• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Legs With No Body, Running Along The Road

...As it happens, I went out about 2am last night and had to negotiate that 'haunted' lane I've mentioned in earlier posts. In the distance were two figures whose features I couldn't make out, and they seemed to taking a few steps forward and then back, again and again...

And thus an internet meme is born.

Step aside Slenderman, here comes the (insert scary chord sequence) HokeyCokeyTwins!!

Thinking about seeing partial ghostly figures, why do we think this is odd? Other than the ghost thing. One theory for apparitions showing up is that it requires a use of energy. Usually people will report coldness, electrical faults etc. when seeing a ghost. Maybe partial apparitions are due to not having enough of an energy source to fully appear.

Another sighting she had was of a cat . A calico cat that appeared in her house one day. She wondered how it had got in and if it perhaps belonged to a neighbour, or something . She looked at it and it looked at her , then just vanished . She never saw it again.
Reminds me of the Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland.

Just love this kind of report. A bit about the history of the pub:

View attachment 75273

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1160195

When Harry Martinndale saw those York cellar Roman soldiers were not visible below the knees it was postulated that this was because Roman York was at a lower level (and it was later discovered they were on the path of a Roman road). Could the floor level of the Angel have changed when its as rebuilt and this ghost woman dated back to before 1850? (not sure where this leaves the Princess Diana haircut though).

Perhaps I am slightly pushing it here when I mention that Diana herself visited Beverley;

https://library.eastriding.gov.uk/documents/10158/60401/Royal+visits+to+East+Riding+of+Yorkshire.pdf/54b5f32c-670b-4c95-ac0f-01b81f1e06ee#:~:text=In September 1988 Princess Diana,open a new Maternity wing.

Could she have popped in for a swift half...?
I asked my sister if she had any idea about the level of the floor having changed since the 80's She doesn't think so but can't be sure. The pub where she saw the man with the unspillable pint was the Worth Valley inn , in Keighley , West Yorkshire

...They did the Hokey-Cokey and I turned around!

In all seriousness though - without any obvious cause or context, odd, repetitive, jerky human movements can be most disconcerting.

There's a small canon of ghost lore where such movements occur. It's an element in at least one of the
Stocksbridge Bypass Ghost sightings. It may also be connected to the Sprinting Spooks? (Swift-Running Ghosts / Entities / Figures) I started way too many years ago to be comfortably recalled.

I've always somehow felt there should be more to add to the latter thread, but the sparsity of the content suggests otherwise - I've always felt that I've heard more examples, but can not quite pin them down.

In all seriousness though - without any obvious cause or context, odd, repetitive, jerky human movements can be most disconcerting.

There's a small canon of ghost lore where such movements occur.
If there's any truth in the stone tape idea it could almost be that the recording is played back at the wrong speed, like those early newsreel films.

Thinking about seeing partial ghostly figures, why do we think this is odd? Other than the ghost thing. One theory for apparitions showing up is that it requires a use of energy. Usually people will report coldness, electrical faults etc. when seeing a ghost. Maybe partial apparitions are due to not having enough of an energy source to fully appear.
But would that not mean that the entire ghost would appear, but the lack of energy would mean they would seem more transparent? Summoning energy to manifest, but only summoning sufficient to manifest one's trousers would be odd... but hypothetically possible. Might say more about the ghost than they'd like known, though.

But would that not mean that the entire ghost would appear, but the lack of energy would mean they would seem more transparent? Summoning energy to manifest, but only summoning sufficient to manifest one's trousers would be odd... but hypothetically possible. Might say more about the ghost than they'd like known, though.
While logical, we know that ghosts aren't logical. If things were that easy, a physical mechanism would have been worked out long ago. Having said that, colour leeching with time passed seems to be a regularly reported feature of recurring ghosts - formerly colourfully-dressed phantoms fading to dull shades or greys in later reports. As always with Fortean phenomena, there are exceptions.

While logical, we know that ghosts aren't logical. If things were that easy, a physical mechanism would have been worked out long ago. Having said that, colour leeching with time passed seems to be a regularly reported feature of recurring ghosts - formerly colourfully-dressed phantoms fading to dull shades or greys in later reports. As always with Fortean phenomena, there are exceptions.
My experience was that the little old lady I saw appeared as you say as colour leeched. On the other hand the dog was as solid as you can imagine a dog to be yet even our scardy little cat who was looking at it appeared unphased and merely settled down when the dog disappeared. The actual appearance of these phenomenon seems to vary wildly.

There was nothing visible below the knee , so no clue about the boots , but my sister had had a few of these types of sightings.
She was in a local pub one new years eve and it was packed. She noticed a man carrying a pint making his way toward the table she was sitting at. At first , she marvelled at the fact that he was making his way through the crowd very easily and was not being jostled around , like everyone else. She wondered how he managed to keep his pint steady and not spill anything .
He looked as though he was about to sit down next to her , and she was just about to tell him that the seat was taken (her partner was at the bar , getting served) when he just vanished. She said his hair was bril cremed and combed back and he was wearing a de mob suit. She later asked the landlord about it and was told they were aware of this man and to never mention it to his wife as it absolutely terrified her .

She once saw a woman's hand on her bed . Just the hand and part of the cuff of a lacey , victorian ,ladies nightgown . She lived in a victorian house at the time.
Another sighting she had was of a cat . A calico cat that appeared in her house one day. She wondered how it had got in and if it perhaps belonged to a neighbour, or something . She looked at it and it looked at her , then just vanished . She never saw it again.
To be fair both stories could be partial timeslips, it's obvious the shades were just going about there business, great stores by the way tis a strange world we inhabit

Back