• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I think leys are a human thing. If you use a site as a sacred space they will come or form,if you abandon a site they will fade or vanish.
I've just wasted ages trying to find one of my previous posts - without success- so here it is again, cos I think it's relevant:
A friend erected a 'sacred sculpture' just beyond my garden and held a ceremony with the local pagans to energise it. Eventually, due to protests etc. the sculpture was moved to another site. One of the granite posts belonged to me, so my friend replaced my 'standing stone', which became part of the sculpture, with an old granite gate post. Dowsing for water on the carn i dowsed the stone with no response, later my son dowsed it also with nill response. Now comes the interesting bit... one night at full moon, kids in bed, I crept out and taking a stick, beat the stone whilst reciting the bit of the ceremony my friend had used (calling down the moon power, deities etc). I must say I'd had a cider ot two but still felt anxious my neighbours might spot this maniac attacking a granite post at night. At weekend I dowsed the stone and got an immediate reaction...fair enough, 'cos I'd done the ceremony - but it still astonished me! Next, James dowsed the stone independantly and reported a reaction too, but didn't know about my escapades. So, what has changed in the stone to "energise" it? Last time I checked about a year ago, I still got a reaction. Are we then responsible for creating these energies?Back to u Marion :D

Home and Hearth

I don't think sacred sites are ever really homes, nor meant to be. You're quite right, though. If anyone's dream home is a pre-fab cube slapped together with the cheapest materiels, then they've had their dreams subverted and replaced with ashes, haven't they?

I didn't mean sacred site were homes,I meant in the old days people could put houses where they felt it was right, making them fit in with the world and feel good, they are much better places to live than lego estates dumped down just because the council lets people put them there,sacred sites would have been chosen in the same way, cause it felt right to put them there.
Living in a sacred site is a bit intense, some people can't cope but I like it!
I've heard of a few examples of new sacred spaces becoming energised (at an EM group meeting,the subject was 'what makes a sacred space?) such as a labyrinth and in one case just a building that someone used to walk round spinning a buddhist prayer wheel! Its maybe a localised energy rather than a linear one. (I'm only just starting out learning about this stuff, having to be careful not to take on other people's way of thinking,I want to keep my own innocent belief in what I feel.)

Feng Shui

Marion - Quite right, when the world was less populated and not every bit of land was claimed as owned, many were able to settle where they wished, and often chose the prettiest, best-feeling places. Many of those were what we'd now call sacred, yes.

The developments of endless tract housing contribute to our downfall and should be eradicated. People sense this, which is one reason Feng Shui is making such a come-back. People know something's wrong, off-balance, and in need of attention but they don't know what, so many seek out old ways.

Sometimes it even helps.

Sounds as if you're doing well in keeping your own senses clear. Good for you. Think for yourself and find your own way.

I tend to think that the whole subject of leys are in the realm of the imagination rather than anything real per se. They started off as something else with Watkins, but even then they may have been a flight of fancy on his part. To all intents and purposes, leys (be they tracks or 'lines of power', etc) are imposed upon any given landscape by those who are looking for them.

WRT dowsing for them - again, I think this is something that's imposed onto the ground. I would go as far to say that they are a form of suggestion. Take for instance, the map Marion gave of leys running through Glastonbury. Glastonbury isn't a religious site in any way aside from it's Christian aspect, but it still draws a variety of people because of some implied (and IMHO erroneous) mysticism. And so of course the area is thick with supposed leys. That map also shows Lamyatt Beacon, a pre-Christian religious site with a long history - but this has very few leys running through it. I'd suggest that this is because people do not not generally know of it's past and therfore aren't imposing the leys onto that point. They're not imbuing that place with any mystical wants or needs.

I think this all miles different from actual dowsing for water, which could possibly some extension of a relic capability our ancestors had for locating water supplies. But I think dowsing for anything else is a mish-mash of various things, that in turn were probably sparked off by T.C. Lethbridge and a few others.

JerryB said:
I tend to think that the whole subject of leys are in the realm of the imagination rather than anything real per se. They started off as something else with Watkins, but even then they may have been a flight of fancy on his part. To all intents and purposes, leys (be they tracks or 'lines of power', etc) are imposed upon any given landscape by those who are looking for them.

Like landscape zodiacs-maybe created by people but there now- I can feel some leys if I try (I don't like to dowse with rods or whatever)

WRT dowsing for them - again, I think this is something that's imposed onto the ground. I would go as far to say that they are a form of suggestion. Take for instance, the map Marion gave of leys running through Glastonbury. Glastonbury isn't a religious site in any way aside from it's Christian aspect, but it still draws a variety of people because of some implied (and IMHO erroneous) mysticism. And so of course the area is thick with supposed leys. That map also shows Lamyatt Beacon, a pre-Christian religious site with a long history - but this has very few leys running through it. I'd suggest that this is because people do not not generally know of it's past and therfore aren't imposing the leys onto that point. They're not imbuing that place with any mystical wants or needs.

There might not be anything specifically written or scientifically found to back up earlier religious/spiritual activity in Glastonbury (not that I've come across yet anyway) but I can't believe pre-Roman people came here,to a place rising sharply above low ground , with a pointed hill with a white mineral spring coming from a cave and a rounded hill with a red mineral spring just yards away from the white,echoing primitive red/white dyad beliefs and just think 'Oooh I'll settle here and grow apples and cows'.

A Balance

Like most things spiritual and paranormal in tone, it's probably about 95% psychological and 5% something outside our heads, what ever that may be.

Marion said:
There might not be anything specifically written or scientifically found to back up earlier religious/spiritual activity in Glastonbury (not that I've come across yet anyway) but I can't believe pre-Roman people came here,to a place rising sharply above low ground , with a pointed hill with a white mineral spring coming from a cave and a rounded hill with a red mineral spring just yards away from the white,echoing primitive red/white dyad beliefs and just think 'Oooh I'll settle here and grow apples and cows'.

Looks like they went to Lamyatt Beacon instead - there's evidence there of a possible pre-Roman religious site (a circle of buried red deer antlers). As the 'Landscape Mysteries' prog showed tonight, the Tor had to be pretty heavily altered to support any sort of crop, was covered by woods in the Neolithic, and that pre-Roman socities nearby instead chose to use others areas in which to live in. I tend to think that the whole shebang about the Tor is all down to those monks who used to live down the road in Glastonbury, which was amplified by the New Age movement ;) I think it tends to boil down to believing something about the Tor, rather than having anything tangible to focus on.

Marion said:
Just wait til he finds our there is already a Glasonbury thread! :D
There are several. I'll get round to it some time... :D

some comments on reasoning and the form of ley lines

To all:

A quality of truth is its seamless interaction with, derivation from and likely reference back to universal verities. Those things that were accorded the sobriquet "true" tend to lead to those things later considered "true", as well. And, in many cases, later "truths" can even be used to "prove" the previous "truths" that led to them. The sum of 2 and 2 will only be 4; certain operations with 4 can be used to work "backwards" to the sum of 2 with itself. That is not the way with what is considered "untruth". Adding 2 to itself will not yield 5, and no legitimate mathematical process will begin with 5 and end with a partition into 2's twice. "Untruth", on the other hand, tends to be proposed with collage "arguments" made up of only a few "truths", some misinterpretations, and some misdirections, aided with, likely, only some legitimate analysis, possibly accompanied by some convincing, but invalid, flummoxing. The untrustworthy might say that 2 + 2 isn't 3, it isn't 6, it isn't 7, it isn't 8, and so on, and end by "concluding" that the evidence indicates that 5 could be the sum. Perhaps that can be a defining characteristic of "truth", not so much that any one fact can be demonstrably derived from provable facts, but, rather, that it is but one of an internally consistent system of "facts", at least some of which qualify as "fundamental truths".

Much of this mirrors "arguments" that such as Frater Libre and JerryB use in their construction of the "explanation" for important sites being placed on straight line tracks, but those tracks not being motivated by some kind of ley energy. Frater Libre, for example, insists: "In a reasonably flat land, why curve roads?", while JerryB says that, maybe, "important sites tend to be along straight lines as it may have been important for them to be intervisible, perhaps as those people who used them trevelled from site to another"

. The suggestion, as is borne out by the theorizing about ley lines, connects significant ritual sites with ley line paths, but, then, appears to segue uncomfortably to an unsupported extrapolation from the geometric idea of a straight line. To be sure, by definition, a "straight line" is the shortest distance between two points, but ley line sites constitute a collection of points! If your idea is to site a number of places so that, as an aggregate, travel between them would be shortest, and communication between all of them the most direct, a straight line path is among the least efficient! Indeed, if you have an important site between you and the next one, all along a straight track, it would not be possible to see the next site! Sites all along a straight line path would not be "intervisible"!

In fact, if you wished to set out a series of important ritual sites, to keep them "intervisible", located within easy travelling distance of each other, and available for a "pilgrimage" type of trip, a circular path would be more amenable! A collection of important sites, set up along the borders of a circle would satisfy all the criteria! There may be straight line paths from one to the other, but the overall path of their distribution need not be! The Stations of the Cross is a good example. If you have twelve sites, each one mile from the next, to travel to the end, then back where you came from would be a 24 mile trip. If they were distributed in a circle, after travelling for 12 miles, you would end up back where you entered, and wouldn't have to retrace your steps! And, all the while, you would be able to see across the body of the circle, to the other sites! If ceremonial sites are located along a straight line, ease of travel, and direct commuting from one to the other is not a part of it! The use of the geometric quality of straight lines as an "argument" for their use in siting ceremonial sites is patently fallacious, and should be abandoned. Those with an honest interest in investigating the matter would not pursue that line of "argument" further.

Which means they would have to provide another suggestion for any putative "efficient engineering quality" in siting points along a straight line, or admit that something other than siting was the reason for placing important centers along straight lines!

Addressing some other matters, with respect to the issue, and other aspects of the issue, among other things, in considering the placement of the Stations of the Cross in a circular pattern, it began to seem reasonable to question whether other circular ceremonial sites might not also have played the same role. The formation of stones at Stonehenge, for example, could immediately call to mind a kind of ceremonial procession from one pair of standing stones to the next, a different prayer or ceremony being performed in each "archway"!

The suggestion has been made that patterns of pathways through boggy territories in Britain might also be related to the formation of ley line roads. Are similar paths, or boat routes, in the American bayous in any way similar to the paths to be found in Britain's bogs?

And Frater Libre insists on indulging in what they try to represent as "legitimate scientific investigation" while, in reality, engaging in little more than obfuscation. "It remains a valid question", they demand repeatedly, "Are Ley Lines actual or are they projections from our expectations? Are they artifacts of our brains' pattern-finding tendency?"

If you represent any pattern that is perceived as the remnant of an automatic "pattern-finding tendency" in human brains, then you cannot assign reality to anything! If you release a pencil a thousand times, and it falls to the ground, is that because there is such a thing as gravity, or is that a pattern you are assigning, based on the repetition of events? Certainly, Frater Libre seems willing to say that a thousand ceremonial sites, all located on the same straight line, does not connote that something is causing them to be located there; why, then, should a thousand pencils falling be interpreted as sign of a universal and reliable force?

Julian Penrod

The point WRT to sites along a straight line is that you could probably do the same thing with more mundane sites on any given map. Things like pertrol stations, hospitals, libraries, etc. or pratically anything could possibly line up. This doesn't mean that there's any esoteric connection bewteen such sites. The problem is that the whole subject of leys has become confused - it's starts off as theories about trackways (which in open countryside tend to follow straight, shortest point to point A to point B lines) to a mish-mash of theories about dowsing and lines of energy, etc.. Whilst the former theory may or may not have some little merit, the latter is IMHO a modern projection of a theory onto a misunderstanding of what Watkins was saying.

Personally, my jury is still out as to whether any sites are connected along any sort of line. But I still think that others may assign lines that interconnect sites by the human tendency to find patterns in things. It's a sort of simulacra, as it were.

Re: some comments on reasoning and the form of ley lines

Originally posted by julianpenrod

And Frater Libre insists on indulging in what they try to represent as "legitimate scientific investigation" while, in reality, engaging in little more than obfuscation. "It remains a valid question", they demand repeatedly, "Are Ley Lines actual or are they projections from our expectations? Are they artifacts of our brains' pattern-finding tendency?"

If you represent any pattern that is perceived as the remnant of an automatic "pattern-finding tendency" in human brains, then you cannot assign reality to anything! If you release a pencil a thousand times, and it falls to the ground, is that because there is such a thing as gravity, or is that a pattern you are assigning, based on the repetition of events? Certainly, Frater Libre seems willing to say that a thousand ceremonial sites, all located on the same straight line, does not connote that something is causing them to be located there; why, then, should a thousand pencils falling be interpreted as sign of a universal and reliable force?

Julian Penrod

--I insist? lol I only suggest.

Nor do I say that any pattern is merely due to perception. I'm asking why they perceived them this way. What prompted the observation in the first place? Was the prompt in our minds or in the land or in some combination of the two?

Further, yoiur attempted dismissal of valid scientific investigations is piffle. Why? Because unless and until some actual "energy" or other physically-based reason for the supposed ley lines to be where they are said to be, then we're left only with human pattern-finding, as you say.

further responses to comments and "arguments" agai

To all:

One has to wonder if there is some kind of a siren call to the unreasonable that makes the weak-minded pursue it, or whether sheer ill will and callous manner causes some to maintain a discredited concept.

Yet again, JerryB mouths the "explanation" for ley lines that they are formed by "trackways (which in open countryside tend to follow straight, shortest point to point A to point B lines)". Straight ley lines connect important sites, nay-sayers insist, because "a stragiht line is the shortest distance between two points, and, if people wanted to travel the shortest way to important places, they would site them all on a straight line path"! A straight line may be the shortest path between two points, but, as I've demonstrated several times - and the nay-sayers seem to insist on determinedly ignoring! - a straight line is not the most efficient plan for siting a number of significant spots! As I showed, if you have ten spots, along a straight line path, all one mile from the next spot, to travel from the first to the last, then back home, would be a distance of 20 miles or more! If they were placed in a circle of about 3.2 miles diameter, traveling between points would take up far less time! Deliberate siting of points - or even happenstance placement, to facilitate travel from existing spots - would never lead to a straight line placement!

It would be interesting to see what kind of "justifications" might be provided for "explanations" of straight line siting, that run counter to this reasoning! It would be interesting to see if anyone would try to argue that a 20 mile round trip could be easier than walking in a circle, and ending up back where you started after only 10 miles! If no legitimate explanation can be provided, then it would be hard to see if anything other than dim-witted inability to understand what was being said, or out-and-out malingering, could be at the root of continuing to insist that it is "natural" for peoples to lay out their important places in a straight line!

The conniving often try to gull the unwary by invoking professorially a technical fact, then proceed to misuse or misinterpret it! The unjustified extending of the "shortest distance between two points" characterization to more than two points appears a patent demonstration of just that! So much does it appear that way that it seems it should be established, right now, that any repetition of the "shortest distance between two points" statement, to "explain" ley lines, should be automatically viewed as a likely attempt to obfuscate the truth, by misleading the unwitting!

At this point, separate salient features should also be brought in.

JerryB asserts, too, that: "Things like pertrol [sic] stations, hospitals, libraries, etc. or pratically [sic] anything could possibly line up. This doesn't mean that there's any esoteric connection bewteen [sic] such sites." To be sure, in a densely populated area, it is possible to construct straight lines connecting any number of individual structures. But those JeeyB mentions cover a wide range of functions! The sites connected by ley lines constitute churches, shrines, birthplaces of saints, and so on! They all perform only the one, spiritual, function! Too, when the places sited along ley lines were built, the land was not as densely populated as JerryB posits in their "demonstration"! Finding ten points out of twenty thousand that lie along a line is not so difficult: finding ten points in a population of thirty that lie along a straight line is not so simple! Unless something was causing them to line up!

An important, but also apparently desperately ignored, point needs to be invoked here, as well.

Central to the "argument" of the nay-sayers, that important points naturally fall on straight lines, because those are the pathways people would naturally take, to go from one to the other, is that, in general, the pathways connecting points on ley lines are not straight lines! Many meander around hills, and divert deliberately to cross ancient bridges, or take advantage of natural fords! In fact, many of the sites that lie on ley lines aren't even connected directly by roads at all! When these sites were first constructed, road building was not as advanced as today, with immense earth movers to gouge out the land! Even today, in Chaco Canyon, Anasazi roads travel with geometric exactness, while modern day highways curve through the desert! Taking the path of least resistance!

And, in, for example, issue 111 of Science Frontiers, on http://www.science-frontiers.com, it is revealed that the sites of Casas Grandes, Chaco Canyon, and a site of Aztec ruins in northern New Mexico all lie within one kilometer of the longitude line 107º 57’! The three sites cover a distance of 450 miles, yet lie very closely on the same straight line! There is no reason to assume that roads were constructed deliberately straightly, in those days, over this long a distance! But, more than that, JerryB’s and FraterLibre’s suggestion would be that, starting at one site - say, northern New Mexico - and moving on, the ancient peoples decided to populate as apparently barren a place as Chaco Canyon, simply because it was on the straight line path south!

Which also invokes another aspect of the nay-sayer “point of view”, which completely denies the human part of siting along ley lines! Namely, the fact that, generally, spiritually significant places are placed along these lines! The “arguments” for “shortest distance between two points” discuss paths “logical” in terms of trade and travel. But many of the spiritual sites do not conform to trade meccas! And people did not, apparently, construct a shrine, then walk a straight distance in a direction, then declare that they’re feeling spiritual again, and decide to construct another site! Too, many of the devoted, in any faith, do not value ease of travel in making pilgrimages! In many cases, they treasure the ability to undergo great privations, and travel hard roads, to reach a holy place! They would not be inclined to deliberately make the roads straight or short! In many ways, opposition to the consideration of the existence of ley lines evidently constitutes a denial of the spiritual side of human nature altogether!

The suggestion that important sites lie on straight lines because "the people traveling from one to the other naturally tended to take a short straight line path" seems little more than calculated fraud! Those who genuinely wish to pursue the understanding of the phenomenon will abandon this line of "reasoning", because it is not a valid line of "reasoning"! Pursuing this "explanation" also cannot easily be interpreted to be anything other than deliberate, and contemptuous, obstruction!

Taking yet another tack favored by those intending to oppose understanding, namely adopting an authoritarian attitude toward valid protestations, FraterLibre addresses my points in a previous post, saying: "yoiur [sic] attempted dismissal of valid scientific investigations is piffle"! Where, exactly, did I engage in "attempted dismissal of valid scientific investigations"? And this is more than a question. I insist that FraterLibre point out where I did that, or admit that they were lying about me! Deceit, in the service of preventing the truth, is rampant, and has to be opposed!

"Unless and until some actual "energy" or other physically-based reason for the supposed ley lines to be where they are said to be", FraterLibre asserts agrammatically, "then we're left only with human pattern-finding, as you say." Their "reasoning" is that, if you have not proved every single aspect of your assertion, then it must be completely abandoned as worthless and void! Yet, throughout the history of "traditional science", numerous subjects, even those FraterLibre has not been shown to "critique", have proceeded, even been accepted and recommended, without the fundamentals being proved! Darwin, for example, posted the handing down of characteristics by a potentially mutable medium, yet he and his adherents knew nothing of genes! Even today, "continental drift" is determinedly defended, yet geologists still do not profess to know what makes the land masses move! They make nebulous references to "conduction columns" in the mantle, but still do not state categorically that that is the cause! Indeed, no physicist even claims to know how photons and gravitons really work, or why mechanical mass should be the same entity as "gravitational charge", but that doesn't discredit relativity or electromagnetism, in the eyes of "traditional scientists"! And what if the influence that causes ley lines to be built upon is not one that is measurable by any instruments, not just the ones presently available? Does the fact that no devices can measure the force behind ley lines make them cease to exist? We are told that, for thousands of years, the equipment to measure magnetic force was not in existence, but magnetism existed, nonetheless!

To be sure, the nay-sayers may try to counter that humans can detect the influence behind ley lines, why else would they build along them? Use humans to measure the influence and prove it, they might recommend! Yet the nay-sayers also insist that the perception of ley line influence is also an “optical illusion”, in those “devices” suggested to measure the influence! The only “device” that, supposedly, can detect the influence behind ley lines is, thus, “disqualified” by nay-sayers! “Invalidating” precisely the means that can prove a point they don’t want others to know about is another tactic of those who seek to obstruct the truth!

Completely answering every question is not accepted as the litmus test for a legitimate theory, or even hypothesis! More recommended is the ability of a theory or hypothesis to predict occurrences! Specifically, even evolution has not satisfied that criterion, since not one occurrence of observed speciation has ever been predicted to occur! While the exact orientation of ley lines is not predicted in theory, yet, the fact that all places of spiritual import seem to fall on straight lines connecting them with more than one other such site is, apparently, confirmed!

Overall, there is no valid disclaimer that has been mounted against the basic proposition that spiritual sites conform to straight lines totally unrelated to routes of travel between them!

Julian Penrod

Julian - you seem to me to be taking things a little too literally. My personal opinion is that the whole subject of ley lines = lines of energy is somewhat flawed. It arose out of Watkins original ideas about simple trackways in the landscape. He made no mention of any sort of energy being involved. But even his idea may just be that and nothing more - an idea, based on patterns he thought he saw in the landscape. For some reason leys have mutated into some sort of strange energy network that criss-crosses the landscape and links various sites. Why this has happened, I'm not sure. But I'd guess that it arose from getting the wrong end of the stick about what Watkins was theorising about. Thus, the whole theory about leys that exists outside of Watkin's ideas are an abstraction of an idea, without any real grounding in anything measurable or tangible. It's all very convenient to say that religious sites were aligned along straight lines, and that these lines are traced out by the energy in leys, but one would have to be able to prove that. Without the energy lines of leys, the straight-line alignement of sites could arise from more mundane things, and even then not necessarily anything of any real import. It could, after all, be accidental, a result of the percipient placing a pattern over what they see. It seems to me that two seperate ideas - stright-line alignment and 'energy' ley lines have collided and mutated into a new theory - a theory which some of us don't think is especially convincing. I don't think there's any point saying that some of us are trying 'gull the unwary' - we're just discussion our ideas about this subject from our own theoretical point of view. This is why I've used the word 'probably' in my previous posts on this subject.

I think you should also explain if you think that leys are ceremonial pathways of some sort, straight or not, or 'lines of energy'.

Michell

It arose, this connecting perceived ley line patterns to energy grids, when John Michell, (The View Over Atlantis, 1969), linked ley lines with Taoism's dragon lines.

Ah yes, I remember now. I haven't read that book for a looooong time, so this slipped my mind!

Probably double posting...

....but I posted this link on the Evil Towns thread, but it's still relevant here.

It's from 'At the Edge' a now defunct magazine that looked at the interface between archaeology and mythology.

The article is about supposed alignments in Milton Keynes (which by way of explanations for JP and other non-UK board members is a large 'New Town' started in the 1960s, and regarded as in Britain as a bit of a joke and being the dullest place on the planet).

As anywhere in Britain there are historic and ancient sites in the area, but some of the new East-West roads are supposed to form alignments with landscape features and three named after ancient sites are supposed to align with the midsummer sunrise, and also intersect in a significant manner with an ancient trackway.

Article at:
http://www.indigogroup.co.uk/edge/eminmk.htm

Whether this is a genuine piece of geomantic design, a town planner's joke, mysterious forces that compels us to follow ancient patterns, coincidence or another example of the human capacity to form patterns from a random scatter of lines and points is the open question.

The problem with linking significant or loosely defined sacred sites in the UK is that in 50 to 60 centuries of habitation we've built cursuses and henges, erected standing stones (circles, lines and monoliths), built tracks, mounds, round barrows, long barrows, hillforts, temples, and churches: in addition there are holy wells, chalk figures, hills that stand out from their surroundings - we've a very crowded landscape – many major building projects in the UK kick up another piece of archaeology, graves, temples roads. The land may not have been densely populated in the past, but it's been populated for millenia, plenty of time for sites to accumulate.

It would be surprising if you couldn't draw straight lines, that connect, or at least pass within spitting distance of several of these sites. Again the question is whether these are meaningful or whether it’s just our capacity to spot apparent patterns and make links.

JP I don't know what the sitution is with the Anasani roads, I only know of them from a few TV documentaries, though I seem to remember it being suggested that the Chaco Canyon wasn't as arid as it is now.

And as for building straight roads, the Romans built them straight from preference, making angled bends only when they came to something that they really couldn't go through or over, and they only had shovels, picks and manpower.

Density

Sheer density of sites and the smallness of the Isles contributes to this, yes. It'd be amazing if a straight line drawn at random DIDN't connect at least three ancient sites.

Similarly, I imagine that stone circles and so on were dotted all over the landscape and not just concentrated in certain energy areas, most having been robbed and destroyed by building and farming etc. over the years, so drawing a line anywhere would connect with something from the past. There is only one circle on the common behind me now, but acc. to early archaeological maps there were many.

Mounds Too

Same with the mounds of variious sorts found in the tens of thousands all across the northeast USA and south-westward into the Mississippi valley when Europeans began settling. They destroyed most of them, flattening them so they could farm and, later, looting them for pottery to sell to collectors. Damned shame.

brian ellwood said:
Similarly, I imagine that stone circles and so on were dotted all over the landscape and not just concentrated in certain energy areas, most having been robbed and destroyed by building and farming etc. over the years, so drawing a line anywhere would connect with something from the past. There is only one circle on the common behind me now, but acc. to early archaeological maps there were many.

I was wandering around Calderdale last weekend and was absolutely staggered by the number of standing stones, circles, enclosures, burial mounds etc.
Some are shown on old O.S. maps (1800's), lots aren't. Some are recorded by the 'gentlemen antiquarian' travellers of yore; many more by spoken folk-tale.

There's even references to old, long-lost stones in my suburban neighbourhood!

We musta been practically tripping over the things!:D

i think this is the place for this?

if lays are "power lines" as (1) other(s) have suggested

could they (lays) have been used by shamens/healers in either a "oobe" way to travel to nodes of power to seek answers etc from others like themselves?

or in a physical sense like "levatition" to meet other shamen/healers?

what im trying say is:-
maybe lays "are/were" a ancient form of modern travel networks?

(sorry if the above doesnt sound articulated. but i have differculty trying to get ideas/thoughts across to other people on paper as it were). oh please move/alter (not too much tho :) ). i may have posted something similar else where)

There is some debate as to whether leys are some sort of OOBE 'sprit paths' used by shamans. Of course, this could be seen an idea which muddies the waters even further ;)

Spirit Paths

Yes, Paul Devereux was looking into the spirit path thing, and I think the shamanic experience does likely play into those places -- look at our own response to them. However, it muddies things when one goes on the assumption that ley lines have mysterious powers and all that.

That's when it does get murky.

Have a read of 'Shamanism and the Mystery Lines - 'Ley lines, Spirit Paths and Out-of-Body travel' by Paul Devereux, Melf.

Back