• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I watched this Horizon tonight. An excellent programme, laying out all the technical facts clearly, with no padding or superfluous graphics. In fact, it's one of the best Horizons I've seen. All those weeks of searching, summarised in 60 mins.

Now on iPlayer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... ight-mh370

rynner2 said:
I watched this Horizon tonight. An excellent programme, laying out all the technical facts clearly, with no padding or superfluous graphics. In fact, it's one of the best Horizons I've seen. All those weeks of searching, summarised in 60 mins.

Now on iPlayer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... ight-mh370

I agree, a great program last night. The other best horizon I have seen is "The Fall of the World Trade Center".

Malaysia MH370 jet hunt will move south, Australia says

The next phase of the hunt for missing Malaysian jet MH370 will move hundreds of miles south, officials have said.
The search will focus on an area 1,800km (1,100 miles) off the city of Perth, Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) chief Martin Dolan said.

Nearby areas were previously surveyed from the air, but the undersea hunt was directed north after pings were heard.
The jet vanished en route from Kuala Lumpur to Malaysia on 8 March with 239 passengers on board.
Experts had hoped that the pings detected shortly after the plane vanished were from its flight-data recorders.
But after weeks of searching the ocean floor, it was concluded that the noises were unrelated to the plane.

Search teams have now returned to the initial satellite data to frame the new search area.
"All the trends of this analysis will move the search area south of where it was," Mr Dolan said.
"Just how much south is something that we're still working on."

They expect to make an announcement next week on exactly where the search will take place.
He said it was unlikely the new focus would be as far from land as the aerial surveys had been.

UK firm Inmarsat told the BBC this week that their data had helped to frame the new search area.
The firm said there was a "hotspot" that they had calculated was the most likely area for the plane to be located.
It's not clear to what extent Inmarsat analysis is being used to define the new search area. Data from other satellite firms is also being used.

Before search teams can start looking for the plane, the seabed will be mapped.
A Dutch firm has been contracted to carry out a detailed survey of the ocean floor.
The sea in the area is 6km deep, and the analysis is expected to take three months.

Many of the relatives of the missing passengers have been frustrated by the lack of progress in the search.
Crews have not been able to find a trace of the plane.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-27936167

Hmmm. I'm not convinced by this latest development. I still have my doubts as to whether the plane went South at all.

We'll see.

MH370 search: Pilot Zaharie Shah named as ‘chief suspect’ by Malaysian investigators after plans for Indian Ocean flight found on simulator

Malaysia’s criminal investigation into the disappearance of flight MH370 has identified the plane’s pilot as its prime suspect, it has been reported.

While the official results of the inquiry are yet to be published, details have been passed on to foreign governments and crash investigators, according to the Sunday Times.

They revealed that after detectives carried out 170 interviews and profiled all of the 239 people on board the Boeing 777 when it vanished on 8 March, Captain Zaharie Shah was left as the most likely perpetrator if deliberate human action is to blame.

Satellite data provided by the British firm Inmarsat have shown that the jet took a sharp left turn after leaving Malaysian airspace en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing. It then followed a long arc deep into the southern Indian Ocean, where it presumably ran out of fuel and crashed.

Investigators have previously refused to “clear” the captain’s flight simulator of suspicious activity, and it now appears they found evidence of routes programmed to take a plane far out into the Indian Ocean and practising landing using a short runway on an island.

The data from the simulated flights had been deleted, the Times reported, but computer experts were able to retrieve them.

The police probe has also revealed that the 53-year-old captain was unique among those on board the flight for having no recorded commitments, either socially or for work, to take place after the date of the MH370 journey. ...
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 54672.html

Worth noting there that the 7th July bombers bought return tickets on the London Underground... whatever the reasons for that were, some degree of forward planning doesn't rule out suicide, and vice versa.

The claims about the flight simulator remain ambiguous too, perhaps the pilot had plotted a route that way, perhaps he had plotted many routes and that was one of them?

MH370 latest: Pilot spoke final words from cockpit, says wife
Wife identifies voice behind sign off as that of Zaharie Ahmad Shah, not co-pilot as previously claimed, as Malaysia Airlines' commercial chief says search could take decades
Jonathan Pearlman in Sydney and Tom Phillips in Shanghai
9:55AM BST 24 Jun 2014

The wife of the pilot of the missing Malaysia Airlines plane has broken her silence and revealed that her husband Zaharie Ahmad Shah spoke the final words from the cockpit, not the co-pilot, as the airline has said.

Two New Zealand journalists writing a book about the flight say they spoke by phone to Faizah Khan, who revealed that her eldest son had identified the voice which delivered the final sign-off of as that of his father. The call was made from the cockpit to air traffic controllers in Kuala Lumpur less than an hour after take-off.
The Boeing 777 disappeared on March 8 with 239 passengers aboard; no wreckage has been found despite a continuing international search.

Geoff Taylor, deputy editor of New Zealand's Waikato Times, said he and his co-author Ewan Wilson spoke to Zaharie's brother-in-law Asuad Khan in Penang and then to the 53-year-old pilot's wife. Khan initially claimed the voice from the cockpit was not Zaharie's but then telephoned his sister Faizah, who spoke in the journalists' presence and confirmed the voice belonged to her husband.

"In the three months-plus since the flight went down no-one in the media has been able to get close to Zaharie's widow," Mr Taylor told the Waikato Times.

"We were lucky to get confirmation from her that it was him who was at the helm. It's a breakthrough, because that was an unknown until now. It puts Zaharie right in the mix."

In the second week after the plane went missing, Malaysian Airlines chief Ahmad Jauhari Yahya said initial investigations found the final words were spoken by Fariq Abdul Hamid, the co-pilot. He also said the words were "All right, good night" - a message which raised suspicion as it did not follow the protocol of giving the call sign.

Weeks later, Malaysian officials revealed they had not yet confirmed who delivered the final sign-off and that the words were actually "Good night Malaysian 370."

On Sunday it emerged that Zaharie had used a flight simulator at his home to plot a path to a remote island deep in the southern Indian Ocean, where much of the recent search operation has been focused.
That discovery has rekindled suspicious that the pilot may have hijacked the plane and deliberately steered it off course.
But Hishammuddin Hussein, Malaysia's acting transport minister, rejected reports that police now considered the pilot as the "prime suspect". "We should not entertain conspiracy theories," he told Malaysia's The Star newspaper on Monday.

More than three months have now passed since the plane disappeared and no physical trace of it has been found despite a massive multi-national search effort.

On Monday, Malaysia Airlines' British commerical chief admitted that the hunt for the missing plane could take "decades" due to the size and topography of the search area.

Hugh Dunleavy, a former Ministry of Defence employee who became the airline's director of commercial operations in 2012, said he believed something "untoward" had happened to the plane.
"I think it made a turn to come back, then a sequence of events overtook it, and it was unable to return to base," Mr Dunleavy told the Evening Standard.

"I believe it's somewhere in the south Indian Ocean. But when [a plane] hits the ocean it's like hitting concrete. The wreckage could be spread over a big area. And there are mountains and canyons in that ocean. I think it could take a really long time to find. We're talking decades," he added.

Mr Dunleavy, who is originally from Ealing, defended his company's initial response to MH370's disappearance.
"People say, 'Why didn't you work quicker?' But you're calling pilots, explaining the situation, waiting for them to send out pings, doing the same to the next plane, then the next, and it's four in the morning, you don't have 50 people in the office, only a couple. An hour goes by frighteningly quickly – you realise that the missing plane is now another 600 miles somewhere else."

However, he criticised the Malaysian government for taking so long to reveal that the missing plane had turned back over the Malay peninsula towards the Strait of Malacca.
"I only heard about this through the news," Mr Dunleavy said. "I'm thinking, really? You couldn't have told us that directly? Malaysia's air traffic control and military radar are in the same freakin' building. The military saw an aircraft turn and did nothing."

"They didn't know it was MH370, their radar just identifies flying objects, yet a plane had gone down and the information about something in the sky turning around didn't get released by the authorities until after a week. Why? I don't know. I really wish I did."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... -wife.html

Suicide is a very strange thing.

No one has ever been able to conclusively say that my late wife killed herself(deliberately) or not, not even me, and I was there.

She had been cheerfully going on about finally being able to ditch her feeding tube and eat real meals again. Then she went to bed, and asked me not to wake her, as she had difficulty sleeping. She never woke up.

She had a record of impulsive suicide attempts.

If this pilot was planning felo-de-se, he might have still made plans-it's difficult to accept the fact of a world without you, of not being any more.

A serial murderer on death row continued his many business ventures up to the last moment, when told it was time for him to be executed, he said, "Can't this wait a few minutes, I'm closing a big deal here!"

Another prisoner asked to save his pie for after his execution.

Never expect logic from someone bent on self-destruction.

There is also the fact that such a thing might fail, and then plausible denibility is going to be important. To avoid the bin.

Logic tells us-this has happened before. The Captain is in control of the aircraft, and is trusted to keep it safe.

Occam's razor is satisfied here. It well might have been the pilot all along.

Of course, the little green men are more fun.....

New missing Malaysian plane MH370 search area announced
[Map: The new underwater search will initially focus on the orange area indicated]

A new search area for the missing Malaysian plane has been announced by the Australian government after further analysis of satellite data.
The search will now shift south to focus on an area 1,800km (1,100 miles) off the west coast of Australia, Deputy Prime Minister Warren Truss confirmed.

Flight MH370 vanished en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing on 8 March with 239 passengers on board.
Officials said they believed the plane had been on autopilot when it crashed.
A 64-page report released by the Australian government concluded that the underwater search for the plane should resume in the new 60,000 sq km area.

An extensive search of the ocean floor was conducted in April after several acoustic pings, initially thought to be from the plane's flight data recorders, were heard. However, officials now believe the pings were not caused by the plane.

"It is highly, highly likely that the aircraft was on autopilot otherwise it could not have followed the orderly path that has been identified through the satellite sightings," Mr Truss said.
Martin Dolan from the Australian Transport Safety Bureau said data showed the plane was on autopilot

Analysis: Jonathan Amos, science correspondent, BBC News

The new search area focuses on the "7th arc" - a line through which the analysis suggests the jet had to have crossed as it made a final, brief, connection with ground systems. The interpretation of the data is that this "electronic handshake" was prompted by a power interruption onboard MH370 as its fuel ran down to exhaustion. As power came back on, the jet tried to log back into the satellite network.

My sources tell me that following that logon request there would normally have been additional "chatter" between the network and MH370. That these connections are not seen in the data log are a very strong indication that the jet was heading down.

Several teams within the investigation have been running the numbers; this is not the sole work of the satellite system's operator - Inmarsat.
The collective opinion of several independent teams has therefore arrived at a zone of highest probability covering some 60,000 sq km. Once the ocean floor there is mapped, the investigation team can then summon the best - but also the most appropriate - submersibles in the world to go hunt for sunken wreckage.

etc...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-28031741

Worth noting there that the 7th July bombers bought return tickets on the London Underground...

OT, but is that actually true? You tend not to buy "return tickets" as such on the Underground (I'm not even sure if you can now) but rather a pass which enables you to travel around throughout the day.

They travelled to London from elsewhere didn't they? I can't remember now...

staticgirl said:
They travelled to London from elsewhere didn't they? I can't remember now...

They travelled from Luton. And you can't get a return ticket on the underground!

On Sunday it emerged that Zaharie had used a flight simulator at his home to plot a path to a remote island deep in the southern Indian Ocean, where much of the recent search operation has been focused.

Wait a minute - which island? Why don't they look there then?

eburacum said:
Wait a minute - which island? Why don't they look there then?
The only islands I could think of were the Kerguelen Islands, but they seem too far east.

But there are others, it seems:
Southern Indian Ocean Islands tundra

The ecoregion stretches from Prince Edward Islands in the west, past the Crozet Islands to the Kerguelen Islands 1500 km to the east, and includes the active volcano Heard Island and the nearby McDonald Islands

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_ ... nds_tundra
Although interesting for their wildlife, none of these seem to have human settlements - or runways either...

MH370: New evidence of cockpit tampering as investigation into missing plane continues
Investigations into the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 have revealed apparent tampering of systems in the cockpit
By Jonathan Pearlman, Sydney
2:26PM BST 29 Jun 2014

Air crash investigators probing the disappearance of Malaysia Airlines MH-370 have discovered possible new evidence of tampering with the plane's cockpit equipment.

A report released by Australian air crash investigators has revealed that the missing Boeing 777 suffered a mysterious power outage during the early stages of its flight, which experts believe could be part of an attempt to avoid radar detection.

According to the report, the plane's satellite data unit made an unexpected "log-on" request to a satellite less than 90 minutes into its flight from the Malaysian capital, Kuala Lumpur, to the Chinese city of Beijing. The reports says the log-on request - known as a "handshake" - appears likely to have been caused by an interruption of electrical power on board the plane.
"A log-on request in the middle of a flight is not common," said the report, by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau. "An analysis was performed which determined that the characteristics and timing of the logon requests were best matched as resulting from power interruption."

David Gleave, an aviation safety expert from Loughborough University, said the interruption to the power supply appeared to be the result of someone in the cockpit attempting to minimise the use of the aircraft's systems. The action, he said, was consistent with an attempt to turn the plane's communications and other systems off in an attempt to avoid radar detection.
"A person could be messing around in the cockpit which would lead to a power interruption," he said. "It could be a deliberate act to switch off both engines for some time. By messing about within the cockpit you could switch off the power temporarily and switch it on again when you need the other systems to fly the aeroplane."

Inmarsat, the company that officially analysed flight data from MH370, has confirmed the assessment but says it does not know why the aircraft experienced a power failure.
"It does appear there was a power failure on those two occasions," Chris McLaughlin, from Inmarsat, told The Telegraph. "It is another little mystery. We cannot explain it. We don't know why. We just know it did it."

The Australian report released by Australian authorities has revealed that the Boeing 777 attempted to log on to Inmarsat satellites at 2.25am, three minutes after it was detected by Malaysian military radar.
This was as the plane was flying north of the Indonesian island of Sumatra. The aircraft had already veered away from the course that would have taken it to its destination of Beijing, but had not yet made its turn south towards the Indian Ocean.

The aircraft experienced another such log-on request almost six hours later, though this was its seventh and final satellite handshake and is believed to have been caused by the plane running out of fuel and electrical power before apparently crashing, somewhere in the southern Indian Ocean. The other five handshakes were initiated by the satellite ground station and were not considered unusual.

Asked whether the power interruption could have been caused by a mechanical fault, Mr Gleave said: "There are credible mechanical failures that could cause it. But you would not then fly along for hundreds of miles and disappear in the Indian Ocean."
Another aviation expert, Peter Marosszeky, from the University of New South Wales, agreed, saying the power interruption must have been intended by someone on board. He said the interruption would not have caused an entire power failure but would have involved a "conscious" attempt to remove power from selected systems on the plane.

"It would have to be a deliberate act of turning power off on certain systems on the aeroplane," he said. "The aircraft has so many backup systems. Any form of power interruption is always backed up by another system.
"The person doing it would have to know what they are doing. It would have to be a deliberate act to hijack or sabotage the aircraft."

etc...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... inues.html

Channel 4 news is saying that someone posted a pic just before he got on it, joking that it might disappear :nooo:

New clue emerges suggesting possible location of MH370
Search for plane to resume next month amid claims plane, which disappeared on March 8 with 239 people on board, could have turned south earlier than previously thought
By Agencies
8:40AM BST 28 Aug 2014

The hunt for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 will start within a month and take up to a year, focusing on the southern part of the existing search zone after a new clue to the plane's possible location emerged, Australia has said.

Fresh information suggested the jet "may have turned south" earlier than thought, Warren Truss, Australian deputy prime minister, said on Thursday.
The detail came to light following "further refinement" of satellite data and as investigators attempted to map the plane's position during a failed attempt to contact it earlier in its flight path.
"The search area remains the same, but some of the information that we now have suggests to us that areas a little further to the south - within the search area, but a little further to the south - are of particular interest and priority in the search area," he said.
The latest phase of the search is expected to concentrate on a 23,000-sq-mile patch of sea floor some 1,000 miles west of Perth.

His comments came as Australia and Malaysia inked a memorandum of understanding in Canberra over the next phase of the hunt for the plane, which disappeared on March 8 with 239 people on board en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing.
The signing followed a meeting between the two nations and China's Vice-Minister of Transport He Jianzhong.
The plane is believed to have crashed into the southern Indian Ocean far off the west coast of Australia after mysteriously diverting off-course, but a massive air, sea and underwater search has failed to find any wreckage.

Experts have now used technical data to finalise its most likely resting place deep under the Indian Ocean and are preparing for a more intense underwater search, beginning next month.
It will focus on a dauntingly vast stretch of ocean measuring 23,000 square miles (60,000 square kilometres).

Mr Truss said that during efforts to map MH370's location when Malaysia Airlines tried to contact the jet, it was "suggested to us that the aircraft may have turned south a little earlier than we had previously expected".
"After MH370 disappeared from the radar, Malaysia Airlines ground staff sought to make contact using a satellite phone. That was unsuccessful," he said.
"But the detailed research that's being done now has been able to... trace that phone call and help position the aircraft and the direction it was travelling."

The minister said investigators still believed MH370 was somewhere on the search zone's seventh arc, where it emitted a final satellite "handshake".
"It remains on the seventh arc - that is, there is a very, very strong view that this aircraft will be resting on the seventh arc," he said.

Mr Truss added ongoing mapping of 87,000 square kilometres of the ocean floor had uncovered "quite remarkable geographical features", including the discovery of new volcanos up to 2,000 metres (6,562 feet) high.
"In one place in particular... the sea depth is as little as 600 metres, and then falls away in just a very short distance to 6,600 metres," he said, indicating the complex task ahead.

Malaysia's Transport Minister Liow Tiong Lai promised to provide "more regular updates and information" about the search when they arise.
"Malaysia will provide the necessary financial contribution towards the search effort and match Australia’s commitment.
"I want to assure the loved ones of the passengers and crew on-board MH370 that we are resolute in our efforts to search for this aircraft.
"I have been touched by many of the stories I have heard and we will do our best to engage the next of kin and help them find closure."

Liow, who replaced Hishammuddin Hussein as transport minister in June, added that Malaysia had so far spent about Aus$50 million (US $47 million) on the search and would match Australia's financial commitments in the tender costs for equipment.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... MH370.html

Has the bit about Malaysian Airlines attempting to contact MH370 via satellite phone been mentioned before?

All along they mentioned trying to contact the airliner, but I can't find where they mentioned using a sat-phone.

EnolaGaia said:
Has the bit about Malaysian Airlines attempting to contact MH370 via satellite phone been mentioned before?

All along they mentioned trying to contact the airliner, but I can't find where they mentioned using a sat-phone.

I have doubts that the plane flew south at all. This is due to the fact that the US has a 'secret' air base on Diego Garcia. I cannot believe that they do not have 24/7 radar coverage of the entire area!

Unless they aren't telling us something....

I have doubts that the plane flew south at all. This is due to the fact that the US has a 'secret' air base on Diego Garcia. I cannot believe that they do not have 24/7 radar coverage of the entire area!

Very good point. Since the very start, things have been very quiet about Diego Garcia. Whilst i don't believe for one second some of the more outlandish CTs regarding CIA "remotely flying the plane" etc etc, it's always struck me as odd that the most sophisticated spying apparatus in human history didn't pick up ANYTHING!

I've heard the argument that the US (and others) wouldn't be interested in commercial aircraft, but given the events of 9/11 it would seem reasonable that any object would at least be monitored.

tavbet said:

Radar? Radar is so-o-o last century, darling! It's basically only line of sight, and Diego Garcia is on other side of the Indian Ocean. But the US does have...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diego_Garc ... facilities

But it was satellite info that told us the plane went south, and the Americans haven't disputed that. Why would they? It's no skin off their nose either way.

MH370 investigators probe 1,000 'possible' flight paths
With the underwater hunt for MH370 set to restart, the mission's Australian chief says he does not want to create 'false hope' but believes the plane can be found
By Tom Phillips, Shanghai
1:00PM BST 07 Sep 2014

Six months after the disappearance of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 the man leading the operation to find it has admitted investigators are still having to consider 1,000 possible flight paths it may have taken before crashing into the southern Indian Ocean.
Martin Dolan, the chief commissioner of the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB), which is coordinating the search, said his team faced an "intimidating" and "unprecedented" challenge as it prepared to launch a one-year offshore search operation that could cost up to £29.5 million.

The only near certainty was that Flight 370 had gone down in a remote and inhospitable expanse of ocean that, at nearly 618,000 sq miles, is more than three times the size of Spain.
Asked if he could guarantee that the plane's wreckage would be found, Mr Dolan told The Telegraph: "I'd like to be that confident, but this is unprecedented.
"I don't want to raise the hopes of the families of the people who were lost in this accident and then dash them again. I don't want to create a false hope.
"But I don't want them to write it off either, because we do think we have a reasonable prospect. We just don't have a guarantee."

Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 disappeared in the early hours of March 8 as it flew from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing. There were 227 passengers and 12 crew on board the Boeing 777.

Despite a massive multi-national search stretching from the Gulf of Thailand to the Bay of Bengal and, finally, the Indian Ocean, no trace of the plane, or even its black box, has been found. Following several false leads, an underwater search was suspended in late May while Australian and Chinese survey vessels built a map of the almost entirely unexplored depths of the Indian Ocean.

Now, six months after the biggest mystery in modern aviation history began, the search is about to recommence, with Australia and Malaysia recently agreeing to split a bill that could rise to A$52 million (£29.5 million). China, which had 153 citizens on the plane, is "reflecting" on what its role in operations [is]and will play no immediate part.

The search, which has been contracted out to Fugro, a Dutch engineering firm that provides services to oil and gas companies, will see three vessels deployed over the coming weeks, according to the ATSB chief.

- In the week beginning Sept 22 a vessel called Go Phoenix, which has been hired by the Malaysian government, will kick off the operation. It will use "next generation sonar synthetic aperture" equipment that is capable of producing a high-resolution image of the sea bed, Mr Dolan said.

- In the week beginning Oct 13, the Fugro Discovery survey vessel, which had been operating out of Aberdeen, is expected to join the mission.

- Finally, in early November, a third vessel, the Fugro Equator, should arrive. Both Fugro vessels will use underwater "deep tow" instruments that can be lowered close to the sea bed on protective armoured cables, and should enable search teams to see what is down there.

Simultaneously, an international team of experts and analysts from nations including the United Kingdom, Australia and France will continue to analyse "the backside off" data obtained from the flight's satellite communications and flight simulations to try to further narrow the priority search areas, Mr Dolan added.

Investigators have for months been convinced the plane crashed into the southern Indian Ocean, somewhere along a 2,485-mile (4,000km) curve known as the "seventh arc".
"We know that the aircraft is in the water or on the sea floor close to that arc, and we are doing everything we can - which is a lot - to make sure we find it there," said Mr Dolan.

However, analysts had still not been able to pinpoint precisely where along that curve Flight 370 ended.
"At one point we had them all more or less agreeing on the same area. We are now finding with the slight change in the assumptions about the data that we can't get full agreement. So we are going to have possibly two areas of primary focus," Mr Dolan said.

It was now considered a certainty that the plane crashed somewhere within a 618,000 sq mile area around the seventh arc. But that area was far too big to be "practically searchable" and even a vastly reduced priority area posed an enormous challenge, Mr Dolan admitted.

A narrowed down search area of around 23,000 sq miles (60,000 sq km) had in recent weeks increased to a "range of priority areas" totalling around 38,610 sq miles (100,000 sq km), he said. Teams would examine a series of "hard" objects detected on the ocean floor during the mapping process but Mr Dolan said they appeared to be geological formations rather than anything related to Flight 370.
"We haven't seen anything that very clearly looks like aircraft wreckage or wreckage of any sort."

While the techniques being used to try and find the plane were not new, "the scale on which we are doing them it is unprecedented and the terrain as we are mapping it is quite complex", he said. In some places the water is close to 20,000ft deep.

"There are mountains, crevasses, extinct volcanoes, sheer cliffs and various other things which will make it slower and more complicated." And he pointed out that the location of the crash site of Air France Flight 447, which plunged into the Atlantic, was known to within a comparatively small area, yet "it still took two years to find it".

The wreckage would only be found if the governments bank-rolling the hugely expensive and time-consuming search stayed the course, Mr Dolan warned.
"Nominally, it can go on forever until you have eliminated everything. But, with the sort of area we are talking about, there will come a point I would assume where the governments say, 'It is good money after bad and we no longer wish to continue.'

"But that is a matter for government. I am not making that decision. I know that the Australian government has given me a significant amount of money and the Malaysians have agreed to match it.
"In the areas we look we are confident that if it is there we will find it but there is no absolute guarantee that we will be able to cover all the possible areas."

Investigators believe Flight 370 changed course as a result of a "deliberate act" but appear to have reached a dead-end in trying to discover who provoked its mysterious disappearance.

The lack of answers has left many families clinging to conspiracy theories. However, Mr Dolan argued that a "reasonably clear picture" of the plane's final trajectory was starting to emerge, even if there were still approximately 1,000 possible paths it could have taken within the seventh arc.

"There is an infinite possible number of tracks that the aircraft could have flown along, but for practical purposes there are about 1,000... from the point of its turning south," he said.
The first areas to be searched at the end of this month would be those related to the "highest probability tracks".

Mr Dolan described the task ahead as "intimidating but also revitalising".
"This is what we are here for: to try and help solve these problems, to find the answers," he said.

"As a father - as someone with a family that I love very much - I try and understand the tragic elements of this: the 239 who are missing as a result of this event. I think that the best thing that I can do in that circumstance is to at least try and solve the mystery and give some certainty."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... paths.html

Police ‘abuse’ families of missing air passengers

Six months after Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 went missing, relatives of those lost, desperate for any hint of what happened, say Chinese authorities have become openly hostile towards them.

In interviews, several relatives described how they had been detained and physically abused by police — seemingly in retaliation for publicly pressing Chinese and Malaysia Airlines authorities for information about the hunt for the plane.

“In the beginning, Beijing police were protecting us, but their attitude has completely changed,” said Cheng Liping, 38, whose husband was on the flight.

“I can’t fathom why they’re doing this. I feel so incredibly disappointed.” ...

For the relatives, neither their pain nor their quest for answers has eased, and that seems to have become an annoyance for China’s authorities.

Police have beaten at least two people whose children were on the flight, several family members said. In one case, a woman in her 50s was hospitalised for three days. ...

http://www.irishexaminer.com/world/poli ... 85344.html

Flight MH370: New search images reveal seabed details
By Richard Westcott, BBC Transport Correspondent

The team looking for missing flight MH370 has released detailed images of the seabed - revealing features such as extinct volcanoes and 1,400-metre depressions for the first time.
The collection of data from one of the most secret parts of the world is a by-product of the search.
Until now there were better maps of Mars than of this bit of the sea floor.

The Malaysian Airlines plane vanished without trace on 8 March with 239 people on board.
Twenty-six countries have helped look for the Boeing 777, but nothing has ever been found.
The aircraft was flying from the Malaysian capital, Kuala Lumpur, to Beijing.

The team at the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB), which is leading the hunt for the plane, is using sonar to map the new "priority" search area, at the bottom of the Southern Indian Ocean.

After that they will deploy two or three deep sea vehicles to begin the painstaking, inch-by-inch seabed search for wreckage.
The "priority" area is based on the only piece of hard evidence investigators have, which is a series of brief, electronic "hellos" between the Boeing and a satellite.
It is the equivalent of your mobile phone buzzing next to a loud speaker because it is checking in with a ground station, even when you are not making a call.
But those "hellos" don't give an exact location, just a very rough idea, so the smaller, "priority" area is still 60,000 square kilometres (23,200 square miles) - an area roughly the size of Croatia.

Making sonar maps is vital to ensure the team does not crash its deep-water vehicles into ridges and volcanoes. The equipment is pulled along just above the sea floor by a 10km-long armoured cable.
Snagging that cable could damage the kit, or even cut it free, so the maps help them avoid any obstructions.

The deep sea search vehicles have sonar that can pick out odd lumps, cameras that can double check if that lump is wreckage or just a rock and an electronic nose that can smell aviation fuel in the water, even if it is heavily diluted.

The operation to find flight MH370 is the most complex search in history. They may find clues within months. Or they may never find the aircraft.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-29378953

MH370 search area could be extended
16 April 2015

The search area for the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 will be doubled if nothing is found in the current search zone, officials say.
The announcement came from Australian, Malaysian and Chinese ministers meeting to discuss progress.
The plane, flying from the Malaysian capital to Beijing, disappeared on 8 March 2014 with 239 people on board.
It is believed to have crashed off Western Australia, but so far no trace has been found.
At the moment teams using sophisticated sonar equipment are scouring a 60,000 sq km (23,000 sq mile) area of seabed far west of the Australian city of Perth. About 40% of this remains to be searched.
If nothing is found, the search will be extended by another 60,000 sq km to "cover the entire highest probability area identified by expert analysis", a joint statement from the ministers said.

etc...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-32331650

Back