We can't really blame the witnesses for misinterpreting what they saw, as it was something very much out of the ordinary. But it seems the two boys decided very quickly that it was a UFO, and this no doubt also influenced the two other witnesses (and the dog, who probably barked as his owners were agitated). The problem is that investigators are often quick to reassure witnesses that they're not seeing things by confirming their belief that they saw a UFO, rather than reassuring them that it's OK to misperceive stuff.

By the way @Sid didn't you have a really spectacular sighting yourself once?

I suppose the main question is: given the type of power line in the location of the sighting, which I'd humbly suggest is the feed running uphill to the Crest Mawr reservoir, is it possible for there to be some fault which would cause arcing for at least 6-9 minutes (the duration of the video). Obviously as there was a storm going on at the time, we have a plausible explanation for why a fault might have developed in the first place.

We can't really blame the witnesses for misinterpreting what they saw, as it was something very much out of the ordinary. But it seems the two boys decided very quickly that it was a UFO, and this no doubt also influenced the two other witnesses (and the dog, who probably barked as his owners were agitated). The problem is that investigators are often quick to reassure witnesses that they're not seeing things by confirming their belief that they saw a UFO, rather than reassuring them that it's OK to misperceive stuff.

Several!

I get the feeling that the circumstances of the night in question, must have played a large part of what had taken place. The moisture in the air, coupled with wind and cables being thrown about up on top of the hill, (probably the windiest spot) might well have produced an unusual type of shorting out set of circumstances, as was seen from a good distance away. It may have also have been something of a 'Saint Elmo's Fire' effect in play on the surface of the cables?

Last edited:
British ufologist, John Mooney, claims his photo of a UFO over Devon proves UFOs are real.

https://nypost.com/2023/06/24/ufo-hunter-claims-new-photos-are-evidence-we-are-not-alone/
More from Mr Mooner:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/red-arrows-airshow-audiences-spot-30196277

He will sell you some photos, too:

https://www.picfair.com/users/Johnmooner

Or you can go to his website:

https://ufologist.yolasite.com/main-home-page.php

Wait, here is his YouTube:

Have to say, this guy has a phenomenal success rate in capturing extraterrestrial incursion into our atmosphere and absolutely none off them are birds, insects or aircraft captured at speed on a digital camera....

Last edited:
I enlarged a bird from one of my starling photos. I've ringed it in red here. The other image is much enlarged and also has a “force field emanating around it", as an artifact of the enlargement.

s2.jpg

s1.jpg

I enlarged a bird from one of my starling photos. I've ringed it in red here. The other image is much enlarged and also has a “force field emanating around it", as an artifact of the enlargement.

View attachment 67357

View attachment 67358
Quick, send it to Mr Mooney :)

Seriously, I am an admirer of serious Ufologists such as Malcolm Robinson, Jenny Randles, Philip Male, Jacques Vallee, Dr David Clarke...even Nick Pope when he is being sensible. But this guy is just photographing birds and insects, making exaggerated claims and then actually selling his photos on his site and presumably to the papers.

Further testing was now required, but Prof Loeb believes they either have interstellar origins, or have been made by an advanced extraterrestrial civilization.
Well, he may be correct. Metallic spherules with an unusual elemental composition certainly may have come from an interstellar meteor, and gathering them by magnet is a good idea. But it is much more likely that these spherules are the result of natural processes occurring in deep space, rather than the product of technology. In fact, there have been previous successful experiments designed to collect interstellar dust;
see
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25124433/
Seven particles captured by the Stardust Interstellar Dust Collector and returned to Earth for laboratory analysis have features consistent with an origin in the contemporary interstellar dust stream. More than 50 spacecraft debris particles were also identified. The interstellar dust candidates are readily distinguished from debris impacts on the basis of elemental composition and/or impact trajectory. The seven candidate interstellar particles are diverse in elemental composition, crystal structure, and size. The presence of crystalline grains and multiple iron-bearing phases, including sulfide, in some particles indicates that individual interstellar particles diverge from any one representative model of interstellar dust inferred from astronomical observations and theory.

We should always bear in mind that the Solar System, the Earth and every human on it is created from interstellar dust and molecular clouds; interstellar dust is actually very common. Collecting interstellar dust is admirable, but it doesn't necessarily mean that the dust was created by an advanced technology (although that is an interesting possibility).

Well, he may be correct. Metallic spherules with an unusual elemental composition certainly may have come from an interstellar meteor, and gathering them by magnet is a good idea. But it is much more likely that these spherules are the result of natural processes occurring in deep space, rather than the product of technology. In fact, there have been previous successful experiments designed to collect interstellar dust;
see
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25124433/

We should always bear in mind that the Solar System, the Earth and every human on it is created from interstellar dust and molecular clouds; interstellar dust is actually very common. Collecting interstellar dust is admirable, but it doesn't necessarily mean that the dust was created by an advanced technology (although that is an interesting possibility).
One thing I noticed when I happened to witness watching a huge Asteroid that crossed over the part of Scotland where I used to live, was the fact that as the lower part of it touched the atmosphere, the 'nose' part of it which was slightly tipped downwards was literally dripping molten white hot, momentarily flashing just like the sparkle you see given off from a firework.
Could this melting action possibly form some of the spherule's as they cool off on there way downwards, or would they simply be burnt up completely?

Back