• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Julian - all I'm asking is that you go into more depth about your idea about leys and Manhattan's street (i.e. what do you think is the connection and why?). I think you left it as an open-ended question.

As for the rest of your post - there's one very important thing that you should remember: what people say here are their opinions - nothing more, nothing less. So if I or anyone else says something about any given subject, it's just our opinion. Whether you decide that this opinion is informed or not is entirely up to you ;) Any opions contrary to your own are not any form of attack on you or your intellectual capacity.

Re: Here we go...

julianpenrod said:
To all:
It seems like this thread, or, at least, this portion of it, has turned into something of a ley line, itself, stretching from the reference to the supposed existence of such lines and their effect on the placement of important sites; to my own reference to the unusual straightness of Anasazi roads and the length and straightness of modern Manhattan's streets; to, frankly, uncivil reaction by others to the board; to my reaction to that lack of civility; to put downs of my reactions, and defense of, frankly, what is allowed to pass for sophistry on the board, to a discussion of what constitutes an actual search for truth.

I agree, such are the nature of threads on a message board (frankly ;)). If its a ley line lets hope we harness some of its power :)

Pedagogicizing professorally

Seeing as how you mentioned 'literal assaults on your words' that is really horrible alliteration ;).

FraterLibre asserts: "Truth without fact to back it up is mere opinion." This seems aimed at what seems an unequivocal denunciation of anything that doesn't comport with what can be termed "traditional teachings", which just about includes anything and everything addressed on the Fortean Times website.

Nonsense. Admittedly its a bit of a platitutude but its hardly a reactionary attack on non-cannonical theories - just a criticism of poorly supported ones.

In fact, this is wrong. In the 1920's, logician Kurt Gödel produced what is termed the "improvability theorm", which, essentially, stated that, in any logical system complex enough to include elementary arithmetic as a subsystem, there will be entire groups of statements which are unprovable within that system. These statements will have to be true, because, being "unprovable" they cannot be disproved by single dissenting examples. But there will be no logical proof of their being true, and while they may have supporting examples of their truthfulness, they will not have the kind of "rigorous demonstration", which, frankly, is what FraterLibre seems to have had in mind when they referred to "fact to back it up"! But they will not be mere "opinion"!

I'm quite familiar with Godel (incidently its the unprovability theory) but my acceptance of your above counterpoint (and the Vienna circle's brand of logical atomism in general), would necessitate an acceptance of an analytic criterion of truth which i can't manage. The sort of rationalist, platonic 'truths' Godel, Wittgenstein, Russell and Moore etc. dealt with work well within the 'black or white', 'true or false', binary domains of geometry, mathematics, and metaphysics, but become far more problematic when we speak of 'real' world propositions. The ideal is healthy, but propositions akin to 'ley lines exist' do not carry within them the same kind of rigorous criteria for defining their own truth or falsehood as statements like 2+2=4 do. The former, unlike the latter, is excedingly tricky to grant clear indesputable axioms governing correct usage. (Just to scratch the surface: what a ley line actually is and, hence, what items can be counted as ley lines is heavily disputed, as, indeed, are solid criteria for identity and existence!) Godel's advocacy of a 'neat' theory of linguistic representation (according to which propositions are "logical pictures" of possible facts.) would work fine in a logically perfect world which painlessly deemed statements 'true, false, or meaningless', but it falls down in a world coloured, for the most part, in the shades of grey between.

To re-apply this to the argument: You claim that some complex statements (systems) will remain unprovable because simple propositions within them are not open to being "disproved by single dissenting examples" i.e. something can be 'true' without 'fact to back it up', as FraterLibre has it. Once again, it depends on one's view of truth. In forwarding this argument you are tacitly subscribing to a (philosophically contraversial) definition of truth known as the 'correspondence theory' by which truth or falsehood is determined by the presence (or lack) of a correspondence between the statement in question and a state of affairs in the world. Without posting an essay, i object to this on the grounds that it presupposes an objective interpretation of the world which is, in actuality, betrayed by our everyday interactions in the world; we don't experience the world as it is (in a noumenal sense), but rather as it is for us as individuals. The very etymology of the word fact, from the Latin facere: to make, should serve as a reminder that facts ARE NOT states of affairs in the world which can be simply compared to the the supposed word-pictures presented in propositions formulated through languge, but are rather human, personal, subjective constructs and interpretaions. Although, for the most part, we tacitly agree to 'live in agreement' with other common language users, the silent differences between our interpreations and created 'facts' about the world should be enough to cause one to ask how we can consider truth to be objective (like Godel) whilst simultaneously finding truthood to depend upon the correspondence between our own subjective interpretations and articles of language.

General correspondence and my ontology aside, even if i grant you correspondence theory without debate, you utilise Godel's criteria of truth whereby statements are true unless they are disproved by the demonstration of a state of affairs to the contrary: Classic example being all crows are black because i can't find a white one. Are Godel and yourself not putting the cart before the horse here? If i were to say 'my car is red' surely the verification of this 'fact' would be found to inhere in the 'fact' that my car is red, not in the 'fact' that i cannot show you that my car is blue or yellow or some other colour? Its a slightly odd way of interpreting the world i hope you'll agree, and bizarre that such theories are considered 'verificationist' when, in reality, they don't 'check to see if X is true' but rather 'check that its not true that anything contrary to X is true'! :D

nb. When i mention 'facts' here, i am allowing (against my judgement) that these facts may be related clearly by linguitic propositions without semantic loss- so by Godel's reading 'x is red' is true because i cannot honestly speak the proposition 'x is not red'.

Julian, I have criticisms of your interpretation of Darwin's usage (or not!) of Ockham's razor but they'll have to wait until i get some spare time,

regards

Oh, incidently, i honestly think Stu Neville was trying to help you out by removing your personal details - if you choose to post them now then i expect they will be left so there's really no reason for the two of you to make an issue of it :) Similarly, when he referred to 'Trolls' i feel sure he didn't mean people who talked rubbish or even failled to toe any supposed 'party line' of the messageboard, but the sort of person who'll repeatedly post the word 'motherf*cker' and then email you pictures of donkeys violating children for the next week!

What?

What's he on about?

And how come I'm the one whose posts are snipped? I mean, damn. LOL

Re: What?

FraterLibre said:
What's he on about?

Uh, metaphysics and philosophical logic...mostly :)

Philosophy?

Philosophy's the stuff on a cereal box, religion's a smile on a dog. -- Charcoal Briquette and the Nude Bohemians or what ever.

And here I thought we had a genuine foaming-at-the-brain zealot puffing at least the scent of brimstone from his talented anus. Silly me.

Despite my serious temptation to once more address each point Julian makes, attempt to offer both explanation and to challenge responses where I know I've been misconstrued, to be honest I can't be arsed. So I'll keep it simple:

Julian (note use of forename - to be referred to by one's surname throughout a post is somewhat dismissive, IMHO): for a start, can you please write in paragraphs? Your prose is quite rich enough to begin with - I imagine a number of people would be put off reading the entire tract in order to extract the points you wish to make within.

Secondly:
"As for finding and spreading the truth", Stu Neville opines, "yes, that is laudable, and a principle of which I am fully in favour, whether you (or indeed your God) believe that to be the case or not." The suggestion that I "or my God" do not truly respect the dispensing of truth is so thinly veiled as to be all but transparent.
I never suggested anything of the sort. I was agreeing with you, and merely stated this was my attitude whether you chose to believe it or not (or indeed your God). A good illustration of your apparent tendency to take umbrage at the drop of a hat without even attempting to understand the perspective of others.

As for further digs at me:-
a) Yes I did fall into a rhine (this is a ditch, not a river, in this case surrounded by reeds and tall grasses) into which I fell at night. And there was no mention of it on the map.

b) I entered this discussion by defending the attitudes of both JerryB and FraterLibre after you had called their personal approaches into question - this isn't partisanship. This was actually a (clearly misjudged) attempt to get the thread back on track (pardon the pun).

c) We genuinely did have your interests at heart when we asked you to remove personal information: as you have signalled that you need no such concern on our part, I acknowledged this immediately. Why we're still discussing this I have no idea.

d) Finally, this accusation
...including patent misrepresentation of philosophical technique to do so.
That, my friend, is a direct insult as far as I'm concerned. I'm in the ineteresting position of being able to not only warn you, but if necessary ban you for such conduct - to do so, however, I feel would merely confirm the misguided views you so clearly hold of the moderators on this board. This once, I will let it pass.

Instead, I would ask that all posters on this thread desist now from personal attacks, acknowledge that we all hold differing opinions (each of which is unproven, and thus just as valid as any other unproven theory), and return to the matter of Leys.

*ahem* so...about those ley lines???

The Romans built straight roads simply because it was easier to plan, I suggest the same is True for New York rather than any kind of esoteric reasoning.... unless there is any other evidence other than them simply being straight? Glasgow and some other cities of the time were built on a grid system of straight lines ....but that was the idea of the time most of it was built, to simplify the design of the city and have it all neat and orderly. Of course the grid system is crap but they didnt know that.

As for Ley Lines, perhaps these lines might be due to the magnetic field of the earth, perhaps it was stronger a few thousand years ago and easier to detect or even that they have moved somewhat due to the Earths shifting fields. I think there is some scientific evidence of Megalith's having some very mild healing properties due to EM emissions and ultrasonics (dont have time to track down all the evidence at the moment, Paul Devereux is one source: http://www2.prestel.co.uk/aspen/sussex/qsm/qsm5.html#article4), perhaps they were built the way and places they are to harness the power of ley lines & where they cross, acting as a kind of "tuning fork" if you will and "ringing" when placed just right, so no doubt if leys have changed they will be less effective now. Perhpas ley lines simply follow the lines of faults in the earth since tectonic activity etc produces hightened EM emissions. There are certainly enough folklore and legends of healing powers of the stones to merit some consideration.

Some people claim that underground rivers/streams or minerals could cause an increase in EM activity that was interpreted into the idea of lines of power rather than the Earth's magnetic field.

My Contribution

It was my rather minor contribution to this discussion to ask, and not at all rhetorically, if Ley Lines are even confirmed actually to exist. It was that question that seems to have set off the religious bombing and strafing.

It remains a valid question. Are Ley Lines actual or are they projections from our expectations? Are they artifacts of our brains' pattern-finding tendency?

I'd suggest that a good many so-called Ley Lines aren't any such thing, but rather they are composed of a combination of our perception and the stringing of randomly selected or coincidental spots on the map that seem in some way or another significant to us.

I'd further suggest that some Ley Lines -- what ever that term may mean -- were indeed constructed by building a string of sites connected by tracks or roads of some sort. Now, in some instances, this was for trade. Shortest distance between two points being a straight line, it'd be surprising if we didn't see old straight tracks between major city centers or sites of importance such as churches or mounds. (Landmarks, used for confirming one's route.)

In other instances there may have been religious reasons. Ghost tracks may have been built between cemetery and church and the Aztec and Mayan roads between either holy or business sites serve as another example.

Many reasons for many types of straight tracks, in short.

My own whimsical suggestion of Interstate Highway Route 80 proves the point. It's dead straight as much as possible, and stretches from one side of the USA to the other. Imagine the wonderful religious and mystical nonsense future cockroach archaeologists will come up with to explain the likes of that.

further response to reactions to posts on Anasazi roads

To all:
This is not intended to make this thread overlong, but statements made previously do call for rejoinders.
JerryB again insists that his one sentence response to my suggestion that Manhattan streets are long and straight because they fall on ley lines was intended to provoke my "going into more depth", providing "the connection" and saying why there is a connection. Is it so hard to see that the connection was that Manhattan's streets are among the longest and straightest in the world, and ley lines are characterized as being responsible for sites being on straight line paths? He said he was asking for a theory. This is along the lines of only assembling the information! Why does he seem to have so much difficulty in seeing that?
He emphasizes, too, that what is mentioned on this site are only opinions. He may find that some people are more serious about learning about the world than he seems to want to depict them as being. Not everyone sees this as only a way to, essentially, be heard, without saying anything significant. "Any opions [sic] contrary to your own", he continues, "are not any form of attack on you or your intellectual capacity."
Invoking the idea of paranoia does not exonerate the sentiment behind a statement!
And, in fact, contrary views cannot be taken as so minor a thing.
If you say the sun is yellowish, and someone walks around saying it's plaid, there are very few ways that can be taken than as a deliberate attempt to be infuriating. There are, after all, entire groups of people, basically, individuals who never got enough attention in their lives - and often because they were glory hogs, not because people ignored them! - and they go through the day mouthing patently outrageous doctrines. Those do not qualify as "opinions". Opinions are not mere collections of words, strung together grammatically; a genuine "opinion" has to have some background and qualify as at least worthy of consideration. Someone who so characterizes an opinion, generally proclaims their intent to dismiss everything except their own precepts.
But this is, apparently, in keeping with the general attitude of those touting "the party line".
The term "opinions" is, frankly, bandied about as much as Occam's Razor, and, to be frank, usually by those seeking to promote "the party line". Anyone suggesting anything at variance with "traditional precepts" is described as either expressing "only an opinion" or "violating Occam's Razor"! In this way, any disagreement with "traditionalism" is depicted as "reckless", "invalid" or "embarrassing." And this does persist and exist, in many venues. Which is only one reason for being careful about dismissing the idea of "opinion" out of hand, and, frankly, more than enough reason to be careful before apotheosizing Occam's Razor.
It is insulting to term what someone says, necessarily "just an opinion", or to elaborate with the phrase "nothing more, nothing less". There are, likely, many who do contribute to The Fortean Times with the genuine interest of furthering understanding, not with the desire just to mouth off before a room of strangers. And it is not likely that they would be appreciative of having what they say treated as - that is to be said - rantings! And, for those who put full analytical effort into what they say, brushing what they say aside as "just and opinion", and, therefore, unworthy of full investigation, is, because of that, an attack on their intellectual capacity. It is saying that they don't have the ability to think, that their statements can be sloughed over without effect. And, for many, it may lead them to think that, no matter how much work they put into what they say, because it is "just opinion" - not the magical sort of incantation that "traditional science" is credited with! - what they say cannot have any merit!
My reference to Gödel's theorem was taken on by the Fortean board member with the i.d. The Yithian. I invoked the theorem since, essentially, it indicates the existence, in complex logical systems, of statements that are true, but without rigorous proof, in that system. FraterLibre's insistence on "facts to back up" theories that are not "traditionalist" would be, presumably, difficult to arrange for such truths, but, by the nature of unprovability, it would not brand them as "mere opinion"!
It has to be said: note, again, the use of the word "opinion" in what can only be termed a determinedly dismissive manner!
The Yithian proceeds, then, to critique Gödel's theorem as, basically, grounded in a kind of "black or white" dichotomy, namely, that statements have to be "true" or "false". They describe the matter as "more problematic when we speak of 'real' world propositions". They describe statements like "ley lines exist" as "not carrying within them the same kind of rigorous criteria for defining their own truth or falsehoods as statements like 2+2=4". Frankly, "2+2=4" does not carry the "criteria" for proving its own truthfulness. That comes from elsewhere. And, for that matter, even in the Manichean system Gödel is described as ascribing to, the unprovably true statements could not possibly possess it, either, by definition!
To be sure, the uncertainty in analyses of the world, the presence of things not in keeping with accepted theory, does not necessarily qualify as being a case of unprovability. That would suggest at least a significant degree of knowledge of the fundamental principles behind the logical system, against which background, new precepts which have never been disproved, but which do not yield to proof, arise. In fact, it cannot be asserted that all the fundamental precepts of the universe have been firmly established. “Science” is very much a going concern. And, even at that, the world, as we know it, may be, at least to a large extent, controlled by the precepts of a “logical system”, but it cannot, in fact, necessarily be termed a “logical system”. Matter is matter, energy is energy, and what can be considered the ethereal entities in a purely hypothetical “logical system” can be said to be something else entirely. For this reason, matter may, indeed, act in ways not completely bound by the absolute firmness of a “logical system”. The number “5” can only act a certain, way, but The Fortean Times is full of stories like that of people walking into an area they had visited numerous times, and found something completely different there! Indeed, then, a wholesale use of logic and philosophical techniques to analyze matter may be unfounded.
And Occam’s Razor is one of the standard tools recommended by “traditional philosophy”.
The Yithian then questions the pedigree of truth, itself. They critique the use of “correspondence theory”, in which the truth or falsity of a statement is determined by the existence of a correspondence between the statement and an event in the real world. In truth, as The Yithian states, it can be asserted that there are truths that don’t have what can be called facts, to back them up. But, such statements can be said to tend to inhabit the world abstract to “the real world”. That system on which “traditional science” is based does, however, in general, recognize as true only those things that do have facts behind them. If the substance of the real world may transcend standard philosophical systems, by not being definitively and universally dependent on, and answerable to, “logical arguments from first principles”, it seems, too, to lag, in having an attenuated form of “truthfulness”. Pure philosophical arguments may not go very far in defining what matters based entirely on real world interactions yield. It has, for example, been asserted that a fault of Classical Greek reasoning was their insistence that they way things “should be”, based on personal preferences, is what it must be! Aristotelianism, for example, is credited with saying that heavier objects fall faster because they should!
“Hegel’s crows”, to which The Yithian alluded, demonstrates that using deductive reasoning in an inductive sense is, at least, inconvenient, if not eminently nonforthcoming in laying the groundwork for a philosophical system. If “all crows are black”, then, equivalently, “all non-black things are not crows.” Just making an assessment of all non-black things within reach, and showing that they are not crows, then, does not prove that all crows are black, but, supposedly, lends ever more support to that premise. Using such deductive constructs, at least in the context of a system not completely founded on fundamental principles, falls short of the kind of definitive quality which is preferred by at least “traditional science”. In fact, it does not “prove” as undesirable the technique of “proving” a point by excluding all alternative situations, it merely demonstrates how, if nothing else, logistically involved it is. Yet, let’s be frank, that is precisely the method “traditional science” pursues!
With respect to that form of truth controlled by facts, The Yithian goes on to insist that “we don't experience the world as it is”, but, instead, “as it is for us as individuals”.
“Facts ARE NOT states of affairs in the world”, The Yithian goes on to declare, “which can be simply compared to the the [sic] supposed word-pictures presented in propositions formulated through languge [sic], but are rather human, personal, subjective constructs and interpretaions [sic].” The forgiving would say that The Yithian is describing a deep and fundamental disconnect between observations and precepts backed by what can be called metaphysically unassailable tenets.
In fact, they are describing situations little different from machinations of the outlandishly spiteful.
There are people you will meet who will tell you, for example, that all cats have five legs. They will say that they know that for a fact, and have read it in any number of books. And, if you point to a four-legged tabby, crossing the street, they will say: “Oh, that poor animal! It lost a leg!”
And, while you are fuming, they will laugh inwardly at having gotten your goat.
But it goes beyond that. There are those who so deeply invest the spirit of goading in their nature that they will actually believe - that is, they will act, even before themselves, as if they accept - what they say.
There is a man, for example, whose “sense of humor” can lead him to call you, then, when you answer, he will ask why you called him. When you tell him you didn’t call him, he’ll insist that his phone rang, and you were on the line. When you hang up, he won’t even crack a smile. He didn’t “enjoy” this, he did it because he had to! Then, when he sees you, at another time, he’ll ask why you hung up on his phone call to you!
There is another individual who once swore to me, forward and backward, up and down, side to side, that he was his own twin brother! I happen to know that he didn’t have a twin brother, or any other kind of brother!
Be careful when you walk the streets of Orange, New Jersey.
This is the situation The Yithian describes when they speak of facts being “subjective”!
Not necessarily a founded lack of agreement between absolute truth and observation, but, rather, a demonstration of willful self-deception.
And, apparently, misinterpreting the connection of the Latin “facere” - meaning “to make” - to justify the interpretation of “facts” as purely subjective affairs only threatens to de-legitimize any argument you might make in that direction. “Facere” indicates something coming into being, being made solid, tangible, and it is that tangible and demonstrable quality of “facts” which connects them to the Latin root, not the presumption that “facts” represent something “made” by the viewer!
The electrons and protons and neutrons seem to be in enormous concordance about states of affairs. At least, they all tend to act remarkably alike each other in similar circumstances. Because someone with a malevolent ulterior motive decides to say that snow is green, that is not sufficient reason to necessarily justify tossing all observation. If subatomic particles can, essentially “agree”, it would seem that humans could, too. It seems that there is a way, there has to be a way, to ascertain a truthfulness independent of subjective vision. And that is not something so uncommon, necessarily. Terming it as difficult, however, seems either a common ploy of the untrustworthy to exculpate themselves from deliberate deception, or the dodge they use when they peddle a fraud for personal gain and, inevitably, the evidence of the swindle becomes apparent! Defining absolute truthfulness as difficult, if not impossible, to come by is, generally, as much a product of willful, self-seeking connivance as the lying machinations of those deliberately “out of contact” with the world!
Unfortunately, it seems that invoking such things as this eminently corrupt debasement of reasoning is the ersatz that philosophy has been passing off as “intellectual depth” for centuries! To a very large extent, philosophy qualifies as one of the least forthcoming of all human pursuits. There isn’t anyone who can name any great advancement that philosophy has contributed. At least, what passes for, and has, for a long time, passed for philosophy. Embroiling themselves in questions that even they say they cannot have answers for, they have trundled forth an image of “sophistication” - facilitated by five-syllable words, which, in general, have different fundamental meanings to every one of them who uses them! - and have cozied their ways into exalted positions, on the basis of, essentially, convincing fluff!
And the prevalence of, essentially, eminently questionable “thinking” - that is, the institutionalizing of certain theories, for whatever reason, and the systematic cobbling together of apologia masquerading as “sophistry” to sustain them - has demonstrated itself in any number of cases in at least the modern avatar of “traditional science”. In fact, for example, Einstein’s Theory of Relativity has never been really proved. There are a number of alternative interpretations that differ only by not having had, essentially, the same amount of press. Innumerable times, patent chinks in the armor of the theory are discovered, and, each time, it is prated that “relativity must be right”, so some new and “previously unsuspected” quality of matter is invoked to cover the hole! They throw a book at you with a lot of equations in it and expect you to take that as “proof”!
A good, recent example of this proclivity in “traditional science” can be seen in the very article mentioned only a few days ago, on the Fortean Times website, about “the oldest planet in the universe” being discovered. Residing in a global cluster companion of The Milky Way is a star with a body circling it, only about twice the size of Jupiter. It cannot be a small star, since there seems no additional radiation coming from the system, and a star that small would, likely, have evaporated from its own heat, long ago. The globular cluster is dated as coming from the time of the Big Bang, before the evolution of the heavier elements - so crucial to planets we know - in stellar furnaces. At the time of the hypothesized Big Bang, there were some heavier elements, but they seemed to make up only about ½% of all the matter in the universe. It is eminently unlikely that, even in a large universe, with many different chances, such a small amount of heavy material would ever get together in one place to form a planet.
There are, however, alternative explanations, which can allow a planet like this to exist. One is that the Big Bang did not occur, and the history of the universe is incorrect!
The gymnastics physicists have been going through to try to make the Big Bang theory fit, frankly, have begun to become embarrassing!
One study declares the universe “too uniform” for matter to have accumulated to forms stars and galaxies. “Traditionalists”, then, have tried everything from microscopic black holes to disembodied gravity “strings” to, frankly, the ludicrously overbloated notion of a massive expansion at hundreds of times the speed of light, just a fraction of a second after the universe came into being!
Other studies, however, and using much of the same data as the first, now declare the universe to have been “too irregular and nonuniform”! Now, they say that the very same early universe shows discontinuities that are too large! “It’s easy”, they say, for random clumping to occur in minute samples, connected almost instantaneously by light signals and natural interactions, but, in such a large region as the early universe, such aggregations should have been nonexistent!
They should get their stories straight!
Or at least admit that, from the start, the Big Bang is flawed!
It is, after all, based only on the fact that light from more and more provably distant galaxies, supposedly, shows a relativistic spectrum shift that suggests they are moving away at greater and greater speeds. But, after a certain distance, astronomers didn’t even try to find actual distance anymore; they just said that the galaxy seemed to be moving away at such and such a speed, so it must be this distance away! Early on, a theory of “tired light”, that is, light somehow acted upon by surroundings, to make it appear reddened, was suggested to explain the red shift, but it was quickly abandoned, in favor of Einstein’s red shift.
It should be mentioned, too, that, if Einstein’s Relativity is flawed, the relativistic red shift measurements can be, too!
In the end, though, there seems little, if any, independent evidence for a Big Bang. What form the universe had, in the eras that precede the present, may be something completely exotic, but the “traditionalists” seem determined not to accept it. Their shibboleth is that the Big Bang must be believed, no matter what! As is demonstrated by the case of the purported planet. As one of the researchers commenting on the existence of the planet asserted, this supposedly indicates that “planet formation processes are quite robust and efficient at making use of a small amount of heavier elements”. Planet formation, as defined, depends only on accretion, and that is not a magical method for acquiring heavy elements that aren’t there! There are alternatives for the Big Bang, and this new planet would seem to legislate for them. But, the “traditionalists” would demand, the Big Bang must be true, therefore, they cobble together ad hoc some gratuitous “explanation” to patch up the hole in the wall!
Again, it depends on one’s definition of “simple”. Acknowledging that the Big Bang has many points in contradiction to it, then scrapping it and developing a new model, based on the observations; or insisting that the Big Bang must be true, no matter what crops up, and proceeding to posit new, hitherto unseen phenomena, to explain all the contradictions!
And that is the face of Occam’s Razor! At least in the “traditionalist” world of science. The “simplest” thing, they seem to insist, is not to invoke a new system, but just keep on chugging with the old system, and keep plugging the holes with new “details”! Whatever validity Occam’s Razor has, it has only when used by the honest and honorable. And, then, it is not likely that it will be used at all!
In the end, what “traditionalists” try to depict as a sober, sensible approach to understanding nature shapes up as little more than a scheme that allows them to “justify” doubting everything except what they are told to believe.
Addressing my references to their comments, Stu Neville accused me of a “direct insult”. They, then, went on to utilize threat to, apparently, try to control my statements, pointing, for example, to their ability, as a moderator, to refuse to post any messages by me on the board. The “insult” referred to my taking issue with Stu Neville characterizing FraterLibre and JerryB as acting with “impartiality and scholarly approach”. I pointed out, for example, that FraterLibre’s “scholarliness” involved, among other things, his approaching the subject of the Modern Antiquarian website by only talking about the music there. No matter what anyone says, a snide and contemptuous attitude does not, generally, indicate any great degree of “scholarliness” or “impartiality”.
As far as that goes, Stu Neville represented me as “demeaning the integrity” of others, simply because “they hold other views”, and as being “uncivil”. That is a direct insult, but, by their own words, Stu Neville seems to think they can engage in that with impunity. It should be mentioned, though, that, if another does not respect truthfulness, yet you do, “demeaning their integrity” because “they don’t believe as you do” is far from a deplorable thing. Indeed, since they will not have integrity, “demeaning their integrity” seems not even to be a matter in question.
I mentioned that I have seen undesirable actions on other sites. Among these is to coat unquestioning acceptance of smirking and snide behavior as “respecting others”; asking those others not to disrespect you is to violate their “freedom of speech”! For one of the forum’s “golden boys” to lie is for them to “express theirs opinion”, to accuse a liar of lying is to “demean their integrity”. And the moderators inevitably facilitate the culture of obsequious acceptance of turpitude by threatening to delete posts of anyone who blows the whistle on disreputable activities on the forum. It is surprising just how hostile many people can be to the truth. The misuse of Occam’s Razor is just another demonstration.
In the end, those who seek the truth cannot allow themselves to be dissuaded by others’ opposition, or by the assertion that seeking the truth is “in bad taste”.

Julian Penrod

Julian (and others) please break long posts into paragraphs.

We don't all have huge monitor screens, and a solid mass of text is just a turn-off. How will you get your points across if nobody reads them?

Re: further response to reactions to posts on Anasazi roads

julianpenrod said:
To all:
This is not intended to make this thread overlong..
Not a problem :).
ibid
And that is the face of Occam’s Razor! At least in the “traditionalist” world of science. The “simplest” thing, they seem to insist, is not to invoke a new system, but just keep on chugging with the old system, and keep plugging the holes with new “details”! Whatever validity Occam’s Razor has, it has only when used by the honest and honorable...
..and when it presumably suits you to do so. As both The Ythian and myself have pointed out, Occam's Razor doesn't actually state that the simplest explanation is probably the truth.
ibid
Addressing my references to their comments, Stu Neville accused me of a “direct insult”. They, then, went on to utilize threat to, apparently, try to control my statements, pointing, for example, to their ability, as a moderator, to refuse to post any messages by me on the board. The “insult” referred to my taking issue with Stu Neville characterizing FraterLibre and JerryB as acting with “impartiality and scholarly approach”.
Bollocks! You accused me directly of misusing a philosophical technique for my own ends, and I replied thus:
me said:
That, my friend, is a direct insult as far as I'm concerned. I'm in the ineteresting position of being able to not only warn you, but if necessary ban you for such conduct - to do so, however, I feel would merely confirm the misguided views you so clearly hold of the moderators on this board. This once, I will let it pass.
At no point did I threaten to control your statements.
back to julianpenrod again
As far as that goes, Stu Neville represented me as “demeaning the integrity” of others, simply because “they hold other views”, and as being “uncivil”. That is a direct insult, but, by their own words, Stu Neville seems to think they can engage in that with impunity. It should be mentioned, though, that, if another does not respect truthfulness, yet you do, “demeaning their integrity” because “they don’t believe as you do” is far from a deplorable thing. Indeed, since they will not have integrity, “demeaning their integrity” seems not even to be a matter in question.
No, I don't buy that. The others you mention, as do many on here, respect the rights of others to hold an opinion: your main fault (apart from an inability to use paragraphs) is an apparent inability to see that others' theories have as much weight as any other theory when dealing with anything unproven: there are explanations with varying degrees of likelihood, but ulitimately all should be considered until your much vaunted "truth" is established. Your apparent attitude is that you already know the "truth", and as such no-one else's opinion has any validity: it is possibly for this reason that your own theories have come under such scrutiny.
ibid
I mentioned that I have seen undesirable actions on other sites. Among these is to coat unquestioning acceptance of smirking and snide behavior as “respecting others”; asking those others not to disrespect you is to violate their “freedom of speech”! For one of the forum’s “golden boys” to lie is for them to “express theirs opinion”, to accuse a liar of lying is to “demean their integrity”. And the moderators inevitably facilitate the culture of obsequious acceptance of turpitude by threatening to delete posts of anyone who blows the whistle on disreputable activities on the forum.
If it happens on here, I'd very much like to see specifics. The only textual deletions carried out by moderators on here are duplicated posts, flames, and deletions at member's own requests.
ibid
It is surprising just how hostile many people can be to the truth. The misuse of Occam’s Razor is just another demonstration.
See my response to this earlier in the post.
julianpenrod said:
In the end, those who seek the truth cannot allow themselves to be dissuaded by others’ opposition, or by the assertion that seeking the truth is “in bad taste”.
We're all seeking the truth, and at no point has anyone stated that seeking it is in bad taste. What is "bad taste" however, and purely in my opinion, is the constant overtone in your densely constructed and lengthy posts that you already know "the truth", and are merely imparting them to us from on high, presumably as you are engaged in "God's Work"TM - maybe if you were to adopt a less imperious tone, and actually read that which others say rather than taking umbrage at every opportunity, you may find the dialogue on these threads becomes more affable, and a lot more constructive.

Eh... Ley Lines, please? I'm quite interested in 'Ley Lines.

Has anyone given any thought to the ancient tracks of Britain, which were fashioned through necessity and geography? These ancient routes through otherwise inaccessible areas of dense forest and bog, ie the Somerset Levels, etc. are indeed very ancient, having been the optimium route, however winding, (between settlements and trading sites, sometimes over considerable distances), for millenia.

I'd like to see how these would map to the more disputed tracks of 'Ley Lines' on the landscape.

Fair point, Andro :).

On the subject of the Somerset Levels, there was a Time Team a couple of years ago that demonstrated how they built causeways linking little islands in the bogs: perhaps there were a deal more of these? As they were entirely of wooden construction, and most of the marshes have long since been drained, isn't it possible that most have long since decomposed and only the remnants of those still in boggy areas remain? As the areas surrounding the levels were heavily forested, wood was abundant - surely it's feasible that could have been an entire network of causeways, which in the main would have been fairly straight.

Just a thought :).

stu neville said:
On the subject of the Somerset Levels, there was a Time Team a couple of years ago that demonstrated how they built causeways linking little islands in the bogs: perhaps there were a deal more of these? As they were entirely of wooden construction, and most of the marshes have long since been drained, isn't it possible that most have long since decomposed and only the remnants of those still in boggy areas remain? As the areas surrounding the levels were heavily forested, wood was abundant - surely it's feasible that could have been an entire network of causeways, which in the main would have been fairly straight.
Such causeways were also a big feature of life in the extensive boglands of North Western Europe, from Northern Gemany and Denmark to the Netherlands. All those massive, alluvial river valleys and deltas, going back to the time that the Thames and the Rhine were connected together in one enormous, post-glacial, alluvial, river delta. That would be around 9000-10,000 years of possible development for such a 'bog trotting' civilisation!

Maybe we're dealing with a culture which developed not through 'stone age,' or agricultural/astronomical technology alone, but also through the need for a highly sophisticated knowledge of woodcraft and wetlands management?

Perhaps 'ley lines' developed as an offshoot of the need to navigate through the flat and reedy, water and bog of such a largely featurless landscape.

Think of the Crannoggs and Crannochs of Northern Scotland (and Ireland?). Perhaps the originators of the Ley Lines in the British Isles and Northern Europe were the aboriginal 'Bog People?'

We could be on to something here :). It's important to remember that these people were just as intelligent and inventive as we are today: they just lacked the resources we have. This probably made them a damn sight more ingenious - and as I said earlier, any evidence could well have just rotted away :(...

IIRC Stu, metallic finds are often associated with trackways through bogs. These are currently considered to be ritual sacrifices. Perhaps if metal finds in former wetlands of this period were plotted a network of such tracks could be found.

Re: further response to reactions to posts on Anasazi roads

Ok, accepting that we've strayed from the path of ley lines somewhat this will be very brief and pithy just to assure Jullian that i've not left the world of the sane and that i have no interest in philosophically supporting people claiming that cats have 5 legs!

julianpenrod said:
Frankly, "2+2=4" does not carry the "criteria" for proving its own truthfulness. That comes from elsewhere. And, for that matter, even in the Manichean system Gödel is described as ascribing to, the unprovably true statements could not possibly possess it, either, by definition![/b]

Agreed but that was what Godel et al dreamed of. A logically exact language whereby statements were clearly true, false, or unintelligible due to wrong formulation. If you choose to utilise his arguments and conclusions you must put them in their context.

“Facts ARE NOT states of affairs in the world”, The Yithian goes on to declare, “which can be simply compared to the the [sic] supposed word-pictures presented in propositions formulated through languge [sic], but are rather human, personal, subjective constructs and interpretaions [sic].” The forgiving would say that The Yithian is describing a deep and fundamental disconnect between observations and precepts backed by what can be called metaphysically unassailable tenets.
In fact, they are describing situations little different from machinations of the outlandishly spiteful.

Outlandishly Spiteful? :D You must have met some very strange chaps who really want to annoy you! My statements and the actions of your pet loonies have no connection. Stop being silly. What i was referring to was the distinction between knowledge and reality discussed from the pre-socratics to the modern day. Specifically the continential philosophers from Kant onwards, notably Husserl, Heidegger, and Sartre. My non-commital to traditional Cartesian window on the world epistemology has nothing to do with five legged cats and the near-schizoid fools.

...apparently, misinterpreting the connection of the Latin “facere” - meaning “to make” - to justify the interpretation of “facts” as purely subjective affairs only threatens to de-legitimize any argument you might make in that direction. “Facere” indicates something coming into being, being made solid, tangible, and it is that tangible and demonstrable quality of “facts” which connects them to the Latin root, not the presumption that “facts” represent something “made” by the viewer!

'tis a meta-argument my man. What's more i stand by the point of etymology. You seem to interpret this particular fact differently to me ;). I would merely ask how, precisely, does a fact 'come into being' if not by the human, subjective interpretation of states of affairs in the world? If facts were objective they would never 'come into being' except (possibly) at the beginning of time. I stand by my interpretation. All your points about subatomic particles are largely irrelevant as their 'agreement', or indeed any fact about them at all, is only judged and determined by human observation. There may well be shaddowy states of affairs going on without our knowledge but its not until anyone takes a peek that we 'know' anything or any 'facts' are created. As any quantum physicist will explain, all this is far from clear cut anyway as 'states of affairs' appear to be affected by the very act of observation. (See uncertainty, particle-wave duality etc.)

I'm not interested in your diatribe about the history of philosophy. Just because we disagee it does not make me a charlatan any more that it makes you one. If you claim X and i claim not-X that doesn't make me morally bankrupt or insane, we just disagree! You need to understand this point.

Niles Calder said:
IIRC Stu, metallic finds are often associated with trackways through bogs. These are currently considered to be ritual sacrifices. Perhaps if metal finds in former wetlands of this period were plotted a network of such tracks could be found.

Interesting, but could the association of metal finds and bog trackways be explained by such terrain helping to preserve the objects better. This isn't my field, just guessing. :)

I recall the time team that Stu mentioned. Of course, a physical basis for laylines in no way precludes them from also posessing more 'mysterious' properties. Any such distincton is tricky as most ancient peoples attached mythological and spiritual explanations to the most important physical and natural procesess is their lives. The main route across treachrous land (which would bring food, livestock, and other necessities of life) could easily be granted spiritual qualities in the same way that established pilgrimage paths were in the middle-ages (The actual journey and route walked formed a indespensible aspect of the whole religious eperience, every bit as important as the ultimate destination and culmination of the trip). Uh, perhaps you get what i mean...

If i have only one well to see me through a dry season that well takes on massive physical and spiritual significance for my tribe. Likewise if a volcano provides fertile land for my people whilst simultaneously holding the power to destroy my town, it is easy to see how it could be viewed as posessing supernatural power and identity.

Old Habits

Originally posted by The Yithian -- Of course, a physical basis for laylines in no way precludes them from also posessing more 'mysterious' properties. Any such distincton is tricky as most ancient peoples attached mythological and spiritual explanations to the most important physical and natural procesess is their lives.

As, no less, do we, although we rarely notice this.

Re: Old Habits

FraterLibre said:
As, no less, do we, although we rarely notice this.

Fair point, very true.

RE my theory of Ley lines earlier in this thread, a friend of mine brought the following to my attention in a discussion of something which at first seemed unrelated:

We live in a sea of electromagnetic fields, oblivious to what surrounds us. We are unaware of the Earth's magnetic field, the constant ripples of electrical activity from our own nervous system, and the many man-made fields around us.

As mobile phones, phone masts and other sources become more common, their effects become more important. And while fears of cancer clusters have largely subsided, other more subtle effects are entirely real. We are still learning what magnetic fields can do, but their effects may range from mild disorientation to plagues of ghosts, alien abductions and visitations from God Himself.

An early finding was the discovery in the 1940s that homing pigeons have a built-in compass. This was a surprise, because it was known that they normally navigate using the sun and the stars. A series of ingenious experiments showed they have a back-up system. Pigeons fitted with darkened contact lenses could still find their way home.

However, when small bar magnets were attached as well, they lost their homing sense. Further research revealed a layer of cells containing tiny crystals of magnetite between the pigeon's brain and the skull which allow the bird to find north with a very high degree of accuracy.

Honey bees navigate using the sun, but can still find their way on cloudy days. Scans showed magnetic cells in the bees'abdomen, but proving that they have an internal compass was a challenge. It is not so easy to fit magnets to a bee, never mind contact lenses.

A different approach was taken. Bees direct their fellow workers to food sources With a kind of wiggling dance. Researchers found that placing an electromagnet around the hive disoriented the bees so they were unable to communicate the right direction. When the magnet was switched off the bees regained their ability.

The list of creatures known to possess this sense now includes species as diverse as bacteria, butterflies and loggerhead turtles. Migrating whales rely on it, sometimes with tragic results. Pilot whales are most often beached in places where an area of low magnetic field strength coincides with a stretch of coastline.

Do humans have a magnetic sense? In some tests, volunteers showed a good sense of direction unless they were exposed to magnets. In other experiments, the magnets had no effect. It may be that the subjects in the second experiment were confused by the 'magnetic pollution" of overhead power lines and other sources. It may be that this pollution is so common that some people never learn to use their internal compass.

Whether or not we can sense weak magnetic fields, we know a stronger field can affect the brain directly. Dr Michael Persinger of Lawrentian University in Wisconsin has conducted a series of experiments using fields no more powerful than those from a hairdryer, with amazing results.

Dr Persinger's apparatus is called a Koren helmet. Clamped over the subject's head, it applies a field to specific parts of the brain that is modulated to mimic the brain's own activity. The effects vary, but often after a few minutes the subjects start to experience visions. The content depends on their background and beliefs. A Catholic may see the Virgin Mary, a Moslem might experience Allah. Others sense angels or other beings. The common feature is that there is a sense of a presence which is usually felt to be supernatural. One religious subject said the equipment should be exorcised because it contained the devil.

This research is tied in with the theory that geological activity produces natural magnetic "hotspots" giving rise to places where people have strange experiences.

This is thought to be the origin of haunted groves and houses as well as sacred sites where visionaries encounter God. Dr Persinger does not dismiss ecstatic visions as simply a product of electrical activity. His view is that this could simply be our way of perceiving the divine.

Another neuroscientist, Peter Brugger of University Hospital in Zurich, has linked the stimulation of the brains parietal lobes with certain types of eerie encounter. Excitation of these lobes makes us unable to distinguish between our body and the surrounding space. A distortion of body image occurs, an effect related to the way that amputees may sometimes feel a phantom limb. Some people may witness their body from outside, as an apparent replica of themselves. Another effect is the feeling of consciousness leaving their body entirely to float away in an out-of-body experience.

UFO researcher Albert Budden has visited the homes of people who have reported alien abduction experiences, and found they seem to have unusually strong electromagnetic fields. He traces these to interactions between overhead and underground power lines, radio and TV transmitters. "Abductees" often report a feeling of paralysis followed by sensations of floating, bright lights and a sense of being scrutinised by alien presences. These effects are all familiar to Dr Persinger's subjects.

Direct stimulation is also beginning to be used therapeutically, in a technique known as Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS). The field is applied to the left prefrontal cortex, an area which seems to be underactive in depressed patients. After daily treatment for two weeks the pre-frontal cortex appears to become more active again, and more than half of the patients reported that their depression had lifted.

Another possible use of TMS is in helping stroke victims recover their capabilities by stimulating damaged parts of the brain. However, research is in its infancy and the long-term effects have not been fully established.

New research brings the possibility of abuse. Oppressive regimes might be able to put direct brain stimulation to chilling use. Drugs such as LSD started out in the laboratory before being taken up by people in search of a new high. It is probably only a matter of time before direct brain stimulation attracts recreational users.

This might take the form of bootleg Koren helmets being rented in shady back rooms. Or maybe seekers will simply wander around arrays of microwave transmitters, looking for that magic resonant spot where the fields interact and they find themselves floating among angels and aliens.

reference UK National Press 31st August 2000
Perhaps in "The Guardian"??

http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/D.Jefferies/magneticbrain.html

Ley lines (again)

I know you've probably all been asked a thousand times but...

A friend of mine (really) is interested in Ley Lines and I was wondering if there's a site featuring UK maps showing where they are.

Thanks in advance for a link.

Here are some maps of the leylines around Glastonbury. Rather a lot :D There might be maps for other places, just googling should turn up something.

Bump! Ley Lines merged - or intersected - or whatever.

Well, I haven't merged anything for days - I was getting withdrawal syptoms! :D

Plus, Jimv's friend (really!) might learn something from this thread.

rynner said:
Plus, Jimv's friend (really!) might learn something from this thread.
He might even learn something about leys :rolleyes:...

Any more thoughts on the causeways, etc, idea?

Lines of Three or More

When important sites line up in sets of three or more into straight tracks, and paths for walking exist between them, then it seems the reason for the paths is self-evident -- to let people move from one important site to another. When such sites are otherwise unconnected, it might behoove us to extend the lines and see what larger sites may be creating what is essentially a route.

These days we set things along roads and highways between major cities. This forces us to wonder if any of the old sites were placed with an eye toward favoring a certain old straight track. If so, it rather demolishes those who insist such places are "power" nodes of some sort. More convenience nodes, really.

On the other hand, if so many places crop up as important and happen to form straight lines, then we need to explain that. Hence the dragon lines theories, etc.

I favor the former, convenience.

Dowsers sense leys. They connect sites of importance.
I understand this.

Does the site come first, or the alignment?

I've started building circles. I build them where I feel it's right. It's a mix of landscape aesthetics (it looks good there, it looks shite there) and a bit of 'this feels good'.

Will the leys bend to find my circles? I don't really think it matters too much. Just wondered. Maybe these newer ones will have different criteria. I like to think they'll be no less useful.
Ya can't stick in the past!

Are new leys being created?

I think leys are a human thing. If you use a site as a sacred space they will come or form,if you abandon a site they will fade or vanish. I was talking to someone who dowsed the new stone circle (put in as a millenium monument) on Ham Hill at Stoke Sub Hamden,Somerset. When it was first made she could pick up nothing,just a couple of years later it was buzzing with them.

Dun Ringill

As a dowser myself I belive David Raven has hit upon it when he mentions aesthetics and how right it feels. These were likely criteria, and perhaps asking which came first, the site or the line, is an outsider's sort of question, whereas a dowser would ask, "which came first, the water's depths or its surface?"

If the sites are connected in any way other than in our heads then likely they and the lines both exist at once and wait for us to discover them. If telluric forces are involved, we're sensing them where they exist, and perhaps where they wander, (as does the magnetic north pole, for example).

If we're somehow charging places with a human or human-focused force, we're able to make virtually any place special somehow on a spiritual level, but must still rely upon how the places affect us, with some being instantly peaceful and attractive, others harsh and repulsive.

That these things are largely subjective is obviouis. Whether that remaining 5% or so is physically real we haven't yet decided. Either way, meaning is where one finds it. Walk the lines, draw the circles, and spiral up the hills.

Yeah placement is part of it- you make a sacred space (for example) in a place you want to worship so it has to feel right to start with, this works for houses and roads etc. too that were built back before council planning departments- how many people's 'dream home' is one of those little old cottages that seem to have grown up out of the Earth? (or is that just me :D)

Back