• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Looking For A Photo Of An Uncanny Old Man Seen In Fortean Times

whyfie

Fresh Blood
I'm trying to find a photo I saw in a Fortean Times issue around 20 years ago, and I figured this would be a great place to ask!

When I was a kid, we had a family friend who knew I was into aliens, UFOs, cryptozoology, and the like, and he was too. He had a subscription to Fortean Times, and he started giving me his old issues after he’d finished them. This was an ideal situation for tiny me, and it fed my imagination greatly. I can’t tell you how many hours I spent leafing through the pages and imagining what was out there.

I was frequently enthralled by interesting accounts of strange phenomena as well as some weird and sometimes shocking photos. There’s one photo and story in particular that lodged itself in my brain, though, for some reason. It wasn’t a photo of a purported alien, or a shot of Bigfoot, or anything like that. It was a relatively unassuming picture of a specter of an old man standing right outside of someone’s screen door.

It’s been about 20 years since I saw the photo and read the accompanying story, so some details might differ from what’s actually there, but here’s how I remember it. A reader claimed that they were visited by someone at their home. When they answered the door, an older man was there, or at least what at first appeared that way. I vaguely remember them trying to talk to the old man and being immediately put off by his appearance. The thing was that all of his proportions seemed off, particularly his head. They managed to get a photo of the figure, and sure enough, there was a profoundly uncanny appearance to him. His head was far too large when compared to the screen door in front of him, and I seem to remember that you could almost see through him.

The photo itself is typical of digital photos from the late-90s to mid-2000s, with blurriness and compression artifacting, but the face itself looks blurrier than it should be and blurrier than the rest of the photo. The face is close, very large, and takes up a good portion of the photo, framed by the left and right sides of the screen door. The head is a bit misshapen, squarish, and far too large, but apart from the fact that it seems you can slightly see through it, you’d be forgiven for assuming this was a living person standing in front of you. Behind the old man was greenery, I want to say woods. I don’t remember eyes, or other facial features. It was more like the suggestion of facial features. I don’t remember him having any hair, and I can’t stress enough how absolutely huge his head was. It seemed to be roughly in proportion to the rest of him, which I think contributed to not realizing at first that something was off, but when compared to the size of the screen door, you could immediately see that this made no sense.

I sadly lost all my Fortean Times issues in a move long ago, but I’ve gone through quite a few issues after the fact and included a list below of ones the photo is NOT in. A rough year range for the search would be 1997-2004. It could’ve been from an issue a bit older than that, but I don’t remember receiving many with the logo seen here: https://ft.gjovaag.com/w/FT118. I remember more with the logo seen here: https://ft.gjovaag.com/q/images/b/b0/FT129.jpg. I’ve checked up until May of 2004, but it could’ve appeared in an issue slightly later than that. I remember him giving me FT issues starting around 2001 and continuing to give me them until around 2004. I’m positive this was a reader-submitted story and photo, and I’m fairly certain it appeared in the “letters” section toward the end of the issue. I tried to have AI generate this photo, and while they’re not super close, these were the ones that were closest: . The top left photo has the most accurate screen door effect, background, and overall color grading, while the others capture the uncanniness and strange proportions better. I’ve been thinking about this photo since I first saw it half a lifetime ago. If anyone with old FT issues could find it (or even add to my list of issues it’s not in), I would be incredibly grateful. Thanks in advance for your help!

List of Fortean Times issues the uncanny old man photo is NOT in:

Fortean Times 104 (Dec 1997)

Fortean Times 142 (Jan 2001)

Fortean Times 164 (Dec 2002)

Fortean Times 165 (Jan 2003)

Fortean Times 166 (Feb 2003)

Fortean Times 167 (Mar 2003)

Fortean Times 168 (Apr 2003)

Fortean Times 169 (May 2003)

Fortean Times 170 (Jun 2003)

Fortean Times 171 (Jul 2003)

Fortean Times 172 (Aug 2003)

Fortean Times 173 (Sep 2003)

Fortean Times 174 (Oct 2003)

Fortean Times 175 (Nov 2003)

Fortean Times 176 (Dec 2003)

Fortean Times 177 (Special 2003)

Fortean Times 178 (Jan 2004)

Fortean Times 179 (Feb 2004)

Fortean Times 180 (Mar 2004)

Fortean Times 181 (Apr 2004)

Fortean Times 182 (May 2004)

Could it have maybe been listed as a ghost photo? If so have you had a look for ghost pictures in the magazines?

Or maybe, considering the big head, it was considered an alien or shapeshifter in the magazine.

Could it have maybe been listed as a ghost photo? If so have you had a look for ghost pictures in the magazines?

Or maybe, considering the big head, it was considered an alien or shapeshifter in the magazine.
From what I can remember, this was treated as a ghost/apparition. The photo is fairly burnt into my mind, so what I've been doing is flipping through every page of every issue in that time range I can get my hands on and looking for it that way. I'm fairly certain it's in the back, and likely in the It Happened To Me section, like gordonrutter said, but I just want to be thorough and check everywhere!

By coincidence, when I read the initial post I was sorting through boxes, some of which contain old copies of FT, and took the opportunity (used the excuse) to take a little time off (get completely distracted) and have a bit of a hunt for the image (read some incredibly interesting/thoughtful/bonkers letters going back twenty years).

Sad to say, I didn't succeed.

The closest I came to the image was this, from FT 199 - August 2005:

20230528_164659.jpg

...and I'll admit to getting a wee bit excited at first, because a very quick scan of the story describes something being seen through a door.

But the image, I'm pretty sure, is an FT generated one - and the story doesn't match.

That said, it's still a good story:

20230528_164714.jpg

By coincidence, when I read the initial post I was sorting through boxes, some of which contain old copies of FT, and took the opportunity (used the excuse) to take a little time off (get completely distracted) and have a bit of a hunt for the image (read some incredibly interesting/thoughtful/bonkers letters going back twenty years).

View attachment 66542

...and I'll admit to getting a wee bit excited at first, because a very quick scan of the story describes something being seen through a door.

But the image, I'm pretty sure, is an FT generated one - and the story doesn't match.

View attachment 66543
I really appreciate the effort, and that story is absolutely wild! A nice consolation either way. I'm glad you at least got a little trip down memory lane! :)

A quick update for those interested: I emailed Paul Sieveking and asked him about this, and he actually responded quite quickly! Unfortunately, he said that it doesn't ring a bell, but he's going to consult his colleagues and keep an eye out when looking at back issues. A bit of a bummer, but the search continues!

View attachment 66542

View attachment 66543
Same account turns up in the stick man and shadow man threads on here. That poster also had a very evocative encounter with an entity wearing a stovepipe hat. I mention these links for anyone who might share Spookdaddy's urge for distraction research.

Every time I look in the flippin' mirror I see an uncanny old man looking back at me - but he still has the mind of a teenager!!

Among other things, just where did my lovely head of hair go?

(I know that's a rhetorical question but the answer would be my lower back, my ears etc...)

Same account turns up in the stick man and shadow man threads on here. That poster also had a very evocative encounter with an entity wearing a stovepipe hat. I mention these links for anyone who might share Spookdaddy's urge for distraction research.
I was going to suggest ‘hat man’ for the OP to look into for the photo, maybe its one of those stories.

I was going to suggest ‘hat man’ for the OP to look into for the photo, maybe its one of those stories.
The photo I'm thinking of doesn't seem connected (the man in my photo definitely wasn't wearing a hat), but these stories are still very interesting!

I'm sorry to yank this thread further off -topic, but the original decritption of the photo as showing a head which was `far too large` put me in mind of a singular story told to me by a Canadian friend and colleague once.

The witness was in his late forties when I knew him, but in his twenties when the event took place. He and a friend wwere prowling through rural British Columbia (a location was given but I've lost it) - just looking for adventure, I suppose.

They chanced upon an old deserted house standing alone in a field. Idly, they went to the downstairs window (which was still intact) and peered into what I suppose was the main hall. It was then that they saw it. Some sort of entity was masking its way down the stairs from the floor above! They looked at each other and promptly fled the scene....

So far so `meh` - but it was his description of the apparition/ entity which has stayed with me. He described it as being translucent and gigantic, with `enlarged` limbs and head - like some sort of spectral ogre (my words).

The person who told me this took little interest in the paranormal and was niot given to telling tall tales. I am inclined to believe the account insofar as I think he was describing accurately enough what he thought he saw.

It was told as a `ghost story` - but (as with the photo mentioned by the O.P) it seems most unlike most ghost stories that I know of (in which the appartions are normal human-size). Is there some other phenomenon involving apparitions of people of great size or magnified features? Does anyone know of other such examples?

Anyway, I hope the photo gets found (and lives up to the frisson it has generated!)

I've enlisted the help of reddit, and some folks are digging through back issues now! Here's an updated list of issues the photo is not in:

Fortean Times 92 (Nov 1996)
Fortean Times 98 (May 1997)
Fortean Times 104 (Nov 1997)
Fortean Times 105 (Dec 1997)
Fortean Times 107 (Feb 1998)
Fortean Times 142 (Jan 2001)
Fortean Times 164 (Dec 2002)
Fortean Times 165 (Jan 2003)
Fortean Times 166 (Feb 2003)
Fortean Times 167 (Mar 2003)
Fortean Times 168 (Apr 2003)
Fortean Times 169 (May 2003)
Fortean Times 170 (Jun 2003)
Fortean Times 171 (Jul 2003)
Fortean Times 172 (Aug 2003)
Fortean Times 173 (Sep 2003)
Fortean Times 174 (Oct 2003)
Fortean Times 175 (Nov 2003)
Fortean Times 176 (Dec 2003)
Fortean Times 177 (Special 2003)
Fortean Times 178 (Jan 2004)
Fortean Times 179 (Feb 2004)
Fortean Times 180 (Mar 2004)
Fortean Times 181 (Apr 2004)
Fortean Times 182 (May 2004)

I can't express how relieved I am that this actually exists, despite the fact that I got so many of the story details wrong! :hahazebs: In a strange twist of fate, while searching for this photo (but before it was found), I came across this account on an old Angelfire site that I was particularly moved by (pasted and linked below). It turns out that account was an update to this original story!

"FT122: I thought you might like an update on the events at my Welsh farmhouse and field [FT113:26]. Although no more visions have been reported in the field, it remains a haven of tranquillity, a place of healing both mental and physical. Most of the "paranormal" activity is occurring in our farmhouse.

We appear to be haunted by a friendly monk who is almost like one of the family. We have called him Brother Adolphus (Brother Dolly for short). I have seen him on three occasions: my adult daughter, Adrienne, once; and my 13-year-old Down’s Syndrome son Jean-Paul, claims to see him quite often. Even when he is not visible we are aware of his presence. Brother Dolly walks the landing and the staircase and most nights we hear his footsteps. Sometimes he lifts the latch on the bedroom door as if about to enter, then thinks better of it.

In October 1998 a stain in the shape of a cross materialised over the mantelpiece in our sitting room. On 2 January 1999, after a few days’ holiday, we came home to discover writing on the wall of the sitting room. The word is tangnefedd, which we have discovered is an Old Welsh word for peace. It is usually used in a religious context and is seldom heard today.

As you can imagine, we find all this activity intriguing. Our pet monk’s presence is totally benign and the farmhouse exudes a warm friendly atmosphere. Rose-Mary Gower, Mold, Flintshire."

https://www.angelfire.com/weird/junkyard/ghosts.html

Back