• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

I'd have been itching to get off and explore--and if I'd managed it, they'd have to come and find me!

=============================================================​

London Underground: Tube mishap sees train pull into abandoned station​

Adriana Elgueta
BBC News
Published: 2 August 2023

London Underground passengers were left bewildered when their train accidentally pulled into an old abandoned station during a regular journey.

The eastbound Jubilee line service had been travelling from Green Park to Westminster on Sunday when it stopped at the Jubilee branch of Charing Cross Tube station, which has been out of use since 1999.

One passenger told the BBC when the train came into the station "I noticed that Westminster station looked unusual and as the train slowed, I noticed the roundels said Charing Cross and not Westminster".

Transport for London (TfL) said the mishap was the result of a "miscommunication".

The passenger, who asked not to be named, said once the Tube had come to a halt "the train driver spoke over the intercom and verbatim said 'sorry I have no idea what happened' as the entire train stood flabbergasted.

"One guy even tried to operate the open door button!"

The passenger added the driver was then "chuckling" when they explained that the control room at Green Park had sent the train down the wrong track.

The station was used by Jubilee line trains from 1979 but has been closed to passengers for nearly 25 years.

Nevertheless, the tracks are still live with empty trains on the Jubilee line occasionally having to pull into the sidings towards Charing Cross to regulate the service.

The station is also occasionally used for filming.

A TfL spokesperson explained that the lost train had been directed to reroute into the sidings to regulate a late service, with an instruction for passengers to disembark at Green Park.

However, a "miscommunication" had meant that not all passengers had been able to leave the train before it continued into the old Charing Cross station.

They said it then went "straight back to Green Park to allow those customers to leave the train".
Comments from staff -
It has not been out of use since 1999. The station is still maintained to passenger standard so that it can be used as a terminus still during engineering possessions from Westminster. That has to be planned however so that it is staffed and open!

Charring Cross is still used often for filming, last time I was there all the signs still said Temple station!

(Stopping there is) often used often as a reversing move.

A long time ago on a Met Line commute, we were informed of 'signal failure in the Wembley Park area'. It took an hour to crawl from Harrow to a set of red lights outside Wembley (I was standing). Signal changed and off we went, but looking up from my book I didn't recognise the scenery outside the window. A few hundred yards later it was becoming obvious we were not on the Met line but on the track heading to the washing & maintenance shed at Neasden Depot. Driver stopped and we were informed that we would reverse as soon as the lights were reset at the spur. An hour later we were back at the original set of red lights. The train eventually took us to Wembley park and taken out of service, the driver rushed off to the tea room for a cry whilst the passengers were told to disembark and eff off. An hour after that I got into Work.

There are many abandoned subway stations in New York City including the huge station called “ Old City Hall “ which was beautifully decorated in 1945.

And then there are the homeless “ mole people “ who live in the subway system that very rarely come to the surface.

I bet their vitamin D levels are bad !

Human Services last counted 3,400 mole people or also known as “tunnellers.

Last edited:
Back